Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Vox Nihili posted:

The same data that supports the rising number of fentanyl deaths includes data on the other drugs found in the deceased's system by the coroner's toxicology screening. You really have to invent an entire galaxy of conspiracies to explain away this sort of data:

The individual I know who ODed had fentanyl mixed with heroin, but people can and do get exposed in a variety of ways.

You mentioned cost effectiveness, and that's just the thing. Fentanyl is insanely cheap, much cheaper per dose than actual heroin. It's not that "everyone is putting it in everything", it's that it is widely available and incredibly potent, so if a few assholes mix it into stuff they can kill a whole ton of people. If you don't have opioid tolerance you are super vulnerable to even tiny amounts. I don't have a complete economic model to demonstrate the business viability of incorporating fentanyl into any given drug-making business model but the available data suggests that it's happening for whatever reason and a whole lot of people are being killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the internet is just mid grade telepathy (indirectly sending thoughts to others via waves in the air) so it makes sense that it collects and amplifies our worst neuroses

:nsa:

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

somebody’s getting a bail out this weekend

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol drat capitalist realism really thought they could actually destroy the planet but nope, thermodynamics stays winning

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Centrist Committee posted:

somebody’s getting a bail out this weekend

russia, china :goatsecx:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

I feel like this is the final boss of us imperialism, openly gambling on the full faith and credit of the us of a

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
no one actually trusts america and doesnt want to live under the petrodollar, but if they don't then america will send in far-right paramilitary theocratic deathsquads to brutally murder everyone so everyone just kinda goes along with it

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

anime was right posted:

its actually genius to make insane right wing cranks push that talking point because itll make libs want to ban tiktok more

lol of course its a bill that expands the surveillance state

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

What region was this? New money is often good for dead areas but not like that

Northeast US

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This person is insane and most of what shes saying seems to be incorrect BUT ALSO this law still looks real bad without the fake stuff she's saying

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vox Nihili posted:

This person is insane and most of what shes saying seems to be incorrect BUT ALSO this law still looks real bad without the fake stuff she's saying

thats kinda the gist of it i think. seems like it gives the government oversight to just ban stuff that has more than a million users?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

thats kinda the gist of it i think. seems like it gives the government oversight to just ban stuff that has more than a million users?

Ban and/or punish companies with applications specifically from a handful of countries, namely China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Venezuala (but only if under Maduro lmao), and of course Cuba (because why not), but could also be expanded to other "adversarial" countries

My initial read is it's intended to squeeze Chinese and Russian tech companies out of the US market with security red tape

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Also gives all this broad enforcement power to the Secretary of Commerce, which I thought was weird and kinda telling

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Vox Nihili posted:

Also gives all this broad enforcement power to the Secretary of Commerce, which I thought was weird and kinda telling

They pretty much have jurisdiction over like ALL imports and exports tbh. Like if a company makes anything on a huge giant list of things that COULD potentially be used in weapons or munitions or “critical” technologies there are all sorts of regulations one must abide by on pain of fines and prison. See EAR/ITAR

There and in the case of the tik tok bill then actual enforcement is thru DoJ. Commerce just makes the lists / manages the process and reports non compliance to DoJ

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

They pretty much have jurisdiction over like ALL imports and exports tbh. Like if a company makes anything on a huge giant list of things that COULD potentially be used in weapons or munitions or “critical” technologies there are all sorts of regulations one must abide by on pain of fines and prison. See EAR/ITAR

There and in the case of the tik tok bill then actual enforcement is thru DoJ. Commerce just makes the lists / manages the process and reports non compliance to DoJ

I guess this is similar by analogy. But no importation/exportation of goods is actually targeted here, it's more like electronic espionage.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

Ban and/or punish companies with applications specifically from a handful of countries, namely China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Venezuala (but only if under Maduro lmao), and of course Cuba (because why not), but could also be expanded to other "adversarial" countries

My initial read is it's intended to squeeze Chinese and Russian tech companies out of the US market with security red tape

yeah but also make sure people stop sharing organizing memes

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess this is similar by analogy. But no importation/exportation of goods is actually targeted here, it's more like electronic espionage.

Yep. It's not just state surveillance but if you can spy on your economic competitors because you control the network that gives your domestic (or favored) alternatives a massive advantage, which you are also then to freely invest in and profit from on a personal basis.

Tiktok isn't a threat (except when it is) but if they can't read all the feeds with admin level access to get to the juicy goodness that is reason enough to shut it out.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Edit lol gently caress all these threads run together poo poo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

The threads got left in the backseat of someone's car and all melted together. Not your fault.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

lol drat capitalist realism really thought they could actually destroy the planet but nope, thermodynamics stays winning

maybe economists can make like the early pioneers of statistical mechanics and kill themselves in the face of the ultimate progression of entropy winning over all

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

The collapse of modern society touches all facets.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

lol

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's essentially the same scam they've been running with Huawei: China beat Qualcomm / Samsung to 5G technology, so just raise "security concerns" to have the US and as many other allies as possible refuse to use their hardware, because competing on an even field is unacceptable when you're losing

and that takes us back to China: the "Great Firewall" of the PRC is often touted as some kind of domestic social control measure - prevent Chinese citizens from reaching out into the wider world and realize how rotten their country and their government is.

what it really is, is internet protectionism.

finally, this brings us all the way back to TikTok: the US is losing social media share to ByteDance, in the same way that WeChat or Weibo would have lost out to Western social media if China had simply let the latter run unregulated a decade-and-a-half ago, and they want to tug on that leash...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The meme videos and teenage girls doing dances in pyjamas are demolishing our national industries sir, what do we do?

(slams huge red button marked "national security")

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

The big dawg gets the biggest bux.

Speaking Fees for Former Presidents Top $750,000

Bill Clinton - $750,000
Barack Obama - $400,000
George W. Bush - $175,000
Jimmy Carter - $50,000

Didn't expect Clinton to rake in more than Barrack. Was that during his wife's presidential runs?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

oh look the FT is running a big story about a report, a collaboration by the Kiel Institute for the World Economy, Havard Kennedy School, World Bank, and AidData (an institute at William & Mary sponsored by USAID and the MCC), melting down about the Belt and Road Initiative:

quote:

China grants billions in bailouts as Belt and Road Initiative falters
New study attempts to capture total rescue loans from world’s biggest bilateral creditor
FT has to hedge that China is the biggest bilateral creditor, because the world's largest creditors are the multilateral IMF and World Bank

quote:

China has significantly expanded its bailout lending as its Belt and Road Initiative blows up following a series of debt write-offs, scandal-ridden projects and allegations of corruption.
i.e. China's BRI is faltering in part because they're forgiving debts to developing nations

quote:

China’s emergence as a highly influential “lender of last resort” presents critical challenges for western-led institutions such as the IMF, which have sought to safeguard global financial stability since the end of the second world war.

“The global financial architecture is becoming less coherent, less institutionalised and less transparent,” said Brad Parks, executive director of AidData at the College of William & Mary in the US. “Beijing has created a new global system for cross-border rescue lending, but it has done so in an opaque and uncoordinated way.”
whining that China is undermining the ability of the IMF to impose the Washington Consensus

quote:

Rising global interest rates and the strong appreciation of the dollar have raised concerns about the ability of developing countries to repay their creditors. Several sovereigns have run into distress, with a lack of co-ordination among creditors blamed for prolonging some crises.

China catching up with IMF lending

quote:

However, there are big differences between IMF programmes and Chinese bailouts. One is that Chinese money is not cheap. “A typical rescue loan from the IMF carries a 2 per cent interest rate,” said the study. “The average interest rate attached to a Chinese rescue loan is 5 per cent.”
nevermind that IMF loans mature in only 10 years. don't ask what happens to debt that can't be repaid at the time of maturity. also please ignore the fact that Ghana is paying 5 to 5.5% interest on its loans to the World bank. and also naevermind that BRI loans often have 7 year grace periods with 20 year maturities, and that China offering bailouts to distressed borrowers is seen as a sign of weakness lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

DancingShade posted:

The meme videos and teenage girls doing dances in pyjamas are demolishing our national industries sir, what do we do?

(slams huge red button marked "national security")

https://twitter.com/BoyBoy_Official/status/1640310649418027009

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Finally, a good example of why the internet exists.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

The same data that supports the rising number of fentanyl deaths includes data on the other drugs found in the deceased's system by the coroner's toxicology screening. You really have to invent an entire galaxy of conspiracies to explain away this sort of data:

The individual I know who ODed had fentanyl mixed with heroin, but people can and do get exposed in a variety of ways.

You mentioned cost effectiveness, and that's just the thing. Fentanyl is insanely cheap, much cheaper per dose than actual heroin. It's not that "everyone is putting it in everything", it's that it is widely available and incredibly potent, so if a few assholes mix it into stuff they can kill a whole ton of people. If you don't have opioid tolerance you are super vulnerable to even tiny amounts. I don't have a complete economic model to demonstrate the business viability of incorporating fentanyl into any given drug-making business model but the available data suggests that it's happening for whatever reason and a whole lot of people are being killed.

3d printing is the reason fentanyl-laced pills took off instead of increased availability of fentanyl

now anyone with a 3d printer can download a mallinckrodt oxycodone 30mg pill press and make their own at home

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

This whole country was built on an Indian burial ground and is deeply, thoroughly cursed to the bone.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I have a question about the banks: if deposits are only insured for up to a quarter million, why don't the billionaires spread their money around as many banks as possible and convert the rest into gold, silver, rare art and other miscellaneous treasure? Surely they have the resources to build their own Scrooge McDuck style money bins.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Wealth and power make you dumber over time

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

some companies need large accounts for payroll

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I have a question about the banks: if deposits are only insured for up to a quarter million, why don't the billionaires spread their money around as many banks as possible and convert the rest into gold, silver, rare art and other miscellaneous treasure? Surely they have the resources to build their own Scrooge McDuck style money bins.

because they are dumb and lazy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

they didn't know that it was only insured up to a quarter million

(FWIW, as an average joe I was keenly aware of what our own FDIC coverage limits were for local banks well before the SVB crisis, but I assume our media and banks and government exert marginally more effort in spelling it out in the fine print)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/goodpoliticguy/status/1636764475415224320

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Rich people don't hold cash, they already diversify into stocks and property and things.

Its businesses which need to be buying and selling things all the time or who have gotten mega profits but would be liable for some sort of taxation if they did anything with the cash which are holding vast deposits.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

They did. There are(were) a bunch of services that do this and it was a really known risk / one of the bedrock risks of the financial deposit system.

VCs were just too stupid to / correctly bet that the limit wouldn't be applied / are bad at capitalism.

The thing I find most galling is that loving payroll company that hosed up their cash reserves is *still* around.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Buffer posted:

They did. There are(were) a bunch of services that do this and it was a really known risk / one of the bedrock risks of the financial deposit system.

VCs were just too stupid to / correctly bet that the limit wouldn't be applied / are bad at capitalism.

The thing I find most galling is that loving payroll company that hosed up their cash reserves is *still* around.

SVB had this service! lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/fteconomics/status/1640650338565861377?s=20