Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

nobody wears a loving watch you moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You're literally making poo poo up and getting mad at it

No u

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Hoots I endorsed u for one reason now make good on it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

You absolutely drive a used S class lmao

Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

Hoots I endorsed u for one reason now make good on it

Leon doesn't post here anymore

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

jesus christ will you stop talking about yourself for one day on this forum

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i drive a brand new rav4 im sure this pleases you now please god shut the gently caress up for one day please

Apr 7, 2003

I'm willing to bet the people talking about how tech workers should live in rural areas have never lived in a rural area. they loving suck, they're empty and pointless, and they're full of people with no hope of a better life. Nobody with money wants to live in a place like that.

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

i drive a brand new rav4 im sure this pleases you now please god shut the gently caress up for one day please

You edited a post of mine to pretend I was talking about myself and got mad about it, you big loving baby

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020

Can you guess what I drive?

Apr 7, 2003

A Nissan Altima

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I'm willing to bet the people talking about how tech workers should live in rural areas have never lived in a rural area. they loving suck, they're empty and pointless, and they're full of people with no hope of a better life. Nobody with money wants to live in a place like that.
there's quite a lot of libertarian slashdot nerds in tech who actually do idolize rural area and are dumb + rich enough to do it

also if you're rich you just move to a rich rural area, walden-style

e.g. aspen, boulder, sedona, jacksons rear end in a top hat, etc

i think the mistake you're making is buying into the media narrative that everyone is fleeing to rural appalachia or something. the rich technerds fleeing are moving to rich rural lolbertarian playgrounds.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Mar 27, 2023

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020

Please continue

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I want to have more places to spend my money than Walmart and I don't want to loving die if I get on my bike

rural Ohio/Pennsylvania is not where folks are moving to PFC. you’re surrounded by shitholes though, that’s not everywhere.

plenty of small western towns are quite nice. or plenty of these places are basically just regular city burbs. The big movement in Seattle was from Seattle to the east side burbs. some of which were small rural towns that happened to be within 30-40 miles of Seattle and Bellevue. a lot of the people that were displaced there moved out to burbs further south like maple valley or Bonney lake.

think of it as growth in money’d folk rather than a big population change. the money is moving even if the pop numbers aren’t changing much.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this might be hard to believe since you spend most of your time arguing with the news but you are not the main character of planet earth and all of your opinions are not everyone's opinions just because they make logical sense to you

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
a decent sized city in New Mexico seems like it would be a fun place to live but I'm not sure anyplace besides Albuquerque qualifies, Las Cruces is a college town of sorts

Apr 7, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

this might be hard to believe since you spend most of your time arguing with the news but you are not the main character of planet earth and all of your opinions are not everyone's opinions just because they make logical sense to you

bullshit

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
god please deliver us our monday morning number so morons will stop engaging with pfc

when the gently caress does europe open

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
we’re finally starting to see some of the COVID tech transplants pull up roots here in Vermont after figuring out that nothing stays open past 8pm

Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The big movement in Seattle was from Seattle to the east side burbs.

This is not people moving to rural areas, this is people moving to the suburbs. That's been happening for fifty years now.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

PeakAutism posted:

mod edit: no

Lol is this the multiple permaban guy

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Mar 27, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

skaboomizzy posted:

a decent sized city in New Mexico seems like it would be a fun place to live but I'm not sure anyplace besides Albuquerque qualifies, Las Cruces is a college town of sorts
santa fe genuinely rules. but also ruined by rich ppl the past decade going there as Sedona-lite

alburqueque sucks rear end and is terrible dying Applebees suburban+meth strip mall sprawl

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
One cool thing about rural life is I saw deer, mountain goats, and wild turkeys on the way into town today.

Apr 7, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

One cool thing about rural life is I saw deer, mountain goats, and wild turkeys on the way into town today.

My wife's family lives in a really pretty mountain town, sadly it's entirely economically dead and when her 99 year old grandma kicks the bucket they'll be lucky to get $50K for the house.

We could probably get the house willed to us free and clear but there's no way I'd live there

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Schmeichy posted:

it's less cool when the deer dash in front of your car on a country road and once a turkey decided it wanted to live on our back porch and left actual piles of poo poo every day

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Schmeichy posted:

we have hordes of wild turkeys and deer here in berkeley. no need to move to bumfuck nowhere for deer

also mountain lions

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I saw a dead deer on the side of the road being eaten by turkey vultures :smug:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
a guy nearby was chilling in a hot tub and a mountain lion grabbed his head so your results may vary with regard to nature

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Yeah you gotta be real careful driving on the highways at dusk.

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

we have hordes of wild turkeys and deer here in berkeley.

A recent one I saw from a guy living in the Heroin Capital of Pennsylvania (Westmoreland County) is "At least I don't have neighbors on three sides of my house!"

Okay? You're really reaching there

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020

My wife's family lives in a really pretty mountain town, sadly it's entirely economically dead and when her 99 year old grandma kicks the bucket they'll be lucky to get $50K for the house.

We could probably get the house willed to us free and clear but there's no way I'd live there

You're not done guessing what my car is.

Apr 7, 2003

AzzaccaRye posted:

You're not done guessing what my car is.

I already guessed successfully, you drive a Nissan Altima with truck nuts hanging off the rear view mirror.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Bakers Cousin posted:

a guy nearby was chilling in a hot tub and a mountain lion grabbed his head so your results may vary with regard to nature
cats know how to get ahead in society

cats ftw

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I already guessed successfully, you drive a Nissan Altima with truck nuts hanging off the rear view mirror.

specifically, white

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
those people who live in places where natural gas has seeped into their water supply really seem to be missing the silver lining of having free natural gas piped into their homes

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

*moves to Rural pennsylvania and is surrounded by heroin use and generational despair* "wow, it sure is cheap to live here and I'm so glad I moved"

Without posting my zipcode I can say my city gets a ton of tech transplants from the PNW area for the exact reason of lower CoL WFH lifestyle, it's contributed to skyrocketing housing prices and literally every development is just small neighborhoods of 750k-1.5m to accomodate the transplants but it's no surprise they'd want to live here because it's basically no different from living in a burb in the greater seattle area except the col is a small fraction. You have all the typical dog whistles about safety/schools/etc alongside the average amenities most people would use on a regular basis and If you really want something more cultured we're a roadtrip away from major areas, hell I've been to seattle and back within the same day and it's not unreasonable. There's certainly middlegrounds between meth havens and a full blown metro area and that's where a lot of these people are moving.

"A lot" may vary as a term but 1k transplants to a city like mine is a p notable swing even if 1k people leaving a metro area is a drop in the hat for them.

Apr 7, 2003

The town I grew up in is currently getting murdered on home prices too -it's a three hour drive from Philly. I don't really think it's a lower CoL WFH thing, the town loving blows and nobody in their right mind wants to live there, I just think investors are wealth addicts and won't be happy until every stone has the blood squeezed out of it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i think a lot of the confusion is the media has this weird circle jerk over "rural" and people think like some ol' timey coal mine town or something. when in reality it's just a small rich boutique mountain town that's a suburb more than "1 road coal mine meth-head town".

so yes it's really suburbanization but just a fancier (and expensive) form

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

I still wear a Casio F91W 😅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

*moves to Rural pennsylvania and is surrounded by heroin use and generational despair* "wow, it sure is cheap to live here and I'm so glad I moved"

you’re being a deal dense pos right now. wow some people might have to go to Walmart to stretch their income because of inflation and poo poo. I can’t believe it!