Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin
Gah gently caress everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If we see this game again it isn’t going to be this year.

gently caress

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:negative: goddammit I just want to do fun dungeon hoodrat poo poo with friends.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
And here come the videos. This is just the first of many, I promise you. Every creator is gonna be on this for the views.

This one comes from Penguinz0, better known as MoistCritikal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3cqMqUV4hg&t=1s

BTW, that video is decent to watch if you want catch up on whats going on, and has been.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress capitalism and gently caress IP laws

ShowTime posted:

Also, did Agartha just make it to mainstream off this poo poo?

no, it was only ever popular off dark and darker addicts which is a fraction of the dark n darker pop, it's otherwise imo fighting for the same players as MO2, chiv2, mordhau, etc except those games have vastly more refined combat systems (tho ExAg's is a lot more consistent than people give it credit for, there's just a lot of stupid poo poo to be aware of)

it did manage to spike to almost 1000 users, but that was on wednesday for whatever reason; I assume it was due to some dark n darker streamers were playing it, maybe some will turn towards it a bit (likely not sobad again lol)

also judging by the times the game pop spikes and the regions that are active, it looks like ExAg is more popular in europe/asia regions, compared to DaD which was popular everywhere but *especially* northam (based on their released player data for past playtests)

jonahveil was the first dark and darker streamer and ironically he was playing ExAg when he heard about DaD, but I think he's just going back to MO2 instead

I'd stream ExAg and narrate the mechanics and how poo poo works to hopefully get more people playing, but deep down I know I should spend my time doing literally anything else than playing this game

...buuuut time to go quest more in agartha

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

ShowTime posted:

And here come the videos. This is just the first of many, I promise you. Every creator is gonna be on this for the views.

This one comes from Penguinz0, better known as MoistCritikal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3cqMqUV4hg&t=1s

BTW, that video is decent to watch if you want catch up on whats going on, and has been.

This whole video seems like he's just guessing what's going on with no real facts. He said he doesn't know what the allegations are on what was stolen, but then focuses half the video talking about how they use unreal marketplace assets so they couldn't have stolen anything, despite there being no mention of stolen models.

Then he said police found nothing in the raid. I'm pretty sure if they're looking for stolen code, analysis of the data would take a lot more then a week, and the results would not be released until the lawyers have closely looked over it.

Don''t get me wrong, I'm sure Nexon is doing lovely things, but I'm not convinced that Iron Mace is completely innocent either. Hopefully they come to some sort of settlement and can move on with development.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

First Gundam Evolution now this...I can't catch a break.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Charlie is definitely missing a lot of facts and Nexon may have a legitimate case due to the nature of their role at Nexon/Project P3 and the scalping of other workers. If this isn't cancelled outright they will owe some serious royalties I think because they worked on basically the exact same game, ripped off the exact same formula/style/all the classes etc, used the same workers that were on P3 they scalped, and the one guy potentially had copied a hard drive of the old code/assets to reference, even if he didn't copy and paste it. They have even more of a case if they can prove the guy sabotaged the project/team just to splinter off and steal the concept with his team, which honestly, it kind of looks like. Not to mention all the vague "trade secret" laws Korea seems to have, leaving P3 to immediately use all of their information to make the same kind of game in itself may be a no-go.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 26, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, something that people keep mentioning is that (most of) the assets came from the UE marketplace, but nothing about what's actually being alleged has to do with those, it has to do with design documents, internal tools to make the game, and the original source code.

To be blunt none of us have any loving clue if they actually illegitimately took those things or not.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://www.eurogamer.net/ncsoft-attempts-to-block-teras-launch

https://www.eurogamer.net/tera-publisher-rejects-ncsoft-lawsuit

This seems much worse and TERA still launched

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Akumos posted:

Charlie is definitely missing a lot of facts and Nexon may have a legitimate case due to the nature of their role at Nexon/Project P3 and the scalping of other workers. If this isn't cancelled outright they will owe some serious royalties I think because they worked on basically the exact same game, ripped off the exact same formula/style/all the classes etc, used the same workers that were on P3 they scalped, and the one guy potentially had copied a hard drive of the old code/assets to reference, even if he didn't copy and paste it. They have even more of a case if they can prove the guy sabotaged the project/team just to splinter off and steal the concept with his team, which honestly, it kind of looks like. Not to mention all the vague "trade secret" laws Korea seems to have, leaving P3 to immediately use all of their information to make the same kind of game in itself may be a no-go.

I don’t give a poo poo bitch. I want to play the freaking wizard war. gently caress you!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nexon is a bitch rear end company, so their claims should be thrown out and everyone allowed to steal from them.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Nexon is a bitch rear end company, so their claims should be thrown out and everyone allowed to steal from them.

That’s right

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Smythe posted:

I don’t give a poo poo bitch. I want to play the freaking wizard war. gently caress you!

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Akumos posted:

It's undeniable that they applied a lot of the game design and know-how from their previous game project in D&D, but really the question is whether they did it illegally or not. I haven't read anything about non-compete clauses in their contracts, so what they did probably isn't illegal? Then again I don't know how Korean courts handle these things. As far as I know, you have to do some REALLY egregious copying in order to get successfully sued in the western world.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Smythe posted:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Smythe posted:

:same:

I said come in! posted:

:hmmyes:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Akumos posted:

That's a shame, the game was good. Thankfully the game itself/formula is incredibly simple to remake, proven by the fact they made it in like a year with market assets. Someone else will just come in(probably many) and make the same or very similar games. There is already a mod on mordhau that is basically Dark & Darker but without the out of game stash/vendor aspect. Hopefully some actual AAA dev comes in and makes it and makes it a polished game that doesn't have such a gimmicky trade and inventory system. I get why people liked it but after one playtest I wanted to shoot myself trying to buy simple items. The fun for me was the PvP, not the market or inventory being super hardcore and limited. I would be totally fine with this game in a more casual format with the same formula.
copycats will suck because theyll completely miss the point and mindlessly copy mordhau/chivalry like that dumb Agartha game

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hope the devs of this game aren't dumb enough to steal code and poo poo that could be easily traced back to them. they have always been pretty adamant that all this is very spurious and there is no basis for concern. they could but full of poo poo so who knows. hopefully we have some answers soon.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

copycats will suck because theyll completely miss the point and mindlessly copy mordhau/chivalry like that dumb Agartha game

lol that people still think chiv/mord combat will have mass appeal

the dark and darker combat system was so good for easily accessible but hard to master melee combat and like 90% of that is due to making everything slower than most melee or shooter games, literally no one except the fighter could even sprint

E: but agartha still gets my time because I like overcomplicated melee systems, I just vastly prefer dark and darker

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 26, 2023

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

well I guess ironmace are true posters cause they just posted a bunch of poo poo publicly about the case in their discord announcements, hopefully that somehow only helps them

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What do they say?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Here's the contents of the handful of posts in their announcements channel today. Lol'd at some of the excellent burns in there. You can tell how annoyed they are at the interruption.

Dark and Darker discord #announcements posted:

Link to the DMCA takedown from Nexon
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y2PJx5am6k3quSuXWe6cw-MuOvAPn4hl/view

Link to our response to Exhibit D of "identical" file names
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hzJwYlZjj8VT39dEErQBX_4DGt-gZ0MnlSI_keyXO4I/edit#gid=0

Coming soon
- Since this issue is newsworthy in Korea we will be preparing the response in Korean.
- Response from our concept artist about the copyrighted character design.
- Source list for the assets purchased from the Unreal Marketplace.
- Videos showing key milestone builds from our first playtest builds until the more recent playtests.
- Git logs and file lists for the first year of development.

We are IRONMACE Co., Ltd. (“Ironmace”), a South Korean independent video game developer known for developing the PC game Dark and Darker. This letter is intended to address the serious allegations of Copyright Infringement and Misappropriation of Trade Secrets that have been levied against us in the recent DMCA “Takedown Notice” from NEXON Korea Corporation (“Nexon”).

Nexon states that according to their investigation, “Dark and Darker appears to have been built and developed using trades secrets and copyrighted information, copied and stolen from Nexon.” We would like to show that these allegations are baseless. No copyrighted materials or misappropriated trade secrets from Nexon were used by IRONMACE.

In the takedown notice, Nexon lists their registered copyrights pertaining to the P3 Project which were registered just last month, more than 6 months after Dark and Darker was revealed to the public, as the subject of the alleged infringement.

The first point of contention appears, where they accuse one of our members of acquiring and transferring key assets to his personal server “without authorization”, resulting in an unlawful transfer. Here is our response to this claim:

Due to a mandatory remote work policy implemented by Nexon in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the accused member received multiple written authorizations from executive members at Nexon from 2020 to 2021, allowing him to utilize an external personal server to improve the performance of his team (e.g., version control, build machine, and dedicated server). After utilizing the personal servers for almost a year, the accused member asked the leadership if it was ok to continue using his personal servers. The leaders told him to refrain from using the personal servers. The accused member agreed to takedown the servers as long as he could maintain the performance of his team by having his programming team come to the office bypassing the companywide remote work policy.

The accused member initiated the takedown of the personal servers but, due to the uncertainty of sporadic Covid waves, taking down the server in a quick and exhaustive manner was not a high priority. As a result, some automated scripts related to the build machine were left running on his personal server at this time. When the buildings next to his office were shut down due to confirmed covid cases he took a risk and fully set up his personal servers to aid in development. Since all company machines were monitored using a companywide endpoint solution, the existence and usage of his personal servers, ones that were subject of approvals and re-approvals, must be reasonably known to Nexon over this multi-month period of development. Not a single warning was received from that security team so it was easy to construe it as acknowledgement that his actions were acceptable, otherwise it would mean that Nexon would be failing at taking reasonable measures to maintain the confidentiality of their assets.

The accused member decided to leave Nexon in June 2021 due to a breakdown of trust with one of his superiors and due to the uncertain atmosphere at the company. His prior project was unceremoniously canceled after a well-received milestone presentation in 2020 and numerous other projects around him were also cancelled during this time.

Having worked closely with his development team, he informed them about his plans to leave Nexon. He made it clear that the reason for leaving was due to the uncertain atmosphere fostered at the company. He also stated that he’d welcome the team’s talents for his next endeavor. He made it clear that he’d likely pursue a project in the same genre as P3 Project, but explicitly clarified that any development would be made completely from scratch. This fact has been noted, in witness testimony collected by the police, investigating a separate personal lawsuit filed against the accused member, by Nexon.

Shortly after Nexon's leadership became aware of the accused member's plans to leave the company, instead of trying to resolve it a professional manner, they abruptly sent the Internal Audit team and accused him of stealing files, despite having observed his personal server being used without notice for several month. Due to harassment and the lack of respect from the company and after consulting with his lawyers, he concluded that his private information on his private servers was not subject to any record so he deleted his information to ensure his privacy.

He was fired based on these unproven claims and subsequently sued by the company a month later, with liens placed on his home and other assets. His personal lawsuit is still ongoing, and the claims of stealing or misappropriating these files have not been substantiated. He has been fully cooperative with the investigation from the police and has been the target of multiple search warrants. Ironmace has also been the subject of multiple search warrants during this investigation and has been as accommodating as possible to speed up this process and prove no wrongdoing. The fact that nine of the twenty-plus P3 Project team members voluntarily left Nexon, out of their own free will to join Ironmace - despite the inherent risks of joining a startup - shows the trust that the accused member instills in his peers.

As a secondary contention, the takedown notice submitted by Nexon then alleges that the founder of Ironmace, Terence Park, knew that the accused member used stolen trade secrets and copyrighted material to develop Dark and Darker to knowingly benefit oneself and Ironmace, basing this claim purely on past association and without offering any proof. Here is our response to this claim:

The founder of the company has no knowledge that any stolen trade secrets or copyrighted material were ever used to develop Dark and Darker. In fact, the founder has on multiple occasions told members of his team that they must be extra diligent in ensuring that everything is done by the books in order to uphold the vision and branding of the company.

The takedown notice then states that Nexon’s P3 Game has never been disclosed to a third party during this period in an attempt to strengthen their claims that the only way to come up with a similar idea was to have stolen it. However, this claim can be clearly proven false. Nexon disclosed P3 in a media showcase in August 2021 to members of the gaming media who then wrote about it in multiple blogs and articles as shown below:
1. https://www.gematsu.com/2021/08/nexon-showcases-12-new-games-project-magnum-project-hp-mabinogi-mobile-more
2. https://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/GbYe/dYzj/ICN2.pdf
3. https://www.donga.com/news/It/article/all/20210805/108384593/1

The takedown notice then states that no other games had the same “concept, genre, and plot” as the P3 Game even though none of the contents of these categories are original and other games like Expedition Agartha have all three that are similar.

The notice then states that within a mere ten months of forming Ironmace, its demo/test version of Dark and Darker became publicly available in August 2022. The notice states that “it is impossible for Ironmace to have developed Dark and Darker in such a short timeframe without using Nexon’s trade secrets and confidential information”, again without offering any proof. Here is our response to this claim:

Just because it may be difficult for a large bureaucratic company such as Nexon, to develop games in such a short time frame does not mean it is impossible for another studio big, small, new or old, to develop games quickly.

Firstly, Ironmace started with a larger team at the beginning of development. Secondly, the starting team composition was better set for quick development with a heavy focus on programming. Thirdly, the P3 Project team did not have a server programmer while Ironmace made sure to have one from the very start due to the importance of building a stable server architecture.

Fortunately, we have evidence we will be releasing soon that shows exactly how we built our game so quickly and efficiently. Firstly, we rely on utilizing as many store-bought assets as possible for use as 3D game objects, as that comprises the bulk of the cost and time in game development. We will soon release a list of the store-bought assets that were used in the development of Dark and Darker to show how almost all 3D assets were purchased from the Unreal Marketplace. We also have numerous videos providing evidence of key milestone builds from our early internal playtests up until our most recent tests showing our progress and how we built the game from the ground up that we will soon start to post online. For the more technically minded, we will also soon share the logs and file lists from our git version control repository from the very first push up until when we added our in-house anti-cheat implementation (about a years’ worth of development logs) so other developers can easily see the progression of our game and how unlikely it is to sneak in stolen code and assets. Since key members of Ironmace were also on the development team of the P3 Project and know how quickly and haphazardly the P3 Project was built, if anything, using assets, design, and code built for that project would have been a hinderance rather than a benefit to the development of Dark and Darker.

The notice then states that Nexon conducted a comparative analysis of Dark and Darker and the P3 Game. They state that they found over 2,338 resources with identical file names between the two games proving that “the number of identical file names is too substantial for mere coincidence.” Here is our response to this claim:

They were kind enough to list all the identical files names after removing the ones that are similar due to the usage of the same engine and appended it to Exhibit D of their takedown claim. Of the remaining 1032 resources listed in Exhibit D with identical names, 950 are due to being identical store-bought assets and plug-ins for the Unreal Engine. The remaining 82 identical resource files (actually 41 resources because the file names are duplicates with variations in the extension names) can be easily explained due to recommended file-naming conventions and general conceptual names that would be similar in a typical First-Person Fantasy game. We would welcome and be happy to do a comparative analysis of the actual content of these identically named files through a 3rd party auditor, if Nexon agrees to provide their files. We have provided a list of sources for all the “identical” resources listed by Nexon.

The notice then states the similarities in the character design and other setting and structural designs of the two games. Our response is that both games rely on very traditional classic fantasy tropes, none of which are original and can be found in numerous other fantasy games, including the listed character classes and the torch mechanics. Both games being in the same genre of a classic fantasy dungeon crawler can explain these similarities.

The notice then states that “Even if, as Ironmace has argued in media statements, the graphic assets (including character designs) were purchased from the “Unreal Marketplace,” it does not explain the numerous specific aspects of the character in Dark and Darker characters that are different from that of the graphic assets available for purchase on Unreal Marketplace, but are identical to the aspects of the character found in the P3 Game.” Here is our response to this claim:

For clarity, much of the 3D graphic assets were purchased from the “Unreal Marketplace,” but many 2D graphic elements including character concept art and UI were created in-house. The character concept artworks are based on very traditional fantasy subject matter and tropes which explains their similarities. Furthermore, the character concept artwork for both games were created by the same individual explaining the similarities in style. We will soon link a separate document from our concept artist explaining the core differences in the artwork and why our artwork is not an infringement of the characters in P3 game. The document will display other concept artwork found through a google image search for the same subject matter showing the similarities due to the common fantasy tropes.

The notice then states that the level and extent of the two games’ key concepts, genre, and storyline “make it clear that Ironmace must have used Nexon’s trade secrets to create Dark and Darker.” Again, both the concepts and storyline are purposely traditional and generic and can be found in many fantasy games including pen and paper RPGs, which was one of the main inspirations for Dark and Darker. The premise of adventurers delving into dungeons full of monsters and treasures in their quest to seek riches, is so generic and common that it can be broadly be applied to numerous other fantasy games. Just for fun we asked ChatGPT to come up with a description for a generic PvP Dungeon Crawling game that created an eerily similar game description below:

----------------------------------Content from ChatGPT-----------------------------------

Certainly! Here's a generic game description for a PvP dungeon crawling game:
In this PvP dungeon crawling game, players compete against each other in a dangerous and mysterious dungeon filled with traps, puzzles, and monsters.

Players choose their characters from a variety of classes, each with unique abilities and playstyles. They must navigate through the dungeon, fight off waves of monsters, and solve puzzles to progress deeper into the dungeon.

However, in addition to battling monsters, players must also face off against each other in intense PvP combat. They can attack other players to steal their loot or gain an advantage, but they must also be careful not to get caught off guard by enemy players.

Along the way, players will collect loot, weapons, and magical items that will help them in their quest. They can also trade items with other players or buy and sell items from NPC shops.

The gameplay involves strategic decision-making, as players must decide when to attack other players and when to focus on advancing through the dungeon. They must also manage their resources carefully, as they have a limited supply of weapons, spells, and health.

The ultimate goal of the game is to reach the deepest level of the dungeon and defeat the final boss, all while outsmarting and defeating other players. This game offers an exciting and competitive experience for players who enjoy both PvE and PvP gameplay.

Finally, the shared characteristics of the two games that the notice points out in exhibit E are again easily explained by conventions found commonly in the shared game genres and are found in many other similar games.

Given the information presented, it is difficult to believe that Nexon, in good faith, could reasonably believe that Ironmace has infringed on the copyrights for their P3 project. They also provide no actual evidence that Ironmace misappropriated Nexon’s trade secret information in the creation of Dark and Darker, but instead base it on circumstantial claims. Finally, they accuse Ironmace of a flagrant breach of Valve’s SSA and SOCR, restricting our ability to provide our game to players on the largest mainstream PC game platform and severely obstructing our ability to do business. Ironmace requests that Nexon renounce their baseless claims. If they would like to compete on merit, we welcome Nexon to promptly accommodate the comparison of source code, custom assets, and design documents with the police to quickly and decisively put an end to this matter.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Dunno about y'all, but them airing out the laundry on discord is not a good look in my opinion. It kinda gives off a guilty "let me get it out before you do so they believe me" kinda vibe.

Not saying they are or aren't, because I have the faintest clue about all of this.

I just want to go back to smashing heads in with axes. :sigh:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's a very good explanation they provided just enough to be satisfied with public information and reasonable on what could be withheld for proprietary reasons.

It does an excellent job in currying public favor in the court of opinion, doesn't go that far in telling your former boss to go gently caress itself, but having tangible evidence in accessible links and providing detailed responses to counter Nexon's claims is way way better.

This is just a very shrewd and decent way to try and keep your player base on your side while also starting a negative pr campaign against your former boss.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

New copium dropped :siren:

E: The ChatGpt part is pretty cringe imo

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 26, 2023

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Game Dev here -

I've been using Unreal 4/5 since before it was launched. Looking over the .CSV that listed the file names it very much looks to me like Nexon filed a DMCA because Ironmace uses the at least some of the same middleware/unreal store content that Nexon does.

Assuming that list is accurate and actually what Nexon was taking action on this strikes me as completely frivolous and frankly pretty reckless or petty on Nexon's part.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Makes sense if the game was just beginning to blow up and a bigger company sees them potentially doing really well while they aren't making that cash on something they canned that was similar.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

swordfish duelist posted:

Dunno about y'all, but them airing out the laundry on discord is not a good look in my opinion. It kinda gives off a guilty "let me get it out before you do so they believe me" kinda vibe.

Not saying they are or aren't, because I have the faintest clue about all of this.

I just want to go back to smashing heads in with axes. :sigh:

Friend, I promise you, even a "medium-small" game studio (ie a multimillion dollar company with dozens of employees at a minimum), who has been raided by police and then had a DMCA claim filed on them, has run their public statement(s) past a lawyer or two first.

IANAL to be clear, but my job involves a ton of legal analysis and working with lawyers in very tense public policy contexts, and IMO that statement is a perfect use of publicly available info and the kind of poo poo you'd put into your PR releases in response to a suit anyways, except theirs also has specific publicly available citations that make the plaintiff look dumb as poo poo in the court of public opinion.

It's just "the plaintiff's claims are false and we look forward to proving so in court" except they also cited evidence of the first part to put the social heat on Nexon. Considering one of their downside scenarios is that they eventually win in court but lose the race to release the game while the sizzle is still hot, putting a little non-court-based pressure on Nexon is probably pretty smart.

So unless Korean courts have really weird muzzle rules or something I'm not aware of, that statement is as close to perfect as I would expect in the circumstances.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Franks Happy Place posted:

Friend, I promise you, even a "medium-small" game studio (ie a multimillion dollar company with dozens of employees at a minimum), who has been raided by police and then had a DMCA claim filed on them, has run their public statement(s) past a lawyer or two first.

IANAL to be clear, but my job involves a ton of legal analysis and working with lawyers in very tense public policy contexts, and IMO that statement is a perfect use of publicly available info and the kind of poo poo you'd put into your PR releases in response to a suit anyways, except theirs also has specific publicly available citations that make the plaintiff look dumb as poo poo in the court of public opinion.

It's just "the plaintiff's claims are false and we look forward to proving so in court" except they also cited evidence of the first part to put the social heat on Nexon. Considering one of their downside scenarios is that they eventually win in court but lose the race to release the game while the sizzle is still hot, putting a little non-court-based pressure on Nexon is probably pretty smart.

So unless Korean courts have really weird muzzle rules or something I'm not aware of, that statement is as close to perfect as I would expect in the circumstances.

That's good to hear. Like I said, I don't know jack or poo poo about court proceedings and poo poo regarding DMCA claims and what have you.

I still think the chatgpt part was absolutely unnecessary lol

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
That ChatGPT response was unsettlingly accurate, though, to the point where I'd think they tailored the prompt. Literally every feature of the game was mentioned, including stuff that wouldn't be the first thing you think of with a PvP dungeon crawling game.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Quite a backlash against Nexon on their social channels, but they don't seem like the kind of company that would care.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
They probably saw it coming- and I'm guessing it's not like Nexon games are gonna lose any meaningful playerbase over this.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-yi57cdyQ&t=326s

There's a shitload of hearty LOL's to be had in this video if you are an Ironmace supporter, but by far and away my favourite is the fact that apparently Nexon's law firm claimed, as one of the allegedly stolen, proprietary assets... WWise engine files. Licensed, third party content they don't own, and that the entire loving game industry uses. A Rudy Guliani tier dick-stepping.

Again IANAL and extra super I am Not Korean, but... Nexon are hosed lol

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They don't have to win to come ahead if they're acting out of spite for a game concept they rejected ending up successful. Atleast as long as they can prove reasonable evidence for believing this but I don't know what anti-slapp laws S. Korea has.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

as they can prove reasonable evidence

I'm curious, how would you rate their evidence? Do you think their claim of owning the proprietary rights to having files called "Torch" and "Lockpick", a class called Barbarian, and using the WWise engine, is good evidence of copyright infringement?

And before you say "South Korean court", remember this is a DMCA request leveled at Steam, and Arnold & Porter are definitely not a South Korean law firm.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not gonna claim law expertise eithee, this looks like bullshit assuming Nexon doesn't have definitive evidence to support their accusations. Just makes me wonder what the gently caress they're doing then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It's almost always impossible for outsiders to make truly meaningful predictions about a case that's being litigated in any way, because both sides are incentivized to stay quiet about key parts.

Also, any one of the following could apply:

-One side is holding a nuclear Uno Reverse card up their sleeve and is hiding it;
-Both sides are actually currently negotiating a deal, and this is just pressure being added to the pile;
-One or both sides have delusional leadership/decision makers who are the ones paying the lawyers to do inadvisably stupid things on their behalf;
-One or both sides have really, really bad lawyers. (These last two happen a lot more than you would think)

When you add all those parts together, you're just trying to get an approximate gauge of who has the stronger case based on their complaint or whatever is actually public. Which, in this case, Nexon's actual filed complaint is at first blush so dumb and niche it seems to suggest Nexon is suffering from some amount of #3 or #4, but who knows, judges are extremely stupid when it comes to anything tech and you never know about Point #1, especially when they are personally suing one of the people involved. I think I'd rather be audited by a tax authority than go through discovery.