Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
On the off chance this'll be useful to someone: if you're looking to introduce a young kid to pokemon, Let's Go Eevee / Pikachu is a wonderful choice. I always knew it was intended for a more casual audience, but I really underestimated how much that'd make a difference. Even small QoL things, like being able to sort box pokemon by level, were enormously beneficial. The one feature it oddly lacked was automatically marking the effectiveness of moves for known pokemon

It also has a smaller roster of largely recognizable pokes to a 4yo who had never played the games or watched the show prior to this

Now we're onto Sword because I promised him he could pick any future game he wanted if he could beat the Elite 4 in Let's Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

galagazombie posted:

If God wanted us to use more than six Pokémon he would have given us more slots. Why would you want to replace your adventuring buddies with some interchangeable ever changing horde? What kind of psycho wants to replace your pal Steve the Arcanine with his grown-in-the-cloning-vat doppelgänger?

That's why God made us able to access our boxes from anywhere! I have so many *more* friends now, all levelled up, all coming along with me. I wish I could get them all Champion ribbons.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wow I didn’t even think how the changes post-E4 would screw up ribbon acquisition. does the Ace Tourney give ribbons?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chinook posted:

I always pretty much level the poo poo out of my starter and it carries me through the whole game. Does anyone ever just like.. “main” a Yungoos or some crappy little spider and use that through the whole game? I’m so tempted

I literally used a Rellor, Meowth and Yungoos as 3 of my 7 from the point I acquired them through to finishing the game. So yes. :v:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Furnaceface posted:

I literally used a Rellor, Meowth and Yungoos as 3 of my 7 from the point I acquired them through to finishing the game. So yes. :v:

Nice :)

So, is there a big disadvantage to not letting something evolve and just leveling them as their initial form or whatever?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

On the off chance this'll be useful to someone: if you're looking to introduce a young kid to pokemon, Let's Go Eevee / Pikachu is a wonderful choice. I always knew it was intended for a more casual audience, but I really underestimated how much that'd make a difference. Even small QoL things, like being able to sort box pokemon by level, were enormously beneficial. The one feature it oddly lacked was automatically marking the effectiveness of moves for known pokemon

It also has a smaller roster of largely recognizable pokes to a 4yo who had never played the games or watched the show prior to this

Now we're onto Sword because I promised him he could pick any future game he wanted if he could beat the Elite 4 in Let's Go.

I showed my 2 year old some of a Let’s Go Pikachu walk through because she’s obsessed with watching “pikachu video” now. She got terribly upset when the pokeball with Pikachu in it rolled off the screen. When she’s older I’ll buy it and play it with her.

She already knows a bunch of Pokémon names. Pikachu, Eevee, Charmander, Meowth, Lapras, Jigglypuff, and Sobble. She’s been enjoying some Pokémon nursery rhyme videos I’ve been showing her too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So I bought Ultra Moon and downloaded the Sun/Moon demo. Haven't played either one yet, but my understanding is even if I start them after the 27th I can get the Greninja from the demo and transfer it to the main game?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chinook posted:

Nice :)

So, is there a big disadvantage to not letting something evolve and just leveling them as their initial form or whatever?

Yes, there is a disadvantage because evolved Pokémon can get significant stat boosts. Some of the gen 5 Pokémon can be hard to use because they take so long to evolve. Something like Larvesta, Rufflet or Deino needs to be largely carried by the rest of the team until they evolve because they can’t keep up with other Pokémon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You can give some unevolved Pokemon an item called an Eviolite to boost their stats and make them more viable. But if you want to use something unevolved you really need to overlevel it to have a decent chance, unless you're one of those crazy Nuzlocke youtube guys who knows the game in and out and can do tricks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Instead of using larvesta for 50+ levels, consider playing black/white 2 and just catching a level 35 volcarona

Braviary is also available in the wild in some gens

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I found a shiny Rufflet in my Scarlet playthrough. Boy that was a long wait.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Nessa posted:

I showed my 2 year old some of a Let’s Go Pikachu walk through because she’s obsessed with watching “pikachu video” now. She got terribly upset when the pokeball with Pikachu in it rolled off the screen. When she’s older I’ll buy it and play it with her.

She already knows a bunch of Pokémon names. Pikachu, Eevee, Charmander, Meowth, Lapras, Jigglypuff, and Sobble. She’s been enjoying some Pokémon nursery rhyme videos I’ve been showing her too.

That's awesome. This is going to sound immensely corny, but I had forgotten how much fun pokemon can be now that I'm seeing it through a child's eyes. Every night before bed I read him like 20 or 30 pokedex entries from his book, and he's utterly enthralled. For pretend games he likes to be Meowth (of Team Rocket fame, ofc) and "steal" pokemon, which in this case are his baby brother's toys.

I got him into games and books early on as those are my interests. He's played and completed a few Kirby and Mario games, and he enjoys a few specific chapter book series. But I think pokemon is going to be the thing he most remembers fondly from his childhood when he's grown up

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Nice. Maybe I'll keep this Fidough uncooked for 100 levels and main him. We shall see

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
with enough lemonade and x items you can use anything!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, I still hate the forced exp share for one simple reason.

I want to keep my pokemon at the same, or similar level as much as possible. As such, I always arrange my party so the lowest level 'mon is in front, and the highest level in the back. The lowest level does the fighting until he's no longer the lowest level (or is guaranteed to lose the current fight horribly), at which point he switches appropriately.

The problem with this, is that different species level up at different speeds. So with forced EXP share, all my approach accomplishes is the slowest-levelling pokemon do all the fighting while the faster levellers coast by on shared exp and potentially never see combat at all. And don't call that a hypothetical, I have had it happen before.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

WarpDogs posted:

That's awesome. This is going to sound immensely corny, but I had forgotten how much fun pokemon can be now that I'm seeing it through a child's eyes. Every night before bed I read him like 20 or 30 pokedex entries from his book, and he's utterly enthralled. For pretend games he likes to be Meowth (of Team Rocket fame, ofc) and "steal" pokemon, which in this case are his baby brother's toys.

I got him into games and books early on as those are my interests. He's played and completed a few Kirby and Mario games, and he enjoys a few specific chapter book series. But I think pokemon is going to be the thing he most remembers fondly from his childhood when he's grown up

Oh, it’s great! She knows Team Rocket too and she’ll point them out whenever she sees them on screen. I also found out she knows Mr. Mime and pointed him out to me. She likes a little Munna plush I have and calls it “Mouse.”

She absolutely loves Kirby and Mario too and used to love watching me play Animal Crossing and would demand I catch fish and butterflies and pick all the fruit and visit Isabelle and go sit in the cafe with a coffee forever. I can’t wait for her to be able to play games on her own. She also likes making me run around in Kirby and the Forgotten Land.

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the record, I still hate the forced exp share for one simple reason.

I want to keep my pokemon at the same, or similar level as much as possible. As such, I always arrange my party so the lowest level 'mon is in front, and the highest level in the back. The lowest level does the fighting until he's no longer the lowest level (or is guaranteed to lose the current fight horribly), at which point he switches appropriately.

The problem with this, is that different species level up at different speeds. So with forced EXP share, all my approach accomplishes is the slowest-levelling pokemon do all the fighting while the faster levellers coast by on shared exp and potentially never see combat at all. And don't call that a hypothetical, I have had it happen before.

I would do that too! It’s unfortunately not a satisfying strategy anymore, so I’ve had to just swap in guys frequently to even use all of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

indigi posted:

wow I didn’t even think how the changes post-E4 would screw up ribbon acquisition. does the Ace Tourney give ribbons?

Yeah the same ribbon is given out upon beating the tournament, you aren't screwed out of it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
my kid liked Brock :hai:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Araxxor posted:

Yeah the same ribbon is given out upon beating the tournament, you aren't screwed out of it.

that's good news

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

In regards to the anime, Ash’s final sendoff was a bit underwhelming but my guess is they want to keep something in the chamber as a backup in the off chance that Horizons tanks (it was nice that he finally made good on his promise to Pidgeot though)

The showrunners just left Ash and Team Rocket doing their usual status quo, since that's how most people remember them: Ash and Pikachu traveling the world with the Team Rocket trio following behind them, always failing to nab Pikachu. It leaves them open for future appearances, but I don't think they'll be brought back in a permanent fashion even if the new format tanks, since its uninteresting to follow along characters that are fully developed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Justice for Ash's Primeape.

Also they never brought back May (because of VA issues, which is understandable but a pity).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Justice for Ash's Primeape.

Also they never brought back May (because of VA issues, which is understandable but a pity).

I believe she made a brief unvoiced cameo near the end of Journeys but yeah, her Japanese VA retired from acting a while back due to serious health issues

Meanwhile Dawn was practically a supporting cast member in that series with how much she popped up (which makes sense given that Legends and the DP remakes came out around that time)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 26, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Serena only getting 30 seconds to barely talk with Ash at the end of her episode with Koharu (technically this gen's PokeGirl, but Go hits way more of the usual tropes up to and including blushing and stammering when around Ash, while Koharu literally spends most of her time avoiding Ash like the plague) was loving criminal

Koharu's also kinda funny in that in one episode, she got more development than the entire supporting cast of Sun & Moon combined, and spent most of her subsequent screentime exploring other avenues of career in the Pokemon World beyond "Trainer" and "Female Companion", but all anyone remembers her for is lugging around an eevee (who did more than Lana's glorified Substitute Doll)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I too still hold a grudge about childrens anime seasons from years ago.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Ill be honest, I dont know 95% of what you guys are talking about when it comes to the anime.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Oh yeah! I wanted a Shiny Houndoom and it turns out theres a super easy spawn point. Go to Inlet Grotto from the start of the game, pop a Fire Type sandwhich, and have at it in there. Took me 12 minutes to find my Shiny Houndour, which I will never get over being a thing this Gen.

Also, I did what I said, and I have the weekend to myself and Ive been farming Blissey. Right now, I have 349x Exp. Candy XL's. This rules.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

This raid was the motivation I needed to raise a Seviper at long last since that thing is one of the few Pokemon that requires the most EXP to level to level 100 in the game.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/JamesTurner_42/status/1639923490957545472

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 26, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
lmao i'm nearly at the end of the campaign and i only just now found out about the rewards button in the pokedex

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Zuzie posted:

This raid was the motivation I needed to raise a Seviper at long last since that thing is one of the few Pokemon that requires the most EXP to level to level 100 in the game.

thats sick,happy for you and your new snake bro

Feels Villeneuve posted:

lmao i'm nearly at the end of the campaign and i only just now found out about the rewards button in the pokedex

yup! afaik it isnt explained anywhere that theres rewards and under a dedicated submenu and the load times of the menus overall suck juuust enough

in years previous my Rotom buddy would prob go "hey youre doing great on your Pokedex! have a Dream Ball brrrzzzt" miss that guy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's sick it gave me a shitload of exp candy Ms so i can go back and feed a bunch of it to Dreepy when I want to raise a Dragapult

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Paldean Tauros is very good.

It's a bit of a shame there's not much of a reason to use the pure Fighting version over the other two, other than having 1-2 less weaknesses, but the extra moves gives you more options and Terastilizing is a thing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure paldaean tauros are mechanically good but man do they look boring

Why does the pure fighting one even exist

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Serena only getting 30 seconds to barely talk with Ash at the end of her episode with Koharu (technically this gen's PokeGirl, but Go hits way more of the usual tropes up to and including blushing and stammering when around Ash, while Koharu literally spends most of her time avoiding Ash like the plague) was loving criminal

Koharu's also kinda funny in that in one episode, she got more development than the entire supporting cast of Sun & Moon combined, and spent most of her subsequent screentime exploring other avenues of career in the Pokemon World beyond "Trainer" and "Female Companion", but all anyone remembers her for is lugging around an eevee (who did more than Lana's glorified Substitute Doll)

I was watching Journeys with my kid the other day and there was an episode where the girl had a sleepover at the scientist lady's house and discovered her obsession with Psyduck. She thought scientist lady must be in love with this guy in a photo with a Psyduck and manages to track him down. She's then shocked and disappointed to learn that she wasn't interested in the cute guy at all... just the Psyduck. Ash and Go are side characters in an episode that really feels like a completely different anime. Like, it just focused on how this young girl looked up to the smart scientist lady and wanted her to be happy.

I liked it. I like the slice of life style stuff. I hope the new series is more along these lines as well. You can just have interesting stories about people that live in the Pokemon world. It doesn't necessarily have to have bad guys and battles and follow a certain structure. That stuff is fine too, but it's nice to mix things up a bit.

I also like that there is a Magnetite named Francois. There aren't enough nicknamed Pokemon in the anime.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

WarpDogs posted:

Still holding out for Pokemon Let's Go Togepi and Marill. Maybe on the Switch Pro :sigh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I'm sure paldaean tauros are mechanically good but man do they look boring

Why does the pure fighting one even exist

The pure fighting one exists in order to make the water and fire ones more special.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

These Blissey raids are so much fun. I just one shot a Blissey with Cacturne's Sucker Punch when my 3 partners all screeched right off the start. Being able to bring my favourites and not worry about holding the group back feels great. If I see a group of Iron Hands join up I bring in Skuntank/Kricketune/Banette with Screech. :black101:

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Furnaceface posted:

These Blissey raids are so much fun. I just one shot a Blissey with Cacturne's Sucker Punch when my 3 partners all screeched right off the start. Being able to bring my favourites and not worry about holding the group back feels great. If I see a group of Iron Hands join up I bring in Skuntank/Kricketune/Banette with Screech. :black101:

I've been bringing my shiny Magikarp (Holy Carp), saying "I've got this!" and splashing for the whole battle and haven't lost one yet. Inspired by someone in this thread, I've now filled a box with one of each Tera type.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

no broccoli please posted:

I've been bringing my shiny Magikarp (Holy Carp), saying "I've got this!" and splashing for the whole battle and haven't lost one yet. Inspired by someone in this thread, I've now filled a box with one of each Tera type.

I am doing very well on my all-Blissey collection!

I would love to land in a raid with a magikarp doing that. Probably even a real raid I'd be too amused to be cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Nessa posted:

I was watching Journeys with my kid the other day and there was an episode where the girl had a sleepover at the scientist lady's house and discovered her obsession with Psyduck. She thought scientist lady must be in love with this guy in a photo with a Psyduck and manages to track him down. She's then shocked and disappointed to learn that she wasn't interested in the cute guy at all... just the Psyduck. Ash and Go are side characters in an episode that really feels like a completely different anime. Like, it just focused on how this young girl looked up to the smart scientist lady and wanted her to be happy.

I liked it. I like the slice of life style stuff. I hope the new series is more along these lines as well. You can just have interesting stories about people that live in the Pokemon world. It doesn't necessarily have to have bad guys and battles and follow a certain structure. That stuff is fine too, but it's nice to mix things up a bit.

I also like that there is a Magnetite named Francois. There aren't enough nicknamed Pokemon in the anime.

Yeah, journeys does an episode like that every 12ish, usually with Chloe, and those are my favorites. Down to earth slice of life but pokemon are there also is my jam. Early on there's an episode where she's upset everyone thinks she has to love pokemon and be a professor like her dad, eventually her mom talks to her about how finding what you like to do is what matters; she had wanted to be a comic artist as a kid, but her passion for art lead her to graphic design.