Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

More empty promises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Beached Whale posted:

my neighbors large fuckoff truck just got repo'd and he was outside screaming at the tow truck driver about it.

economy seems to be going well for lower income america

lkmao

guy who I work with just traded in his perfectly fine 2016 truck for the exact same truck from 2023. he got $25k on the trade, and the purchase is $59k in total lmfao

I asked him what was wrong with his old truck and he said "Nothing, but it's old now" :psyduck:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

in principle, there's nothing wrong with fully automating aspects of the claims process, as there will surely be unnecessary charges popping up and one would want to discourage health care providers from ordering tests just for the kickbacks in any health care system, and speed is important in health care decisions

in practice, as the article spells out, it's clearly used to deny every aspect of individualized treatment, because we live in hell

one of the issues arising from their process is initial acceptance of treatment then after-the-fact claims rejection, leading to patients thinking treatment will be covered then left holding the considerably high bag.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

in principle, there's nothing wrong with fully automating aspects of the claims process, as there will surely be unnecessary charges popping up and one would want to discourage health care providers from ordering tests just for the kickbacks in any health care system, and speed is important in health care decisions

in practice, as the article spells out, it's clearly used to deny every aspect of individualized treatment, because we live in hell

if we really are stuck with the horrific for profit healthcare system in the US forever then an automated algorithm based handling of the claims process would actually be pretty good ...If it were actually designed to promote efficiency.

In hyper capitalist optimization terms imagine realizing that paying a worker's medical bills actually makes more money because you get 10-20 more years of work for the economy out of them if they need $200,000 to live past 45. They even get to pay for end of life care if they don't die of a preventable illness. Each year the tens of thousands dying due to lack of healthcare could be saved to contribute to premiums. After a higher upfront cost making the overall population healthier would reduce the expense of healthcare itself over decades. Your debt slaves would live for many more monthly payments.

Instead we are designing algos to turbofuck people with the sole goal of spending the least money possible in any given situation while also cutting back on the payroll cost of employing people who were turbofucking the patients less efficiently before.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

He did get fined and his law license suspended in the State of Arkansas...

rare arkansas W

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

one of the issues arising from their process is initial acceptance of treatment then after-the-fact claims rejection, leading to patients thinking treatment will be covered then left holding the considerably high bag.

This is getting pretty egregious.

my bet is they’ll fold on appeal of the claim, but that enough folks don’t appeal that they don’t care.

I would think an insurance commissioner would have major issues with this.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is getting pretty egregious.

my bet is they’ll fold on appeal of the claim, but that enough folks don’t appeal that they don’t care.

I would think an insurance commissioner would have major issues with this.

"Many state insurance commissioners come straight from the insurance companies they are charged with regulating."--Wendell Potter, former CIGNA exec turned M4A proponent

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/theapplehub/status/1640741993038090241?s=20

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

"Many state insurance commissioners come straight from the insurance companies they are charged with regulating."--Wendell Potter, former CIGNA exec turned M4A proponent

most insurance folks would have big issues with this, it’s pretty bad.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

webcams for christ posted:

well well well if it isn't the consequences of the FDIC's actions

https://twitter.com/business/status/1640813525026197541

working as intended, won't fix

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The job of an adjuster is basically to be a lawyer-lite dick about executing a contract exactly.

This is basically “disrupting “ adjusters by replacing them with an algorithm. claims side insurance folks would have issues with this especially companies that do tpa work.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

most insurance folks would have big issues with this, it’s pretty bad.

goon: that's pretty bad
the powers that be: lol that owns, thanks for the campaign donations

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

silentsnack posted:

goon: that's pretty bad
the powers that be: lol that owns, thanks for the campaign donations

there’s a lot of money that wouldn’t want things structured this way. no hourly T/E billing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Willa Rogers posted:

So anyway, you were saying that blanket/random denials were illegal and they have to provide cover because they're subject to laws :allears:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

undercutting the lovely fintech startups will hopefully put them to bed forever, good job Apple

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

So anyway, you were saying that blanket/random denials were illegal and they have to provide cover because they're subject to laws :allears:

yes, that's called a "fig leaf" and the method that's used for virtually unlimited denials is called a "loophole"

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

ha ha, Yes

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

what is the venn diagram of people who have an apple credit card and those that would use this service?

I want to say there shouldn’t be any overlap, but the more I think about it, lol lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
repoing or locking down iPhones when consumer doesnt pay the buy-now-pay-later debts

apple is honestly in a better position to become loan sharks

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Apple still cool! You pay later!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

nexous posted:

what is the venn diagram of people who have an apple credit card and those that would use this service?

I want to say there shouldn’t be any overlap, but the more I think about it, lol lmao

its even better, it works via apple pay making anybody with an iphone a qualified loan recipient.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I can't imagine that's going to make them enough money to make up for the inevitable losses that have to come with taking on the risk of consumer defaults. They have no fees, so the only money it provides is the additional users it drives to their platform, but that appeal is biased towards the lower income side. And they're starting this at the moment when consumer debt is spiraling out of control.

It would be great if it killed off the fintech leeches, but either they'd have died anyway in the crash that's going to punish Apple for doing this, or Apple is just angling to become King Leech after they're dead when it will start fees.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Akratic Method posted:

I can't imagine that's going to make them enough money to make up for the inevitable losses that have to come with taking on the risk of consumer defaults. They have no fees, so the only money it provides is the additional users it drives to their platform, but that appeal is biased towards the lower income side. And they're starting this at the moment when consumer debt is spiraling out of control.

It would be great if it killed off the fintech leeches, but either they'd have died anyway in the crash that's going to punish Apple for doing this, or Apple is just angling to become King Leech after they're dead when it will start fees.

well they can write off poors defaulting on their apple loan on taxes so maybe that’s what they’re going for is tax write offs

also instead of letting CC guys earn all that sweet 30% credit interest rates, they get to take it for themselves

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
they will eventually start charging interest this is the free trial period

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do they repossess the Mac if you don't pay? I can't imagine they do, I bet these are unsecured.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Apple pricing people out so hard they had to introduce a new way to pay

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Akratic Method posted:

they make enormous margin on every phone sold, selling more phones is always worth it to them

also they will definitely do a credit check, they won't offer interest-free loans to everyone

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Akratic Method posted:

the zero fees poo poo is for the onboarding period. once enough people are on the platform they can start squeezing

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Iphone 15 is probably going to cost what a Macbook Pro used to lmao.

Willa Rogers posted:

yes, that's called a "fig leaf" and the method that's used for virtually unlimited denials is called a "loophole"

gotta love Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Iphone 15 is probably going to cost what a Macbook Pro used to lmao.

Iphone Ultra is coming, and it will probably be $1500-$2000.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

slave to my cravings posted:

they will eventually start charging interest this is the free trial period

yeah, or some other kind of fee. the point is to get people to use apple pay and get your stuff in the system to build habits first

hell, i could see them just making their money off the CC fees depending on how this is handled.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i assume its going to print apple money whatever the scheme is

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Still, they aren't actually creating any value here really, just trying to leverage their userbase and user brand loyalty to steal from other loansharks.

Let them fight, I say.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

skooma512 posted:

thanks Obama.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Iphone Ultra is coming, and it will probably be $1500-$2000.

that's fine it sucks your dick i heard

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

actionjackson posted:

that's fine it sucks your dick i heard

so does my wife and she doesn’t cost 2000 dollars

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
her group rates are pretty good

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
isn’t the biggest revenue generator for General Electric its financial services department?

I’m sure apple sees the same opportunity.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

poemdexter posted:

isn’t the biggest revenue generator for General Electric its financial services department?

I’m sure apple sees the same opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Is Apple going to charge fees to merchants instead for enabling transactions and dealing with the payment collection? Maybe this is like a foray into the credit card market.