Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

RBA Starblade posted:

I flip the bits by hand

Emacs is the way to go. Just easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I learned nano and just couldn't come to grips with vim or emacs. Been using mousepad on SteamOS.

Hopper posted:

My deck arrives tomorrow,and I am eager to try it. Stupid question: For emulation purposes, how do I get the game roms onto the microsd?

As far as I understand, the format the deck uses is not compatible with windows.
What is everybody's preferred workaround/software for this?
There are many options and it looks like they have all been mentioned. For your use case, maybe an external drive would be easiest for a one-and-done transfer.

Check the beginner's guide link in the OP, which has step-by-step guides for FTP and SFTP if you prefer that route.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 27, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

Apropos of nothing, what is the USB floppy drive du jour?

The Dell dock port floppy with the usb mini connector on it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because anydesk and all the other stuff I mentioned is in the discover store so I don’t have to gently caress around forever configuring poo poo just to install a thing because Linux is stupid
So is VNC https://apps.kde.org/krfb/
Just think its real weird how this thread always zeroes in on the most backwards halfassed ways to do things. Using a freakin shareware program with a session timer lmao

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Dell dock port floppy with the usb mini connector on it
This is the way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Has anybody managed to stream Deck gameplay to Discord?

My friends are way too excited for me to play Outer Wilds, and one of them said if I was playing it I should just start streaming it to his Discord and he'd watch if he saw I was online, but I was planning on playing on the Deck and I don't know if that's, like, a thing you can do

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

You do realise the plug-in developers and the decky developers are different people, right?

Just because one group of people are happy to keep spending their free time on a hobby project doesn’t mean everyone working on things adjacent to it has to be too.

It's just the irony of "ugh this breaks too much and we're sick of fixing it" when their own SW does the exact same thing. I've had to reinstall at least 3 times now. I can't complain though given the price.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

It's just the irony of "ugh this breaks too much and we're sick of fixing it" when their own SW does the exact same thing. I've had to reinstall at least 3 times now. I can't complain though given the price.

You’re misunderstanding, the plug-in developer is the one who said “this plugin breaks too much and I’m sick of fixing it” because valve’s OS updates were breaking it, not changes to decky.

The decky developers have absolutely nothing to do with it beyond removing it from the storefront since it was broken and no longer maintained so why leave it up

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 27, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

loquacius posted:

My friends are way too excited for me to play Outer Wilds

Games I wish I could experience again for the first time:

Earthbound
Dark Souls 1
Planescape: Torment
Outer Wilds

Your friends are right to be excited for you, the game owns.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Outer Wilds was the first game I played to completion when I got my Deck. It was fantastic.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

loquacius posted:

My friends are way too excited for me to play Outer Wilds, and one of them said if I was playing it I should just start streaming it to his Discord and he'd watch if he saw I was online, but I was planning on playing on the Deck and I don't know if that's, like, a thing you can do

Streaming on discord is... not quite there. There is an official Linux client but when you stream there's no audio for people watching. There's various hacky solutions for this issue and even a separate discord client on the Discover store but I've not tried any of them.

Hope you enjoy Outer Wilds however you do play it!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Only goons would be like, "you mean I need a USB DRIVE??? WHAT SORT OF PRINCELY SUM WILL THAT ALSO COST ME?? GABEN IS FILTH!"

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 27, 2023

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I probably should have tried reimaging first but steam support jumped straight to RMA after a few basic tests. I guess I am deck-free for a few weeks. Fortunately since it's a deck and not a normal console I can just keep playing the same poo poo but on my normal PC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Only goons would be like, "you mean I need a USB DRIVE??? WHAT SORT OF PRINCELY SUM WILL THAT ALSO COST ME?? GABEN IS FILTH!"

nobody said this

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

You kind probably also use scp, the gentleman's sftp.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Imagine not using filezilla

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

I use winscp because I wasn't raised in a barn

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With the power of, being able to use the Steam Deck however you like, comes the sad reality that most people will use it Wrong. May god have mercy upon their souls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

homeless snail posted:

With the power of, being able to use the Steam Deck however you like, comes the sad reality that most people will use it Wrong. May god have mercy upon their souls.

Currently it's my GTA Online machine, and I don't care if it's right.

It's perfect.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

barbecue at the folks posted:

I just use a USB drive, minimal hassle.

I feel dumb now.

Didn't even consider this because googling "how to transfer files to steam deck" gave me many different software based solutions without mentioning a usb drive.
So I came here and asked what software was best because I had neve heard of most of them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Streaming on discord is... not quite there. There is an official Linux client but when you stream there's no audio for people watching. There's various hacky solutions for this issue and even a separate discord client on the Discover store but I've not tried any of them.

Hope you enjoy Outer Wilds however you do play it!

Interestingly, you can use the Remote Play functionality to stream from the steam deck to a PC (I just tested it), but the Steam broadcast stuff doesn't seem to be implemented yet (the stream just says it's not supported from that device)

e: actually, if you do it from desktop mode you have the Steam Broadcast settings there,and the Deck claims it's broadcasting, but the stream is just loading forever. Might be worth investigating?

e2: or the silly solution that definitely works: Use Remote Play from the deck to your PC, and then stream the PC screen on Discord :v:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 27, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hopper posted:

I feel dumb now.

Didn't even consider this because googling "how to transfer files to steam deck" gave me many different software based solutions without mentioning a usb drive.
So I came here and asked what software was best because I had neve heard of most of them.

I use the "World's Easiest FTP" method on the wiki. It's the most vanilla solution that doesn't require setting up passwords or installing anything on your other device.
https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/File_transfer

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That's... a lot more steps than just setting a password and turning SSH on.

Though I guess not every browser has SFTP support.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love how 90% of people just need to get a few roms and iso files or whatever onto their gaben fun game machine thing, probably already own a USB stick or seven and still people are telling them to spend a good chunk of time learn how to use the linux terminal because otherwise you are doing it Wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love messing around with this kind of stuff and have spent hours fiddling with my retropie to get it just right, but I've decided to use the Deck as a mostly vanilla games thing for relaxing and will probably never be arsed enough to start loving around with the linux side of things. I was relieved to realize I mostly don't have to.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

installation
Copy this into console and
copy this into a shortcut

running
click the shortcut

That's a pretty short list of steps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

barbecue at the folks posted:

I love how 90% of people just need to get a few roms and iso files or whatever onto their gaben fun game machine thing, probably already own a USB stick or seven and still people are telling them to spend a good chunk of time learn how to use the linux terminal because otherwise you are doing it Wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love messing around with this kind of stuff and have spent hours fiddling with my retropie to get it just right, but I've decided to use the Deck as a mostly vanilla games thing for relaxing and will probably never be arsed enough to start loving around with the linux side of things. I was relieved to realize I mostly don't have to.

I own a lot of USB sticks and none of them fit no matter how many times I flip the connector over

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Tiny Timbs posted:

I own a lot of USB sticks and none of them fit no matter how many times I flip the connector over

Have you tried a glass of chardonnay?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Things that people should never expect other people to do:

Run a command in a terminal window
Solder anything, ever
Know anything about kernels
Know anything about linux that isn't already used in a typical use case of Windows/MacOS

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Got my first Steam Deck'd airplane flight today. Is the stock carrying case TSA compliant, or are they gonna make me take it out of the case for the xray?

Also when does cloud sync happen? Do I need to boot every game, or does it synch every so often when it's on

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

GigaPeon posted:

Got my first Steam Deck'd airplane flight today. Is the stock carrying case TSA compliant, or are they gonna make me take it out of the case for the xray?

Also when does cloud sync happen? Do I need to boot every game, or does it synch every so often when it's on

Having done 4 flights with it since last October, I just take the case out of my backpack, but don’t bother unzipping it. Haven’t had any issues

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

After you quit the game and before you start the game. Syncing happens automatically when you're online. Basically turn your deck on before going offline and let it autosync. It will say Steam cloud: up to date on the game page.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

loquacius posted:

With the caveat that I've only done this on Windows, not the Steam Deck: OBS + YouTube/Twitch is less intensive to stream for my potato GPU than streaming through Discord directly. You can have OBS create an unlisted YouTube live link for your friends, which you can share to them separately, and mute your mic audio within OBS so it's not coming through the stream twice (look up a tutorial on how to set up audio sources within OBS)

Streaming directly through Discord usually causes my feed to lag or get distorted, and as I understand it's more resource intensive than OBS alone.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
To transfer a few small roms I just used KDE Connect.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a literal drawer full of adapters and dongles, but I recognize that USB type-A to type-C isn't something most people experience often.

Just use what's familiar, comfortable, and least hassle for you and your use case. Don't let the Linux people hear though.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Buff Hardback posted:

Having done 4 flights with it since last October, I just take the case out of my backpack, but don’t bother unzipping it. Haven’t had any issues

And if you have tsa pre check, don’t even take it out of the backpack

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't like using the terminal on the Steam Deck because typing on it is uncomfortable (I frequently mistakenly hit outside of the keyboard when trying to type numbers/characters from the top row, which closes the keyboard). I guess you can plug an actual keyboard into the Steam Deck if it uses USB-C? Or can it take Bluetooth?

unruly posted:

Emacs is the way to go. Just easier.

I could never get into this stuff (I just use Visual Studio Code). I think it requires a certain kind of brain/mindset. I've seen coworkers using it and trying to sell it to me, but it seems like a lot of "hyper-optimization" doesn't actually save much time once you account for time learning/relearning new systems/tools (and accounting for mistakes in the process of doing so).

The selling points are often things like "you can work with anything in a single program and do anything using just the keyboard and keys that are relatively close together," but when is stuff like that ever actually a bottleneck? I never find myself thinking "drat, if I only I could save the fraction of a second I lost by needing to click on a thing with my mouse." It's like some people just have a certain obsession/compulsion with "streamlining their workflow" and/or "curating their work environment" (that is sometimes even counterproductive).

There's this one guy I know through work (he's sort of part of the community in our matrix channel rather than an employee) who created some Emacs plugin where he can search through his filesystem using these 3-letter codes (it's basically just a tagging system, but using weird unintuitive 3-letter codes), and it's the sort of thing that only makes sense if part of your brain is just deeply bothered by not saving 1-2 seconds when doing a particular task (in this case he was bothered by having to type longer words where the letters were further apart on the keyboard, so he created these 3-letter codes with the intent of the letters being easy to type together).

I have no problem with people just having a personal preference for this stuff (you can make pretty much anything work for you, as long as you're comfortable with it), but in my experience many of these people seem incapable of comprehending that their own experience is not some universal truth and other people are not plagued by the same compulsions they are. For example, the guy with the Emacs plug-in mentioned above genuinely believed that everyone could benefit from it and that it was solving a real problem (rather than obviously being the result of some sort of optimization/efficiency compulsion specific to himself). Command line stuff is good for certain things (it's a lot easier to write a command line program than one with a GUI, so many command line tools exist that don't have GUI alternatives), but I don't really see the advantage for something like editing documents/code - that just seems more like personal preference.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I don't like using the terminal on the Steam Deck because typing on it is uncomfortable (I frequently mistakenly hit outside of the keyboard when trying to type numbers/characters from the top row, which closes the keyboard). I guess you can plug an actual keyboard into the Steam Deck if it uses USB-C? Or can it take Bluetooth?
It can take bluetooth but, you aren't actually trying to type on the keyboard with the touch screen are you? Its really meant to be used with the trackpads.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

homeless snail posted:

It can take bluetooth but, you aren't actually trying to type on the keyboard with the touch screen are you? Its really meant to be used with the trackpads.

Trackpads are even slower to use for this, though. I prefer them for moving the mouse around, but typing with them is slow/uncomfortable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The terminal is miserable to use with the built-in keyboard because it’s straight up missing keys

I don’t think you can do stuff like Ctrl-C either

I managed to struggle through it to configure and run some python stuff while stuck in a hospital room but it was seriously frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Hopper posted:

My deck arrives tomorrow,and I am eager to try it. Stupid question: For emulation purposes, how do I get the game roms onto the microsd?

As far as I understand, the format the deck uses is not compatible with windows.
What is everybody's preferred workaround/software for this?

I just add them to a USB stick on my PC then plug the stick into my Deck and drag them into the relevant rom folder