Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bubbacub posted:

The atmosphere in Mechwarrior 2 was greatly assisted by the game not bothering to have voice acting outside of the trainer and computer voice. I can't imagine how cringy the game would get if they tried to incorporate less sterile storytelling.

all stories

nominal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Third World Reagan posted:

To fix a statement

if anyone is a fan of any faction in battle tech, you should side eye them

As far as major factions go, yeah this is pretty spot on. They really only differ in the specific ways that they suck.

Hating a specific faction is totally fine though.
gently caress you Kurita

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

What's the best mod for getting the enemy to behave a little less suicidally in battles? Specifically, the NPCs never seem to eject under any circumstances and even the pirates seem to be willing to DIE FOR THE CAUSE when things turn hopeless. I found one on the Nexus but I dunno if there are better ones- this one seems to add a whole new morale system that I'm not sure if I actually want in the game. https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/137

I've still never beaten the story campaign, so I'm really looking for something minimal. I had a ludicrous situation last night where a pirate in a locust with no weapons left was trying to melee an undamaged centurion a full turn after the rest of his lance got smoked.

EDIT: apologies if there's a modding guide elsewhere in the thread, I didn't see one in the OP.

check this post for some settings I use with Basic Panic System to remove the panic / morale part and reduce it to just ejection. notepad or other plaintext editor to edit the mod.json file in the mod folder.

You still won't see a locust eject very often. The way the mod works, enemies only think (roll dice) about ejecting when they take hits. In a locust you only need 2 hits to be crippled and the third hit is a kill. So they don't get many chances to roll. The general problem is that making enemies "smart" about ejecting can make the game really easy. You kinda want the armless assholes hanging around to make your life difficult.

The OP never got updated for mods, since it took a while between the game coming out and mods appearing. I have a list of faves for vanilla.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

To fix a statement

:yeah: I'm reminded of when lil' me was on the official CGL forums in the mid-oughts and decided to check out the personal blog of an outwardly pleasant FedSuns poster and got an eyeful of horrible takes on the middle east and gay marriage of the Anne Coulter and Orson Scott Card variety. And there were other BT forums where that kind of poo poo was out in the open.
A lot of people these days also flying under the radar saying "haha what if [faction] got genocided that would be cool and good amirite?" and "[obvious villain] did nothing wrong" that deserve a bit more scrutiny.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am a fan of liao because I know no lore but I like badly designed stealth tech mechs

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
gently caress the Inner Sphere where my Periphery State homies at

No I will not learn any relevant lore

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Q_res posted:

As far as major factions go, yeah this is pretty spot on. They really only differ in the specific ways that they suck.

Hating a specific faction is totally fine though.
gently caress you Kurita

There's definitely a sliding scale of "awful". Rasalhague and the St. Ives Compact are a lot less lovely than the Great Houses, for example.

Insert name here posted:

gently caress the Inner Sphere where my Periphery State homies at

No I will not learn any relevant lore

Good news! The Taurians, Canopians, and the Outworlds Alliance are all mostly innocuous and primarily exist in a state of "please gently caress off and leave us alone except maybe to trade with us".

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Started up a BTA 3062 game and had a surprise drop of 2 Cataphracts, a Rifleman and another heavy on my lance of 50t mediums on a lab mission when i got to the first lab, on top of another set of mixed medium/heavies on the second lab stop. Literally first mission I'd run (picked medium mech start to get a jumpstart). Is there some .ini file I can hit to turn down reinforcements or something? I only dropped with 4 and it feels like 2 mechs + vehicles, 4 heavies (dropping in a circle around you, no less) and 4 medium/heavies is maybe a little much for a 2 skull.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Probably. Just remember, you can always just leave a mission. This is acceptable.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

To fix a statement

Hey I just want people to pay their phone bills and Praise Blake keep the legacy of the Star League alive, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. :colbert:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

BattleTech fiction has almost always focused on individuals and their choices as opposed to sociological analysis because ultimately the BattleTech lore is there to serve the purpose of the games, which is; "Make big stompy robots that can fight each other." Writing about characters serves that purpose better than writing endless books about how messed up these societies are.

The Clans get a ton of attention because they make some of the biggest and coolest stompy robots.

Also, since most people consider BT a hobby as opposed to a Master's Coursework in dystopianism they tend to ignore most of the negative aspects of their favorite factions so they can focus on the fun roleplay aspects.

It should be mentioned as well most of the Inner Sphere factions have their own flavor of f-ed up as well. Kurita and the Capellans are pretty dystopian totalitarian states; the Feds Sun is your typical feudal monarchy with lots of poverty. Free Worlds League is constantly fracturing over politics and killing each other (Until recently). House Steiner is... House Steiner.

It should be noted that FASA said the reason the Clans are so different is this was their way to have "aliens without aliens". The Clans are meant to be a completely alien culture very unlike anything seen in humanity before.

I really doubt the vast majority of Clan fans want a Eugenics & Caste Based society with a Communist economy. They just want to paint their mechs with cool Wolf or Falcon decals and say "I AM AN HONORABLE WARRIOR FIGHT ME".

Which is far as hobbies go, eh, who cares. They're having fun.

Pretty much. I don't recall anyone who really took the whole Clan thing to heart. The biggest problem was a the usual set of min-max players who didn't want to attempt any kind of play balance and only followed Zellbrigen when it suited them. Rec.games.mecha had fun with the "NO CONTRACTIONS" thing for a while and calling everything omni-whatever.

I always saw the Great Houses as the cast of Seinfeld - a group of really terrible people that we are supposed to like and root for. I guess that makes the clans... Newman.

And, of course, fugu wasps in gauss rifle ammo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Saman posted:

Started up a BTA 3062 game and had a surprise drop of 2 Cataphracts, a Rifleman and another heavy on my lance of 50t mediums on a lab mission when i got to the first lab, on top of another set of mixed medium/heavies on the second lab stop. Literally first mission I'd run (picked medium mech start to get a jumpstart). Is there some .ini file I can hit to turn down reinforcements or something? I only dropped with 4 and it feels like 2 mechs + vehicles, 4 heavies (dropping in a circle around you, no less) and 4 medium/heavies is maybe a little much for a 2 skull.
[/quote

[quote="Third World Reagan" post="530706886"]
Probably. Just remember, you can always just leave a mission. This is acceptable.

This, but I also like playing through the "you're hosed" drops the game sometimes gives you. You can always just reload to before the mission if you get completely boned. Some of my favorite missions were squeaking out of massive odds.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'm getting my rear end whipped on the campaign mission that starts with loving up an air field because in the second and third phase of the mission no matter how far behind I am my lancemates, every single LRM, LL or PPC shot by every single bad guy on the map hits my center torso.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

BTA especially encourages you to drop everything you have into an Op, since you can drop 6 Mechs/Vehicles with a few BA as extra straight from the start without having to resort to upgrades like in BEX.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

On the other hand, fighting 3 comstar lances plus a garrison…uphill

gently caress OFF darius

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

GD_American posted:

This, but I also like playing through the "you're hosed" drops the game sometimes gives you. You can always just reload to before the mission if you get completely boned. Some of my favorite missions were squeaking out of massive odds.

Yeah, I ended up having 2 mechs cored by the time I hit a good faith withdraw b/c i hadn't expected the airdrop raid on lab 1 which hurt a lot. I'll see about dropping with battle armor next time, i didnt end up with any omnis so i gotta get some BA handholds first. Or pick out a fun vehicle I guess?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wanted to ask how much time I roughly have left in the campaign, because I'm a little burnt out on the gameplay but want to finish this weekend if I'm close, instead of putting the game on hold "for a while" and then never finishing it - which is exactly what I did when it was released.

The most recent story missions I've completed it Extracting the mineral wealth from the enemy planet, where you have to capture three silos. I just had a narrative beat where a nobility hostage held in a castle was destroyed by a bomb. .

Mechanically I feel like I must be in the end game, I have a lance filled with assault mechs, my mechwarriors are nearly skill capped, and the Argo is 80% done, but narratively it feels like I could have a LOT of game left, and I'm already feeling fatigued at the idea of doing many more missions.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You don't have to do ALL the missions. You can just do the story ones and finish up.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right, from what I can tell I basically have to do one random mission per story mission, because it seems like going off and doing some rando merc work is what makes the next "priority" mission availble.

What I was hoping is someone could take a ball park guess at how many priority missions I have left. I'd try to google it myself but I'm sure any list I found would show something like "Mission 14: The One Where Kamea Betrays You and Yang Dies" or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jack B Nimble posted:

Right, from what I can tell I basically have to do one random mission per story mission, because it seems like going off and doing some rando merc work is what makes the next "priority" mission availble.

What I was hoping is someone could take a ball park guess at how many priority missions I have left. I'd try to google it myself but I'm sure any list I found would show something like "Mission 14: The One Where Kamea Betrays You and Yang Dies" or something.

That was mission 15 of 20

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think you just finished story mission 15 and you have 5 more to go.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks all, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm going to take the weekend off and play the d4 beta but I'm going to try very hard not to abandon this play through. Thanks again.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PhotoKirk posted:

Pretty much. I don't recall anyone who really took the whole Clan thing to heart. The biggest problem was a the usual set of min-max players who didn't want to attempt any kind of play balance and only followed Zellbrigen when it suited them. Rec.games.mecha had fun with the "NO CONTRACTIONS" thing for a while and calling everything omni-whatever.

My teenage buddies and I got "in-character" when playing clix and the like, trash-talking each other's factions. It made the games more fun.

quote:

I always saw the Great Houses as the cast of Seinfeld - a group of really terrible people that we are supposed to like and root for. I guess that makes the clans... Newman.

And, of course, fugu wasps in gauss rifle ammo.

Yeah, BattleTech is fairly realistic in that every faction has a ton of skeletons in their closet; every faction has a ton of (legit) grievances against each other, no one's a "white hat good guy" or "dastardly evil". Some are worse than others, and some try harder than others at these "human rights" ideas. It's what makes the universe interesting.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

My first and so far only table flip experience was a dude running clan tech being mad that my breaking Zell didn't immediately award him a win. Not sure how he thought that was supposed to work out, but he dinged up my Awesome real bad.

Amechwarrior posted:

What mission exactly? Any details on what triggers the crash? What mod pack are you playing with?

I tired really hard to make it as reliable as stock FPs but if it's crashing within a mod pack, I can ping the mod makers to take a look at it.

For ref this was almost a year ago, but it mission... five? I think? The one where you go all out on taking care of the pirates. Crash would happen during loading, don't remember what the log said and unfortunately that's long since gone. This was a BEX run.

It worked fine the other route and never crashed anywhere else though. But this was a while back, I'm not gonna be much help troubleshooting.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 25, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

For ref this was almost a year ago, but it mission... five? I think? The one where you go all out on taking care of the pirates. Crash would happen during loading, don't remember what the log said and unfortunately that's long since gone. This was a BEX run.

It worked fine the other route and never crashed anywhere else though. But this was a while back, I'm not gonna be much help troubleshooting.

If anyone has it happen again, let me know. I feel like they should have fixed if it's been a year.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rip to my best scout, got she head jumped on

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So what is the "best" modpack if I'd like to keep scratching my renewed BTech itch, and go back to do a replay of the HBS BTech original campaign + DLCs before going into the deep end of the pool with stuff like Hyades and RogueTech? Expanded Arsenal? BEX?

Do they all incorporate Commander Portrait Loader or is it just RT that does that?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Warad posted:

BEX: Simple but more immersive. Vanilla gameplay but the everything else is more geared to making you "FEEL" like you're a poor Merc trying to make a living during 3025 up to the Clan Invasion. No major overhauls for your Mechs, fancy LosTech and Mechs very few and far between, factions and mercenaries stick to where they actually were in the sourcebooks, and more focus on handling your company in comparison to the other two depending on your difficulty settings. But honestly the most smoothest experience out of all of them overall.

BTA: Not as simple and can get a bit wacky with some of the content that's not even the even wackier optional community content, but even the more outlandish things fits the overall free-for-all madhouse of the Civil War era anyway I think. If you want to worry less about paying the bills and more about literally nuking Clanners with Arrow IVs and turning a Lumberjack IndustrialMech into a murderbot that can chainsaw the heart out of an Atlas, then it might be the most "fun" mod for you

RT: If you want to see the poor unity engine meltdown the moment you turn the game on from the sheer amount of stuff packed into it. The most loyal to the TT experience so if you want the absolute purist way to play with literally anything you can think of to play with there, then RT's your thing.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

To add to that, Expanded Arsenal is even more Vanilla with extra stuff than BEX is, but it gives zero poo poo about lore and just throws everything from clan poo poo to celestials into the ring for everyone to use. So if you care about lore accuracy (it's battletech, like half of us do) then its not the mod for you, but if you just want a bigger playground with no nerfs and barely any mechanical changes, it's solid.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Warad posted:

BEX: Simple but more immersive. Vanilla gameplay but the everything else is more geared to making you "FEEL" like you're a poor Merc trying to make a living during 3025 up to the Clan Invasion. No major overhauls for your Mechs, fancy LosTech and Mechs very few and far between, factions and mercenaries stick to where they actually were in the sourcebooks, and more focus on handling your company in comparison to the other two depending on your difficulty settings. But honestly the most smoothest experience out of all of them overall.

Where do I get this - it sounds true to my merc heart?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://discourse.modsinexile.com/t/battletech-extended-3025-3061-1-9-3-7/426/1

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thanks!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BTA

I'm finding MRMs are extremely good once you get a little bit of gunnery on your pilots, their throw weight is really really high AND they critseek incredibly well. I haven't gotten my hands on any Apollo gear yet but I can hope!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I got to play like 5 games of Alpha Strike over the weekend at Adepticon and it fucks fam. I'm super excited for Catalyst and the resurgence of Battletech minis

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Klyith posted:

check this post for some settings I use with Basic Panic System to remove the panic / morale part and reduce it to just ejection. notepad or other plaintext editor to edit the mod.json file in the mod folder.

You still won't see a locust eject very often. The way the mod works, enemies only think (roll dice) about ejecting when they take hits. In a locust you only need 2 hits to be crippled and the third hit is a kill. So they don't get many chances to roll. The general problem is that making enemies "smart" about ejecting can make the game really easy. You kinda want the armless assholes hanging around to make your life difficult.

The OP never got updated for mods, since it took a while between the game coming out and mods appearing. I have a list of faves for vanilla.

This is great, thanks

As for the favorite faction chat, sorry not sorry but MW2 imprinted on me hard as a kid and I love the clans. My favorite 40k faction is drukhari. In stellaris I always play as authoritarian squid aliens. I like sci-fi villains factions.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I refuse to call them anything other than Deldar, gw's fake elven trademark words can go home

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Isn't it drukhii not drukhari.

I mean yes that just proves the point.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I think drukhii is what they call themselves/the fantasy dark elves call themselves but druhkari or however you spell is GW's dumbass name to skirt copyright laws.

Only acceptable alternative to dark eldar is "absolute bastards" for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

bdsm elves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

As for the favorite faction chat, sorry not sorry but MW2 imprinted on me hard as a kid and I love the clans.

No worries and same. Internet people tend to engage in liturgy to prove they're not weirdos so they don't get run out of the group. You're not a bad person for putting on the Snidely Whiplash hat on game day.