Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.jftc.go.jp/houdou/pressrelease/2023/mar/kiketsu_230328m.html

Japan has allowed the deal to go through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean even if they did (Wii got a COD or two at some point, right?) presumably they wouldn't come up unless they currently had a COD game, it's not like the regulators would be like "oh no if we let you merge you'll keep not-releasing on the same platform you're not-releasing on"

Don't forget that they announced that a month ago, obviously to take some pressure off the deal.

“Microsoft and Nintendo have now negotiated and signed a binding 10-year legal agreement to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo players – the same day as Xbox, with full feature and content parity – so they can experience Call of Duty just as Xbox and PlayStation gamers enjoy Call of Duty. We are committed to providing long term equal access to Call of Duty to other gaming platforms, bringing more choice to more players and more competition to the gaming market.”

Almost certainly via game streaming, but still, it is happening.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's an interesting case because Call of Duty is literally the entirety of what video games are for a lot of people- they buy a console exclusively to play it. And it's been like that since at least the PS3/360 era, two generations ago now. Having that as a console exclusive would be something Microsoft- or Sony- would be crazy NOT to pursue, by capitalist logic. (Or mercantilist)

Microsoft is almost certainly going to use it as a GamePass subscription hook instead. People'll buy the XBox because they can get CoD with a gamepass subscription and a bunch of other things too.

disposablewords posted:

Sony is also a giant monster of a consumer electronics conglomerate way beyond just gaming. Nintendo... isn't. In an argument on monopoly practices in general, Sony and Microsoft are on a whole different scale than Nintendo and encroach on a much wider range of products and services. Like comparing "total assets" values as reported on Wikipedia for 2022, Nintendo's value is a lot closer to ABK than Sony or Microsoft.

That may be so, but it's not really relevant to this case: the only antitrust concern here is in the gaming space.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 28, 2023

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's an interesting case because Call of Duty is literally the entirety of what video games are for a lot of people- they buy a console exclusively to play it. And it's been like that since at least the PS3/360 era, two generations ago now. Having that as a console exclusive would be something Microsoft- or Sony- would be crazy NOT to pursue, by capitalist logic. (Or mercantilist)

As an aside, I think it'd be interesting to read an article about the games that are "the only game" for their players. The kind of games that "non-gamers" play, and they take them very seriously, but it's pretty much the extent of their gaming forays. I know Football Manager is one of those games, and it's part of the reason they keep their game running on lower spec laptops. There's so many people who only play Football Manager that demanding they get a gaming PC would make them extremely angry non-customers who are playing on seven year old laptops. Similarly some of the "sim" games. Farm Sim has a high amount of people who are real life farmers and only extensively play that. I'd imagine there's quite a few people into flight sims who only play flight sims, and see flight-simming as their hobby and not computer games.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mrenda posted:

As an aside, I think it'd be interesting to read an article about the games that are "the only game" for their players. The kind of games that "non-gamers" play, and they take them very seriously, but it's pretty much the extent of their gaming forays. I know Football Manager is one of those games, and it's part of the reason they keep their game running on lower spec laptops. There's so many people who only play Football Manager that demanding they get a gaming PC would make them extremely angry non-customers who are playing on seven year old laptops. Similarly some of the "sim" games. Farm Sim has a high amount of people who are real life farmers and only extensively play that. I'd imagine there's quite a few people into flight sims who only play flight sims, and see flight-simming as their hobby and not computer games.

Other notables are Madden in the US and Fifa everywhere else.

The entire GaaS space is built around the idea of converting people from having games as a hobby to that particular game as a hobby.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

leper khan posted:

The entire GaaS space is built around the idea of converting people from having games as a hobby to that particular game as a hobby.

Golf.

I don't know what the market is like today, but back in the 90's I did tech support for Links, and regularly talked to people that had top of the line PCs with only Links installed on them. Folks were crazy, but not quite the MS Flight Simulator level of crazy but it was close.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1640746061760286722?s=20

legal system doing its thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The statement seems to be very vague about the direction of the payout.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The fact he has seven figures to knock together is still a problem. When is a sex pest ever safe to allow outside a prison?

The claimants should be receiving everything he ever owned and his head to boot, through a criminal court and not the joke that is civil law.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hell yeah it's lawsuit time baby! If you've been paying attention to twitch you may have heard of a little game called Dark and Darker which has done a few public betas. It's a D&D-themed Battle Royale meets Escape From Tarkhov. You may not be aware that the team was founded by former Nexon employees who left Nexon after a very similar game was cancelled. That's not an uncommon story (risk-averse giant game company thinks nascent preproduction game can't be successful, but the developers and the investors they talk to disagree) but what IS uncommon is that Nexon is suing them. They actually have been for months and haven't seen a lot of luck. So earlier in the week they issued a DMCA request, getting them taken down from steam.

Nexon's takedown with their claims:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y2PJx5am6k3quSuXWe6cw-MuOvAPn4hl/view

Ironmace's response:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkAndDarker/comments/122rz27/dmca_discord_update/

Nexon's complaint is interesting for a few reasons. Obviously there's the list of "identical file names" which ironmace said "yeah those are identical because we bought a bunch of assets for the nexon prototype and then we bought the same assets for Dark and Darker, you guys didn't pay for any artists" (including links to the assets for each individual one on the list). Big fan, of course, of nexon saying that one of D&D's devs put P3 resources and code on a personal server and then the response saying "yeah that's because you wanted us to WFH during the pandemic but refused to open the source control to the internet". But my personal thing is that the gist of Nexon's complaint seems to focus on the idea that "D&D-themed Battle Royale meets Escape From Tarkhov is an original idea, do not steal". They claim that Ironmace stole their ideas because the class names are the same in the Ironmace game. (class names being Cleric Ranger, etc.)

Anyway hopefully they get their game back up and running soon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Wii/GameCube Emulator Dolphin is coming to Steam.

quote:

Dolphin, a piece of software used for emulating GameCube and Wii games is coming to Steam this year. The company announced this via a blogpost, but did not indicate an exact release date for the emulator on Valve's platform.

You can wishlist Dolphin on Steam ahead of its release, and according to its store page, it's aiming for a Q2 2023 launch window.

"Dolphin Emulator allows these classic games to be reborn into the modern era with support for 4K displays, modern controllers, and much, much more," reads an excerpt from its Steam store page description.

Dolphin will launch for free in early access. Its developer is aiming for the emulator to leave early access by the end of 2023, but it will remain free once the full version releases. The full version will have better Steam UI support to make it easier to navigate, but the emulator will still contain "the full Dolphin experience," while in early access, according to its developer.

Keep in mind, Dolphin does not actually include games, but is simply a tool utilized to play them. The Open Source software allows players to run GameCube and Wii games they've obtained legally. Players will need to convert these games into a compatible format to run them in the Dolphin Emulator.

Older Nintendo games are getting harder to obtain and play, most recently evidenced by the recent closure of the 3DS and Wii U eShops.

I can only imagine how legally weird this is going to get.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Should note there are already emulators on steam.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kith posted:

Hasn't Nintendo C&Ded tournaments etc. for even implying people can or should use emulators?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Hasn't Nintendo C&Ded tournaments etc. for even implying people can or should use emulators?

Yes, but also as noted Steam already has emulators. Nintendo would almost certainly lose a legal battle against Valve if push came to shove, and they've never done much against much smaller orgs making emulators.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Kith posted:

There's case law supporting the legality of emulators that don't include a ripped BIOS.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MikeJF posted:

The statement seems to be very vague about the direction of the payout.

Strategic Tea posted:

The fact he has seven figures to knock together is still a problem. When is a sex pest ever safe to allow outside a prison?

The claimants should be receiving everything he ever owned and his head to boot, through a criminal court and not the joke that is civil law.

The settlement was from the accusers to avellone, ostensibly.

quote:

“That settlement includes the return of an attorney fee award previously entered in California against Avellone, as well as a “seven-figure payment” to him from Barrows and Bristol, Avellone told Kotaku in an email.

Barrows told Kotaku she could not comment on the settlement outside of what was included in the Medium post. Bristol could not immediately be reached for comment.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The settlement was from the accusers to avellone, ostensibly.

What were the figures of? I'm imagining paintings of contortionists spelling :fuckoff:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Yes but the legality of that has nothing to do with emulators (which are legal as long as you don't violate copyright in the process of obtaining ROMs) and everything to do with video game streaming -- the actual "crime" Nintendo is C&Ding them for is sharing video footage of Nintendo's games without permission.

It's extremely stupid that copyright law allows suing over that in the first place.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
You can already download dolphin among other emulators on an Xbox. The only thing anyone has reportedly gotten in trouble for is if you upload video or screenshots of running emulated games.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has Nintendo ever actually had to bring any of it's C&D suits to court? I feel like in 99% case they wouldn't win under fair use, and mostly they're sending them to people they know don't have the resources to fight them.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

There was one Smash tournament, The Big House, that wanted to keep running tournaments about six months into COVID. The only way of doing that for Melee was using Slippi, a modified Dolphin emulator that allows online Melee play with rollback.

Nintendo C&D'd the tournament when this was announced, and it became a huge thing. The Big House could have told Nintendo to stuff it, but they were also taking a sponsorship from Nintendo at the time. There was no way they were going to be able to use emulators in an online tournament while Nintendo had a close eye and money on them.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

NYTimes put out an article about what happened between Activision-Blizzard and Netease:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/29/technology/activision-netease-china-breakup.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

ratfucked by bobby again

quote:

In 2018, NetEase announced a $100 million investment in Bungie, a game developer that worked with Activision to produce Destiny, a popular game. Mr. Kotick was unhappy with the investment because Bungie was behind schedule on developing Destiny content, and he worried the investment would further distract the company from its Destiny obligations, two other people said.

That year, NetEase invested in a game development company founded by a person who had until recently been a senior Activision employee, which also angered Activision, the people said. Mr. Kotick considered ending the partnership. A 2019 deal between Activision and NetEase included restrictions that prevented NetEase from hiring former Activision employees or investing in gaming studios directed by them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Holy poo poo, rich CEOs are the pettiest crybabies, lmao.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Runa posted:

Should note there are already emulators on steam.

quiggy posted:

Yes, but also as noted Steam already has emulators. Nintendo would almost certainly lose a legal battle against Valve if push came to shove, and they've never done much against much smaller orgs making emulators.

Fair enough. This is unfortunately not my area of expertise, but knowing how Nintendo tends to be... well, Nintendo about things, I expected at least some unhappy noises about it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kith posted:

Fair enough. This is unfortunately not my area of expertise, but knowing how Nintendo tends to be... well, Nintendo about things, I expected at least some unhappy noises about it.

Retroarch already covers everything up to N64 + GBA/DS, so Nintendo's had more than enough time to throw a hissy fit if they were going to try anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Holy poo poo, rich CEOs are the pettiest crybabies, lmao.

I mean, that 100 million dollar investment spiraled into Bungie buying out the contract then getting bought by Sony so it was disastrous for Activision.

Edit: Now I guess Kotick's camp (or someone deniably carrying water for them, not sure) is also saying Netease threatened to pull strings to defeat the Microsoft/Activision merger if they didnt come to terms with Netease so layers of drama and potential criminal allegations here.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 29, 2023

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1641537951430483986?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

I’m gonna go ahead and guess that this is probably the end of E3, since all of the major devs have been doing their own announcement vids for the past few years now.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I guess you could say it was a game... over :smug:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

good! now gamescom next please.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rarity posted:

I guess you could say it was a game... over :smug:

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
All of my love for E3 comes from reading about it and seeing videos about it and dreaming about going there. I can fully admit that there's not really much need for E3 in the modern world, but I can still be a bit sad that I never personally got to go.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Vlaphor posted:

All of my love for E3 comes from reading about it and seeing videos about it and dreaming about going there. I can fully admit that there's not really much need for E3 in the modern world, but I can still be a bit sad that I never personally got to go.

I got to go there twice and it was just loud, exhausting, and you end up looking up the games that were presented on the web once you're back anyway because you can only see a fraction of the stuff while you're there

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Let’s remember it’s most enduring legacy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fysno8xdJWo

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Let’s remember it’s most enduring legacy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fysno8xdJWo

I'll always remember the early days of Sony treating E3 like any other business meeting and subjecting us to a two hour powerpoint presentation every year.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I'll always remember the early days of Sony treating E3 like any other business meeting and subjecting us to a two hour powerpoint presentation every year.

Oh you mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExaAYIKsDBI

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Vlaphor posted:

I think if you were there when the ps1 or ps2 were announced, that'd be the best time.

It sucked when I went back in like 2012. Lines everywhere. Couldn't play or see anything worthwhile unless you waited 3+ hours in lines. Most of the time, it was reserved for reporters too. People everywhere and downtown was a mess.

Usually ended up in the weird sections where traffic was light and you could check out Mama of arty cooking 4 in some random booth.

Even then, it was more informative online so felt kind of pointless waiting for stuff when you could've just checked your phone.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The Giant Bomb couch interviews were the best part about E3 and that's never happening again anyways

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

leper khan posted:

A little ironic since notoriously the whole 'dudebro' brown shooter era seemed like the opposite; the industry hyperfocusing on the people playing Call of Duty and Battlefield and trying to lure them away by making every other drat game look like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Zlodo posted:

I got to go there twice and it was just loud, exhausting, and you end up looking up the games that were presented on the web once you're back anyway because you can only see a fraction of the stuff while you're there

Once news/video began to circulate on the web, the desire to go to E3 did temper a bit to be sure. I would say the stuff from early 360 and before felt like it would've been prime E3 time.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, the Giant Bomb couch meetings were the best parts of the last 10 years of E3 and those weren't going to be happening anymore anyway, so I can live with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

If you want a E3 show floor type experience, grab a GDC expo-only day pass. It's worth experiencing once, though not worth a trip all by itself, so maybe plan a vacation around it.