Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PoundSand posted:

Without posting my zipcode I can say my city gets a ton of tech transplants from the PNW area for the exact reason of lower CoL WFH lifestyle, it's contributed to skyrocketing housing prices and literally every development is just small neighborhoods of 750k-1.5m to accomodate the transplants but it's no surprise they'd want to live here because it's basically no different from living in a burb in the greater seattle area except the col is a small fraction. You have all the typical dog whistles about safety/schools/etc alongside the average amenities most people would use on a regular basis and If you really want something more cultured we're a roadtrip away from major areas, hell I've been to seattle and back within the same day and it's not unreasonable. There's certainly middlegrounds between meth havens and a full blown metro area and that's where a lot of these people are moving.

"A lot" may vary as a term but 1k transplants to a city like mine is a p notable swing even if 1k people leaving a metro area is a drop in the hat for them.

Ugh, but you have to live in East Wenatchee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think you did the right thing by just walking away, though. $300 for not having to litigate something out with a crazy person is the kind of annoying, but worthwhile expense that our world imposes on adults.

Seriously. Being right v being happy etc.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Lol a real walmartstan. I didn't think they were real among goons.

not really, i mostly think the difference between those giant retailers are negligible.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Mar 27, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Wanda Wanda posted:

Truth on both counts. Abq has a yearly Day of the Dead parade in the south valley where they drive their lowriders around piloted by giant lovely puppets

Also they have a pretty cool zoo. Komodo dragon even.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

galagazombie posted:

Wait so I don’t understand the internet archive case. Wasn’t it already illegal to give out copyrighted material like books online?

They were occupying a weird legal niche where they were keeping a single physical copy of the book and digitizing it for lending the way amazon does with kindle lending library

The legally sticky part was where they were lending unlimited copies of the books simultaneously. It's kinda hard to argue this isn't just piracy tbh.

During covid the internet archive kinda veered towards being an old school warez / :filez: site. It's only defensible if you think copyright laws are bullshit and i don't think our legal system is generally kind to this viewpoint

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

copyright laws are bullshit, though

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

considering how 2008 led to widespread cases of judges kicking people out of houses on behalf of banks so quickly that some people who never missed a payment or didn't even owe a given bank any money got kicked out of their home too, i'm gonna go ahead and guess that as renter scum your odds of finding a judge that won't relish loving you over are pretty slim

counterpoint i stayed in my house for 10 years without ever paying a mortgage because i was late one month, paid up the next and they sent me a check back along with a forclosure notice lmao.

also whoopsie they didn't actually own the note they were forclosing on

i stayed there so long the foreclosure fell of my record and i was able to get a new mortgage on favorable terms, at which point i just handed them the keys to the place that had zero maintenance in a decade and a rotted roof and laughed.

jokes on me though all i was able to buy was a lovely suburbian detached SFH in a car depednant wasteland. you know, america.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I agree with you but i don't think the supreme court is likely to feel the same way as us

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mirthless posted:

They were occupying a weird legal niche where they were keeping a single physical copy of the book and digitizing it for lending the way amazon does with kindle lending library

The legally sticky part was where they were lending unlimited copies of the books simultaneously. It's kinda hard to argue this isn't just piracy tbh.

During covid the internet archive kinda veered towards being an old school warez / :filez: site. It's only defensible if you think copyright laws are bullshit and i don't think our legal system is generally kind to this viewpoint

https://twitter.com/roadtoserfdumb/status/1639464176081854464?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jack Ma appearing in public again is a loving insult, why hasn't he left our world

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Harik posted:

jokes on me though all i was able to buy was a lovely suburbian detached SFH in a car depednant wasteland. you know, america.

Good morning fellow Arizonan!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

webcams for christ posted:

canceling my SF/Seattle/Williamsburg lease and moving into one of these to fully embrace the WFFE lifestyle

i strongly recommend against it, the landlord guild out west got really pissed and started getting counties to come take boats and crush them to force the occupants to pay rent again.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Harik posted:

i strongly recommend against it, the landlord guild out west got really pissed and started getting counties to come take boats and crush them to force the occupants to pay rent again.

who said anything about boats? let them try to crush my floating egg. it's superior architectural design will not buckle!!!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

At this point, I'm an accellerationist. I'm hoping that they'll enact even more strict and broad copyright laws.

Then AI generated contents will be dinged every single time it creates something causing it to be de facto outlawed

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

who said anything about boats? let them try to crush my floating egg. it's superior architectural design will not buckle!!!

sorry, because of a floating chicken illness we’ve had the raise the price of floating eggs to $5 million, we apologize for the inconvenience

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol.

wasn't kidding though, landlord guild are loving brutal

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/oct/31/anchor-outs-sausalito-california-richardson-bay

quote:

The agency that oversees the local waterway known as the Richardson Bay has in recent months begun a fervent crackdown on the boat dwellers, who they say are here illegally and pose a threat to safety and the marine environment. Determined to clear the waters, a hardline harbormaster has even begun confiscating and destroying boats that overstay their welcome.

The anchor-outs, meanwhile, are fighting back, staging protests and clashing with authorities who they say are in effect rendering them homeless.

On a recent afternoon, the sounds of a tractor’s hydraulic arm crushing a fiberglass sailboat carried on the wind. The noise lingered over a homeless encampment that has grown near the waterfront. “Camp Cormorant”, as boaters nicknamed it, has become the political base of the anchor-outs’ protest movement.

For the 50 or so people camped in neat rows of tents, the frequent whir, crunch and crack of the crusher represents their way of life being torn to bits. Many say they were forced to decamp here after their vessels were destroyed.

“They want to take our homes and shut the anchorage down,” says Jeff Jacob Chase, a 20-year anchor-out with a trademark pirate swagger, a long, salt-and-pepper beard, spectacles and floppy hat. “They basically want to eradicate a culture.”
why are they getting pushed out? They're not making the landlords enough money

quote:

Despite its beatnik origins, today the Richardson Bay hosts a unique waterfront class system.

At the top are the authorized houseboat marinas where floating, luxury homes with shingle siding, plumbing and electricity can sell for more than $1m. Other boaters, known as live-aboards, can pay a monthly fee to dwell on their sailboats and cabin cruisers in a marina slip, but the number of spots is tightly controlled and authorities say there is a long waiting list. Finally there are the anchor-outs, whom some see as the last of a dying breed of free spirits who eschew the world of rent deposits, credit checks and bills.

Curtis Havel, the harbormaster, would be the first to call himself the villain of this story.

It’s a breezy Wednesday morning and Havel is out patrolling the waters. He stands on the bow of his aluminum patrol boat and gestures at the spectacular scenery around him.

“For a long time, people regarded Richardson’s Bay as this sort of bohemian live-and-let-live situation and the vessel count continued to increase,” he says. “Now it’s time for us to enforce our rules.”

The state agency that oversees the San Francisco Bay had been building pressure on local authorities to act, and Havel says clearing the harbor of illegal anchoring was the primary mission he was given when he was hired two years ago.

Citing a long-unenforced rule that says boats can anchor for no more than 72 hours, Havel has been confiscating boats, dragging them into a shipyard and crushing them into chunks. Of the 190 boats out here when he took over, Havel says he has gotten rid of all but 86 vessels – about 70 of which are now occupied by full-time residents.
Thou Shalt Have No Home That Does Not Honor Number

SourKraut posted:

Good morning fellow Arizonan!

worse. floridian.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I'm amazed they haven't just made libraries themselves illegal. You can just go there and take out a CD and make copies of it!!!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1640374314418487297?s=20

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

that has some real good charts after acknowledging some spending for low income is offset by the govt subisidies (medicaid or whatever)

you basically have to be making over 150k household to not realize how much inflation is hurting. incredible
thankfully those are the people who control our elections so all is well!

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Mar 27, 2023

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol god it's like a 20 tweet thread (which I will not bother to read) which can be summed up with:

https://twitter.com/wilsonphilip/status/1640377092389978115

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

phew! what a relief!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nice article. Proves info we have seen with our own eyes.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i can't get a job, can barely get interviews, and can't drink the tap water here

great country

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm usually pretty jaded about this stuff, but "Why are you all so mad about your finances? Here is why I don't think you should be mad about your finances" is definitely one of the more infuriating takes to start showing up over the last year or two.

edit- to be clear, not referring to this article, but to what the author is responding to

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Delaware River Update: Everything is fine and back to normal until 11:59 pm EST tonight.

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1640378021843460099?t=9uX4ozw3z4aITAwsu3Iu0g&s=19

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
"Could it be that my field of study is built out of untested assumptions that are proving false?"

"No! It's material reality that is wrong!"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1640379170831081473?t=H3PUMYx5DXleB3DPX9ZNFA&s=19
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1640379131484413952?t=zWAJWtzBP6EFZDhZSx1tQA&s=19

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat, lucky bastard gets to sit in the Super Vision Chair

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Father Wendigo posted:

Delaware River Update: Everything is fine and back to normal until 11:59 pm EST tonight.

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1640378021843460099?t=9uX4ozw3z4aITAwsu3Iu0g&s=19

the obvious question is why exactly 11:59 pm other than using days as hard demarcation lines

this is loving stupid and now there's no water to buy anywhere, and north philly is probably turbofucked because of the food deserts

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

triple sulk posted:

the obvious question is why exactly 11:59 pm other than using days as hard demarcation lines

this is loving stupid and now there's no water to buy anywhere, and north philly is probably turbofucked because of the food deserts

Hey, it could be worse!

https://twitter.com/magghart/status/1640337179590242305?t=VUzqtTr2ioQcR_4s_iDKOQ&s=19

See?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
hahaha what the gently caress

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

hahaha what the gently caress

America is a kangaroo nation

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

incredible

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hahahahahahahahahahah

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lmao we're so bad at being a country

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Oh look, our many crises are starting to overlap.

Probably fine tho.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's like when they would announce mask mandates are back starting friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020
Incredible