Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I hope they roll the altar into the base game and just cycle the other themes on top of it. I imagine the seasons are going to start to really stretch starting with s30 and getting stuck with a really long season of just double gobbos would be a big bummer. Same if they just literally go down the line and repeat the LoD gem season because no one had the time to do more than copy/paste/commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
My only surprise is I expected there would be a year's worth of new season gimmicks planned out.

But I am absolutely not surprised that an eleven-year-old game has reached its end of life while the company's complete and undivided attention is focused on the launch of its sequel.

Jows
May 8, 2002

The QOL upgrades are mandatory from here on out IMO. If those aren't in in some fashion the game is unplayable.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It was really lazy of them to enable salvage on pickup and death's breath pickup by pets, but crafting materials still have to be clicked on. And why can only pets pick up death's breaths?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Star Man posted:

My only surprise is I expected there would be a year's worth of new season gimmicks planned out.

But I am absolutely not surprised that an eleven-year-old game has reached its end of life while the company's complete and undivided attention is focused on the launch of its sequel.

There very well might have been, at least white boarded but yeah it doesn't surprise me that they're using the d4 launch roughly as their official transition point.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I guess the season cycle will account for some of that but whatever build is strong / weak now will probably be strong / weak from now on

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
This is the point where it could have improved more as an offline game. Modders could have picked up like they have with D2.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
All I want at this point is pets to pick up gems and mats, and then I think that's all the QoL updates I need. Next step after that would be pets just run the Grifts while you chill in town, and I suppose I don't technically need that.h

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm holding out some hope of the qol stuff being made permanent for the next small season, and locking in the base game there. In any case, I'll be happy so long as the servers stay on.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Welp, it's what we all expected. TBH I've only played the past few seasons in a row - before that, I played maybe 2-3 throughout the years and that was it? But still, I'm okay for D3 to be sunset.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Just got DIIR and DIII+expansions for the nintendo switch. Laptop can't run either, and I'll be playing through with my "weed and games" buddy who I beat the original Diablo with back in the day... so I don't mind buying it again.

drat this game (DIII) has changed, and it's not just the console difference. I'm currently playing through campaign mode with a necromancer just to get reacquainted. Its been years, so story mode one time... just to put in the work.

Anyway is there a definitive resource for D3? It's gone through so many changes, some of the material in the OP doesn't even reference the switch. I don't need builds, more the current mechanics of the game.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
It'll be just over 9 years between RoS release <--> D4 release (assuming no delays).
(11 years if you count pre-RoS D3, but really no-one does)

Even if we stay on the current seasonal rewards rotation - e.g next season will be s29 + some of s17's rewards - there's still a long time before we get around to the point of "oh, this is the 3rd time I've seen this season, boooooring".

And, just like we're all praying that the Altar of Rites from s28 is becoming a permanent feature of all new seasonal + non-seasonal content (although I'm pretty sure it'll be rebalanced to a degree), it'll be awesome to see some of the older seasonal features potentially be permanent as well - after all, what's to lose at this point?

Triune's Will, 4th Kanai slot, soul shards, Sanctified - shove it all back in there. Or even just have the Altar of Rites unlock a seasonal theme for you, depending on what you feel like playing today.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

BRJurgis posted:

Anyway is there a definitive resource for D3? It's gone through so many changes, some of the material in the OP doesn't even reference the switch. I don't need builds, more the current mechanics of the game.

Maxroll and icy-veins should have everything you need.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

BRJurgis posted:

Just got DIIR and DIII+expansions for the nintendo switch. Laptop can't run either, and I'll be playing through with my "weed and games" buddy who I beat the original Diablo with back in the day... so I don't mind buying it again.

drat this game (DIII) has changed, and it's not just the console difference. I'm currently playing through campaign mode with a necromancer just to get reacquainted. Its been years, so story mode one time... just to put in the work.

Maxroll.gg is where I get all my info. The build guides usually explain the mechanics you are going to engage with, like hitting attack speed breakpoints and that kind of thing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Given the competitive nature of the seasonal ladder, I feel like it makes more sense to roll the altar into the base game, where experienced seasonal players will already have so much Paragon by this point that the game is broken, and make seasonal gameplay more limited/challenging.

Most casuals or newcomers likely don't go straight into seasonal play unless someone explicitly tells them to make a seaonal char, so it makes more sense to have the training wheels on there, and let the seasonal themes work the way they were originally designed.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Don Dongington posted:

Given the competitive nature of the seasonal ladder, I feel like it makes more sense to roll the altar into the base game, where experienced seasonal players will already have so much Paragon by this point that the game is broken, and make seasonal gameplay more limited/challenging.

Most casuals or newcomers likely don't go straight into seasonal play unless someone explicitly tells them to make a seaonal char, so it makes more sense to have the training wheels on there, and let the seasonal themes work the way they were originally designed.

Only bots play non-season for more than a week. All altar all the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it makes the most sense for them to keep the altar as a permanent season gimmick and cycle through the rest, simply because nobody's gonna wanna play the seasons where you're reset by like 15 GR tiers.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The altar should absolutely be a permanent fixture. There are so many mix & match options from earlier seasons they could throw together in maintenance mode.

double gob + freeform cube
auto RoRG + auto LoN
4th cube slot + double blood shards

Well it's just mostly those but it'd be easy to add like "everyone has Nemesis Bracers and Convention of Elements" and stuff like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My favorite idea for a season is where almost everything in the game has a small chance of causing the Nemesis Bracers effect, including stuff like visiting the blacksmith or clicking on your stash.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Massacre bonuses trigger the Nemesis Bracers effect"

Doesn't affect GRs, gets you right back into the thick of it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Nemesis Bracers Effect triggers Nemesis Bracers Effect.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Everyone having nemesis bracers would be awesome. Somehow it makes rifts feel so much faster even if it is just 4 more elite packs

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Picking up gold triggers the nemesis bracers effect

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Picking up gold triggers the nemesis bracers effect

The servers are already almost melting from large number calculations, that'd just end the game.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Logging in triggers nemesis bracers. Even in town

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Hmm Maxroll has LoD WoL ranked above Tal Rasha for solo XP, surely this can't be right? (Although I'm hoping it is because I've gotten more useful Monk primals than Wizard ones.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Edit: NvM

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.

Boatswain posted:

Hmm Maxroll has LoD WoL ranked above Tal Rasha for solo XP, surely this can't be right? (Although I'm hoping it is because I've gotten more useful Monk primals than Wizard ones.)

As I understand it, the gear you’d need for lod bells to beat tal’s xp/hour is absurd to the point of not bothering unless you bot 24/7

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Boatswain posted:

Seems like its better for killing lots of things faster, since Tal Rasha has a rotation and isn't doing its max dps constantly, and the monk rotation is BELLSBELLSBELLSBELLSBELLSBEL

Is there a cap to damage in the game? Or is there just a soft cap in that there is technically a cap but we can't hit it without 10s of thousands of paragon points? I've definitely done 10s of trillions of damage with a crit, so that seems higher than damage in games usually allows. something about caps for data types or integers or something. IDK I haven't done anything with programming since high school in 2008

A Moose fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 27, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I won't consider Diablo 3 truly beaten until my damage numbers get so high that the local entropy causes my PC to collapse into a black hole.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I bet certain builds could kill a Switch.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

A Moose posted:

Is there a cap to damage in the game? Or is there just a soft cap in that there is technically a cap but we can't hit it without 10s of thousands of paragon points? I've definitely done 10s of trillions of damage with a crit, so that seems higher than damage in games usually allows. something about caps for data types or integers or something. IDK I haven't done anything with programming since high school in 2008
The only two data types you'd use for damage are 32-bit integers (which can hold a value up to ~2.1 billion, or ~4.2 billion if you like to live dangerously) and 64-bit integers (which can hold a value up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, or roughly 1 billion * 9.2 billion). It's fairly clear that Diablo 3 isn't using the first one.

The second one might explain why there aren't GR levels above 150: a GR 150 boss is starting to approach that level of health.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Incoherence posted:

The only two data types you'd use for damage are 32-bit integers (which can hold a value up to ~2.1 billion, or ~4.2 billion if you like to live dangerously) and 64-bit integers (which can hold a value up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, or roughly 1 billion * 9.2 billion). It's fairly clear that Diablo 3 isn't using the first one.

The second one might explain why there aren't GR levels above 150: a GR 150 boss is starting to approach that level of health.

The health total for greater rift bosses would probably hit that cap before damage did.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
WoW "solved" the problem by having multi stage bosses that healed back to full between stages.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think 7-8 years ago Diablo 3 did switch over to a 64-bit client, probably in part to help manage the swelling damage numbers at that point. The old client would probably CTD as soon as you zoned into a GR120 these days.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I've seen some 12,000 T damage numbers on my Tal meteors with everything aligned. It was weird because I expected a 12 Q.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
this weeks challenge rift certainly is a challenge (it sucks)

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think 7-8 years ago Diablo 3 did switch over to a 64-bit client, probably in part to help manage the swelling damage numbers at that point. The old client would probably CTD as soon as you zoned into a GR120 these days.

You can still use 64 bit numbers in a 32 bit executable. What the switch to 64b allows you to do is to use more memory.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

this weeks challenge rift certainly is a challenge (it sucks)

I came back to d3 after the d4 beta ended and oh man, this build. Had better luck mobbing up as much as possible then holding right click rather than trying to use the left click at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's no real point do challenge rifts after the first week or two IMO. Especially with double caches now. They're slightly less annoying than set dungeons to me.

Only other reason I do them is if I'm on switch and don't do split bounties. Otherwise, ugh.