Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

My favorite is HARIMAY CHRIISTMASS

Danish is such a weird language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if thats the same couple, shouldnt they be x + 20 years old if thats one xmas per movie?

its like how Conan in Detective Conan should have aged back to normal even with multiple (muders/cases) per day.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm partial to the second one in the second row. A story of a horrible Christmas Abomination that takes on the form of a loving couple joined together at the flesh-colored mass where their hands should be.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's a Gerry Anderson Christmas!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

PhazonLink posted:

apparently those movies have a production scheduled just under the crazy pace that soaps do.

also they do shooting in spring or summer so actors have cold packs in those winter coats. also cgi breath fog.

They don't even wait for December to start aiting them on TV, either. Hallmark showed Christmas movies every week in February, on both of their movie channels.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I have high hopes for Hharletstmas

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

I had an uncle in a Wrangler commercial once years ago and he had the same experience but the other way around. They were shooting at night/pre-dawn in Montana and it got stupid cold randomly the day of shooting, but the scene was them all working hard outside and sweating in slow motion and stuff, but "it got cold enough that you could see our breath with the lighting, so we all had to keep ice chips in our mouths to cut that" which is fun movie magic.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

AI really has the creepy “Duggar wife gaze” down, doesn’t it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

PhazonLink posted:

if thats the same couple, shouldnt they be x + 20 years old if thats one xmas per movie?

its like how Conan in Detective Conan should have aged back to normal even with multiple (muders/cases) per day.

That's the thing.

They're not the same couple.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vandar posted:

That's the thing.

They're not the same couple.

Yeah their defining trait is their sameness to the other couples, which is different than being the same as the other couples. It's a nuanced but important distinction.

On the other hand I'm pretty sure you could take most of those movies, divide them up into their 3 act segments, randomly mix them up and air them and a lot of viewers might not notice any difference. :v:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Offler posted:

Oh dear.

Here's a taste of what this link leads to, for those who haven't clicked. This is from a book written by a 52-year old white lady, sold in the comedy section of bookstores.

I guess I should spoiler this for those who want to go in unprepared.

Good lord, every single image on that page is slightly skewed. Also: I don't understand how this book is presented; does the art come as a card you can tear out? Is the picture of the dog on the opposite page and they just cropped it and put it over the other one?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
ER, Season 11: Dr. Barnett hooks up repeatedly with a girl (played by an 18-year-old Kat Dennings) who turns out to be a 14-year-old eighth-grader. He gets beaten up by her abusive father but ultimately saves her from his wrath by giving her money and a ticket to San Francisco to live with her sister. At no point does he reckon with any sort of psychological issue that would presumably come up for most adults if they learned that they had been unknowingly loving a middle schooler. Just singularly focused on the legal ramifications (for some reason the dad never went to the authorities about a chomo doctor). He goes right back to being a lothario soon after.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Henchman of Santa posted:

ER, Season 11: Dr. Barnett hooks up repeatedly with a girl (played by an 18-year-old Kat Dennings) who turns out to be a 14-year-old eighth-grader. He gets beaten up by her abusive father but ultimately saves her from his wrath by giving her money and a ticket to San Francisco to live with her sister. At no point does he reckon with any sort of psychological issue that would presumably come up for most adults if they learned that they had been unknowingly loving a middle schooler. Just singularly focused on the legal ramifications (for some reason the dad never went to the authorities about a chomo doctor). He goes right back to being a lothario soon after.

Dr. Barnett was a serial piece of poo poo whose primary plotlines were sleeping with his buddy's wife while he was deployed to Iraq and getting told to gently caress off from coming to said buddy's funeral after he got IED'ed because he was gonna use it to hit on the widow.

And then, in true ER fashion he got his own legs blown off and yeeted to rural Kentucky or some poo poo, which is the kharmic price for his crimes.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Toshimo posted:

And then, in true ER fashion he got his own legs blown off and yeeted to rural Kentucky or some poo poo, which is the kharmic price for his crimes.

Nobody deserves to live in Kentucky.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Dr. Barnett was a serial piece of poo poo whose primary plotlines were sleeping with his buddy's wife while he was deployed to Iraq and getting told to gently caress off from coming to said buddy's funeral after he got IED'ed because he was gonna use it to hit on the widow.

He actually never slept with Neela while Gallant was deployed. They lived together and had exactly one scene of on screen sexual tension before she pulled the plug on their roommate situation. I only just got to the IED episode so haven’t seen beyond that but most of the time he’s presented as kind of a lovable idiot type until that point. But also the only main cast members that were ever treated by the writers as outright pieces of poo poo at all times were Romano and Morris.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Mar 30, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

AI says "Merry Christmas" exactly like if you ordered the Grinch to do it at gunpoint

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Byzantine posted:

Nobody deserves to live in Kentucky.

I have it good authority that you’ll never leave Harlan alive

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Romano was a jerk but that helicopter poo poo was devilry. Like he pissed on John S. Helicopter's grave or something.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I've seen cars probably a hundred times and I have to say that Pixar was wild for having twins flash Lightning McQueen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I never bothered with ER so I had to look this up this lothario actor and lmfao he looks like a check list for every douchebag marker in the early 00s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I never bothered with ER so I had to look this up this lothario actor and lmfao he looks like a check list for every douchebag marker in the early 00s.

His main character trait in his first couple of seasons is that he also moonlights as a musician and wears Rock Band tees under his labcoat.

The even bigger early 00s douchebag is Malucci and his frosted tips.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is less aging badly than something that was always bad, but I watched the recut version of Godfather 3 last night and I just cannot comprehend why Coppola decided to have first cousins horny for each other as a major plot point. And casting his daughter as one of the cousins. And having the dialog constantly remind you that they're cousins. Its so uncomfortable and gross that it tanks what otherwise could have been a decent if not great conclusion to the trilogy.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Francis "Close personal friend of Victor Salva" Coppola

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not that he couldn't have chosen better, but Sofia Coppolla was a last minute decision. Wynonna Ryder dropped out like a week before filming was scheduled to begin.

The world got the better of the deal though, since Ryder brought the script for Dracula to him since she really wanted to work with him.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Shiroc posted:

This is less aging badly than something that was always bad, but I watched the recut version of Godfather 3 last night and I just cannot comprehend why Coppola decided to have first cousins horny for each other as a major plot point. And casting his daughter as one of the cousins. And having the dialog constantly remind you that they're cousins. Its so uncomfortable and gross that it tanks what otherwise could have been a decent if not great conclusion to the trilogy.

It's just terrible on every level. Most egregiously, there's twenty years of pop-culture Godfather bullshit affecting every single aspect of the production, meaning the cast simultaneously understand they're making THE FINAL PART OF THE LEGENDARY GODFATHER TRILOGY and need to be respectful of the source material, while simultaneously ignoring the cliches that the originals have built up since they were released.

Sofia Coppola is extremely poor, but I'm not convinced that Winona Ryder would have been an improvement, since the part is also poorly conceived. While I have enjoyed Andy Garcia and Joe Mantegna in other things, they're totally unconvincing here. Also, they could've gotten Robert Duvall back by paying him a bit more, but we ended up with George Hamilton instead.

Coppola brought all this upon himself really, after Apocalypse Now and One From The Heart it's a frigging miracle any studio would ever work with him again. As a result, he had about a quarter of the time and a third of the money he really needed to do a third part justice.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tagichatn posted:

I've seen cars probably a hundred times and I have to say that Pixar was wild for having twins flash Lightning McQueen.

I'm not sure if it's accurate to blame John Lasseter for that, but considering it was kind of his pet project, I throw it in the pile.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Torquemada posted:

It's just terrible on every level. Most egregiously, there's twenty years of pop-culture Godfather bullshit affecting every single aspect of the production, meaning the cast simultaneously understand they're making THE FINAL PART OF THE LEGENDARY GODFATHER TRILOGY and need to be respectful of the source material, while simultaneously ignoring the cliches that the originals have built up since they were released.

Sofia Coppola is extremely poor, but I'm not convinced that Winona Ryder would have been an improvement, since the part is also poorly conceived. While I have enjoyed Andy Garcia and Joe Mantegna in other things, they're totally unconvincing here. Also, they could've gotten Robert Duvall back by paying him a bit more, but we ended up with George Hamilton instead.

Coppola brought all this upon himself really, after Apocalypse Now and One From The Heart it's a frigging miracle any studio would ever work with him again. As a result, he had about a quarter of the time and a third of the money he really needed to do a third part justice.

The biggest problem overall is that everything that needed to be said was already said in the first movie. Even the second one is only carried by great performances covering how the past and future parts don't really work together and the story doesn't have a lot more to say. It also suffers badly for not getting Clemenza's actor back.

Still I feel like there has to have been a better way to do a story about Michael making one last desperate attempt to become legitimate but still unable to escape everything he's done than what happened in 3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Here's an idea: Remake godfather part 3. Let it join the pantheon of movies like Terminator and the Halloween movies where the sequels are remade over and over and when it bombs they just make another one trying to get it "right." It doesn't work? Make it again until people agree this is the one we are kind of okay with and then keep going.

What do you mean this idea hasn't aged well?

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Apr 3, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s been decades since it came out so it’s weird to call it this, but Godfather 3 had too much late-stage Pacino.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

marshmallow creep posted:

Here's an idea: Remake godfather part 3. Let it join the pantheon of movies like Terminator and the Halloween movies where the sequels are remade over and over and when it bombs they just make another one trying to get it "right." It doesn't work? Make it again until people agree this is the one we are kind of okay with and then keep going.

What do you mean this idea hasn't aged well?

christmas boots posted:

It’s been decades since it came out so it’s weird to call it this, but Godfather 3 had too much late-stage Pacino.

We need to keep remaking Godfather 3 but always have Al Pacino as Michael so we can see what the current zero fucks given nothing to prove Dunkaccino/Game Awards Pacino would bring to the role.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My understanding is that Godfather III basically exists because the studio wanted it- Coppola and the others had done some work on potential ideas in the 80s, mostly playing on the intensifying drug wars, but it was the failure of Tucker that made him go hat in hand back to the studio and so he had no real control over things like paying Robert Duvall enough money or waiting for an actor to become available after Ryder took ill, etc. It's basically correct that Apocalypse Now and One From The Heart put him in a bind- and killed American Zoetrope- but he did have a comeback with Peggy Sue Got Married before Tucker had him on shaky ground again.

I actually enjoy Godfather III (and honestly most of Coppola's 80s output, little of it was commercially successful but Cotton Club and the two Hinton adaptations are pretty enjoyable), but yeah it was compromised by a number of forces. It works for me as a picture of Michael Corleone's final and complete failure- he sold his soul to "protect his family" but couldn't even do that- but it's not up to the first two.

Of course another thing that doesn't get talked about is the death of Coppola's eldest son sometime during that same decade, which you have to imagine made him rethink his priorities.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Issaries posted:

Naming aside, roleplaying videogames commonly produced in a country called Japan generally have a distinct style, both artistically and mechanically.
Difference that usually is denotated by a separate name, even if they are part of the wider RPG-videogames community.

Same with the comics
I've read French comics. I've read American comics and Japanese comics. They are very different kind of styles to do comics, even if there's wide heterogeneity within each. (and they're all comics, no matter what name you call them).
If you liked One Piece manga or Final Fantasy 7 remake and wanted some good recommendations what to read/play next, the country/style is a very relevant information.

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/culture-schlock

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I notice that while some 90s fashion is coming back, nobody wants to dress like Jerry Seinfeld

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't wanna be a Jerry!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

I notice that while some 90s fashion is coming back, nobody wants to dress like Jerry Seinfeld

A lot of people dress like George though.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

IDK about that. If I go to any dive bar punk show I'll see a lot of zoomers in Seinfeld drip.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

IDK about that. If I go to any dive bar punk show I'll see a lot of zoomers in Seinfeld drip.

what does seinfeld drip even look like. i can just imagine maybe a red shirt, possibly in like satin or velvet, with generic pants and a black tie?

still 90s but i don't think of that as specifically seinfeld

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arivia posted:

what does seinfeld drip even look like. i can just imagine maybe a red shirt, possibly in like satin or velvet, with generic pants and a black tie?

You must wear your hair like a mullet despite being non-committal overall to the concept

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Arivia posted:

The Seinfeld look I think that most people would remember that would stick out is probably the puffy shirt. Though, that's one of those situations where one minor character trait becomes iconic even though it only makes up a very small part of the character (literally just the episode "The Puffy Shirt.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

CJacobs posted:

You must wear your hair like a mullet despite being non-committal overall to the concept

How old is he there?

It's weird seeing these people as a kid, then becoming their age, then growing past it