Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Five Year Plan posted:

Relax, nobody is saying Kirby games make you a school shooter

Sorry, didn’t make my points clear - two unrelated points.
Let’s not jump to conclusions, also kirby rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What in the gently caress is even going on

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1640791389100208128?t=6-NE4KGKRx5D5tpODvg4Dw&s=19

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe several of the jury or the lawyers are sick. IDK, it doesn't seem that suspicious.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Things won't happen this week. Not sure why this is amazing or weird to you.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

I mean, he's almost certainly not getting charged, I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about this.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey, it turns out the guy who lies about everything might have been lying about his imminent arrest. Weird.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Such a weird hill for the NYT to die on. It's damaging to their reputation and obviously causing severe morale problems. What's the motivation? Do these articles get that many more clicks, or is it actually some kind of direct animus against trans people beyond indifference? I guess this sort of thing is historically on-brand, but still.

Comparisons to the Tom Cotton editorial are spurious here because the original letter also went after the hard news coverage on studies around early childhood care for trans children. Seems like a perfectly reasonable hill for real journalists to me, that’s why a bunch of them publicly criticized the union letter.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Kalli posted:

Hey, it turns out the guy who lies about everything might have been lying about his imminent arrest. Weird.

Can't wait to hear him complain that the lying MSM made up a story about him getting arrested

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quorum posted:

Even worse is that he didn't, in fact, announce it; he just stopped doing it and didn't say anything until some reporters demanded to know what was going on, which is very on-brand for him. Unfortunately, restoration of rights to those convicted of felonies is an entirely discretionary authority of the governor, so this is the flip side of McAuliffe and Northam being able to set the bar at "do your time and (optionally) fill out this form."

Didn’t McAuliffe also have to do a significant amount of work personally for this? I feel like I remember a court insisting he could not blanket grant all ex-cons their rights at once, but not stopping him from doing thousands of individual grants

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Quorum posted:

Even worse is that he didn't, in fact, announce it; he just stopped doing it and didn't say anything until some reporters demanded to know what was going on, which is very on-brand for him. Unfortunately, restoration of rights to those convicted of felonies is an entirely discretionary authority of the governor, so this is the flip side of McAuliffe and Northam being able to set the bar at "do your time and (optionally) fill out this form."

IANAL, but drat if this doesn't feel like it should trip some arbitrary and capricious standard

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

haveblue posted:

Didn’t McAuliffe also have to do a significant amount of work personally for this? I feel like I remember a court insisting he could not blanket grant all ex-cons their rights at once, but not stopping him from doing thousands of individual grants

Yeah, it was a fairly involved project to first push the boundaries and then build the infrastructure to make it happen, and so of course Governor Venture Capital immediately rips it all down to direct staff resources instead to *checks notes* investigate school districts on suspicion of first degree critical race theory.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

CuddleCryptid posted:

I certainly hope that this is incorrect because it would be absolutely sociopathic to say that about this.

"sociopathic" is a good way to describe the situation with regards to how the US handles its mass shooting problem (and like most other problems) and is also a pretty good way to describe old testament god. :v:
I can't speak for the person who quoted that to begin with, but I do definitely feel like having a deeply sarcastic or extremely bleak joke as a response to a problem we have and will continue to do nothing about is understandable -- if, perhaps, not desirable.

shoeberto posted:

I subscribed to them for a hot minute a few years back and this is very on-brand. Their writers are offensively out-of-touch rich liberals, living in an offensively out-of-touch rich liberal bubble in NYC. I live in the metro area downstate but canceled my sub after about 2 weeks because I'd see an article that pissed me off almost daily.

I think part of it is that they're out of touch, and part of it is that there's a lot of money to be made by sucking off the rich conservative liches who were born in Scrooge-style money pits. But I also think that there's a certain type of fame that people aspire to where they get a rise out of supporting the obviously bad thing. Like the teenaged "libertarian" who goes out of their way to say egregious poo poo in order to be relevant because nobody can stand them, and then you find out that the ironic nazi poo poo is just, nazi poo poo after they shoot up a school? I feel like that guy (minus the shooting, probably) is the editorial staff that chooses the op-eds.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Comparisons to the Tom Cotton editorial are spurious here because the original letter also went after the hard news coverage on studies around early childhood care for trans children. Seems like a perfectly reasonable hill for real journalists to me, that’s why a bunch of them publicly criticized the union letter.

You want to go into this some more?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

haveblue posted:

Yeah the Republicans sued him, saying it had to be done on an individual basis, and the court agreed. So T-Mac said OK gently caress you, and signed off on like 13,000 cases one-by-one.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

What is it you are saying here? Are you defending the anti-trans NYT management stance?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1640792440541007875?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would appreciate it if they would just say that they don't care, like that one TN GOP legislator did yesterday

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would appreciate it if they would just say that they don't care, like that one TN GOP legislator did yesterday

That makes some of their voters get a sad, which must be avoided at all costs.

If they just pretend it will be fine.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
At this point someone will literally need to bring a corpse from one of the shootings, dump it on Congress's floor, and just stare at the legislators.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
they already dropped a corpse in congress and nothing changed, though i hear the perpetrator might maybe possible face judgement eventually :v:

this is a jan 6 joke. :suicide:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kammat posted:

At this point someone will literally need to bring a corpse from one of the shootings, dump it on Congress's floor, and just stare at the legislators.

They'd step right over the body and scoff at it as they went.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I don’t see what could possibly move the needle on gun control at this point. A classroom full of dead kids at Sandy Hook did nothing, members of congress being shot has done nothing. Moloch demands sacrifices and no effort will be mustered to prevent them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

borkencode posted:

I don’t see what could possibly move the needle on gun control at this point. A classroom full of dead kids at Sandy Hook did nothing, members of congress being shot has done nothing. Moloch demands sacrifices and no effort will be mustered to prevent them.

Yes, this is indeed the line that the gun lobby promotes. Thanks for the futility rhetoric. Great contribution, A+.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

borkencode posted:

I used to think one Sandy Hook a day every day for three months would get people to do something, but no, it would become background noise by day 4.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I know it's really horrific for the families, but I feel like there really needs to be an Emmett Till level photo. But that is a Hurclean task for anyone.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
RWM would just declare it photoshopped or AI generated. See the false flag crisis actor bullshit around the students from.. Parkland?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Timeless Appeal posted:

I know it's really horrific for the families, but I feel like there really needs to be an Emmett Till level photo. But that is a Hurclean task for anyone.

There's plenty of them. My family in Parkland sent me a video from inside MSD. I did not make it through the whole thing, and I don't ever want to. The people who need to look at them, don't.

I honestly can't blame them for that -- I've seen a guy get shot execution-style with a pistol, and I can't say I recommend it. It's pretty hosed up. People should just take it on faith that guns do some really hosed up poo poo.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 29, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well you also get people insisting that any kind of coverage and exposure to what’s happening just encourages more people to do it. That reporting on it like it’s background noise is the best thing we can do.

Personally I think making voters look dead kids in the eyes when this happens might start to have an impact.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 29, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's worth emphasizing that gun control is generally popular- the issue is the distribution of Republican voters on the subject. What's happening now, and has been happening the last couple years, is an attempt by industry and its proxies at a counterpunch narrative that will link the issue to Republican wedge messaging on trans individuals and "wokeness" generally.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm not going to link anything of the sort because I don't want to ever deal with it, but there are definitely extant photographs of what an assault rifle and a child look like when you combine them. It's not a matter of people not knowing or understanding, it's a matter of the country not caring enough to change something to stop it.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Personally I think making voters look dead kids in the eyes when this happens might start to have an impact.

It would have an impact; many people would develop PTSD and many more would feel sick or disturbed for a long, long time after being exposed to it. What it would not do, however, is make people care about the issues. Seeing the impact of a trauma is not enough to motivate people to work toward preventing it from happening again. It's more likely to get people to disengage from the sources that showed it to them in the first place because they don't want to be sickened, despaired, disgusted by it again.

The studies show we shouldn't report on the how and why of the killer, because that literally does cause it to happen more.

The problem, ultimately, is that we don't have cultural will to work towards preventing anything until it directly effects us or people we know. That's why AIDS activism took so long to take hold. People were watching gay men waste away and die horribly over a period of years and nothing happened. For years. The same sort of thing happens with every systemic problem. Watching people be brutalized makes something a talking point - it doesn't make people care.

e2a: see also: covid and disabled people still existing and safety protocols regarding that situation being not only ignored, but dismissed as laughable.
e2a2 son of edit: that's actually probably a better point to express what I mean. It is absolutely trivial to wear a mask to protect your own family from you spreading a deadly disabling disease to them, and we can't even culturally make that happen. Giving up your gun to protect someone else's kid is orders of magnitude beyond us.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 29, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, this is indeed the line that the gun lobby promotes. Thanks for the futility rhetoric. Great contribution, A+.

Feel free to offer any reason that people shouldn't think that our politicians have failed to address this issue for literally decades.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

Feel free to offer any reason that people shouldn't think that our politicians have failed to address this issue for literally decades.

I'm not sure there's ever been a majority in the house and senate at the same time supporting something that would count as "addressing the issue". Obviously that doesn't let the pro gun politicians off the hook, but if you had said "pro gun politicians are doing nothing about school shootings" I don't think anyone would object.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s a well-established principle that republicans only care about something when they have a strong personal connection to it, and, well, a lot of them have children in school

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fister Roboto posted:

What exactly do you mean here? What level of government do you mean by "our politicians" (i.e. local/state/federal)? What does "failing to address this [gun control] issue" mean to you?

We've seen politicians at every level of government pass gun control legislature in the last ~30 years, so that's why I'm confused on what you're asking.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm asking DV to provide people with some reason to feel hopeful rather than scolding them for feeling hopeless.

e: Like I said, mass shootings have been a major problem for 25 years. The majority of the population support gun control, but somehow this has not translated to meaningful legislation. You can't lay the blame entirely on the Republicans, because the Democrats have had opportunities in the past but have squandered them.

I'm not saying that people should feel hopeless, to be clear. But I don't think it's very helpful to make sarcastic comments about spreading "futility rhetoric".

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 29, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I don't know how one thinks for long on the gun issue without just sort of fizzling out. Sure we should be informed and active, but solving guns/shootings in the US (from my personal interactions, and certainly a climate crisis perspective) is an issue daunting enough that is becomes eclipsed by bigger problems that we all know we need to fix.

I also don't think those issues (money and two party political incentives for instance) are likely to be fixed, at least not because of anything directly related to random gun violence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Everybody already agrees that school mass shootings are bad. The disagreement isn't on "should we prevent school shootings", it's on "how do we prevent school shootings". Gruesome photos of dead kids are unlikely to have an impact on that conversation.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

Everybody already agrees that school mass shootings are bad. The disagreement isn't on "should we prevent school shootings", it's on "how do we prevent school shootings". Gruesome photos of dead kids are unlikely to have an impact on that conversation.
It would be nice if that were true, really it would. On the other hand:

https://twitter.com/brenonade/status/1640512268927418368

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Honestly, while I agree that publishing a gruesome photo on the cover of the New York Times is unlikely to make a real difference, it's something we haven't tried yet. The problem is so dire that I think it's perfectly reasonable to argue that we should try anything that might move the needle. That said, and currently I don't think we should, a decade ago I'd have been absolutely certain that we should not and two decades ago I'd have been equally certain that we should. Now, I'm just much less certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

haveblue posted:

It’s a well-established principle that republicans only care about something when they have a strong personal connection to it, and, well, a lot of them have children in school

They don't care about them.