Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you had told me a year ago that the D&D movie would be received this well (and actually be really loving good), I would have laughed in your loving face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Can’t believe Hasbro gets to roll out their D&D cinematic universe now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Anyone wanting to volunteer for motm?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mordiceius posted:

If you had told me a year ago that the D&D movie would be received this well (and actually be really loving good), I would have laughed in your loving face.

This is really good news. I was one of the few that thought the first trailers actually looked and sounded really good. I had total faith - cant wait to watch.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What movies have already been Movie of the Month

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vintersorg posted:

This is really good news. I was one of the few that thought the first trailers actually looked and sounded really good. I had total faith - cant wait to watch.

I saw the initial trailers and was not sold on it, to be honest. I actually originally watched the film months ago as the company I work for did the international subtitling of the feature (I'm glad that I can finally talk about it).

I found the film to be absolutely delightful. There are a few lines that fell a little flat for me (like "I'm glad he's on our side" style quips), but it ended up being basically everything I could want from a D&D film.

One thing I actually appreciate is that they didn't just toss around elements of D&D just for the sake of checking boxes. This film feels like an adventure that a DM is taking a low level party on. There are stakes that escalate, but they're not killing beholders and dethroning gods (yet).

With most comedy action films going the way of heavy Marvel style, this film very much felt like "wow, they don't make films like this anymore." To me, this film evoked stuff like the 1999 Brendan Fraser Mummy film. A charismatic lead, an ancient evil, and an exciting adventure that our heroes fumble their way through. Also, an incredibly charming cast.

I was also impressed because, while there is a lot of CG, they actually lean heavily on practical effects and animatronics.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

What movies have already been Movie of the Month

CineD Movie of the Month https://boxd.it/jAXG0

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

TrixRabbi posted:

*Once Upon A Time Analysis*

Well done. This is maybe the best explication of the film that I've read.

TrixRabbi posted:

I gotta be honest, I kinda wish the Bruce Lee thing was left out of the movie entirely because the controversy around it just sucked up all the conversation around the movie for something that is like 3 minutes out of a nearly 3 hour long film (that and is it sexist to kill the Manson family?). The way I read that scene though sorta fits into the same thesis I laid out earlier: Whether it's Cliff's fantasy or "real" in the context of the movie, does it matter? Because the entire movie is a fantasy, that's the point of the title. What thematic weight that scene has on the rest of the film is up for debate, maybe it is just some basic character work establishing Cliff as such a skilled and dangerous fighter he can beat up Bruce Lee -- stuff just being for fun is also part of Tarantino's deal.

Like, those interviews later were kinda weird. Maybe if he hadn't been as much of a dick about Bruce Lee we could all chill a bit. I won't begrudge his family for being upset, that's perfectly legitimate, but for the rest of us who weren't even born until years after his death -- I dunno that scene did not make me think less of the real man. Oh no, god forbid Bruce Lee could be defeated in a fight? Oh no he's depicted as being cocky? It just seemed like something that blew up into a way larger debate than was really necessary, but ultimately I think it's a superfluous scene that in context doesn't hurt the movie but isn't really needed either.

Right. Tarantino is clearly an avid appreciator & historian of Hong Kong/Pan-Asian action cinema, has very particular tastes, and just doesn't seem to value Bruce Lee's body of work very much (which is honestly pretty modest relative to his cultural legacy due to his unfortunate early passing) which explains why he isn't afraid to take make him look bad or cocky in film. Oddly enough, judging from one or two of the reviews he posted to the New Beverly website and podcast appearances, QT seems to be more into some of the Bruceploitation guys. Since Tarantino's not online and seemingly disinterested in modern discourse around race and representation in film, perhaps he didn't expect the blowback from including the scene.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 28, 2023

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress yeah - thanks for the write up!! :)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

Ignore the time stamps. My short film is going to lead into the PG screening at the motor city legacy con

i am so shocked I got pulled over on my way home just thinking about how weird everything is lol

Congrats!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I would have believed it, because Game Night was p solid. Pretty much the main reason I'm interested in the movie was hearing that it's from the same directors.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Srice posted:

I would have believed it, because Game Night was p solid. Pretty much the main reason I'm interested in the movie was hearing that it's from the same directors.

Yeah I figure Daley at least has been gaming ever since Freaks and Geeks and it shows.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress yeah - thanks for the write up!! :)

I think the best thing I can say about it is that there is plenty in the film for D&D nerds to debate about for ages, but it never gets in the way of enjoyment for non D&D people.

Example - Michelle Rodriguez plays Holga, a barbarian. She's really loving good at cracking skulls. There are points where she doesn't get what the sorcerers and wizards are talking about. These moments are mostly played for laughs. D&D nerds, however, can look at that and be like "Oh yeah, of course she was confused, she's a Barbarian, she's have a low INT score."

When people catastrophically screw up things or do something incredibly cool, a D&D nerd can think "that person got a nat 1 or nat 20."

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I figure Daley at least has been gaming ever since Freaks and Geeks and it shows.

It is very obvious that Daley and Goldstein know D&D and aren't ashamed about it. At no point does the film seem ashamed of being Dungeons & Dragons. The film is a comedy but it takes its world seriously.

For me, it was just really really nice seeing a fantasy film that doesn't lean super dark and self-serious but also isn't so irreverent that it undermines the whole setting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are there any references to The Adventure Zone

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also, Regé-Jean Page is playing as a DMPC

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Are there any references to The Adventure Zone

There's no Adventure Zone/Critical Role references that I noticed. But, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it reference to the old D&D cartoon.

When they are taking part in the High Sun Games, one of the other parties look like the characters from the cartoon. Most of them die to a displacer beast.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also, Regé-Jean Page is playing as a DMPC

He is absolutely incredible. I grinned like a loving idiot every time he showed up on screen.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Way to go CP, good luck with the convention & everything!

Rental Sting posted:

Well done. This is maybe the best explication of the film that I've read.

Right. Tarantino is clearly an avid appreciator & historian of Hong Kong/Pan-Asian action cinema, has very particular tastes, and just doesn't seem to value Bruce Lee's body of work very much (which is honestly pretty modest relative to his cultural legacy due to his unfortunate early passing) which explains why he isn't afraid to take make him look bad or cocky in film. Oddly enough, judging from one or two of the reviews he posted to the New Beverly website and podcast appearances, QT seems to be more into some of the Bruceploitation guys. Since Tarantino's not online and seemingly disinterested in modern discourse around race and representation in film, perhaps he didn't expect the blowback from including the scene.

Tarantino is interested in the discourse on race in movies, just look at his filmography. He's definitely not online about it though. I figure he values Bruce Lee as much as he does Steve McQueen or whoever: he has him handily win the first round against Cliff whereas in the real life incident Gene totally owned him!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t read Tarantino’s non-fiction book but my friend sent me a whole bit about how Taxi Driver is about race and the main thing he would change is making Keitel’s character black, so that’s a thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That would be a Choice alright, yikes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Random question:

Should I do a CD feedback thread? I was thinking of a new rules thread that would also be an ongoing feedback thread. Y/n?

Random thought:
I'd like to bring aboard a co-mod. Life is getting busy for me and there's some threads that are blind spots for me. I'm open to suggestions but I think a thread for the community to nominate people/themselves is better than me just picking a co-mod.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

John Wick 4 is really excellent! Surprising physical comedy, pure entertainment

I think I'm at peace with the expanding John Wick Lore, because they don't ever stop the film to explain "ok so this is how this dumb elaborate ritual works and what it means ", they just show you the dumb elaborate ritual.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

MacheteZombie posted:

Random question:

Should I do a CD feedback thread? I was thinking of a new rules thread that would also be an ongoing feedback thread. Y/n?

Random thought:
I'd like to bring aboard a co-mod. Life is getting busy for me and there's some threads that are blind spots for me. I'm open to suggestions but I think a thread for the community to nominate people/themselves is better than me just picking a co-mod.

I think a combined rules and feedback thread similar to what's in games would work well for here.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Escobarbarian posted:

I haven’t read Tarantino’s non-fiction book but my friend sent me a whole bit about how Taxi Driver is about race and the main thing he would change is making Keitel’s character black, so that’s a thing.

From what I remember from reading that chapter is that Scorcese (and/or Schrader) originally intended for the pimp character to be black but the studio wouldn't go for it because it brings an additional racial element into an already perverse film. Once Keitel was cast, he went down to the West Side to try and find a white pimp to, uh, shadow or something for research purposes, but he couldn't find a single one and was told that such a thing did not exist in NYC. I don't have the book in front of me but Tarantino considers that sort of a cop-out concession and the least realistic aspect of the movie because it undermines the racism that Travis Bickle has shown throughout the film to that point.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 29, 2023

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I completely understand his logic there, but I do think it would be significantly more uncomfortable in the end. Plus, you already have people who misread Travis Bickle as a hero, and I think that change would create even more of a racist support for the character. I dunno, that's maybe a cop out answer, but I think it gets so much messier when you make that change.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Now I need a mockumentary of the making-of of Not-Taxi Driver where not-Harvey Keitel wanders around NYC trying to find a white pimp.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Random question:

I don’t think CD really “needs” one but they’re always a good idea for active subforums to have, so a joint rules/feedback thread sounds like a plan

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I am The Last White Pimp of New York.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My partner and I were thinking about what the most forgettable films we've ever seen are, and I think mine has to be "Solo: A Star Wars Story". I can't remember a single thing about it. There was a spaceport scene, maybe?

Now, there are likely films that I don't even remember seeing, but I could even say something about Dracula:Untold, which I saw so hammered on cheap sake I had to watch it with one eye closed.

Is there any film more Teflon?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yes but I don’t remember them

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Disco Pope posted:

My partner and I were thinking about what the most forgettable films we've ever seen are, and I think mine has to be "Solo: A Star Wars Story". I can't remember a single thing about it. There was a spaceport scene, maybe?

Now, there are likely films that I don't even remember seeing, but I could even say something about Dracula:Untold, which I saw so hammered on cheap sake I had to watch it with one eye closed.

There are a bunch of early 2000's thrillers that all blend together. I'll hav to look up that time period because I couldn't tell you much about them if I tried. Some of them star Ethan Hawke and/or Ewan McGregor.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

Ironically, the Total Recall remake

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5L_PT5-34

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Disco Pope posted:

I can remember seeing the movie Killer Elite in theaters but have no memory of any details beyond the fact that Clive Owen had a cop mustache. I couldn't even remember the name of the movie until recently when something made me think "what was that movie where Clive Owen had a cop mustache?" and I looked up his IMDB.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grendels Dad posted:

Now I need a mockumentary of the making-of of Not-Taxi Driver where not-Harvey Keitel wanders around NYC trying to find a white pimp.

Wasn’t there a documentary about the guy who played the gun salesman in Taxi Driver, because it turns out he was a real weirdo?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's inherently a hard question to answer, but as a corollary I started thinking of unmemorable Best Picture winners, and imo Nomadland must be the least memorable winner in a half century. I know they were in RVs but otherwise it was just dull as hell

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I never saw Nomadland because I don’t want to see a movie about the nobility of poverty made by the heiress to a billionaire real estate and steel fortune.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I never saw Nomadland because I don’t want to see a movie about the nobility of poverty made by the heiress to a billionaire real estate and steel fortune.

You made the right choice because it *terrible Al Pacino voice* SUCKED rear end

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I know I saw Dracula 2000. I just don't remember a thing about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The third Matrix I don't even remember what it was called or any scenes therein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

I know I saw Dracula 2000. I just don't remember a thing about it.

I remember that there was a big scene at a Virgin record store and that the revelation about Dracula being either Judas or one of the other two guys dying on a cross when Jesus was crucified.