Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Given that when I see 335s that are trying to look as M as possible, most of them don't do the front bumper switch makes me think that there's likely not a 1:1 matchup for headlights, etc. But faux-M3 replica bumpers might work around that. Additionally I'm about 90% sure that the E9x M3 front fenders will not fit onto non-M cars without some additional modifications.

I don't have PDC in the front but I would assume if your car had it, you'd hear beeping when you were about to crash into things? Not sure how it works for the front, but I do enjoy having it for the rear and don't think the circles make any difference in how it looks really.

It works the same, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Taking the car in next week but it's looking like my catalytic converter is fouled, since the cats are integrated into the stock header section 1 it makes sense to go with an upgrade right? There appears to be a few options for less restrictive headers/cats. Or have a catless section 1 and move the cat to section 2.

Anyone have experience with s54 exhaust options?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't have PDC in the front but I would assume if your car had it, you'd hear beeping when you were about to crash into things? Not sure how it works for the front, but I do enjoy having it for the rear and don't think the circles make any difference in how it looks really.

I’d rather have the clean bumper and a backup camera since I have the double hump already anyway.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm about 90% sure that the E9x M3 front fenders will not fit onto non-M cars without some additional modifications.

I haven't looked into this in a while, but I do remember that the M3 has a different washer reservoir (to give clearance to the fender vents) than regular cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Popete posted:

Taking the car in next week but it's looking like my catalytic converter is fouled, since the cats are integrated into the stock header section 1 it makes sense to go with an upgrade right? There appears to be a few options for less restrictive headers/cats. Or have a catless section 1 and move the cat to section 2.

Anyone have experience with s54 exhaust options?

Beware, there be rasp ahead (if it bothers you)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Beware, there be rasp ahead (if it bothers you)

Rasp doesn't bother me, that's just the natural song of the s54.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Some idiot should buy this, I might be that idiot

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328i-xdrive-sports-wagon-2/

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Re: bumpers - I'm planning to get one of these and DIY paint it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2321728802...epid=4016940035

that's a good link.

I might say screw it on cosmetics for this car and just drive it, though.

Speaking of, the car is currently in the garage and disabled. I took the valve cover off and started a MILVs install, but popped off a valve lifter spring. I bought the tool and extracted the spring, so the car is now merely disassembled instead of broken. I took Friday off to finish the MILVs install, reinstall the spring on piston 1, then just put the top of the motor back together.

Love this for me.

It will be enormously satisfying to hear the engine start again after I'm done. Also, I think I have convinced my wife that this is why I need a 2nd car.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've been watching way too many videos on 80s and 90s BMWs lately. I'm waxing nostalgic for my '95 530i. Autotragic + Nikasil block, but it was nice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Took the M3 into the mechanic cause it's throwing an error about a possible clogged cat. Mechanic said before replacing anything trying clearing it again and see if it comes back, also said to try driving the car really hard and see if that clears it up.

Yes sir!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

rope kid posted:

I've been watching way too many videos on 80s and 90s BMWs lately. I'm waxing nostalgic for my '95 530i. Autotragic + Nikasil block, but it was nice.

makes me miss my '90 535i 5MT from ages ago

it had plenty of old car problems but it was a gem

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Those 535i were so cool. I think if I had bit the bullet and learned to drive stick back then, I would have gotten a 535i (M5s were wayyy out of my price range) and kept the car a lot longer. The handling was fantastic and I still love the looks.

BTW:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-535i-9/

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

Those 535i were so cool. I think if I had bit the bullet and learned to drive stick back then, I would have gotten a 535i (M5s were wayyy out of my price range) and kept the car a lot longer. The handling was fantastic and I still love the looks.

BTW:

That paint colour owns.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Agreed. It's really easy for red to look weird as hell on larger sedans but Calypso Red rides the line.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Took the M3 into the mechanic cause it's throwing an error about a possible clogged cat. Mechanic said before replacing anything trying clearing it again and see if it comes back, also said to try driving the car really hard and see if that clears it up.

Yes sir!

Ah yes the old Italian tune up :hmmyes:

rope kid posted:

Wasn’t what I first drove but as a dumb 16 year old my mom’s car was a black 525 E34 wagon, and that thing was fantastic. Will always have a soft spot for them and the others my family owned at one time or another.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

rope kid posted:

BTW:

I remember you posted a few pictures of an Ultra Violet Individual E34 that was really nice.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

phosdex posted:

Today is 1 year with the halo swords.

Swarovski makes a crystal halo sword if you're looking to accessorize

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is it still the case that heads up displays don't work with polarised sunglasses? I had one on my F31 and I think it didn't, but I really miss it and want my next car to have one. I'm going to buy some prescription sunglasses soon and I won't get polarised ones if they will prevent heads up displays from working.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Generally speaking, yes.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It will depend on the glasses, from what I understand the polarising layer on the lens is directional. If that lines up with the way the hud is refreshed, then you won't see it. But if you tilt your head slightly, then it's visible again. When I had prescription polarised sunglasses, those blocked the hud unless I tilted my head. I have some non prescription polarised that are ok.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thank you, I will stick to those which are not polarised. Which is a shame because they're just not as good.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

phosdex posted:

It will depend on the glasses, from what I understand the polarising layer on the lens is directional. If that lines up with the way the hud is refreshed, then you won't see it. But if you tilt your head slightly, then it's visible again. When I had prescription polarised sunglasses, those blocked the hud unless I tilted my head. I have some non prescription polarised that are ok.

All of mine have always been horizontal polarization. Which works on car displays; but not on credit card terminals.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I have some Maui Jim polarized prescription glasses that dim, but don't block the HUD. Tilt my head 45° right and it's full bright, 45° left and it's invisible. IMO, it's a great compromise that I lucked into.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Oh you guys like E34s? Someone should take my manual '92 535i just sitting in my driveway because I have no time for it. :(

Anyway got an f82 m4 last weekend

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rap music posted:

Oh you guys like E34s? Someone should take my manual '92 535i just sitting in my driveway because I have no time for it. :(

Anyway got an f82 m4 last weekend

Hell yeah! Welcome to the club. Manual or DCT?

Do a crank bolt capture if you plan on tuning(not a bad idea to do regardless) and check your intercooler coolant level every now and then.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about f82 BMWs but I will give you one piece of advice.

You need to overhaul the cooling system.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

fknlo posted:

Hell yeah! Welcome to the club. Manual or DCT?

Do a crank bolt capture if you plan on tuning(not a bad idea to do regardless) and check your intercooler coolant level every now and then.

manual, probably not gonna tune it and from what i hear the crank hub issue is largely overblown and mostly applies to tuned early dct models

rap music fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 19, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If I'm replacing the pre/post cat o2 sensors for bank 1 on an e46 does it make sense to also do bank 2 at the same time? I have an error for bank 1 specifically but if I'm gonna go through the effort to replace that bank I'm assuming I might as well do bank 2.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Getting yellow trifecta on my E46 - what’s the best way to read snowflake BMW codes? Can I use a BT OBDII device with a special app or do I need a laptop and fancy cable?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
BT OBDII scanner and Torque app has always worked for me.

Edit: oh I see you're asking about special BMW codes, idk if it works with that

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 23, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I have a random BT OBDII that bimmerlink I think said was compatible and then bimmerlink app and bimmercode, the one that costs money is the one that will pull all the special bmw only codes.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I picked up a used Ancel scanner for $30 on fb marketplace which seems to have all the bmw stuff (windscreen fogging sensor anyone?). I keep it in the trunk.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I use the $40 bimmergeeks cable and use protool for everything.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I use a cable from Amazon with INPA and everything works fine, including coding modules.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hello BMW thread. How bad of an idea would it be to buy a 2019 or 2020 M550i? Did they ever fix all the issues with the N63 engine?

I’ve never owned a German car, but I’m casually looking at the lightly used mid/full size fast sedan market and it looks nice on paper, but it’s probably going to be a maintenance nightmare I’m guessing. Pickings are slim for fast sedans, and a M550i can be had for a fair bit less than say a ct6-v or ct5-v.

I’m good with the maintenance costs, but I’m not looking for a project or something that’s going to cost me 1500 bucks or more several times a year in repairs.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Also hello BMW thread. I kind of want to buy this canada import E82

https://www.seattlefinestmotors.com/pre-owned-cars/detail/2008-BMW-1-Series/945836

Went to look at it today and the hood latch was broken lmao. Also the light’s didn’t even seem to full work, the indicator on the dash never came on. Definitely don’t want to deal with electronics, so maybe not, but also just hating my E91 being busted. I will say I was surprised it had comfort access on a non nav unit car

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I got bored of looking for more expensive cars so I just bought an E39 525iA Touring MY2003. It has rust in all the right spots (but the jacking points seemed decent) and has done almost 200k km, but is a 4 owner car where the previous owner before the seller (private dealer) had it since 2005. It has massage seats, so my wife of course instantly loved it. Passed inspection a couple of days ago which means there is nothing catastrophic wrong with it. Of course the check engine light came on while test driving it, but it felt fine and got it a bit cheaper because of it. No idea why it came on as it would never pass inspection with it on. Don't really care as it was a cheap car that I can drive for at least a year if I want.

I find it hilarious that the automatic in this is smoother and better than the one in the 2019 Kia Optima I had was.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Looks great. Congrats.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

gently caress yes. Car. Phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

rope kid posted:

Looks great. Congrats.

From x meters away, yes. But thanks. :)

First fix so far was that the hood wouldn't latch. Some WD-40 equivalent and vigorous screw driver wiggling later and it was sorted.
Oil light came on while just doing a parking relocation. Seems a bit low on the dip stick, but no puddle or sign of a puddle. Gonna do a engine flush and get new oil asap and change all the other fluids as well.
The interior also needs an ozone machine as (as with pretty much every older car I've bought) it smells of perfume and stuff. The interior is in very good shape but needs a clean so it doesn't feel like someone elses car. Haven't seen any tears or damage so far. Will find more when cleaning it I guess.

Russian Bear posted:

gently caress yes. Car. Phone.

The battery has corroded though and left it's bluegreen crap behind. Hopefully I can clean it up and have it there as a cool detail. I got a new (according to the PO) head unit that he bought to replace the current one with dead pixels. I have yet to try it. I'm thinking of getting one of those double din android units that have the old factory navi look. They also come with a reverse cam which my wife would like to have (and me too to be fair).

The "M sport" steering wheel is really nice. Probably the most comfortable steering wheel I've had on a car so far. The seats felt a bit firm and "flat" at first, but with the correct settings they are nice. The massage feature is pretty cool and I can see it being useful on longer trips.

Also, for some reason my wife is actually interested in a car now which is a new development.

Edit: By the way, what kind of code reader / coder is recommended? I've got a normal ELM bluetooth obd donge for use with android or windows.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 27, 2023