Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

my favorite forgotten and underrated PS2 wrestling game is Urban Reign

gently caress fighting Golem though. Even more so when he's teamed with Napalm 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

gently caress fighting Golem though. Even more so when he's teamed with Napalm 99.

i laughed so hard when the followup to finally beating Golem after trying that fight like 70 times was "okay now fight him and Napalm 99 at the same time"

the APA of Urban Reign

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Ganso Bomb posted:

No Mercy isn't even the superior US N64 wrestling game. It's honestly pretty bloated, IMO, and the true best game out of the AKI series in the states is WCW/nWo Revenge.

Counterpoint: "dig dig diggity, dig diggity dawg"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bonk posted:

SOCKO

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

All your data is now erased! Back to start. :bahgawd:

(Hahahahahahaha UHH!)

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

i laughed so hard when the followup to finally beating Golem after trying that fight like 70 times was "okay now fight him and Napalm 99 at the same time"

the APA of Urban Reign

It was only a few months ago when I discovered that the key to beating him is to go for his legs. He does not do well against Dragon Screws.

He still sucks to fight though considering he can just go "lol I'm now invulnerable and do more damage" whenever he feels like it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

For as good as VPW2 is, it doesn't have the table or ladders.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hoss Corncave posted:

It was only a few months ago when I discovered that the key to beating him is to go for his legs. He does not do well against Dragon Screws.

He still sucks to fight though considering he can just go "lol I'm now invulnerable and do more damage" whenever he feels like it.

thats when the cheese comes out of just Running The gently caress Away until that runs out

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Dishwasher posted:

(Hahahahahahaha UHH!)

"It's the year 2000. What do kids like?"
"Uh... Socko, and... Beavis and Butthead?"
"Didn't that come out like 7 years ago?"
"Just... Just put it in the song."

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Dishwasher posted:

had lovely entrances
You take that back

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dishwasher posted:

VPW 2, the AJPW licenced AKI game, wins for better nerdier Puro roster, better frame rate, mma/pride fighting rules, CPU logic (!!!), full entrances, fully functional create-a-belt mode, mask maker, and feeling like a great cap for the series. But it's more generic sandboxy environment, high import costs, and language barrier made it a truly hidden gem for a while until translation patches and things like Freem Edition (which add the American rosters, belts, and a bit of signage to the game) opened it up. It has the Revenge combo system back and you can put it on your CAWs. You know you want to put that poo poo on your CAWs. VPW2 is Love, VPW2 is Life.

So I guess the best AKI game is VPW 2: Freem Edition. https://vpw.ajworld.net/vpw2freem/

No Mercy was colorless, had lovely entrances, no logic, and bad framerates. It was a drag compared to how vibrant and alive the others in the series were.

I’ve always wanted to take the translated version of VPW and put it on a homemade cartridge. Maybe I’ll do that this year.

Bonk posted:

Can’t argue with that.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Basic Chunnel posted:

You take that back

SexualChocolate.midi is an all timer but nothing beats Misawa standing stoic-ly in his humble locker room while his song plays for 15 seconds before he walks out onto the ring-height AKI Dome ramp.

edit: while Ogawa stands there staring at him*

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Shard posted:

You just unlocked a memory of a really lovely ps2 game state of emergency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPSETftLf6w

That game was a lot of fun to pick up and gently caress around with, the tryhard 2006 sequel was way worse

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i played so much state of emergency bc it always went unrented at the local movie gallery. crazy my mom let me play it at like... 8 years old

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Even in 2001 that game felt racist

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dishwasher posted:

All your data is now erased! Back to start. :bahgawd:

(Hahahahahahaha UHH!)

did they ever figure out what caused this? i heard after a while there was a second version released that fixed it but tbh i've never heard of anybody who owned it, everybody i know who played No Mercy had their game erase itself at some point

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I remember my young mind being blown with excitement on No Mercy when the opposing wrestler would stay down for a non cutscene People’s Elbow or The Worm chop

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dishwasher posted:

VPW 2, the AJPW licenced AKI game, wins for better nerdier Puro roster, better frame rate, mma/pride fighting rules, CPU logic (!!!), full entrances, fully functional create-a-belt mode, mask maker, and feeling like a great cap for the series. But it's more generic sandboxy environment, high import costs, and language barrier made it a truly hidden gem for a while until translation patches and things like Freem Edition (which add the American rosters, belts, and a bit of signage to the game) opened it up. It has the Revenge combo system back and you can put it on your CAWs. You know you want to put that poo poo on your CAWs. VPW2 is Love, VPW2 is Life.

So I guess the best AKI game is VPW 2: Freem Edition. https://vpw.ajworld.net/vpw2freem/

No Mercy was colorless, had lovely entrances, no logic, and bad framerates. It was a drag compared to how vibrant and alive the others in the series were.

very little thing that vpw2 did no one else has. It let you pick what moves were ko and blood moves during charcter creation

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oldskool posted:

did they ever figure out what caused this? i heard after a while there was a second version released that fixed it but tbh i've never heard of anybody who owned it, everybody i know who played No Mercy had their game erase itself at some point

you could actually mail your buggy copy in and theyd patch it/replace it and mail you a cartridge back

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Super No Vacancy posted:

you could actually mail your buggy copy in and theyd patch it/replace it and mail you a cartridge back

Yeah i took advantage of that when it was possible

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Everyone here should follow the IZWF

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

neoaxd posted:

Everyone here should follow the IZWF

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

oldskool posted:

No idea, but I, to this day, have my copy that I bought on launch day that never had the wipe issue and still has my dumb renames we did like for some reason The Rock was renamed to "Rocky Madavita" like he Italian or something.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
They let you turn off the dumbass timing based kickout system in 2K23, so it's my favourite wrestling game in forever.

Also, for whatever reason, I'm much less prone to accidentally deleting all my hard work in the creation suite in 2K23. In 2K22 I was doing it constantly, backing out of things in a way that I didn't realize was gonna undo everything.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

El Generico posted:

They let you turn off the dumbass timing based kickout system in 2K23, so it's my favourite wrestling game in forever.

Also, for whatever reason, I'm much less prone to accidentally deleting all my hard work in the creation suite in 2K23. In 2K22 I was doing it constantly, backing out of things in a way that I didn't realize was gonna undo everything.

I did this in 2k22 as well, when I got it on PS+, at least.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

El Generico posted:

Flicking the stick feels more natural in a weird way. Women's My Rise continues to be pretty funny. I murdered Dana Brooke a couple times for the 24/7 title (powerbombed her off a ledge through a table, then shooting star press, powerbombed her off a higher ledge.) then the aunt screws you out of the title off screen while you were asleep and just gives it back to Dana lol

Also I picked Liv Morgan as my tag partner for the MITB match and someone dumped a lighting rig on her backstage so RIP Liv Morgan I guess. I think I'm like a 90 over all stats so every match is a severe rear end beating of whoever they've thrown at me, until I botch a move and I get my rear end kicked for a while because I can't figure out the combo breaker counters, and the I manage to reverse something and the path of destruction continues.

Poor Shotzi was getting beat down for like 3 weeks in a row. Game is fun.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I haven't played 2k23 yet but in 2k22 you could just slap all the face buttons at the same time to get the combo breakers pretty reliably

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I ended up buying the drat game because I pretty much always end up buying these drat games, and I’m not convinced that Fight Forever is going to come out anytime soon.

The game plays a little better than last years, and War Games turned out pretty good! Closed roof war games is better in real life but the open-roof works better for video games and let’s you do crazy dives.

The CAS is very cumbersome, but some people live for that poo poo and there are some awesome content on community creations already.

I haven’t tried many game modes yet, but showcase is terrible and I wish they’d get rid of it. It’s the only way to unlock certain wrestlers though so you have to play through it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

From the couple of playthroughs I've watched so far, the game seems mostly competent if not a victim of its own attempts to do literally everything. Two different GM-type modes, a storyline mode, Universe mode, whatever the mode is where you play John Cena's career, etc.

The "relive this moment" modes always seem cumbersome because you have to complete specific things in each match to move onto the next which never really seems like a fun time. It sounds good on paper but it stops feeling like a game and starts feeling like work.

Definitely seems less buggy than the last go-round, though, and I've not seen nearly as many people complaining about the game though that could be due to not being on twitter anymore and not seeing a bunch of crazy bugs tweeted about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Cena mode is definitely a pain, especially as they seem unable to script set-piece behaviour in the game so instead of one Spear at the Chamber by Edge cashing in, it takes like 18 moves.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It is funny that the instruction/objective things in the top left are now written in Cena's thoughts perspective instead of a neutral third person "whip rvd into the corner" thing

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

El Generico posted:

You can also make it so you just have to hold the button instead of mashing it. It becomes such a better game immediately.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if the aew game isn't that good i'm going to end up getting the stupid wwf one thanks to all of the things beyond my control lately

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Drakkel posted:

I haven't played 2k23 yet but in 2k22 you could just slap all the face buttons at the same time to get the combo breakers pretty reliably

It's super hit or miss for me when I actually manage to combo break, and most of the time I am just bashing the buttons and hoping for the best. If anything this is the first time in who knows how many years I've actually felt like the matches were a bit of a challenge and had a pretty decent flow even playing on Normal difficulty. I usually play Legendary because even on the highest difficulty the past games were pretty easy to beat the CPU without much effort.

I watched the Cena Showcase via NL playing it and yeah, it's the same poo poo it's always been and like nearly every other Showcase mode, lol I'm not playing it.

I am looking forward to loving around with GM mode and maybe digging into Universe Mode but Universe has always been not quite what I'd hoped it would be to run my fantasy fed with.

Biggest complaint though is there are some great facepaint options for women that don't seem to be available for men. I hate when they do poo poo like this. Just make all the creation parts work on either wrestler type god drat it.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Cavauro posted:

if the aew game isn't that good i'm going to end up getting the stupid wwf one thanks to all of the things beyond my control lately

you can come over and play Smackdown: Shut your Mouth with me still. I will be hollywood rock

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'll be over here trying to make Nakamura in Def Jam FFNY

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

you can come over and play Smackdown: Shut your Mouth with me still. I will be hollywood rock

will take whoever is stronger between ddp or eddie

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

I was bored and bought 2k23 to play through the career mode and I can't believe how half-assed and short it is, what the hell kind of a career mode ends at loving Summerslam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
NL found an 'airport' arena creation and uh

https://twitch.tv/newlegacyinc