Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Athanatos posted:

On Desktop Mode, controller emulation (touchpads) are run through the Steam app.

If you don't have the Steam App open while in desktop mode, the touchpads wont do their regular thing.

Oh. Well, I don't expect to spent much, if any, time in desktop mode so hopefully that won't ever come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone got hearthstone working on deck?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Masonity posted:

It actually ran and played like silk once set up... Other than having to leave it on the choose character screen for 2-3 minutes at the start of each session for it to all load properly. Maybe you didn't have the launch option that pointed battlenet to your blizzard folder?

I preferred it on my deck to my desktop.

Edit: also low graphic settings and limiting the FPS and refresh rate with the deck menu. Before that it was a bit crashy)

I did set the launch option (though shouldn't it also be possible to just go into settings and point it to the folder there as well?). When you install games, are you doing so by launching B.net through the "Steam mode" or through Desktop mode? It doesn't seem like the latter carries over the former for some reason, even when you tell it to scan for games where you installed them in Desktop mode.

How do you deal with controls? Do you manually rebind keyboard keys to buttons? Do you use the touch pads to select enemies (etc)? I feel like some classes might be easier than others; Necromancer selecting corpses to explode might be obnoxious without a mouse.

Also, I'm guessing it's being played through the main interface instead of Desktop mode (might be obvious, but if everyone is playing in Desktop Mode that could explain the confusion)?

edit: Basically when I load B.Net in Steam Mode, there's just no option to install games. Setting the launch option didn't seem to change this.

One other question - is Proton GE good for compatibility mode, or should I be using something else?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 27, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

anyone got hearthstone working on deck?

Same as D4 or any other blizzard game, should just be a matter of installing Battle.net and then launching/installing from there.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Mescal posted:

i'd rather not follow the guide if it's not going to work. when i go to netflix in chrome, it says
visit chrome://settings/content/protectedcontent and make sure "sites can play protected content" is selected.
m9902-1003

but ive already seen that message and dug up that setting which is no longer located there, and made sure it was selected

Not sure what to tell you. I followed the guide and it works great for me. All you are doing is manipulating a shortcut link. If you navigate to Netflix through the browser without the link does it work? I got criterion channel, Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon prime all set up and working using that guide.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SavageMessiah posted:

Do you mean doing a factory reset or something else?

This

https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/1B71-EDF2-EB6D-2BB3

Edit: software reset from within the steam gui just wipes your data and nothing else, it doesn't actually reinstall anything.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 27, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought Jedi fallen order on a whim because it was $3. Good on deck?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Well, they didn’t stay successful

Remember hitclips which were cartridge loaded mp3 players that… didn’t play an entire mp3 lol

Hey now Fortnite does it and it’s pretty successful!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I will probably get hate for this opinion but games that require really precise timing kinda suck on anything that can't put out at least a solid 60fps. Obviously ymmv but that is my personal take.

My understanding is that jedi fallen order will not be able to hit 60 on the deck.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You have to turn it way down even with cryotools and honestly it still sorta sucks, particularly when the spectacle is half the point. Your saber looking like a white baseball bat with a missing texture and artifact colored rim light is no way to play that game.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
There’s two features I’d really love and would be the kind of thing that would finally push me to install Decky if they existed. Can you do anything like the following?:

1. Setting a per-app volume in gaming mode for when I have multiple apps open so that I can make a game quiet while I have voice chat on Mumble going. This works in desktop mode but that’s just kind of a hassle if I want to do it on the fly.

2. Forcing a specific button’s binding regardless of what game is currently active, so that I could toggle on/off a setting to always make R4 into whatever I have my push-to-talk key as (mouse4 for me since that won’t clash with any default key binds in games). I can manually set it in every game I play but it’s a bit of a hassle doing that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buddy, it's not good on anything.

Question Mark Mound posted:

There’s two features I’d really love and would be the kind of thing that would finally push me to install Decky if they existed. Can you do anything like the following?:

1. Setting a per-app volume in gaming mode for when I have multiple apps open so that I can make a game quiet while I have voice chat on Mumble going. This works in desktop mode but that’s just kind of a hassle if I want to do it on the fly.

I think there WAS a Decky plugin for this but it got removed :/

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same as D4 or any other blizzard game, should just be a matter of installing Battle.net and then launching/installing from there.

Sweet!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It ran pretty well when I tried it? I got around 50-60FPS and the graphics looked fine.

It's possible other areas run worse though; I was somewhere in Zeffo.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Last of Us Part 1 is launching Deck Verified out of the gate, right?

Very curious how that one runs. Anyone here getting it straight away?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think there WAS a Decky plugin for this but it got removed :/
Ah that's a shame. :( I'll have to keep an eye out for that and the other feature getting added at some point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah that's a shame. :( I'll have to keep an eye out for that and the other feature getting added at some point.

It was my most used plugin, that I actively used, other than Vibrantdeck, which is on all the time.

It wasn't even that the author just stopped working on it, but they also pulled it from the online 'store', and if you had it installed from before, it would stop working. That's likely from an update I installed that specifically killed its functionality, but how was I supposed to know?

I miss you, volume mixer :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who copied the repo. cmon deck community!!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anyone know why the guy decided to take his toys and go home? Generally those kinds of "scorched earth" policies on your work tend to come with some kind of meltdown or justification IME.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

IIRC it broke with every OS update and they just couldn’t be bothered to keep fixing it, so the decky devs delisted it voluntarily from the little storefront since what use is a broken plugin

They said they’d be happy for the community to fork and maintain it but I guess nobody took them up on that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: ^^^ oh, so it DID break. Ah.

Commander Keene posted:

Anyone know why the guy decided to take his toys and go home? Generally those kinds of "scorched earth" policies on your work tend to come with some kind of meltdown or justification IME.

I think I saw on Reddit that they just didn't want to invest the time and effort in the upkeep. I guess I sort of get removing it; otherwise it might break in a future update, and no amount of "I am no longer maintaining this plugin, please do not message me!" will actually stop messages from coming in.

It just sucks because it was such a great plugin. Here's hoping someone else makes a new one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

IIRC it broke with every OS update and they just couldn’t be bothered to keep fixing it, so the decky devs delisted it voluntarily from the little storefront since what use is a broken plugin

They said they’d be happy for the community to fork and maintain it but I guess nobody took them up on that

Just like how decky itself breaks with every OS update? :hmmyes:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

You do realise the plug-in developers and the decky developers are different people, right?

Just because one group of people are happy to keep spending their free time on a hobby project doesn’t mean everyone working on things adjacent to it has to be too.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

I see this mentioned a lot, but it has never broken with any update on mine.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

newbie question, but is there a child-friendly mode that locks the store and installs have to be approved with a pin or sth?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My deck arrives tomorrow,and I am eager to try it. Stupid question: For emulation purposes, how do I get the game roms onto the microsd?

As far as I understand, the format the deck uses is not compatible with windows.
What is everybody's preferred workaround/software for this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hopper posted:

My deck arrives tomorrow,and I am eager to try it. Stupid question: For emulation purposes, how do I get the game roms onto the microsd?

Just download them in Desktop mode, it's so much easier than loving around moving SD cards from machine to machine

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anydesk so you can remote desktop and do all the fiddly bits with a real keyboard and mouse without having to buy something especially for the deck or dock it or gently caress around with Bluetooth.

That has a built in thing to send files with that works fine for small stuff but kind of sucks if you want to move 100gb of ISOs or whatever because of the session time limit on the free version.

If I’m moving 100gb of ISOs I just use warpinator (winpinator is the client for the windows side) because that has no session limit.

You might have to gently caress around with a thing called flatseal from the discovery store to get warpinator to see your sd card as a valid place to receive files, YMMV but it’s not difficult if you do and there’s plenty of guides online.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Hopper posted:

As far as I understand, the format the deck uses is not compatible with windows.

If you are ok with command lines, I’d use FTP

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/09/transferring-files-from-pc-to-steam-deck-with-ftp/

I’d disable it when you’re done for security purposes.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

double nine posted:

newbie question, but is there a child-friendly mode that locks the store and installs have to be approved with a pin or sth?

I have not used it, and I don't know if it works on the steam deck, but the Family View settings seem like your best bet

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hopper posted:

I’m working on internal storage only atm but there’s multiple easy ways of making accessible by FTP, i imagine it’s not difficult to do the same for the SD card

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Alright thanks. Not a stranger to FTP and command lines, though it has been a while. I just thought there might be an easier option I am overlooking but I'll work it out.

I also think I installed anydesk for my raspberry ages ago... I'll check if that still runs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Anydesk so you can remote desktop and do all the fiddly bits with a real keyboard and mouse without having to buy something especially for the deck or dock it or gently caress around with Bluetooth.

That has a built in thing to send files with that works fine for small stuff but kind of sucks if you want to move 100gb of ISOs or whatever because of the session time limit on the free version.

If I’m moving 100gb of ISOs I just use warpinator (winpinator is the client for the windows side) because that has no session limit.

You might have to gently caress around with a thing called flatseal from the discovery store to get warpinator to see your sd card as a valid place to receive files, YMMV but it’s not difficult if you do and there’s plenty of guides online.
Why not just use VNC at that point and get off that anydesk garbage altogether

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because anydesk and all the other stuff I mentioned is in the discover store so I don’t have to gently caress around forever configuring poo poo just to install a thing because Linux is stupid

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 27, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hopper posted:

Alright thanks. Not a stranger to FTP and command lines, though it has been a while. I just thought there might be an easier option I am overlooking but I'll work it out.
SFTP is the easy option:
  • It's built-in to the OS. No need to install anything and it survives OS updates.
  • No need to mess with Flatseal or other permission issues.
  • It works in game mode--you don't have to switch back and forth to desktop mode to transfer files.
  • Once you turn on sshd you can leave it running indefinitely, or turn it off if you have security concerns.
I get if you're not familiar with Linux (or any modern Unix platform) the idea that the OS always come with a SSH/SFTP daemon is perhaps a bit confusing. I also realize that typing "passwd" and having to enter a non-echoed password is a little disconcerting, but once you get over those two things it's very seamless.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 27, 2023

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I just use a USB drive, minimal hassle.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Caveman poo poo

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Apropos of nothing, what is the USB floppy drive du jour?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I guess you could also install something like Dropbox, or OneDriver, and just sync a folder with the data you need. OneDriver is really nice, if you have OneDrive. Dropbox, historically, was awesome on Linux. I think it's been a dumpster fire lately. Honestly, I haven't used it in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I flip the bits by hand