Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

zoux posted:

"Change of Heart" pisses me off because the whole time Worf and Dax have been together they've been miserable, constantly fighting and disagreeing, and you can't understand why they'd stay together. Then they do that episode and Worf is chill and cool and he and Dax get along great and work well together and the actors have great chemistry and I'm like WTF have they been doing this whole time. Also they should've killed Dax is this episode instead of Dark Wizard Dukat but idk if the decision had been made when they wrote it.

I think that the Worf and Dax relationship was written as a sort of retry on what they experimented on with TNG before Riker and Troi became The Couple. It gives the writers the option to do Klingon relationship stories, gives Dax something to do, and there wasn't Marina Sirtis fighting tooth and nail to make it not stick as a plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Perhaps, but the only dynamic they had was Jadzia going "I'm chill and don't care about stuff" and Worf getting mad at her about it, it's so refreshing to see them trading little jokes and supporting each other in Change of Heart. I hate the Worf/Dax relationship but I probably wouldn't if it had been like Change of Heart the whole time. Prior to that, the only rationale given for their relationship is one or the other talking about something that happened off screen.

Also what we see of Klingon relationships isn't really what we're getting with Worf, because Worf is a try-hard. Martok getting roasted by his wife the second she sets foot on DS9 and him genially playing along was great. Even Quark's Klingon wife was a better Klingon relationship than Worf/Dax.

"I shall endeavor to die, this year if possible" lol

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

Perhaps, but the only dynamic they had was Jadzia going "I'm chill and don't care about stuff" and Worf getting mad at her about it, it's so refreshing to see them trading little jokes and supporting each other in Change of Heart. I hate the Worf/Dax relationship but I probably wouldn't if it had been like Change of Heart the whole time. Prior to that, the only rationale given for their relationship is one or the other talking about something that happened off screen.

Also what we see of Klingon relationships isn't really what we're getting with Worf, because Worf is a try-hard. Martok getting roasted by his wife the second she sets foot on DS9 and him genially playing along was great. Even Quark's Klingon wife was a better Klingon relationship than Worf/Dax.

"I shall endeavor to die, this year if possible" lol

Martok talking marriage with Sisko is one of those scenes I enjoy even if it falls partway into the typical 90's nagging wife stereotype. It manages to take the one aspect Klingons get to do - battle - and extend it semi-believably into a seemingly unrelated part of their culture, a lot like the Klingon lawyer in Rules of Engagement. If the Klingons actually were well rounded people then someone letting their partner's pet who they hate out of the house on purpose because they knew it would run off and die in the forest would be a horrible story to tell about marriage but in the context of Klingons it more like Martok was caught off guard because he was blindly in love. I figure he quietly acknowledges that if he really wanted to keep that pet targ then he should have been more alert to Sirella trying anything to get rid of it and prepared for that.

A modern show would probably still feel compelled to have Sisko bring up the human perspective even if the Klingons were still their one note culture but instead DS9 has Sisko understand and accept the METAPHOR!!! instead of being completely literal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I liked how it wasn't "my dog ran away," but was instead "my dog had THE HEART OF A WARRIOR and could not resist the CALL TO BATTLE...which is why he ran away."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

I think that the Worf and Dax relationship was written as a sort of retry on what they experimented on with TNG before Riker and Troi became The Couple. It gives the writers the option to do Klingon relationship stories, gives Dax something to do, and there wasn't Marina Sirtis fighting tooth and nail to make it not stick as a plot point.

I don't think Riker and Troi were ever really a couple on TNG, they were just a nebulous ??? relation that had some vague implications at the beginning but never actually manifested to anything during the show's runtime because the show didn't really want to explore growing long-term relationships. If you wanna kiss somebody, they better be dead or on the opposite side of the galaxy by the time the credits roll.

With the exception of O'Brien getting married like a normal guy because he was just a background character and his entire romance was offscreen and not caught up in worries about the dramatic status quo.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I'm engaged with ChatGPT to script out some backstory to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsqaRD2HI8 and it's going swimmingly. Now I know his motivation and his muse. The future is now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm going through TNG for the first time, I saw episodes here and there on cable growing up but generally I was a Star Wars kid.

My main feeling about the first two seasons was that it was actually one of the more absurd shows I think I've ever seen. And I don't mean that in a bad way, just in the sense that like, you don't typically see shows go for the "everyone is infected with a spore that makes them horny for each other." in like the first 3 episodes of the very first season. Usually you'd expect a show to find it's footing first and establish these characters before having them going on Sherlock Holmes adventures or a trip to the hedonist sex planet. I admire that they just said gently caress it and jumped in with both feet.

I was also pretty dumbstruck by the climax of the season 1 episode Conspiracy where Picard and Riker melt that alien dude and his head explodes and then the alien thing crawls out of the scraps of his ribcage. What? Did people flip out when they saw that air in 1988?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I'm going through TNG for the first time, I saw episodes here and there on cable growing up but generally I was a Star Wars kid.

My main feeling about the first two seasons was that it was actually one of the more absurd shows I think I've ever seen. And I don't mean that in a bad way, just in the sense that like, you don't typically see shows go for the "everyone is infected with a spore that makes them horny for each other." in like the first 3 episodes of the very first season. Usually you'd expect a show to find it's footing first and establish these characters before having them going on Sherlock Holmes adventures or a trip to the hedonist sex planet. I admire that they just said gently caress it and jumped in with both feet.

I was also pretty dumbstruck by the climax of the season 1 episode Conspiracy where Picard and Riker melt that alien dude and his head explodes and then the alien thing crawls out of the scraps of his ribcage. What? Did people flip out when they saw that air in 1988?

It's true the original series had the forbearance to put off the horny spore episode to the fourth episode. It's always rubbed me wrong that the first post-pilot episode of TNG was a straight rip of one of the most iconic TOS eps.

Those bug aliens were the forerunner to the Borg, they were setting them up to be a big time, recurring enemy but it got changed into the Borg somehow

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, the worm people only ever get mentioned in LD later on and also in the Star Trek MMO

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Basebf555 posted:

I was six, and hell yes I freaked out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Yea, the worm people only ever get mentioned in LD later on and also in the Star Trek MMO

they were apparently debating bringing them back for the latest season of picard but swerved for other stuff

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

They probably just got some angry letters back then.

But it sure as hell was burnt into the back of my eyeballs, drat.

Would've been cool had we had a Trek series that was all about that kind of goopiness, like Farscape with some of its more visceral aliens.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They brought them back in some DS9 novels and made them some offshoot of the Trill because...well because.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Angry_Ed posted:

They brought them back in some DS9 novels and made them some offshoot of the Trill because...well because.

Oh, so like Dark Trill?

I mean it only makes sense, how could a galaxy have TWO organisms that take a host? That's unrealistic! Of course they're related!!!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The head explosion is shocking but the hollowed-out torso is genuinely horrifying. Along with the generally creepy tone established in the whole episode. It's so drat bleak and gritty and unsettling for Trek. In a not entirely good way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

The head explosion is shocking but the hollowed-out torso is genuinely horrifying. Along with the generally creepy tone established in the whole episode. It's so drat bleak and gritty and unsettling for Trek. In a not entirely good way.

Yeah I remember an Art of Star Trek book having the concept art of the bluegills and Remmick's hollowed-out burnt husk of a corpse, and commentary saying that the episode might have been a bit too much

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

That weird, unsettling tone is precisely why I love Conspiracy so much. In a season that mostly played it safe instead of forging its own identity for the new series, Conspiracy dared to go with a premise unlike anything v that came before - or after - it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds got early renewals (5 and 3 respectively) before their next season aired.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
As they should.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OP i'd encourage you to read the memory alpha episode articles while you're doing your rewatch, they are, ah, extremely detailed.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Conspiracy_(episode)

- Writer Tracy Tormé, adapting a story by Robert Sabaroff to The Next Generation, had hoped to make "Conspiracy" a commentary on the Iran/Contra Affair, but this potentially controversial notion was nixed. A plot by Starfleet officers out to undermine the Prime Directive (already introduced six episodes before, in "Coming of Age"), turned out to be the result of an infestation of alien insects, not part of Tormé's original approach.

- The episode was critiqued by Maurice "Maury" Hurley. "I wrote this thing called 'Conspiracy' and I was intentionally trying to shake things up and do a different kind of story [....] Maury came back to me and said it's not Star Trek," Tormé remembered. "It's too dark, it's got a dark ending, it's unhappy, it's this and that, and he turned it down. Somebody overruled him, maybe it was Rick Berman, but somebody loved the script and thought it's exactly what we should be doing, but Maury and I had a very bad relationship from that point on."

-The original version of the script did not feature alien parasites; the conspiracy in question was simply a military coup within Starfleet. Gene Roddenberry vehemently opposed such an idea, since he believed that Starfleet would never stoop to such methods; there was just no way Tormé could get away with suggesting that the Federation was anything less than a perfect government. Thus, the alien angle was introduced at his insistence. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine later featured a similar plot, however, in the two-part episodes "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost".

-Indeed, the whole idea of the episode, its violence, and its unresolved ending caused quite a stir, but Robert Justman, Rick Berman, and Rob Lewin backed Tormé against the objections of Maurice Hurley, and the show stood pretty much as he had intended it, with the topical references subtly shoved under the carpet. Things did not go so well for writer Tormé in the future; he was left with the feeling that, as far as creative freedom for writers, the second half of Star Trek: The Next Generation's second season was the best part of the series as a whole.

-The ending in Tormé's original script had threat of the parasites definitively ended. Justman felt this was too anticlimactic and suggested ending the episode with the implication that the parasites were the vanguard of a much more powerful threat.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I may have posted it here before, or in another Star Trek thread somewhere, but I always thought that would have been a good foreshadowing or whatever the gently caress for a TNG movie.

At the end of that episode Data says something like they sent out a signal, or a beacon (I forget exactly) and then when it cuts to space, you can hear some kind of Morse Code sounding stuff just before the credits.

They could have had that signal going to somewhere obscure like the other side of the Beta Quadrant, since by the time the TNG movies came about, there had been enough stuff set in Gamma and Delta Quadrant.

Bug aliens come to the alpha quadrant and try to gently caress poo poo up, TNG crew come and save the day blah blah blah.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wesleywillis posted:

I may have posted it here before, or in another Star Trek thread somewhere, but I always thought that would have been a good foreshadowing or whatever the gently caress for a TNG movie.

At the end of that episode Data says something like they sent out a signal, or a beacon (I forget exactly) and then when it cuts to space, you can hear some kind of Morse Code sounding stuff just before the credits.

They could have had that signal going to somewhere obscure like the other side of the Beta Quadrant, since by the time the TNG movies came about, there had been enough stuff set in Gamma and Delta Quadrant.

Bug aliens come to the alpha quadrant and try to gently caress poo poo up, TNG crew come and save the day blah blah blah.

I'm almost certain the writers hadn't yet nailed down galactic geography into the four Greek-letter quadrants at the time this episode was made.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

wesleywillis posted:

It was foreshadowing for what eventually became the Borg. The Borg were cheaper to do than the worm aliens.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Which is funny because then on Enterprise they reference that with the Borg sending out the signal at the end that I assume is meant to be why there is a cube heading towards Federation space in 'Q, Who'.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

I'm almost certain the writers hadn't yet nailed down galactic geography into the four Greek-letter quadrants at the time this episode was made.

Yeah, I'm not saying they'd have done an episode(s) for the following season, but rather a TNG movie. By the time the TNG movies came out we'd heard of Alpha, Beta Gamma and Delta hadn't we?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying they'd have done an episode(s) for the following season, but rather a TNG movie. By the time the TNG movies came out we'd heard of Alpha, Beta Gamma and Delta hadn't we?

Ah, I thought you meant the original episode would say it had gone to the Beta quadrant, my mistake.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, so like Dark Trill?

I mean it only makes sense, how could a galaxy have TWO organisms that take a host? That's unrealistic! Of course they're related!!!

Well, nearly every humanoid in the Galaxy is related so that checks out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That weird, unsettling tone is precisely why I love Conspiracy so much. In a season that mostly played it safe instead of forging its own identity for the new series, Conspiracy dared to go with a premise unlike anything v that came before - or after - it.

It's definitely interesting, but I'm also glad they took one look at that and said "yeah let's not do that again"

I would dispute them playing it safe though, if anything I like season 1 because they're trying so many different things.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

wesleywillis posted:

They should do an episode where the bug fleet shows up, but by the time they got there their ships are all 40 year old technology and they get quickly obliterated.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Knormal posted:

They should do an episode where the bug fleet shows up, but by the time they got there their ships are all 40 year old technology and they get quickly obliterated.

The federation has been preparing by building dilithium powered cans of RAID.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The new STO ship is neat!

(Although personally I think the Kusanagi Class was an even better take on the concept.)

I like it when they create lineage versions of classes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 29, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was like That’s an Akira and then i saw that was the point

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

I was like That’s an Akira and then i saw that was the point

Yeah they'll often do older/newer version of existing ship.

Like when they made an Excelsior era version of the Shenzou from Discovery

Or the Ambassadorstitution and the Sovereistution

or the galaxiranda

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 29, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was watching "the mark of gideon" and god i hate ambassador hodin lol

interestingly the episode was co-written by stanley adams (cyrano jones), who had some rather strong opinions about overpopulation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
In HD, when they're shooting the big bug in Remmick's burned-out chest cavity, you can see blood dripping from his bones

Arivia posted:

they were apparently debating bringing them back for the latest season of picard but swerved for other stuff

They gave a bogus reason of "the bugs kill their hosts and we didn't want to commit to that" but that's bullshit because we saw Admiral Quinn alive and well at the end of the episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 29, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wesleywillis posted:

The federation has been preparing by building dilithium powered cans of RAID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCHoXoSR5I

How Wolf 359 goes down this time

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The new STO ship is neat!

(Although personally I think the Kusanagi Class was an even better take on the concept.)

I like it when they create lineage versions of classes.

That looks awesome

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

Yeah they'll often do older/newer version of existing ship.

Like when they made an Excelsior era version of the Shenzou from Discovery

Or the Ambassadorstitution and the Sovereistution

or the galaxiranda

Those constitution variants are a bit derpy, but me gusta mucho that galaxiranda! It's even got Cheyenne-style nacelles, that's great attention to detail

EDIT also it goes without saying that TOS movie aesthetic anything is automatically the GOAT

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT also it goes without saying that TOS movie aesthetic anything is automatically the GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You can't trick me into reinstalling sto with your pretty starships with big nacelles and round saucer sections, you think I'm some kind of animal?