Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This makes me wonder. What happens to these people? He couldn't afford the truck in the first place, but he still got financing for one. Is he just going to pull up with another unaffordable truck next week?

Enormous numbers of people declare bankruptcy and then go get a mortgage a year or two later, just at a higher interest rate than they would otherwise. The penalty for missing payments isn't being frozen out, it's just higher payments down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems like you could enjoy a pretty high quality of life if you don't care that it's technically ruining your finances. Maybe it all collapses in old age?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This makes me wonder. What happens to these people? He couldn't afford the truck in the first place, but he still got financing for one. Is he just going to pull up with another unaffordable truck next week?

there's a ton of bus lines and a light rail stop here, i'm sure he'll figure something out though he'll probably just get another stupid truck

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Beached Whale posted:

my neighbors large fuckoff truck just got repo'd and he was outside screaming at the tow truck driver about it.

economy seems to be going well for lower income america

:hmbol:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

how to make 950k to 970k over three months while doing nothing

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Ironically Ivy League schools have amazingly generous financial aid. Below a certain family income you get a free ride (like $70k).

Do schools still do the thing where they calculate all your financial aid based on your FAFSA? I remember some people married right before college so they could be considered as independents. Independents don't count parents' income. $60 to get the financial aid of broke teen couple.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

numerrik posted:

[doomsday economics] Five French banks raided for Cum-Cum.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I don’t understand this bet; unless it’s just a blatant attempt to pump the price of btc he might as well light a million bucks on fire.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

GIVE ME BANK DEATH

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Beached Whale posted:

my neighbors large fuckoff truck just got repo'd and he was outside screaming at the tow truck driver about it.

loving windowless dungeon

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Seems like you could enjoy a pretty high quality of life if you don't care that it's technically ruining your finances. Maybe it all collapses in old age?

It's the Drumpf way.

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Ironically Ivy League schools have amazingly generous financial aid. Below a certain family income you get a free ride (like $70k).

Do schools still do the thing where they calculate all your financial aid based on your FAFSA? I remember some people married right before college so they could be considered as independents. Independents don't count parents' income. $60 to get the financial aid of broke teen couple.

some people sign their lives away for education, others pay for it in cash

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

when's everyone's payment due?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

roffles posted:

I don’t understand this bet; unless it’s just a blatant attempt to pump the price of btc he might as well light a million bucks on fire.

yeah it's so fuckin dumb, medlock is gonna make bank if it goes through

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If I had two gold coins I'd gladly wager one on whether or not the value of gold went up to a million dollars a coin. Best outcome would be if it peaked at $999,999.99 a coin and I kept both plus the opponent's wager.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1640811093600751618

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

he's been reading this thread

edit: give me $600

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

yep, they milk the gently caress out of the legacies and other rich people who will pay anything for the prestige. ivies + highly selective equivalents like MIT and Stanford do that. it's the big private schools a tier down like NYU or BU that really gently caress people over

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

yep, they milk the gently caress out of the legacies and other rich people who will pay anything for the prestige. ivies + highly selective equivalents like MIT and Stanford do that. it's the big private schools a tier down like NYU or BU that really gently caress people over

also the elite private liberal arts colleges like Oberlin, Middlebury, Amherst etc

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

roffles posted:

crypto people are goddamn loving idiots, OP

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

wait i thought there was no crisis and everything is strong and cool

getting mixed messages here

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

well well well if it isn't the consequences of the FDIC's actions

https://twitter.com/business/status/1640813525026197541

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Oof

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

19 o'clock posted:

DementiaEncarnate
Mar 27, 2023

by Fritz the Horse
:snoop:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Only povos or rich allowed in these schools! No middle class allowed!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

well well well if it isn't the consequences of the FDIC's actions

https://twitter.com/business/status/1640813525026197541

Lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

19 o'clock posted:

he's been reading this thread

10,600 or 20,600 you mean?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Banks: The Biden Crisis Is Not Over Yet

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Algorithms for the win with health-insurance stocks.

How Cigna Saves Millions by Having Its Doctors Reject Claims Without Reading Them

quote:

The company has built a system that allows its doctors to instantly reject a claim on medical grounds without opening the patient file, leaving people with unexpected bills, according to corporate documents and interviews with former Cigna officials. Over a period of two months last year, Cigna doctors denied over 300,000 requests for payments using this method, spending an average of 1.2 seconds on each case, the documents show. The company has reported it covers or administers health care plans for 18 million people.

Before health insurers reject claims for medical reasons, company doctors must review them, according to insurance laws and regulations in many states. Medical directors are expected to examine patient records, review coverage policies and use their expertise to decide whether to approve or deny claims, regulators said. This process helps avoid unfair denials.

But the Cigna review system that blocked van Terheyden’s claim bypasses those steps. Medical directors do not see any patient records or put their medical judgment to use, said former company employees familiar with the system. Instead, a computer does the work. A Cigna algorithm flags mismatches between diagnoses and what the company considers acceptable tests and procedures for those ailments. Company doctors then sign off on the denials in batches, according to interviews with former employees who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“We literally click and submit,” one former Cigna doctor said. “It takes all of 10 seconds to do 50 at a time.”

Former Cigna doctors confirmed that the review system was used to quickly reject claims. An internal corporate spreadsheet, viewed by the news organizations, lists names of Cigna’s medical directors and the number of cases each handled in a column headlined “PxDx.” The former doctors said the figures represent total denials. Cigna did not respond to detailed questions about the numbers.

Cigna's explanation that its review system was designed to approve claims didn’t make sense to one former company executive. “They were paying all these claims before. Then they weren’t,” said Ron Howrigon, who now runs a company that helps private doctors in disputes with insurance companies. “You’re talking about a system built to deny claims.”

Cigna emphasized that its system does not prevent a patient from receiving care — it only decides when the insurer won’t pay. “Reviews occur after the service has been provided to the patient and does not result in any denials of care,” the statement said.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

doomsday/epstein crossover

https://www.ft.com/content/f5e7d581-6369-4b0b-92f4-b5fe9a55b2f2

quote:

JPMorgan’s Jamie Dimon to be deposed in Epstein lawsuits
Sworn testimony scheduled to take place behind closed doors in May as bank fights litigation

Jamie Dimon, the longtime chief executive of JPMorgan Chase, will be interviewed under oath over his bank’s decision to retain the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein as a client, said people familiar with the matter.

The sworn deposition, due to take place behind closed doors in May, is the latest development in two high-profile cases brought against the largest US bank by an alleged Epstein victim and the US Virgin Islands, where the disgraced financier had a home.

The lawsuits claim JPMorgan, which banked Epstein for 15 years from 1998 to 2013, benefited from human trafficking and ignored several internal warnings about its client’s illegal behaviour. The lender has described the claims as meritless.

The pre-trial process unearthed communications between JPMorgan employees that contained a reference to a “Dimon review” into the bank’s relationship with Epstein. The bank has denied that its CEO had any knowledge of such a review.

A person familiar with the bank’s internal probe said there was no record found of Dimon being in direct communication with Epstein or being included in any discussion over retaining him as a client.

JPMorgan declined to comment.

Lawyers for JPMorgan had previously resisted attempts to depose Dimon and had tried to limit the range of documents handed over during the pre-trial process.

Last week, Judge Jed Rakoff, who is presiding over the cases, denied in part JPMorgan’s request to dismiss the lawsuits and allowed some of the claims against the bank — as well as some against Deutsche Bank, which is being sued separately by an alleged Epstein victim — to proceed.

He later ordered JPMorgan to hand over documents containing communications involving Dimon and former general counsel Steve Cutler from before 2006, the year that Epstein was first arrested.

A provisional trial date for both cases has been set for October.

Dimon’s looming deposition comes after other senior figures at the bank, including Mary Erdoes, the head of the bank’s $4tn asset and wealth management business, were scheduled to be interviewed by plaintiffs’ lawyers as part of the lawsuits.

Former JPMorgan executive Jes Staley is also set to be deposed by his former employer’s lawyers in April, after the US bank countersued him for any potential damages. JPMorgan’s complaint claims Staley witnessed and participated in sex crimes at Epstein’s residences, and alleges he did not disclose this “despite having a fiduciary duty” to do so.

Staley has repeatedly denied any involvement in Epstein’s illegal activities.

The bank is trying to claw back more than $80mn of pay from Staley, one of the largest such attempts in US history.

Dimon was originally scheduled to be deposed in April as well, but JPMorgan’s lawyers argued for his interview to take place after Staley’s, said a person familiar with the matter.

Staley, who later became head of London-based Barclays bank, has denied any involvement in Epstein’s crimes. Earlier this month, Barclays’ board acknowledged in a notice ahead of its annual meeting in May that the recent allegations against their former chief executive were “serious and new”.

Staley left Barclays in 2021 to “contest” the results of an investigation by UK regulators that concluded he had mischaracterised his relationship with Epstein.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I don't even know why they go with the algorithm canards, just deny everything, we know you already do.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

roffles posted:

It makes sense if you assume he's a dumbass

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I don't even know why they go with the algorithm canards, just deny everything, we know you already do.

Because there are laws about that & they have to pretend to have reasons.

more:

quote:

At Cigna, Muney and his team created a list of tests and procedures approved for use with certain illnesses. The system would automatically turn down payment for a treatment that didn’t match one of the conditions on the list. Denials were then sent to medical directors, who would reject these claims with no review of the patient file.

Cigna eventually designated the list “PXDX” — corporate shorthand for procedure-to-diagnosis. The list saved money in two ways. It allowed Cigna to begin turning down claims that it had once paid. And it made it cheaper to turn down claims, because the company’s doctors never had to open a file or conduct any in-depth review. They simply denied the claims in bulk with an electronic signature.

“The PXDX stuff is not reviewed by a doc or nurse or anything like that,” Muney said.

The review system was designed to prevent claims for care that Cigna considered unneeded or even harmful to the patient, Muney said. The policy simply allowed Cigna to cheaply identify claims that it had a right to deny.

Muney said that it would be an “administrative hassle” to require company doctors to manually review each claim rejection. And it would mean hiring many more medical directors.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

expected value isn't real, i assure myself, etc etc

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Found out why biden said stuff about the banking crisis
https://twitter.com/TrumpWarRoom/status/1640793342010183692?t=iwhGknWsypX5nhUPeQZDMA&s=19

Lol biden

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
hey what are you guys doing to fix this?
watching it closely

oh ok?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

in principle, there's nothing wrong with fully automating aspects of the claims process, as there will surely be unnecessary charges popping up and one would want to discourage health care providers from ordering tests just for the kickbacks in any health care system, and speed is important in health care decisions

in practice, as the article spells out, it's clearly used to deny every aspect of individualized treatment, because we live in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

hey what are you guys doing to fix this?
watching it closely

oh ok?

Like how a watched pot never boils, a watched bank never collapses. It's just physics.