Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

one of my other brothers just paid nearly $300K to buy a house in rural south central PA because they got into a "you don't want to miss out!" bidding war over a house that last sold in 2008 for under $100K. That poo poo just didn't happen there before and honestly shouldn't. The market is artificial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Radirot posted:

you’re being a deal dense pos right now. wow some people might have to go to Walmart to stretch their income because of inflation and poo poo. I can’t believe it!

Walmart doesn't help anyone stretch their income, it's quite literally Vimes Boots, the Store

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The town I grew up in is currently getting murdered on home prices too -it's a three hour drive from Philly. I don't really think it's a lower CoL WFH thing, the town loving blows and nobody in their right mind wants to live there, I just think investors are wealth addicts and won't be happy until every stone has the blood squeezed out of it.

You're getting closer.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

I still wear a Casio F91W 😅

i have two i recently ordered brand new because casio knows a winner and keeps em going

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I would have never been able to afford owning anything in like a 3 hour range around Seattle. I bought 8 acres of forested land and a single wide trailer with fiber internet and a well already on the property, and support my spouse and myself on one wfh salary. Was a no brainier for my situation.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

Lol is this the multiple permaban guy

it was!

Apr 7, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

I would have never been able to afford owning anything in like a 3 hour range around Seattle. I bought 8 acres of forested land and a single wide trailer with fiber internet and a well already on the property, and support my spouse and myself on one wfh salary. Was a no brainier for my situation.

I don't really think you're typical though and I don't think a single wide trailer on eight acres with fiber internet is really a thing in most of America. If I packed my poo poo up and moved out to the woods there would be very little or no internet options in this state. I get gigabit fiber here in my lovely neighborhood for $110 a month.

My brother pays that for 300mbit down / 5 mbit up cable

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Walmart doesn't help anyone stretch their income, it's quite literally Vimes Boots, the Store

what amazing bargains are you getting elsewhere. Target? Costco?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Renting sucks, housing is unaffordable, people are getting real weird with it trying to get by

Apr 7, 2003

Radirot posted:

what amazing bargains are you getting elsewhere. Target? Costco?

It ain't bargains, it's that Walmart sells substandard poo poo that falls apart real fast. Last real big ticket thing I bought at Walmart was a 45" TV in 2012 or so. It broke within two years.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

I don't really think you're typical though and I don't think a single wide trailer on eight acres with fiber internet is really a thing in most of America. If I packed my poo poo up and moved out to the woods there would be very little or no internet options in this state. I get gigabit fiber here in my lovely neighborhood for $110 a month.

My brother pays that for 300mbit down / 5 mbit up cable

I think you're confusion stems from not understanding that these tech moves aren't like going to a town with a pop of a couple hundred or thousand but more to places sized like a college town which are still an order of magnitude smaller than a major metro area but still have access to things like a nice grocery store and fiber internet.

When you're looking at metro areas with close to or over a million and pop there's a lot of wiggle room in finding somewhere that has 25, 50, or even 100k that's still substantially cheaper without being literally the middle of nowhere.

Though to be fair we do get a lot of tumbleweeds here.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Mar 27, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Grimey Drawer

I'm willing to bet the people talking about how tech workers should live in rural areas have never lived in a rural area. they loving suck, they're empty and pointless, and they're full of people with no hope of a better life. Nobody with money wants to live in a place like that.

why do all you dumb uptight tech nerds hate rural areas so much? Always 'there's nothing to do!', motherfuckers you bragged about how awesome it was you never had to leave home during covid. 'Things to do' is going to end up being the amount of food delivery services available, isn't it?

Apr 7, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

why do all you dumb uptight tech nerds hate rural areas so much? Always 'there's nothing to do!', motherfuckers you bragged about how awesome it was you never had to leave home during covid. 'Things to do' is going to end up being the amount of food delivery services available, isn't it?

Because I grew up in one and know how loving dire they are

It's still "during covid" and there's still more poo poo my wife and I can do here safely than in either of the towns we grew up in

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

lol bingo

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.cc.com/video/6deoft/tosh-0-s-thole-of-the-week

I grew up in this town, I'd straight up rather be homeless here than ever live there again

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PoundSand posted:

I think you're confusion stems from not understanding that these tech moves aren't like going to a town with a pop of a couple hundred or thousand but more to places sized like a college town which are still an order of magnitude smaller than a major metro area but still have access to things like a nice grocery store and fiber internet.

It's this. Tiny rural towns get a lot of attention because, as others have mentioned, if 1000 tech workers move from the SF bay area to las vegas nobody really notices, but if 10 of them move to bumfuck nowhere it is noteworthy. There are an abundance of places in the US where you can buy a house outright for the price of a down payment in CA, and still live standard suburban lifestyle.

Morbus has issued a correction as of 06:00 on Mar 27, 2023

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Yeah, local paper just ran a story because some SF tech worker moved to the area. New people is a big deal in towns of like a thousand people or less.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

This is not people moving to rural areas, this is people moving to the suburbs. That's been happening for fifty years now.

some suburbs are rural areas.

Carnation for example, that place on the cans of evaporated milk, baby food. it’s farms, it’s also now a suburb of Bellevue and Redmond. it’s extremely rural.

Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

some suburbs are rural areas.

https://www.census.gov/programs-sur...rban-rural.html

Most suburbs are urban according to the government's defintion. 87% of the US lives in urban areas.

A guy who moved twenty miles out of of the city and has three pine trees on his property isn't in the country no matter what he wants to think.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/loser

Apr 7, 2003

I support you on your journey of self-discovery

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

a guy nearby was chilling in a hot tub and a mountain lion grabbed his head so your results may vary with regard to nature

we had one eat some mountain bikers. about once a quarter the wilderness kills somebody out here.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I like the word exurb for not true suburb but close enough to metro to commute there

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
yeah mountain lions dont seem like the "take them lightly" kind of animal

edit: I think the lion part is a good clue tbh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It is insane how much rent has spiraled with all the loving parasites latching onto it. Rent really shouldn't be more than 1/10 or 1/5 of your income. It's a loving building. People are regularly spending 1/3 to 1/2 of their takehome on rent because of escalating greed cascades.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is insane how much rent has spiraled with all the loving parasites latching onto it. Rent really shouldn't be more than 1/10 or 1/5 of your income. It's a loving building. People are regularly spending 1/3 to 1/2 of their takehome on rent because of escalating greed cascades.

it's because parasites can write-off all the unsold rent and money launder other profits. thats why everything costs like $3k-$20k for a lovely apartment or small commercial space even if it's vacant for 6 years straight

it is literally more profitable to have a vacant high-rent unit than fill it for less rent

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

and some places wont even rent to you if you dont make enough so good luck even finding a place!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

A Bakers Cousin posted:

yeah mountain lions dont seem like the "take them lightly" kind of animal

edit: I think the lion part is a good clue tbh

you won't see a mountain lion unless it wants you to see it, unless it's like lost in suburbia or something

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

i want to wad you up into my life

Xaris posted:

santa fe genuinely rules. but also ruined by rich ppl the past decade going there as Sedona-lite

alburqueque sucks rear end and is terrible dying Applebees suburban+meth strip mall sprawl

If you want to visit Santa Fe I can tell you we secretly have a shitload of local death metal bands. I have lived here for 15 years and it is the same 7 people playing in like 20 bands

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Wanda Wanda posted:

If you want to visit Santa Fe I can tell you we secretly have a shitload of local death metal bands. I have lived here for 15 years and it is the same 7 people playing in like 20 bands
that's cool. wouldn't expect that out of Santa Fe but also somehow.. i'm not surprised?

out of all the southwestern hellstates, santa fe is probably one of the only good ones. and flagstaff aint bad

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Rich people from the coasts have been ruining Santa Fe since the 70s. Also, Albuquerque rules except for the crime.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
the headquarters of places are in large urban cities and to move up the promotion ladder you have to be present and social; I don’t think it’s that much more complicated than that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taco Duck posted:

Also, Albuquerque rules except for the crime.

would you say Breaking Bad... is a documentary??

honestly it's not out of line with any other typical 60s-90s suburban strip-mall sprawl city that's been on the stagnantion for decades. i wouldn't say it has a crime problem any different than say.. kansas city, or sacramento, or fresno, or whatever

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

Taco Duck posted:

Rich people from the coasts have been ruining Santa Fe since the 70s. Also, Albuquerque rules except for the crime.

Truth on both counts. Abq has a yearly Day of the Dead parade in the south valley where they drive their lowriders around piloted by giant lovely puppets

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mustached Demon posted:

you won't see a mountain lion unless it wants you to see it, unless it's like lost in suburbia or something

or because of rabies, in which case, run.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
even before breaking bad I had always heard abq had a bad crime reputation from people Id met from there

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

I love Breaking Bad and here's why: I work a hospitality desk in Santa Fe. Every day, middle aged white lady tourists come up to me and ask if it will be safe for them to go to Albuquerque. They are shaking with fear as they do this. They believe that as soon as they set a dainty foot on the sidewalk down there, they will be %100 murdered instantly. It's hilarious

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

SourKraut posted:

or because of rabies, in which case, run.

some cats hate water while others hate water

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

leave the country (of America) and spend all your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Wanda Wanda posted:

I love Breaking Bad and here's why: I work a hospitality desk in Santa Fe. Every day, middle aged white lady tourists come up to me and ask if it will be safe for them to go to Albuquerque. They are shaking with fear as they do this. They believe that as soon as they set a dainty foot on the sidewalk down there, they will be %100 murdered instantly. It's hilarious

abq has a pretty low murder rate for a city and a really high theft rate which is really funny. its the most "crime ridden city" in the US entirely off addicts just jacking poo poo