Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nothus posted:

Apple is about to get owned by Google Glass 2.0 and everyone involved sees it coming

the ONLY way this is going to work is if it is indistinguishable from regular glasses to the point where nobody would do a double take like those ray-ban headphone frames. I'd be hesitant to dismiss it out of hand because I thought the Apple Watch was dumb but that took off and is successful, but it's gotta be perfect right out of the gate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nothus posted:

Apple is about to get owned by Google Glass 2.0 and everyone involved sees it coming

it is astonishing how well google poisoned the well of “wearable tech”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whatever happened to that guy that had a Google Glass drilled into his skull, or something like that?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Whatever happened to that guy that had a Google Glass drilled into his skull, or something like that?

he did a fusion dance with the guy who wore his google glass in the shower

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Literally wearing a google watch right now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Richard scoble tech guy showered with google glass

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

genericnick posted:

Literally wearing a google watch right now.

exactly

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Richard scoble tech guy showered with google glass

Scobled again!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there was a tv ad from like '99 or '00 where some tech guy with tech glasses is in a park with pigeons and he's yelling SELL BUY BUY BUY and the pigeons fly away. I think about that now when anyone talks about google glass. anyday now.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

also apple has the advantage of the apple watch already being pretty ubiquitous so if they had a reasonably fashionable frame with watch integration at least you wouldn't look like a nerd fumbling around with the controls like google glass had

theyre right to be afraid though, facebook ate poo poo on the quest 2 despite having the first remotely affordable "decent enough to be fun" vr system on the market. Zucc was expecting ONE BILLION adopters lmao, it's better to view it as a video game console, those expectations immediately becomes asinine; nintendo would never set sales goals for the Switch as "one billion units" and would probably be over-the-moon satisfied if 1 of every 7 people on the planet owned a Switch

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Mar 27, 2023

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Having a computer on your watch is about one thousand times less embarassing than having it on your face, that seems like a reasonable direction for wearable tech to go if you ignore the fact that interacting with anything as small as a watch face is going to be a huge pain in the rear end and seriously limit what you can do with it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

all it needs is a rumour that apple glasses are recording everything other people say and do and that’s it, glassholes redux, get out of the restaurant sir

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im pretty sure i read that the new apple thing isnt something that looks like glasses, it'll look like a big giant vr headset. something that looks like glasses might catch on if it was made by apple but i dont think anyone wants giant VR goggles

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

very little of all this tech poo poo actually makes us happier

map and directions on a phone, ok that one is good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Face computers are fine, loosen up people. AR google maps would be amazing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

map and directions on a phone, ok that one is good.

being able to look up how to get somewhere by bus that tells my dumbass exactly when and where to stand to not miss the bus eliminates the biggest issue people have with buses and should be encouraged as much as possible

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
oh how i love the computer

oh how i hate the computer

oh how i am the computer

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Marx Headroom posted:

if I see someone irl wearing a face computer I'm gonna make fun of your goofy cyborg rear end or at least quietly think you're a dumb rear end in a top hat. this will be the real cyberbulling

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lessail posted:

oh how i love the computer

oh how i hate the computer

oh how i am the computer

the internet is just mid grade telepathy (indirectly sending thoughts to others via waves in the air) so it makes sense that it collects and amplifies our worst neuroses

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Marx Headroom posted:

Can't wait for a future where the police have an open subpoena on everyone's eyeball feeds for " national security"

On that note apple can wake me up when they're selling cybereyes rather than fuckin goggles

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

sure the water might be toxic and the trains are all crashing and peoples' arms are rotting off but the government is on top of the real problem: banks needing bailouts

:patriot: :911:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

sure the water might be toxic and the trains are all crashing and peoples' arms are rotting off but the government is on top of the real problem: banks needing bailouts

hey buddy if those banks don't get bailed out we won't have no trains to crash!!!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

the bitcoin of weed posted:

if I see someone irl wearing a face computer I'm gonna make fun of your goofy cyborg rear end or at least quietly think you're a dumb rear end in a top hat. this will be the real cyberbulling

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

im pretty sure i read that the new apple thing isnt something that looks like glasses, it'll look like a big giant vr headset. something that looks like glasses might catch on if it was made by apple but i dont think anyone wants giant VR goggles

lol welp yeah good luck, especially because knowing apple it'll cost like two grand

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Father Wendigo posted:

Delaware River Update: Everything is fine and back to normal until 11:59 pm EST tonight.

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1640378021843460099?t=9uX4ozw3z4aITAwsu3Iu0g&s=19

Snake Plissken is back in:

Escape From Philly

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

actionjackson posted:

Not meant to. It's simply shiny crap capital fools you into buying so you feel a little less sad while you're struggling to pay rent and groceries.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/Noah__Goldberg/status/1640424076908036096

lol wtf

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the rail workers of america are returning the level of respect and consideration that congress and the president gave their union contract negotiation

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

VR's not doing so hot either. https://old.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/11h2eeq/the_state_of_pcvr_from_a_devs_perspective/

quote:

Just wanted to chime in on the topic of the stagnating PCVR market and lack of games from a dev perspective. https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/11g2glm/the_state_of_pcvr_no_growth_in_players_anymore/

We all know why AAA studios aren't investing in VR game dev, so pumping out PCVR games is still up to indie solo devs/studios with limited budget/manpower.But, truth be told, developing for PCVR has become unnecessarily tedious in the past few years:

You have to support several different, often outdated and hard-to-get headsets and vastly different controllers (OG Vive, Rift S, Rift CV1, Quest 1-2, Index, Reverb G2, OG WMRs, Pimax, Vive Cosmos, that obscure headset nobody heard of etc.). If you miss any of those, expect angry negative reviews.
You have to make sure VD works flawlessly, otherwise expect angry negative reviews.
You have to optimize for an insane amount of hardware and make sure your stuff works on every possible combination of PC parts.
You have to deal with a much more toxic review culture and a "slightly" less welcoming community than on other platforms.
You also have to financially endure Steam's sale culture where most ppl don't even look at games unless it's on a 30%+ sale.

All of the above is 100% manageable, but when you go into leveraging the work required and profit in return and mix that with the general lack of OEM activity/support in the PCVR space, suddenly developing for Quest/Pico or PSVR(2) becomes a lot more appealing, hence why most devs are focusing on those platforms, with PCVR being an afterthought (if it is considered at all).Not to mention the peer pressure from an ever-starving PCVR community.

As u/DOOManiac put it under my original comment on the topic:

Imagine you’re a small one to three person, development studio, and for your PC game you have to test 10 different mice, and make software changes for edge cases on each one.Also, the mice cost $500-$1000 each.

----

All of the above creates such an unwelcoming and rough dev environment that it legit scares off aspiring, or even well-established developers from even thinking about releasing a game on Steam.I personally don't expect this to change anytime soon - AAAs will stay away for a few more years if not more, indies will continue making standalone games with a graphically enhanced PCVR version on the side while OG VR peeps have to make do with F2VR mods, racing/flying sims and VRChat.Gamedev is a business after all, and simply put the PCVR market is not profitable at its current state (unless you're part of that 1% who strikes gold with a game concept).

edit:
P.S: although this is my personal take, it aligns with our studio's experiences (we're the ones behind Zero Caliber, A-Tech Cybernetic and Gambit!)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

shouldn't have hosed with the union

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Maed posted:

it's probably the cia putting that stuff in the fent and selling it as heroin, I'm sure we'll find out in 20 years

no probably about it, it'll be a conspiracy theory for madmen just like poisoning alcohol and crack were and when it's finally declassified it won't be accepted as proof that they're putting eye-melting acids in your tek...

the government can never do wrong currently, only whoopsies in the past

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
hmm I don't think the CIA would do something as mean as that. that's a very mean action for them to take

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Father Wendigo posted:

Delaware River Update: Everything is fine and back to normal until 11:59 pm EST tonight.

butyl acrylate, ethyl acrylate and methyl methacrylate

Are we gonna get a Flint situation? Are these chemicals reactive with the piping?

Like presumably even if they fix it (:lol:) it's still in the city's water pipes and needs to be flushed out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nine hours of drinkable water

Enough for anyone

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are we gonna get a Flint situation? Are these chemicals reactive with the piping?

Like presumably even if they fix it (:lol:) it's still in the city's water pipes and needs to be flushed out.

the chemicals are acting like a pipe leak repair, the plastic is building up and filling cracks in the system! the pipes are stronger than ever!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
C'mon, man! We're giving you access to drinkable water (for nine hours)!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

text editor posted:

lol the headline alone on this is too much

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1640407331606282240

The Chinese are undermining western arms supply chains with a vast and expensive army of dancing PAWGs

in this one case i'm willing to hand it to capitalism completely obliterating multiple nation's abilility to wage war because keeping "excess" capacity around for munition production isn't efficient, lmao.

very much a 'let them fight' but i'll cheer on the side that hosed over the warpigs. just this once.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

This thread needs something to cheer things up. Who's game for some LOL-CRIMEZ?

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1640406074330169370?t=nS3mx-tkqdRmB6gk5qLLTA&s=19

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

text editor posted:

lol the headline alone on this is too much

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1640407331606282240

The Chinese are undermining western arms supply chains with a vast and expensive army of dancing PAWGs

I'm torn: has MIC propaganda always been this loving lame and transparent, or are they so desperate to make China the Big Bad of the 2020s that they push out this bullshit in hopes that gullible idiots will buy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao

https://twitter.com/FirePhotoGirl/status/1640399939351240705