Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
With the amount of Battletech overlap among GiP - I think its been mentioned a few times in the Lancer thread and maybe before here, I can't be bothered to check.

Olive is making a FF Tactics style pixel art turn based strategy based on the Lancer TTRPG (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865179). Because Lancer is made by cool people and not Wizards of the Coast, the derivative work licence means that this is explicitly something you're allowed to do with the Lancer IP. And its endorsed by the creators, who include the guy who makes Kill Six Billion Demons, which is very good (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508). For those unfamiliar with Lancer, imagine Battletech, but if the robots took LSD, more gay, and explicitly confronting the themes instead of being all larper window dressing. Be Gay do Luxury Space Communism is practically one of the main factions modus.

This all got kicked off after a simple Gadot experiment turned into a fun free demo got put on itch https://wick.itch.io/lancer-tactics

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1640053367710810113?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arrath posted:

Red Alert 2 might be my favorite but I have a huge soft spot for TS too.

Playing Tiberium Sun at 5am over dial up before school is a pure nostalgia memory for me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

With the amount of Battletech overlap among GiP - I think its been mentioned a few times in the Lancer thread and maybe before here, I can't be bothered to check.

Olive is making a FF Tactics style pixel art turn based strategy based on the Lancer TTRPG (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865179). Because Lancer is made by cool people and not Wizards of the Coast, the derivative work licence means that this is explicitly something you're allowed to do with the Lancer IP. And its endorsed by the creators, who include the guy who makes Kill Six Billion Demons, which is very good (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508). For those unfamiliar with Lancer, imagine Battletech, but if the robots took LSD, more gay, and explicitly confronting the themes instead of being all larper window dressing. Be Gay do Luxury Space Communism is practically one of the main factions modus.

This all got kicked off after a simple Gadot experiment turned into a fun free demo got put on itch https://wick.itch.io/lancer-tactics

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1640053367710810113?s=20

Also this is what happens if you don't follow their 3rd party license rule of "The logo must be cool."

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1611433375864131609

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Last of Us is out on PC and it has to be one of the best-looking games I can remember playing. Still just as good as the first time I played it too.

Guess you haven't had any performance issues with it? It's getting savaged in the Steam reviews for being a garbo unoptimised port, so I'm kinda thinking I can wait for some patches.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Playing Tiberium Sun at 5am over dial up before school is a pure nostalgia memory for me.

Tiberium Sun holds so many dear memories for me as well

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I didn't get to play Tiberium Sun till after I had played Red Alert 2 (The joys of growing up poor and not getting a good enough computer till late 2000), but I remember reading the little pamphlet that came with the Red Alert 1 GOTY edition in '98 or whatever, and it sounded so loving cool. Unit veterancy? Buildings that get damaged? Badass!

The soundtrack was also a lot of fun. Ditto for the other three games. I don't count RA3/C&C3 in that because well, I didn't like those nearly as much. C&C 3 was fun but not nearly as good as the others, and RA3 was way to loving goofy for my tastes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CommieGIR posted:

Tim Curry escaping TO SPACE and all the other video clips continue to be the high point of the series for me. Them transitioning from "serious face video game" clips to just rolling with it, giving no fucks and hamming it up whole hog was the perfect vibe.

Will also have Hell March in my play list forever too.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

Oh yeah I liked building a base and figuring out where the gates and laser fence would go. If they put out an updated version where you just build a base with no enemy army that would be an instant purchase.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Same. It was the first game I got into tweaking and modding and I had a lot of fun with it. Learning how to model voxels, making vehicles spawn debris like tires, turrets, barrels, even tiberium scraps on destruction that would bounce around and explode, adding new and wild units, even most of a faction but I started struggling with the ai side of it.

As the last CnC game that really allowed turtling with the walls, gates, and pavements, building up was so much fun.

RA3s goofiness was fine and the cutscenes were sublime (SPAAAAACE), but the gameplay was far too fast paced and hard counter-y for my tastes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Guess you haven't had any performance issues with it? It's getting savaged in the Steam reviews for being a garbo unoptimised port, so I'm kinda thinking I can wait for some patches.

It took nearly an hour to build its shaders on first launch which was weird, but otherwise it's been running fine. I'm averaging around 40fps on Ultra, and seriously - it's gorgeous.

The shaders issue was annoying, yeah, but I wouldn't call it garbage. Nerds gonna nerd.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im just surprised since playstation developed games ported to PC have come so far. Death Stranding's PC port was excellent, on the level of MGSV. God of War and HZD both seem to have gotten the same level of attention too, so hearing bad impressions off the bat was surprising.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The shaders issue was annoying, yeah, but I wouldn't call it garbage. Nerds gonna nerd.

People are getting a range of issues including crashes, so it’s not a “nerds gonna nerd” thing. The HZD port was way worse on release until it got fixed up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im just surprised since playstation developed games ported to PC have come so far. Death Stranding's PC port was excellent, on the level of MGSV. God of War and HZD both seem to have gotten the same level of attention too, so hearing bad impressions off the bat was surprising.

I may have rose-colored glasses due to how good I think Returnal is as a game, but it's absolutely loving beautiful on PC with medium raytracing settings and a bit of DLSS. Granted that I'm on a 3090 with a 2K monitor, but the game only rarely sputters away from a consistent 90-144 FPS. I was really surprised how much obvious graphical effort they put into the port, or maybe the PS5 version really did give them a good baseline to start from.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

death stranding was amazing when i didnt have a ps4 pro sounding like a 747 takeoff when i played

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Guy from Moore's Law is Dead had a long chat with a game dev/software engineer who got real deep in how PCs are unable to keep up with next gen consoles, right now, and in the future it will be impossible due to how PCs are built. Right now, consoles have ~16 GB of shared memory that is a pool between the GPU and CPU. The GPU and the CPU can both see everything in the memory, and can freely access and write to it without having to clone it to their own resource pool (PC's must keep a copy of the game's running code in RAM as well as in VRAM, the CPU cannot directly access the GPU's memory, and vice versa, it's what shader caching is trying to alleviate, the CPU processes all the shaders the game should use, and then neatly stores them in VRAM for quick access, it's not perfect, and there's still a sizeable performance hit due to the split in memory pools). Add in the fact that modern consoles have much much faster SSD storage than a PC. I think the PS5 can access its internal SSD at something like twice the speed of the fastest SSD you can buy for a PC.

The only way to fix those issues of separate memory pools and SSD access speeds is to solder everything to your mainboard, and then you wouldn't have a PC anymore, it would be a Macbook or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwtE2fh-y0&t=980s

2023 is going to be the year of people really needing to refresh their poo poo to keep up with PS5/XBox Series X. If you can swing it, your next CPU if you're serious about PC gaming should be a Ryzen with the 3D VCache built into the chip, to alleviate some of the stress on the memory system, since a PC is so much slower at accessing memory than a console. If you want to do 4K resolution with nice textures and all sorts of beautiful FX, you're going to need 16GB of VRAM and 32GB of system RAM as well.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 29, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Meanwhile I'm puttering along on my ryzen 5 and rx580 :toot:

I was pretty surprised about the TLOU reviews too, because I've only had good experiences with the other sony ports. It's one of my favourite games ever though, so I'm wary of gettin amped up and then shafted by bugs & crashes.

E) oh yea, are any of you playing CoH 3? I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it in here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

The GPU and the CPU can both see everything in the memory, and can freely access and write to it without having to clone it to their own resource pool (PC's must keep a copy of the game's running code in RAM as well as in VRAM, the CPU cannot directly access the GPU's memory, and vice versa, it's what shader caching is trying to alleviate, the CPU processes all the shaders the game should use, and then neatly stores them in VRAM for quick access, it's not perfect, and there's still a sizeable performance hit due to the split in memory pools). Add in the fact that modern consoles have much much faster SSD storage than a PC. I think the PS5 can access its internal SSD at something like twice the speed of the fastest SSD you can buy for a PC.

The only way to fix those issues of separate memory pools and SSD access speeds is to solder everything to your mainboard, and then you wouldn't have a PC anymore, it would be a Macbook or whatever.

This really is much less of an issue now that we have so many Pci gen 4/5 lanes available, and DDR5, and NVMe SSDs. Yes a mass market console will still have a better price/performance and watt/performance ratios, but not by much. The PC market will continue to be a generation ahead of consoles at the high end, at the 5x price point. And the mass market PCs will be so similar that it's unlikely the mass market consumers can tell the difference between high vs very high settings and frame rates.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also even PS5 Series X are essentially stuck on "medium" 4k settings these days. PC still reigns supreme so long as you get into the $800+ bracket.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Are we really doing "PC gaming is dead" again? That was a funny joke the first time around. I wonder how good it'll be when it's reheated.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Meanwhile I'm puttering along on my ryzen 5 and rx580 :toot:

I was pretty surprised about the TLOU reviews too, because I've only had good experiences with the other sony ports. It's one of my favourite games ever though, so I'm wary of gettin amped up and then shafted by bugs & crashes.

E) oh yea, are any of you playing CoH 3? I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention it in here.

FWIW they just dropped a hotfix, it doesn't look like they're gonna sleep on this

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Are we really doing "PC gaming is dead" again? That was a funny joke the first time around. I wonder how good it'll be when it's reheated.

Nah, PC gaming aint dead, but Nvidia wanting $1300 for a XX80 class GPU is pretty loving stupid.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AAA PC ports are back to performing fairly lovely and unreliably again right off the bat but that probably has something to do with the prolonged lead-in to the current console generation being hard for the studios to handle

The shader compilation stutter thing is trash, though. loving Unreal Engine.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Nah, PC gaming aint dead, but Nvidia wanting $1300 for a XX80 class GPU is pretty loving stupid.

Nobody is buying those unless you're rolling in cash because nobody needs them, nor really cares. The 4080 and 4090 exist for crypto miners and clout chasers, and for what its worth they do absolutely destroy anything on console.

AAA ports perform badly because of lovely porting and optimization. Not memory bandwidth.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If memory bandwidth were an issue it would primarily manifest as loading times or UE3/Gears of War 1/Mass Effect 1 style texture pop in/streaming issues.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arrath posted:

If memory bandwidth were an issue it would primarily manifest as loading times or UE3/Gears of War 1/Mass Effect 1 style texture pop in/streaming issues.

It did in forsworn, swinging the camera caused noticeable stutter as the GPU was unable to load the viewport quickly enough to avoid hitching.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So Hell Let Loose, which is already a great game, just published their roadmap.

It includes Danzig 1939 and Winter War 1939. Finnish and Polish Forces incoming.
And British troops!

Not only is it cool because it is going towards early war with shittier tanks and equipment, but adding Finland means another Axis country to fight against Soviets, so that Axis isn't always Germans. I'm really stoked for the update, and the roadmap is here:

Here's Muhlump, myself, and Valtonen just dunking on the enemy from top of the Erpeler Ley Plateau, overlooking Remagen Bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwRa5V16gZg

Enemy teams spawns a Jumbo sherman to get through. It does not work.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Vahakyla posted:

So Hell Let Loose, which is already a great game, just published their roadmap.

It includes Danzig 1939 and Winter War 1939. Finnish and Polish Forces incoming.
And British troops!

Not only is it cool because it is going towards early war with shittier tanks and equipment, but adding Finland means another Axis country to fight against Soviets, so that Axis isn't always Germans. I'm really stoked for the update, and the roadmap is here:

Here's Muhlump, myself, and Valtonen just dunking on the enemy from top of the Erpeler Ley Plateau, overlooking Remagen Bridge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwRa5V16gZg

Enemy teams spawns a Jumbo sherman to get through. It does not work.

That looks neat and fun as hell

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That looks neat and fun as hell

https://youtu.be/UyZoTCH45Fc

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I really need to get back into that game. Even just playing solo as a rifleman was a ton of fun.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

found some patch notes

lmfao

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i was playing terra invicta which is fun if you like grand strat

anyway i decided to target china first and once i had that under my sway i decided to become the Red Menace

Russia declared war on Ukraine and while their armies were all tied up over there i invaded through Vladivostok
my campaign was very successful up until i hit the Baikonur Cosmodrome, at which point Russia nuked the gently caress out of all my armies

we declared peace immediately after

i feel this is a pretty realistic representation of how such a war would actually go irl

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i was playing terra invicta which is fun if you like grand strat

anyway i decided to target china first and once i had that under my sway i decided to become the Red Menace

Russia declared war on Ukraine and while their armies were all tied up over there i invaded through Vladivostok
my campaign was very successful up until i hit the Baikonur Cosmodrome, at which point Russia nuked the gently caress out of all my armies

we declared peace immediately after

i feel this is a pretty realistic representation of how such a war would actually go irl

is there an LP on this game out or something? Cause I'd like to spectate before I buy this one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no idea

it's very slow, and largely is an exercise in making numbers go up

which appeals to a certain part of my brain, but i could understand not being massive on it, i only put in a few hours at a time

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Started playing Return of the Obra Dinn two days ago.
Man, what an amazing game, and what a hosed up ride.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheWeedNumber posted:

is there an LP on this game out or something? Cause I'd like to spectate before I buy this one.

Perun has done multiple runs and deep guides

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3SQVF41qNM35CSJqGECWNMAdKgizYiv9

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can't recommend him enough, he's really really good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Semi-random-ish question while I'm at work and all the gaming sites are blocked. I started Icarus earlier this week. Been just tooling around unlocking things, luxuriating in not repairing my upgraded stone hovel. Back when I started I chose a game mode that seems to basically be "Go here, do whatever, no time limit, have fun playing solo". I don't even really understand what the various game modes are. What are they? It seems I have to hop in my space capsule if I want to re-spec which I kinda want to do. Should I hop back in my space ship, go to the station, and try another game mode? What goes with me if I do, and what do I get to bring back, and in what different game modes? The interface is kinda crap at explaining some stuff, and this is one of them.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Open World?

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1149460/view/3396303599619852048

It is a new-ish upgrade. You used to have a limited time at each planet.
I've been following ICarus and the open world makes it look good.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That sounds about right. Guess I'll get home from dinner with the family then hop in the space ship and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just ordered a steam deck last week in preparation for my wife giving birth to our first kid in early May. Figured I’d be a bit busy to spend time sitting in my office on my PC once the kid comes, and everything I read about it made it sound like it has a great power/dollar ratio. It arrived Friday, and everything said about it is true. It’s such a great piece of hardware. Played a bit Dredge (great game) and Vampire Survivors, which I played a little before but never got into until I could just sit and play on the couch.

And as life works out, the wife went into labor four weeks early, less than an hour after I placed the order for the SD. It’s been a fun couple of days hanging on the couch with my (very) little dude and playing some games.