Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

unl33t posted:

Surprisingly little chatter in the thread about such a major organizational shift in Chicago

I didn't read the article, but I don't think it's really news that the Bears, at least in the short term, are gonna live and die on Justin Fields, not their defense. It is a huge shift, but, it's one that's been known for a bit. Their number one priority is to find out if Justin Fields is the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

unl33t posted:

Surprisingly little chatter in the thread about such a major organizational shift in Chicago

tbh I still don't feel like I know enough about how Poles wants to run a football team yet. I THINK I believe him when he says poo poo like he intends to build through the draft, that he's in no hurry to be good now, and that as an organization they seem much more interested in maximizing value and not overspending at all. Most coaches would rather draft and develop "their guys" anyway.

Sounds good to me, I hope it works out and we win a Super Bowl soon, that'd be pretty cool

e - ope

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 26, 2023

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

I was commenting on Coach Poles

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

unl33t posted:

All the offseason talk about how good he's doing has gone to his head

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
I like what Ryan Poles has done so far, but I also liked what Ryan Pace did when he arrived and I liked what Phil Emery did when he started so I'm just a big dumb homer, but I never liked a thing Jerry Angelo ever did

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MJeff posted:

I didn't read the article, but I don't think it's really news that the Bears, at least in the short term, are gonna live and die on Justin Fields, not their defense. It is a huge shift, but, it's one that's been known for a bit. Their number one priority is to find out if Justin Fields is the guy.

The Bears are in year one of what is likely to be a three-year rebuild.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I keep seeing dumb articles about the bears being the right spot for derrik henry. I just wanna strangle some of these clickbait writers.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
i think the bears will be v potent in 2-3 years but there keeps being this idea that they're make or break in 2023 and it's

strange. why are brains so broken

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Bears are in year 2 of a rebuild the year after this one they should be good.

The NFL is not a league where rebuilding takes long
Also if Fields takes a step, they will be good.

So much is just dependent on the QB

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The only thing make or break is determining if Fields is the guy or if he regresses from the progress he made in the second half last year. If he's not the guy by December-January, you'll know and have an offseason to decide what now before the last year on his contract (they still haven't picked up the 5th year option yet) starts

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah they gotta find out NOW because if they're gonna trade up to go get a QB, next year is the year they have A) the ammo and B) A pretty good target.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

I like what Ryan Poles has done so far, but I also liked what Ryan Pace did when he arrived and I liked what Phil Emery did when he started so I'm just a big dumb homer, but I never liked a thing Jerry Angelo ever did

I never liked anything Emery did. I didn't mind Pace at first, but his constant need to trade up for guys infuriated me and was his eventual demise. Poles is the first GM we've ever had where I don't need to rationalize what he's doing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pace getting mack ended up being good but then he hosed it all up going for trubs at 2.
He wanted to win now and almost got away with it but then he doubled down instead of blowing up the team

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

HootTheOwl posted:

Pace getting mack ended up being good but then he hosed it all up going for trubs at 2.
He wanted to win now and almost got away with it but then he doubled down instead of blowing up the team

If he'd gone Mahomes or Watson, we probably would've had a Super Bowl with that defense. Crazy to think about.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sataere posted:

If he'd gone Mahomes or Watson, we probably would've had a Super Bowl with that defense. Crazy to think about.

i don't think pat mahomes playing for john fox would have worked out as well as him with andy reid, just my 2 cents

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

R.D. Mangles posted:

i don't think pat mahomes playing for john fox would have worked out as well as him with andy reid, just my 2 cents

I meant that first year with Nagy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sataere posted:

i was thinking this was an exaggeration, but any qb better than trubs gets you past philly, new orleans, the Rams (who the bears had already destroyed) and then that lovely new england team that beat the rams 13-3

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
poo poo dude, if they just re-sign Gould, that might be enough to get them through those teams anyway.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm very worried that signing Robbie will just have him retire in a few years(because he's 40) and the kicker they bench for him will be so broken that he'll be infested with the spirit of Cody parky

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mastershakeman posted:

i was thinking this was an exaggeration, but any qb better than trubs gets you past philly, new orleans, the Rams (who the bears had already destroyed) and then that lovely new england team that beat the rams 13-3

They wouldn’t have even played Philly. They were lone win in the regular season from getting a bye. They lost to GB by 1, and Miami and the NYG in OT. They would’ve won at least one of those games with Mahomes, possibly all three and gotten the 1 seed. That whole season was a series of just missed wins.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
that mack trade was so much fun because the very first game reminded everyone that defense doesn't win championships and even if your new star player gets a forced fumble, and INT he returns for a td, and knocks the other qb out of the game for a half, that other qb can just come back and beat you when your offense is total dogshit

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm very worried that signing Robbie will just have him retire in a few years(because he's 40) and the kicker they bench for him will be so broken that he'll be infested with the spirit of Cody parky

I just looked it up and Robbie Gould is exactly 2 weeks younger than me :corsair:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TheVikingsWire/status/1640096494656077824?s=20

Impressed they are saying no to buying more years with Kirk.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wow, feels like that's a pretty rare outcome. Either a team is ride-or-die or they just trade/cut their QB, it's got to be really rare for a team to outright go "We're moving on from you in the future, but for now you're our starter."

Even the Packers went with Rodgers right until it was beyond clear they couldn't manage it anymore, and then they immediately moved to trade him instead of leaving him as a lame duck.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wow, feels like that's a pretty rare outcome. Either a team is ride-or-die or they just trade/cut their QB, it's got to be really rare for a team to outright go "We're moving on from you in the future, but for now you're our starter."

Even the Packers went with Rodgers right until it was beyond clear they couldn't manage it anymore, and then they immediately moved to trade him instead of leaving him as a lame duck.

I dont think the way the packers have handled rodgers is the better situation here. Sign a qb to a crippling contract, watch a lovely year unfold, then "trade" him for an unknown compensation. Deal isnt even done yet. Jets can still backout and then the pack are on the hook for 75 mil...40 if they cut post june 1? I might be slightly wrong on the money, but whatever. At least the vikings arent gonna be in cap hell and it gives cousins a chance at one last big contract somwhere.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kirk Cousins is going to be banished to the desert with the Fremen. He will undergo the Spice Agony, his eyes will start glowing blue, and come back with fantastical powers.

He will then throw 3 picks in the final 6 minutes of the NFC Divisional Round.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Kirk is getting older, so I can understand the Vikings not wanting to guarantee his 2025 salary when the dude will be 37. But at the same time, it does seem like a significant gamble for the Vikes to roll into 2023 without their QB for 2024 on the roster, unless they're prepared to pay a king's ransom to get a top draft pick this year.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
They have to make sure they're ready contract wise for Aaron's eventual move from the Jets.

This is the way.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SirPablo posted:

https://twitter.com/TheVikingsWire/status/1640096494656077824?s=20

Impressed they are saying no to buying more years with Kirk.

Lol there are just a few people in the replies saying "this is a bad idea!" and their timelines are full of right wing bullshit. Fundies love Kirk

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
He was unvaxxed right and had to have a screen and seperation?
Unlike Rogers who was unvaxxed but ate the clay.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just looked it up and Robbie Gould is exactly 2 weeks younger than me :corsair:

To be fair, the last time I said this about Robbie, he went to San Francisco and Beat the Packers.
I'm sure your legs are good too.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

More like Robbie Old

gotem

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HootTheOwl posted:

He was unvaxxed right and had to have a screen and seperation?
Unlike Rogers who was unvaxxed but ate the clay.
Yes he was a lot more upfront about his moral repulsiveness than Rodgers. It made chuds love him even more

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yes he was a lot more upfront about his moral repulsiveness than Rodgers. It made chuds love him even more

https://twitter.com/NBCSCommanders/status/875842484735283200?s=20

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I mean they are both idiots, but do you respect Kirk more for being open about it vs shady rear end A-A-Ron?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
two qbs stand in front of your path to the NFC championship. one always tells the truth, the other always tells lies. You are only allowed to ask one question. What do you ask them to ruin their team chemistry?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

two qbs stand in front of your path to the NFC championship. one always tells the truth, the other always tells lies. You are only allowed to ask one question. What do you ask them to ruin their team chemistry?

What's your vaccination status?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Comfortador posted:

I mean they are both idiots, but do you respect Kirk more for being open about it vs shady rear end A-A-Ron?

I generally respect Kirk more, like man, at least be secure enough in your lovely beliefs that you aren't willing to hide them, and as such face the consequences without getting mad.

Rather than Rodgers lying because he doesn't want to be hated.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Comfortador posted:

Yeah. I don’t “respect” Kirk for his reactionary regressive views, but I disrespect Rodgers more for lying about it.

It’s funny, because in Oct/Nov 2021 when Rodgers not being vax’d was news, nobody had given a poo poo about anti-vaxers like Kirk, Dak, and Cole Beasley being unvax’d since the summer. Rodgers simultaneously dragged it out longer and got more poo poo about it by being an evasive little weasel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Overall I assume Kirk's views are far more odious than Rodgers.