Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hawowanlawow posted:

parts of the congo river are 720 feet deep. that's nuts

I bet there's hecka cryptids down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tree Bucket posted:

Mokole Mbembe

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
More often than not, when you hear a vocal harmony in a Nirvana song, it's Dave Grohl.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sir Lemming posted:

More often than not, when you hear a vocal harmony in a Nirvana song, it's Dave Grohl.

If you hear a naff voice in the backing vocals of anything from Immediate! Records, it's probably Mick Jagger.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Tree Bucket posted:

the perfect thread for cryptid postulation

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Captain Hygiene posted:

The recovery time on those things is also insane, if things go well. My mom had one put in last year and I think she went home the day after, way different than I was expecting for anything to do with getting into the arteries. Hope things go well with your cousin's recovery.

My father in law had one put in a few months back. He was out of hospital the day after, and out doing his normal 20km walks by the end of the week. It’s incredible what medical science is capable of.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tree Bucket posted:

It's great how "chameleon" translates as "ground lion." You've got an animal that dwells in trees, can change colour, and can shoot out a long sticky tongue, and you think, "ah it's just like a lion, only on the ground"

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Fokker does, actually, etymologically translate to "fucker"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Splendid posted:

Fokker does, actually, etymologically translate to "fucker"

I loved playing this game and announcing very loudly, "Mom! Dad! I'm playing Fokker, okay? Is it okay if I play Fokker? I'm going to play Fokker for a while, okay?"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I recently found out that video cameras never used film. In fact, that was the whole point! They used to have things like CRTs in them, to convert images into electrical signals.

I always thought they used film, just a crappy kind of film compared to cinema-quality stuff. I figured maybe I had this impression from VHS tapes, which had reels of stuff in them

...which I *also* just found out weren't film either, but magnetic digital storage.

In fact, it turns out (also new knowledge to me) that the word "video" itself means "electronically recorded moving images". I had thought it simply meant "recorded moving images", including both electronic and film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There were handheld consumer-grade film cameras, most commonly 8mm.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

There were handheld consumer-grade film cameras, most commonly 8mm.

I even saw some the other day at https://www.acmi.net.au/ !

I even work for a company that makes digital movie cameras and related equipment! :psyduck:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pookah posted:

I have a tiny hole in the roof of my mouth, I mentioned it to a doctor once, but they brushed over it.
I can only assume I was close to having a cleft palate, and the only actual event was this tiny hole.
It's really dinky, like the size of a grain of rice.
Can you use a straw without also sucking air in your nose?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hyperlynx posted:

I recently found out that video cameras never used film. In fact, that was the whole point! They used to have things like CRTs in them, to convert images into electrical signals.

I always thought they used film, just a crappy kind of film compared to cinema-quality stuff. I figured maybe I had this impression from VHS tapes, which had reels of stuff in them

...which I *also* just found out weren't film either, but magnetic digital storage.

In fact, it turns out (also new knowledge to me) that the word "video" itself means "electronically recorded moving images". I had thought it simply meant "recorded moving images", including both electronic and film.

Actually it just means "I see", just like Volvo means "I spin". (Remember, kids; o s t mus tis nt). And the o is long, just like in veto.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Actually it just means "I see", just like Volvo means "I spin". (Remember, kids; o s t mus tis nt). And the o is long, just like in veto.

Ah, video.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

The hit 1985 single by Til Tuesday doesn’t go “Hush hush, keep it down now, this is scary”. It’s ”Hush hush, keep it down now, voices carry

You know, as in the loving title of the song. :doh:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Creature posted:

The hit 1985 single by Til Tuesday doesn’t go “Hush hush, keep it down now, this is scary”. It’s ”Hush hush, keep it down now, voices carry

:doh:

(first time i heard it, i thought it said "this is gary," and assumed gary was a ghost or something trying to speak, so be quiet)

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

:doh:

(first time i heard it, i thought it said "this is gary," and assumed gary was a ghost or something trying to speak, so be quiet)

I actually prefer your version

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Creature posted:

I always thought it was "this is scary" and then she rhymed it with "voices carry" in the next line. But no, it's just "voices carry" the whole time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

The one that blows every young person’s mind is that there was a time when videotape didn’t exist but the television camera did.

Every television broadcast was live. Actors would repeat their performances for western time zones.

If something absolutely had to be recorded, it had to be done on motion picture film. This was expensive, more expensive than paying the cast and crew twice, and it left artefacts such that it didn’t look the same as an normal TV broadcast with a TV camera.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I didn't just find this out but I remember reading a science book from the 1910s talking about telefacsimiles (at some point later shortened to telefaxes) as an old and mature technology. Pretty mind-blowing!

e: I say science book but it had a decidedly technological bias. Like fifty plates of different electricity generators etc.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 11:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

The one that blows every young person’s mind is that there was a time when videotape didn’t exist but the television camera did.

Every television broadcast was live. Actors would repeat their performances for western time zones.

If something absolutely had to be recorded, it had to be done on motion picture film. This was expensive, more expensive than paying the cast and crew twice, and it left artefacts such that it didn’t look the same as an normal TV broadcast with a TV camera.

I didn't realise I qualified as a young person, because holy poo poo!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Radio also predates magnetophones.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Microwave ovens first became commercially available in the 1940s, domestically available in the 1950s and by the late 1960s companies like Sharp and Raytheon were selling benchtop home units

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Microwave ovens first became commercially available in the 1940s, domestically available in the 1950s and by the late 1960s companies like Sharp and Raytheon were selling benchtop home units

I'm the Marimekko knock-off mugs.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Radarange is an awesome name and I wish it stuck and became the genericised term

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

flavor.flv posted:

Radarange is an awesome name and I wish it stuck and became the genericised term

"Why does your voice keep fading in and out?"
"AMANA RADARANGE!"

Now with rotating platter!

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

I turned 6 in 1976, and our new home had a large, dedicated space for a microwave. This was unusual at the time. Two big dials, one for power and one for time. I had an old babysitter (like, 60 or 70 years old) who refused to use the microwave. I thought she was a loon, and told her so. She didn’t like me.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I think the repeat performance thing was more something from the radio days. By the time national TV broadcasts were widespread you had stuff like Kinescopes and Telecines which were literally 'a 35mm movie camera pointed at a CRT' and 'a broadcast camera pointed at a projection screen' respectively.
That's how a lot of old TV shows survived. The early seasons of I Love Lucy were all recorded this way, before they started just shooting on film directly.

The artefacts it left were mostly just lower quality from being a lower resolution copy. Afaik kinescopes were still filmed at the normal NTSC/PAL framerates and not 24 FPS like with cinema stuff, so you didn't get weird errors like 2-3 pulldown.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The phrase is actually "just deserts" and not "just desserts." I'm still gonna keep writing desserts, though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yes, "deserts" pronounced "desserts" but meaning neither the hot dry place nor the yummy thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Well that's dumb. Who would come up with a dumb saying like that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of what it is, wtf does that phrase even mean? I've never eve thought about it before. Deserts makes even less sense.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Regardless of what it is, wtf does that phrase even mean? I've never eve thought about it before. Deserts makes even less sense.

A "desert" meaning a thing you deserve. The word has fallen out of use outside that phrase.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenebrais posted:

A "desert" meaning a thing you deserve. The word has fallen out of use outside that phrase.

It's a "fossil word", an archaic word thast has fallen out of general use but survives as part of a popular idiom. Other examples are "champing at the bit", "kith and kin", "hither and yon", "bated breath", etc etc

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I always thought it was just desserts too. I never really thought about it much but I think I was picturing bad people getting a stale old dry cake or a turd in a pie pan.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

flavor.flv posted:

The only thing I remember about the movie American Hustle is Jennifer Lawrence insisting on calling her microwave the "science oven." That would have been an acceptable substitute, as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Honestly, I just like to go back to basics and call it The Magnetron.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It's a "fossil word", an archaic word thast has fallen out of general use but survives as part of a popular idiom. Other examples are "champing at the bit", "kith and kin", "hither and yon", "bated breath", etc etc

“Beck and call” frequently becomes “beckon call” because no one recognizes “beck” as its own word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Beck isn't a fossil. Mellow Gold came out like 5 years ago.