Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That Works posted:

Goodnight Punpun is excellent but its some bleak poo poo. If you are decently sadbrains be warned.

Agreed. It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Supremezero posted:

Do not read Pluto.

WATCH Pluto.

... once it comes out

?

The manga is excellent and the anime does not exist. I’ve been waiting a decade for the ANNOUNCED anime to appear. Theres nothing at this point that’ll guarantee it’ll be a good adaptation when it does, even though I’m optimistic

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DamnGlitch posted:

?

The manga is excellent and the anime does not exist. I’ve been waiting a decade for the ANNOUNCED anime to appear. Theres nothing at this point that’ll guarantee it’ll be a good adaptation when it does, even though I’m optimistic

Actually it got a trailer last month and is slated for release sometime this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuUhYOyJn78

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s about time. I still wouldn’t recommend it till it’s out and we could say things like “it was good” or “it is complete”

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, what's Pluto about exactly? I've heard it recommended over the years and still not knowing what's special about it.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it's naoki urasawa doing a prestige version of astro boy's "the greatest robot on earth" arc with all the political commentary from around the mid-2000s

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Saoshyant posted:

So, what's Pluto about exactly? I've heard it recommended over the years and still not knowing what's special about it.

Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Billy Bat) decided to adapt an arc of Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy, which reinterprets the story as a suspenseful murder mystery starring Gesicht, a detective trying to solve the case of a string of robot and human deaths.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

The vibe of the trailer got me to finally read Pluto and I'm glad I did.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Read Pluto for the love of god.

Pluto is actually the only Urasawa work I've read other than Monster. I remember being blown away by it but it was similar like Monster in how slow it was paced but I don't believe I finished it. Definitely will give it a reread.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ulio posted:

Pluto is actually the only Urasawa work I've read other than Monster. I remember being blown away by it but it was similar like Monster in how slow it was paced but I don't believe I finished it. Definitely will give it a reread.

It's ten volumes shorter than Monster, for whatever that's worth. Felt like it moved at a reasonable clip when I read it.

I think a couple of characters towards the end were much flatter than the rest of the cast in a way that disappointed me, but overall it was really good.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think I blew through Pluto in two days the first time. I think I've read it through like 3 times (it's been years) I just can't get over how good the scene where he gives the news of the robot murder to the robot wife. it kills me

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thetoughestbean posted:

Blood on the Tracks, or anything else by Shuzo Oshimi

Happiness and Aku No Hana (Flowers of Evil)

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Looking for good sword & sorcery fantasy manga (or anime I guess but preferably manga). I'm reading Berserk currently, have ready Fullmetal Alchemist and I bought the first volume of Seven Deadly Sins. Preferably not adaptations of journey to the west or warring states stuff (nothing wrong with those, just not what I'm looking for). Preferably more serious than comedic; I don't mind some comedy but I'm not looking for full-on parody, for example.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

have you seen coffin princess chaika?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Doctor Teeth posted:

Looking for good sword & sorcery fantasy manga (or anime I guess but preferably manga). I'm reading Berserk currently, have ready Fullmetal Alchemist and I bought the first volume of Seven Deadly Sins. Preferably not adaptations of journey to the west or warring states stuff (nothing wrong with those, just not what I'm looking for). Preferably more serious than comedic; I don't mind some comedy but I'm not looking for full-on parody, for example.

Dungeon Meshi / Delicious in Dungeon. It starts off with a mostly comedic high concept (what if an dungeon-crawling party had to subsist on the monsters they kill? Slime jello! Griffin stew! Dragon BBQ!) but the story quickly evolves into an extremely polished dungeon caper with carefully crafted worldbuilding and an amazing cast (the food still makes you hungry tho). An anime adaptation was recently announced, and the manga is still ongoing but seems to be pretty close to wrapping things up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doctor Teeth posted:

rage of bahamut genesis is a fun little fantasy adventure anime. theres a follow up called virgin soul that isnt nearly as good but genesis wraps up on itso wn fine

fairy tail and black clover are also western fantasy inspired shonen like seven deadly sins if you want more stuff in that mold, though both of them are pretty stock shonen (and fairy tail has an utterly insane amount of characters)

slayers is a joke-y anime but i wouldnt say its a full parody, it has serious arcs and the stakes do matter to the characters even if there's a lot of slapstick, so it might still be in your wheelhouse, even if, especially in the early material, its mostly leaning towards comedy

record of lodoss war is the much drier 90s d&d inspired anime tho so that might be more up your alley

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor Teeth posted:

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End (AKA Frieren at the Funeral) is a good recent one. It's about the elf mage from a standard Dragon Quest style adventuring party long after the adventure is over, so it's got a kind of nostalgic, somber tone. It's also getting an anime soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Doctor Teeth posted:

in addition to the other recommendations, absolutely check out Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen. a legendary knight who has reached his elderly years, sets out on a quest to find his final resting place and enjoy good food on the way. gorgeous art, good action, and some decent comedy when it wants to be silly, but also can get super serious at a moment's notice. one of my favorites alongside dungeon meshi.

edit: another one of my all-time favorite fantasy series is an isekai, but uses the isekai template extremely sparingly and also in very effective ways(not "oh you're a godlike being with impossible skills now", but rather "you had a lovely past life, take strides to live better in your new one"), called The Faraway Paladin. A boy is found and raised by three undead creatures in a ruined city, a ghost, a mummy, and a skeleton knight. has one of the best depictions of religious faith and interactions between gods and mortals in any series I've ever read, just an exceptional series, and I am saddened every time I think of how the anime doesn't do the manga justice.

I have to ask, will you accept isekai in that request, because there's a LOT of fantasy isekai. and while a lot of it is traaaaaaash, there's some great ones like Faraway Paladin.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 26, 2023

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Invictus posted:

in addition to the other recommendations, absolutely check out Knight of the Frontier, Bard Loen. a legendary knight who has reached his elderly years, sets out on a quest to find his final resting place and enjoy good food on the way. gorgeous art, good action, and some decent comedy when it wants to be silly, but also can get super serious at a moment's notice. one of my favorites alongside dungeon meshi.

edit: another one of my all-time favorite fantasy series is an isekai, but uses the isekai template extremely sparingly and also in very effective ways(not "oh you're a godlike being with impossible skills now", but rather "you had a lovely past life, take strides to live better in your new one"), called The Faraway Paladin. A boy is found and raised by three undead creatures in a ruined city, a ghost, a mummy, and a skeleton knight. has one of the best depictions of religious faith and interactions between gods and mortals in any series I've ever read, just an exceptional series, and I am saddened every time I think of how the anime doesn't do the manga justice.

These are both top-tier recommendations, do not miss.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Doctor Teeth posted:

The Heroic Legend of Arslan is a fantasy series that got an manga adaptation by Arakawa Hiromu, the creator of FMA.

There’s also Yona of the Dawn if you want a long-running series (forty volumes and still going!) full of very pretty men

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Doctor Teeth posted:

Undead Adventurer(Very DnD adventure about a bronze tier adventurer getting marked and coming back as undead and working towards his dream of making it to Mithril rank)

Bard Roen, Knight of the Frontier(Retired knight wanders the world in his golden years looking for his final resting place and enjoying good food and getting into some interesting adventures)

Wolf Wont Sleep(Same author as Bard Roen with near Berserk tier art quality. Sadly got axed, but still worth checking out)

Faraway Paladin(Like others said, easily the best story for someone having a second chance at life and some of the best depictions of faith and gods in fiction)

Lodoss War(Vintage classic that pretty much set the standard)

Slayers(Also a vintage standard setter)

Frieren at the Funeral(Long lived elf and former member of the Hero Party that defeated the demon lord travels and experiences the world)

Most of these already got mentioned, but they're all REALLY DnD like. Slayers is a bit more comedic than the others, but the world and characters are incredibly well done. Another good one is Helck, but that too leans more comedy, but can be very serious when it needs to be.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 27, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doctor Teeth posted:

Claymore

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What are some manga series that subvert shonen tropes?

I'm looking for maximum subversion here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thoren posted:

I mean, it depends on what tropes you're thinking of, how you define subversion, and if you care about quality.

For a couple good (and popular) series that arguably fit, there's Attack on Titan and Chainsaw Man. Going into detail would involve spoilers, but they both use conventional shonen setups to lead into different conclusions than you might expect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's anime and not manga but Edgerunners lays a pretty savage beatdown on the typically positive traits of a Shonen protagonist.

"You think you're special because you're scrappy?"

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 27, 2023

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Thoren posted:

Mob Psycho 100, if you don't mind the manga kind of looking like rear end (anime looks beautiful, though).

Half of the Main Character's gimmick is never reading the room and just doing the opposite of what people would expect of him.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Thoren posted:

Domestic Girlfriend

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thoren posted:

Gori sen, it basically takes those tropes by the horns and suplexes them

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Thoren posted:

hunter x hunter

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I've read half of those but I'll check out the other half. Thanks lads.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Needs recs for an adult woman (if relevant). Not necessary josei or love drama. If it mains women, they should drive positive action in the plot. Doesn’t have to be acclaimed, just good enough to the degree of like a western superhero TV show.

Assume all the major popular shows have been addressed (Bebop, AoT, etc).

Good:
Yona of the Dawn
Nana
Parakiss
Bungo Stray Dogs
Akudama Drive
Cyberpunk
Fate UBW
High Card
Lycoris Recoil
Gundam Witch
Nier Automata
Talentless Nana
Summertime Rendering
Tokyo Ghoul
Ya Boi kongming
Tomo Chan is a girl
Spy Fam
Maid Sama
Jojo

Bad:
cute girls doing cute things

Iffy:
Fruits Basket was okay, but the MC did too much whining and being a side character.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

Needs recs for an adult woman (if relevant). Not necessary josei or love drama. If it mains women, they should drive positive action in the plot. Doesn’t have to be acclaimed, just good enough to the degree of like a western superhero TV show.

Check out Seirei no Moribito, it's my gold standard for "woman leads who drive the plot" kind of stuff. She might also enjoy Twelve Kingdoms, which starts out decent and becomes fantastic; my personal recommendation is to stop watching after episode 39, since it has one of the best ending points for an ongoing story I've ever seen and the last six episodes set up a sequel that never came to be. Has she seen the SSSS.Gridman anime? The two female leads carry that show hard, and it was my AOTY for 2018. Going further back, you could check out the silly-named-but-unexpectedly-great Princess Tutu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Bad:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Good:
Tomo Chan is a girl

???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway birdie wing is a golf mafia anime that is deranged in a good way and has a mostly female cast who are all extremely active in the story/push things forward

a place further than the universe is about a bunch of teenage girls trying to find meaning in, going to antarctica. its a neat coming of age story and the cast all have really good banter with each other, and most of the adult cast are women too

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Malsangoroth posted:

Check out Seirei no Moribito, it's my gold standard for "woman leads who drive the plot" kind of stuff. She might also enjoy Twelve Kingdoms, which starts out decent and becomes fantastic; my personal recommendation is to stop watching after episode 39, since it has one of the best ending points for an ongoing story I've ever seen and the last six episodes set up a sequel that never came to be. Has she seen the SSSS.Gridman anime? The two female leads carry that show hard, and it was my AOTY for 2018. Going further back, you could check out the silly-named-but-unexpectedly-great Princess Tutu.

Great picks, but I wouldn't say the last six episodes of Twelve Kingdoms set up a sequel. After all, that mini arc is basically a prequel for two of the supporting characters. It's true that episode 39 is a better ending, because it closes out the main arc of the main character, but I personally can't imagine watching until that point and then not wanting to learn a bit more about the world's history. Of course, I couldn't resist moving on to the novels either, so maybe it's just me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Humanity Has Declined (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita). It's a surreal comedy and a cynical social critique, painted in the most colorful pastels you can imagine. The main character is... refreshing -- a deadbeat doing the work no one else wants in a world where humanity is approaching extinction, and that job being a UN mediator with an entirely new species. Said species are a bunch of weird smiling fairies, easily excited and ready to commit exactly all of humanity's excesses without a care in the world. It's pretty drat unique.

Barakamon. A young narcissist gets stuck in rural Japan on a remote island as a punishment for being a tremendous rear end in a top hat. It turns out to be a wholesome, coming of age work, where the guy interacting with the colorful cast of characters slowly grows and learns to adjust and even improve his calligraphy art. It's not as flashy as the above recommendation (nothing is) but totally worth watching. Low stakes, no complicated plotting, and an interesting setting.

Nozaki-kun. A fun comedy with a small cast of complete, utter idiots. One of them is producing shoujo manga and the others basically act as the assistants. The main point of view character has an extreme crush towards the author, who in turn is pretty oblivious to most things happening around him. That description alone does not make justice to the thing, though. Its the interactions between everyone in the cast and their daily life, plus the absurd premise of everyone trying to help out making a manga story for young girls, that makes this show standout as a really funny one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Good:
Yona of the Dawn
Nana
Parakiss
Bungo Stray Dogs
Akudama Drive
Cyberpunk
Fate UBW
High Card
Lycoris Recoil
Gundam Witch
Nier Automata
Talentless Nana
Summertime Rendering
Tokyo Ghoul
Ya Boi kongming
Tomo Chan is a girl
Spy Fam
Maid Sama
Jojo

Bad:

Iffy:
Fruits Basket was okay, but the MC did too much whining and being a side character.

I am gonna call for a Mari Okada double threat by recommending The Anthem of the Heart and O Maidens in Your Savage Season.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I watched Zankyou no Terror at the advice of this thread and it was excellent! It's a great thriller series. The art and animation is great, has good characters, it keeps you saying holy poo poo i gotta see the next episode. It's also nice that it gets wrapped up in one season.

I have a list of stuff I have yet to watch, which of these would you guys recommend the most: FLCL, Baccano, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kill la Kill.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

baccano is my fav of those and it's nice and short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Good:
Gundam Witch

If they like Witch then maybe they would like more Gundam like IBO.