Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yeah, the Male MC beach scene is the worst by far.

After the requisite "Look at the girls in their bikinis!!!!" scene which always sucks, Junpei wants to pick up girls on the beach and start "Operation Babe Hunt". Its only saving grace is that the dungeon music starts playing at that point. The first part is relatively harmless actually, Junpei, Akihiko and MC try to pick up girls and get shot down because they're awkward highschoolers. If that was the only thing that happened, the scene would be completely fine. Sadly the guys then hit on an older woman who is receptive and wants to take them back to her hotel room but OMG THERE'S A BEARD HAIR IN HER FACE HAHA DO YOU GET IT SHE HAS A PENIS THIS IS FUNNY!

(It's not.)

The guys then try to hit on Aigis, who is a robot and does not understand it. This part is fine again. Honestly, if it was the guys getting shot down repeatedly and then hitting on Aigis, it would be completely fine, but they just really had to add some random transphobia in there.
Didn't P3P replace the transwoman with a cameo from Kashiwagi? Which is I guess slightly better because the joke then becomes "ew she's old" (still not funny) rather than active transphobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nope! They were both in it (as far as I can remember.)

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

As much as Persona is not great with gender, Lala-chan in Persona 5 kicks rear end

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Commander Keene posted:

Didn't P3P replace the transwoman with a cameo from Kashiwagi? Which is I guess slightly better because the joke then becomes "ew she's old" (still not funny) rather than active transphobia.

Older woman could work if the scene wasn't "ew, she's older than 25, what man would want that?", but the teenage guys realizing that this is way more than they bargained for and they're not ready for that sort of thing. Would make a nice contrast to their previous bravado, and seems pretty realistic. Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see a scene like that in any kind of media.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Older woman could work if the scene wasn't "ew, she's older than 25, what man would want that?", but the teenage guys realizing that this is way more than they bargained for and they're not ready for that sort of thing. Would make a nice contrast to their previous bravado, and seems pretty realistic. Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see a scene like that in any kind of media.

Maybe I read the scene wrong but I checked Kashiwagi’s cameo in P3P and that’s kinda how the scene came off to me? I might be giving it a lot more credit than it deserves though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

goethe.cx posted:

As much as Persona is not great with gender, Lala-chan in Persona 5 kicks rear end

Yeah, it's honestly just a shame she's tied in with what feels like might be the most useless S.Link.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Ohya's saving grace is that she's like the only social you can knock off at night when little else is available to do

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Ohya is a double whammy of being uninteresting and not getting much in terms of gameplay perks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One fun thing about Ohya's confidant is that she namedrops Shido as the head of the conspiracy. I don't think there's any sort of time gate on getting that event, so you could ostensibly learn about him during, like, summer and just not be able to do anything with that information. It's just that no one does, because why would you hang out with Ohya when you still have literally anyone else available?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ edit: I don't get why people dislike Ohya so much. It's not like the other S-links are that interesting either, and I don't see how her situation is less interesting than, say, Takemi's.

Should my character date Ai or Naoto in P4G? I'm guessing there aren't many scenes to see to begin with.

I'm leaning towards Ai. I don't remember Naoto's S-link much, but I remember being kind of disappointed in it given her character otherwise being good/interesting.

Also, Yukiko and Rise both have amusingly identical S-link plots/conclusions. And Chie's doesn't even really have a plot; it's just her being upset at other people treating her badly and then becoming confident at the end. Yosuke's is kind of similar in terms of just repeating what the issue is over and over again (almost every scene is him being sad and ends with him being like "thanks for listening to me"), but it's at least a reasonably compelling situation.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 28, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am not sure if 'amusingly identical' is the term I would use.

Anyway I prefer Ai's romance arc to Naoto's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Naoto's romance is baaaaaaaaad

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Ohya is like Eri in P4 where there's honestly probably nothing wrong with the link, but you don't have much of an incentive to keep doing it unless you have nothing else to do.

I'm also in the situation in P4G where I'm debating between dating Yukiko or Ai this run. Already did Chie before and not much interest in Naoto.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean the wrong thing about Ohya's link is that it includes a fake dating scene between an adult and a teenager where everyone involved is very uncomfortable...and then lets you date said adult anyway.

More attention is drawn to Kawakami being datable for obvious reasons but I still maintain that Ohya being datable is worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ohya's actual plot is fine, and Lala-chan is a welcome presence, but most of her confidant isn't about Kayo, who only comes up like six ranks deep, and the rest of it is about her being drunk, trying to get a teenager drunk, and also hitting on, fake dating, and being open to actually dating, said teenager. A couple other confidants also have that last problem, but at least none of them say Joker is their type unless you initiate the romance.

also that thing where a couple of her early ranks take way too many points to level up and you have to do a bunch of unranked hangs to level her up

Though I think the main thing people have against her is that she doesn't really have any upsides. Like, Takemi is wistfully looking forward to seeing Miwa-chan's smile, and Becky ultimately wants to rediscover her passion for teaching, and those scenes are heck of cathartic. Pretty much every confidant ends on some kind of catharsis directly following from their struggles, and Ohya's is by far the weakest. Like, I don't even think she gets to take down Shido's unnamed crony, just that she'll totally get to do it at some point after the plot is over.

I've only done the Yukiko romance in P4G and I don't really remember any part of it except that she gets a cute line on Valentine's day. It's inoffensive, I guess.

E: Nah dating Kawakami is worse because she is Joker's homeroom teacher, which is a position of trust/authority. Ohya just comes off way worse in the situation where you date neither.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ edit: I don't get why people dislike Ohya so much. It's not like the other S-links are that interesting either, and I don't see how her situation is less interesting than, say, Takemi's.

Should my character date Ai or Naoto in P4G? I'm guessing there aren't many scenes to see to begin with.

I'm leaning towards Ai. I don't remember Naoto's S-link much, but I remember being kind of disappointed in it given her character otherwise being good/interesting.

Also, Yukiko and Rise both have amusingly identical S-link plots/conclusions. And Chie's doesn't even really have a plot; it's just her being upset at other people treating her badly and then becoming confident at the end. Yosuke's is kind of similar in terms of just repeating what the issue is over and over again (almost every scene is him being sad and ends with him being like "thanks for listening to me"), but it's at least a reasonably compelling situation.

Yosuke gets his character development in the main arc, he becomes more mature and reliable near the end.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think the one of the funniest parts of p5 is the lengths they have to have Sae go to to have to justify grilling you about your social links. "Was someone teaching you video games?! Tell me now!"

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think the one of the funniest parts of p5 is the lengths they have to have Sae go to to have to justify grilling you about your social links. "Was someone teaching you video games?! Tell me now!"

"I could tell you that, or you could GET SMOKED :smug:"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

*Temperance Confidant is established*

Sae: slams table "You digust me."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hellioning posted:

I am not sure if 'amusingly identical' is the term I would use.

Anyway I prefer Ai's romance arc to Naoto's.

I'll probably go with Ai then. At the part I'm at, she just mentioned having a crush on Daisuke. I like how in P4 the non-party school friends actually have a non-zero level of interaction. While Joker not having any school friends outside of the Phantom Thieves makes sense due to the premise, it's still a bit of a shame (and probably why he ends up with so many adult love interests - the only other options are party members + Shogi girl IIRC).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Like I said a month or tw agoo, I love Yukiko's S Link. Rise's I remember the vague outline, and I can understand the comparison, but I dunno if I'd say they're identical apart from "Yukiko and Rise want to radically change their lives then don't."

But I also just like Yukiko and don't like Rise so that could be clouding my judgment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ai is the best.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I'll probably go with Ai then. At the part I'm at, she just mentioned having a crush on Daisuke. I like how in P4 the non-party school friends actually have a non-zero level of interaction. While Joker not having any school friends outside of the Phantom Thieves makes sense due to the premise, it's still a bit of a shame (and probably why he ends up with so many adult love interests - the only other options are party members + Shogi girl IIRC).

Yeah the school people are great. The Sun options are pretty self-contained though as far as I remember. Not that I'd date either, Yumi holds zero interest for me and Ayane looks too young even if she's the same grade as Rise.

I wish I didn't keep putting them off in favour of party members, but such is life when you get better benefits from ranking up your Persona wielding buddies.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"I love you. Now I'm just going to turn my back and I really hope you'll still be there when I turn back around"
*silently leaves the room*

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

"I love you. Now I'm just going to turn my back and I really hope you'll still be there when I turn back around"
*silently leaves the room*

I cried laughing when this happened. Just the most ruthless move of all time

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah the school people are great. The Sun options are pretty self-contained though as far as I remember. Not that I'd date either, Yumi holds zero interest for me and Ayane looks too young even if she's the same grade as Rise.

I wish I didn't keep putting them off in favour of party members, but such is life when you get better benefits from ranking up your Persona wielding buddies.

I ended up dating Ayane my first playthrough; it just seemed too cruel to turn her down after her social link.

Also re: main character talk, the best decision the P4 anime made was making Yu a weirdo that was taking option 3 every single time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

the sex ghost posted:

I cried laughing when this happened. Just the most ruthless move of all time

I can't decide if this is better or worse than rejecting Haru. On one hand, Yumi feels brutal... but you can actually care about Haru.

Rise's probably a contender for third place given that the platonic route is to stand awkwardly when she's crying her eyes out. That or rejecting Yoshizawa in Royal.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have played Royal twice, and romanced Yoshizawa both times. Not because I couldn't bear to turn her down, though that is a factor, but because I like her and Joker's dynamic and also because the scene where he reciprocates is my single favorite Joker moment in the game (Royal spoilers):

look at this lady killer, how could anyone not fall for him? :allears:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

That or rejecting Yoshizawa in Royal.

Nah, Sumi actually takes it pretty well all things considering (the prior rank-ups making her come across as very codependent aside).

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 28, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually if I remember right, Yumi's romance option is at rank 10, so even if you decide to date her you then basically do nothing with her until Christmas.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Can you not do the regular pointless stuff like hang out with her for no ranks or take her to the movies? I know that if you turn her down you will literally never see her again, and that rules, but I'd assumed she'd still be available if you romance her, even if there is no longer any mechanical reason to hang.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have played Royal twice, and romanced Yoshizawa both times. Not because I couldn't bear to turn her down, though that is a factor, but because I like her and Joker's dynamic and also because the scene where he reciprocates is my single favorite Joker moment in the game (Royal spoilers):

Just imagine romancing Ann/Makoto/Haru and them having to watch Joker and Violet's showtime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shyrka posted:

Just imagine romancing Ann/Makoto/Haru and them having to watch Joker and Violet's showtime.

I get why not but I do wish Joker had a Showtime with everybody.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I really like that scene, shows Joker's personality in a way that most of his romance scenes don't. :allears:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
My favorite scene of an aspect of Yu's personality we don't get to see that often is him punching Yosuke.

The way it's filmed in the anime made me laugh out loud.

I love that he just decks him mid-sentence. :lol:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The only reason I haven't dug into romancing Yoshizawa (and by extension Haru) is that since there's no take-backsies with the other characters so if I don't have things locked in by Hawaii, I have to suffer through Ryuji and Mishima's cracked plan to pick up chicks instead of hang out and do cool things with people. Though, looking up the requirements, it seems that Makoto and Hifumi are available even if you're not romantically involved yet? Do the one-on-ones with Makoto and Hifumi have romantic overtones in Hawaii if you aren't in a relationship with them yet?

I was real disappointed on my first run because not only was Ryuji and Mishima's plan "cringe" but also they could have rounded up Yusuke and done a reenactment of the Top Gun volleyball scene. Which would have been a way better use of time and also deserving of an animation. I wanna see Joker and Ryuji high-five like Mavrick and Goose.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That reminds me of how at one point in Strikers you can choose "I guess we're dating now" as a jokey dialogue option to Yusuke and he goes "Sure why not"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have no idea what the actual trigger for the Hawaii dates are. First time Makoto invited me, on NG+ I had her at rank 10 (platonic) and she didn't, but Hifumi invited me instead. Thankfully I've never seen the Mishima's babe hunt scene and I don't intend to.

I guess the trigger is having a certain confidant rank, but not having gotten to rank 9 and selected the platonic option. Both scenes are very slightly romantic IIRC, there may or may not be head on shoulder action.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have no idea what the actual trigger for the Hawaii dates are. First time Makoto invited me, on NG+ I had her at rank 10 (platonic) and she didn't, but Hifumi invited me instead. Thankfully I've never seen the Mishima's babe hunt scene and I don't intend to.

I guess the trigger is having a certain confidant rank, but not having gotten to rank 9 and selected the platonic option. Both scenes are very slightly romantic IIRC, there may or may not be head on shoulder action.

I looked it up for my post because I realized I hadn't played enough to confidently speak on the various permutations:

Makoto and Hifumi: Rank 5 minimum. Above the relationship rank, you must be in a relationship--platonic locks you out.
Ann: Rank 9+ and in a relationship.
Kawakami: Rank 10 and in a relationship.

I suppose that's the closest I'm getting to a bailout clause. I suppose it would be worse in the other direction if every month you could date and dump someone--just a consequence of the one year time limit I suppose. Would have been nice to at least have a bailout option for your current relationship after Haru joins, on the condition that you only have one relationship at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
This time recently replaying I had Makoto romanced by the time I got to Hawaii and I had a choice between going with her (which I chose), going with Hifumi or hanging with the boys.