Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Let me guess union pacific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Celexi posted:

Let me guess union pacific

Yep.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I don’t like the governor but easing some emergency drought restrictions in a very wet year is probably good.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Most reservoirs are currently doing okay/are releasing water to prevent overtopping.

The main thing in the executive order is changing some water agencies allocations from 35% of what they requested to 75%. The regions still in heavy drought are still under restrictions and stuff aimed at groundwater recharge is still restricted.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

im saint germain posted:

Goddamn I wish I put "Blast Corps LARP" on my 2023 bingo card
Blast Corps was great. Living Blast Corps though... well maybe if I get to pilot the demo mecha. :v:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I don’t like the governor but easing some emergency drought restrictions in a very wet year is probably good.

I’m not a botanist but I kinda think the climate is start to change and maybe we should get used to doing more with less but idk

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

I’m not a botanist but I kinda think the climate is start to change and maybe we should get used to doing more with less but idk

You're conflating weather and climate like a republican dude. Drought restrictions can be reinstated as necessary, but we don't need to live under emergency austerity when there's a good year and the reservoirs are full and more rain is on the way.

Anyway, did you know that the state is actually pretty good about doing more with less? As population goes up, total water use has remained basically the same for like 70 years

But yeah we should be building more groundwater recharge and water recycling infrastructure, paying the true cost of eating beef and fossil fuels, show trials for celebrities with orchards

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
does our awful water rights system rest in the state constitution, or does is it in the treaty of guadalupe hidalgo that we have to honor mexican water rights

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Those perfidious mexicans stealing our water, thanks to the treaty of guadalupe hidalgo, which we won by the way.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my uneducated gut assumption is that water rights come from some dumb common law bullshit

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
let’s find William blackstone and kick his rear end

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The human body is mostly water, maybe scientists can do something with that to resolve the drought

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jokes posted:

The human body is mostly water, maybe scientists can do something with that to resolve the drought

'A man's flesh is his own; the water belongs to the tribe.'

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my uneducated gut assumption is that water rights come from some dumb common law bullshit

Much worse. Much much worse. See here.

There are riparian rights (is your property smack dab on a river or lake), pre-1914 water rights, post-1914 water rights, and prescriptive rights which somehow modify the second two. None of these apply to ground water.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
We could use the Tank Girl water extractors to forcibly remove any excess water from people before they leave the state.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Water rights were artfully explained by There Will be Blood

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

drilldo squirt posted:

Those perfidious mexicans stealing our water, thanks to the treaty of guadalupe hidalgo, which we won by the way.

good job drilldo squirt

the treaty of guadalupe hidalgo compelled the US to honor the property rights and many other rights of people living in California. it's why land grants and ranchos are still the basis for roads, property descriptions, subdivisions, etc.

my mind was wandering, and I wondered that if it applied to those ranchos' and pueblos' water rights, and whether we might have to sign a treaty with mexico to reform and rationalize water so that disgusting family farmers can no longer get richer by selling free/$cheap water to urban water districts for $many/acre-foot.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

jokes posted:

OgNar posted:

We could use the Tank Girl water extractors to forcibly remove any excess water from people before they leave the state.

You know that some politician in this state is going to propose rounding up the homeless with the national guard and extracting their precious bodily fluids instead.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

jokes posted:

Best I can do is a new Water Vapor Offset Tax on cremations. Take it or leave it. :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxXqjdpnug

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-03-30/ridley-thomas-verdict-corruption-case
"Of the 19 counts against Ridley-Thomas, jurors found him guilty of seven: conspiracy, bribery, honest services mail fraud and four counts of honest services wire fraud."

"Ultimately, the foreperson said, the funneling of a $100,000 donation from Ridley-Thomas’ campaign committee through USC to a nonprofit led by the politician’s son persuaded jurors to convict.

“It ended up being the $100,000 donation,” Kilpelainen said, explaining that it was clear Ridley-Thomas directed the movement of funds, and that the funneling of money came in advance of a summer 2018 vote by Ridley-Thomas to extend a contract with USC."

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Good news: big snow pack (possibly 1st or 2nd largest recorded)

Bad news: big snow pack is gonna melt (big floods forecasted for the central valley)

https://water.ca.gov/News/News-Releases/2023/April-23/Snow-Survey-April-2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95L3i9lQZJY
interesting stuff starts at 19:28

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Good news: big snow pack (possibly 1st or 2nd largest recorded)

Bad news: big snow pack is gonna melt (big floods forecasted for the central valley)

https://water.ca.gov/News/News-Releases/2023/April-23/Snow-Survey-April-2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95L3i9lQZJY
interesting stuff starts at 19:28

Gonna see billboards floating next to the 5 saying "Restart the Congress Created Dustbowl"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

OH NO!!!!!1

https://www.latimes.com/california/...them-being-cops

"Unless they are cleared by a Commission of Peace Officer Standards, or POST, investigation or succeed in an appeal, the officers accused of serious misconduct including sexual misconduct, fraud, excessive force and abuse on duty will not be able to work as sworn officers for any California police agency. This is an additional punishment to whatever actions prosecutors or their own departments take against them."

"The legislation was enacted in 2021, and author state Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Gardena) said it was needed to prevent police officers who are fired or resign during misconduct investigations from moving to another police agency."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Union Pacific licking its lips

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

OgNar posted:

OH NO!!!!!1

"Unless they are cleared by a Commission of Peace Officer Standards, or POST, investigation or succeed in an appeal, the officers accused of serious misconduct including sexual misconduct, fraud, excessive force and abuse on duty will not be able to work as sworn officers for any California police agency. This is an additional punishment to whatever actions prosecutors or their own departments take against them."

"The legislation was enacted in 2021, and author state Sen. Steven Bradford (D-Gardena) said it was needed to prevent police officers who are fired or resign during misconduct investigations from moving to another police agency."

I wonder if the reason TX/FL have so many people moving there from CA are just lovely cops who were kicked out of CA.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

So what's happening with the San Jose police union lady that got caught dealing opioids? Any further investigation here, or is everyone in charge just agreeing that it was a single person doing this?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/04...ight-questions/

quote:

The union — as well as the San Jose Police Department and city officials — has condemned Segovia’s alleged actions but has said that “no other individual associated with the POA is involved, being investigated, or suspected by the authorities of knowing or participating in any way in this incident.

quote:

In its statement, the union said it has “cooperated fully with federal authorities in their investigation” and has “initiated its own internal investigation of this matter as required by its policies and law, which means we are not permitted to share those results publicly.”

I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of this right away.

quote:

In April 2022, a fentanyl overdose claimed the life of a San Jose police officer — and across the country, officers have had run-ins with the drug, resulting in several hospitalizations, including that of a Sunnyvale police officer in 2019. For years, San Jose Police and other agencies supporting law enforcement have warned about fentanyl, advocating for tougher laws against dealers and warning about the exposure that officers in particular have to the drug.

I had to look this one up as I've heard that fentanyl contact deaths are pretty much made up. This dude just ODed in his own house but you would not get that from the context in this article. Thanks, Mercury News!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

OgNar posted:

OH NO!!!!!1

The pearl clutching tone on this is giving me psychic damage.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol yeah I'm sure that this lady who literally operated her smuggling ring from union HQ to the point that she used her work email and had a package with product that was detained briefly by customs released to the union HQ address acted totally alone, with nobody else even remotely involved or even any the wiser to what was going on. Just another unfortunate rotten apple making an otherwise good system look bad, smdh.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
anyway, we’ll now vote on the measure to increase police funding. all in favor…

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/NateGartrell/status/1644516908958629888
Antioch police racist texting

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

if police are texting, they are racist texting

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Cops... Bad?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Before and after images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2i_jaY3JdQ

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol most of them aren’t even full. They are like, 10+ feet down.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lol most of them aren’t even full. They are like, 10+ feet down.

They have to reserve some capacity to deal with flooding when the snowpack starts to melt.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Family Values posted:

They have to reserve some capacity to deal with flooding when the snowpack starts to melt.

Which will be way before the summer

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Beautiful honestly.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This has turned the perpetual screaming volume in my brain down by at least 7%, thank you.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Burning_Monk posted:

Beautiful honestly.

Turn on your monitor ;-*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shooting in Roseville happened right next to my house. My wife and I were in Reno doing a college visit with our oldest and we had 2 daughters home alone. Scary poo poo.