Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Alex Bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i may have embellished in parts

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Main Paineframe posted:

dude went from having "probably a couple hundred million dollars" to "whatever scraps the bankruptcy court will see fit to leave him with after cashing out basically all his assets to pay off his creditors"
Wrong tense. Future perfect, not past. He is not turbofucked, he is potentially turbofucked. At present, he is microfucked, as edivenced by his undiminshed lifestyle and continued behavior. I DO NOT trust the American justice system to accomplish what it purports to. It does not get any benefit of the doubt. It gets credit for turbofucking Jones if and when it actually inflicts pain on him. Which it hasn't yet. And shows no signs of doing any time soon. Having skipped seemingly every opportunity he served them up to actually turbofuck him.

A judicial system capable of 'turbofucking' anyone should have jailed him for calling the judge a baby eating antichrist mid trial after being explicitly told not to. What we got instead was turbo-leniency.

rotinaj posted:

How much of this was spurred by the new york times article that was a wet blanket and made it sound like alex is already free and clear?
None. It was disheartening to check an update to this thread and see that he's still yet to see any pain and the court is having a sensible chuckle, a smirk, going 'oh you rascal you' to him blatantly trying to defraud them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Alex Jones has billions of dollars hidden offshore and in crypto and the poopoo for brains bankruptcy courts aren’t smart enough to ever find it and he will live out the rest of his long life in the lap of luxury with nary a care in the world.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

InsertPotPun posted:

i may have embellished in parts

Yeah, no way a resort daiquiri has real banana in it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

Alex Jones has billions of dollars hidden offshore and in crypto and the poopoo for brains bankruptcy courts aren’t smart enough to ever find it and he will live out the rest of his long life in the lap of luxury with nary a care in the world.

More likely he has a bunch of money, extremely poorly hidden, in a few different places that will be found pretty trivially.

There may be bits and pieces here and there that will stay hidden, but were not exactly dealing with a financial genius here. Dudes thick as rocks while thinking he's the smartest man in the world. That's not a good combination when it comes to discreetly hiding things. Particularly from people who are used to finding money stashed by others who are actually good at financial crimes and hiding money.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It seems like it’s hard for the civil legal system to turbofuck somebody who looks/acts like he might drop dead tomorrow. “This huge judgement will follow you around for the rest of your life; you have almost no hope of escaping this massive financial burden and it will feel heavier and heavier as the system slowly grinds on” works better as a punitive measure if you expect him to live to a hundred and ten and be suffering these consequences the whole time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

dr_rat posted:

More likely he has a bunch of money, extremely poorly hidden, in a few different places that will be found pretty trivially.

This is my best hope honestly. The man is incredibly stupid.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh, or the money won’t be found at all because he forgot where he hid it. He’ll be wandering around the woods behind his house with a shovel trying to remember what tree he buried the gold under.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, or the money won’t be found at all because he forgot where he hid it. He’ll be wandering around the woods behind his house with a shovel trying to remember what tree he buried the gold under.

You should try to sell him...... PIRATE RADAR!!! :dadjoke:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pirate Radar posted:

Jones burying, very shallowly, a bunch of gold in some random forest then forgetting where seems very on brand for him.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slyphic posted:

Wrong tense. Future perfect, not past. He is not turbofucked, he is potentially turbofucked. At present, he is microfucked, as edivenced by his undiminshed lifestyle and continued behavior. I DO NOT trust the American justice system to accomplish what it purports to. It does not get any benefit of the doubt. It gets credit for turbofucking Jones if and when it actually inflicts pain on him. Which it hasn't yet. And shows no signs of doing any time soon. Having skipped seemingly every opportunity he served them up to actually turbofuck him.

A judicial system capable of 'turbofucking' anyone should have jailed him for calling the judge a baby eating antichrist mid trial after being explicitly told not to. What we got instead was turbo-leniency.

None. It was disheartening to check an update to this thread and see that he's still yet to see any pain and the court is having a sensible chuckle, a smirk, going 'oh you rascal you' to him blatantly trying to defraud them.

Civil court proceedings of any real complexity generally take months, not hours. And the judges tend to be slow to make decisions or jump to conclusions, because it's important to get this stuff right, and hasty off-the-cuff snap decisions just drag things out even more in the long run.

If you really just want to see Alex Jones facing consequences, check back in...maybe a year or so? I wouldn't be shocked if the bankruptcy court stuff and the accompanying investigations of his finances stretches into summer. It'll delay things further if he appeals the judge's overturning of the punitive damages cap, and I don't see why he wouldn't. And even once all that's done with, converting all his assets to cash for the plaintiffs isn't going to be expected to happen in a day or two either.

The thing is that taking this long is not a bad thing, because there are actually important details to work out in bankruptcy court! By all accounts, he almost certainly doesn't have enough money to pay the judgements against him. It's the bankruptcy court that decides how to parcel out the money to his various creditors, who gets how much, how future payments are divided up going forward, and so on. And there's also extensive investigation of his finances, which makes the bankruptcy filing a huge own goal for him, because he probably would have been able to get away with hiding more money if he hadn't jumped straight to bankruptcy at the first whiff of losing.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Still, he seems to be able to brazenly thwart the courts will, lie constantly, and participate in behavior that is criminal all while being too stupid to do it without getting caught and the civil court sysyem is unable to either stop him or impose ant sort of consequences besides saying: "this sure looks bad"
His own lawyers call him out of control and the court act like any serious criminal action is beyond the pale. What is the point of criminal consequences for criminal behavior in a civil trial of they are not applied in this, a most extreme example?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They wanted to give Jones enough rope to hang himself, they are just caught off guard after the first few dozen miles of rope

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

reynal has a sanctions hearing on april 6th, so have 50 pages of comedy on replying to a motion for a new trial allegedly written by a 60-person law firm: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbhxyra4...ss+Pleading.pdf

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Holy crap you weren't kidding

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hell, just reading the table of contents is hilarious.

quote:

Introduction: Defendants' Motion For New Trial Is A Sloppy, Disrespectful Mess

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

reynal has a sanctions hearing on april 6th, so have 50 pages of comedy on replying to a motion for a new trial allegedly written by a 60-person law firm: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rbhxyra4...ss+Pleading.pdf

Everyone shut up and read this. Glad I’m not IK anymore because it would be impossible to choose a new title for the thread.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

seems bad to have defamed the former chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court by saying he got sanctioned when you mixed him up with Alex Jones's actual lawyer with the same last name (but different first name) and also the person you're thinking of was never sanctioned

when, you know, you're in Texas court.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think a lot of the anger comes from Alex Jones pulling a stupid Crime For Idiots 101 scheme to hide his money, that any brain dead moron could see right through, and having the one person on the planet that can actually make him face any consequences for said scheme go “no it’s not a scheme :downs:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm a fan of "Defendants’ Counsel Made Frivolous Arguments Attempting to Use COVID-19 as a Retroactive Excuse for Discovery Non-Compliance" as well as sloppy disrespectful mess.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Borscht posted:

Still, he seems to be able to brazenly thwart the courts will, lie constantly, and participate in behavior that is criminal all while being too stupid to do it without getting caught and the civil court sysyem is unable to either stop him or impose ant sort of consequences besides saying: "this sure looks bad"
His own lawyers call him out of control and the court act like any serious criminal action is beyond the pale. What is the point of criminal consequences for criminal behavior in a civil trial of they are not applied in this, a most extreme example?

this isn't even close to an extreme example, and it certainly ain't criminal

people lie in civil court all the time. that's what evidence is for. and if he refuses to comply with orders to supply the evidence, well, we saw how that went for him in the Sandy Hook lawsuits. wearing down the judge's patience with dumb bullshit is very not recommended

yeah, he's loving around. that's why he keeps losing his cases, badly, with the judges ruling against his interests as hard as possible. he's loving around and he's finding out

the judge saying it's not necessarily a scheme isn't actually indicative of anything, and people need to stop melting the gently caress down every time somebody tweets about the court case

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Seriously just doing a skim of this my immediate question is "Is Andino Reynal....":

A. Just a bad lawyer.

B. Not in the right area of the profession.

C. Just plain dumb.

D. Deep in an information silo that is significantly distorting his personal and professional worldviews (see: Norm Pattis).

E. Having a substance abuse problem.

F. An combination or all of the above.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lmao I'm adapting this for use in an email

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

people lie in civil court all the time. that's what evidence is for. and if he refuses to comply with orders to supply the evidence, well, we saw how that went for him in the Sandy Hook lawsuits. wearing down the judge's patience with dumb bullshit is very not recommended

yeah, he's loving around. that's why he keeps losing his cases, badly, with the judges ruling against his interests as hard as possible. he's loving around and he's finding out

the judge saying it's not necessarily a scheme isn't actually indicative of anything, and people need to stop melting the gently caress down every time somebody tweets about the court case

IANAL but structuring and perjury are still criminal offences, correct?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Seriously I'm howling.

quote:

Defendants’ Counsel Made Frivolous Arguments Attempting to Use COVID-19 as a Retroactive Excuse for Discovery Non-Compliance.

In attacking the default judgment, Defendants’ counsel made frivolous arguments by inventing a new excuse for discovery abuse that had never been raised before. Defendants’ counsel complained in their brief that “[a]t all times during this period, the economy of the United States was severely affected by COVID-19 as was the normal functioning of businesses and this Court.” (Def. Motion, p. 6). Having now decided to use the pandemic as an excuse for discovery misconduct, Defendants’ counsel claim that “[t]he court ignored several factual basis [sic] of the discovery criticism including COVID-19 complications.” (Id.,p. 7). Yet at no time during 2020-2021 did Defendants ever claim that COVID-19 prevented them from complying with discovery orders. In fact, Defendants had already been sanctioned three times for egregious discovery abuse long before COVID-19 arose in 2020.

How does COVID-19 relate to discovery non-compliance?

Reynal: "They're- the economy is in shambles."

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

Pretty sure fraud and perjury are both literally crimes. I understand they're usually ignored. This is a bad policy with adverse consequences for our society and I want these milquetoast doormats to loving cut it out.

But I'll bite. What's an extreme example that rises to the level of criminal? What bar does his chiliness need to clear here to suffer some immediate consequences?

Main Paineframe posted:

he's loving around and he's finding out
He's being warned he'll eventually find out. He ain't found poo poo yet. Check back in a year or two.

Main Paineframe posted:

the judge saying it's not necessarily a scheme isn't actually indicative of anything
Then why did it get reported? Why even say it? I can't find a way to read this other than he's just bald faced ignoring criminal contempt for ... some reason? Again, OK, it's normal. That doesn't diminish how stupid it is.

That PDF is great, extremely quotable. It may even cause the judge to sit up slightly and sneer a bit before remembering he shouldn't actually do anything lest the other judges faint at the sight of one of their ilk breaking decorum.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Slyphic posted:

He's being warned he'll eventually find out. He ain't found poo poo yet. Check back in a year or two.
If you're angry that he hasn't suffered meaningful consequences beyond having to constantly gently caress around in bankruptcy court (which is expensive, iirc one of his lawyers recently argued that her client isn't properly paying her on time because of course he isn't), then yeah, that sucks and I don't know what to tell you. That a rich defendant can drag both criminal and civil cases out for years while people without access to capital get their lives instantly destroyed by the courts is the reality of the American legal system. Alex Jones being turbofucked is a process that will take months / years.

If you want a better grasp of the timetable, the reason the judge didn't do anything other than yell at Alex's lawyer despite him committing yet another case of fraud and perjury is that there's an enormous discovery deadline this Friday at noon. The judge isn't going to make a big deal out of him loving around with his money when in 48 hours he needs to turn over an accurate assessment of all of his finances.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If you're reading the PDF and discovering that Jones:

1. Got sanctioned multiple times;
2. Lost every argument of substance;
3. Antagonized the court and kept getting slapped by them in the form of sanctions, being ruled against them on various motions;
4. Finally got to the point of instant losing the case;
5. Kept up his antics and made such a mess of his defense that the jury said "nah gently caress him";
6. Kept getting sanctioned after the fact;
7. Is likely going to get sanctioned because this reply brief makes clear that this is so incredibly stupid it beggars belief;

and think he's "getting away" with it is pure nonsense. Apparently civil courts need to hogtie Jones to a spit and roast him over an open fire of briefs and Southwestern Reporter volumes before this thread thinks he's gotten his legal due.

By this time in the brief you can tell the lawyers drafting it were fully done with this poo poo.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

kw0134 posted:

3. Antagonized the court and kept getting slapped by them in the form of sanctions, being ruled against them on various motions;
5. Kept up his antics and made such a mess of his defense that the jury said "nah gently caress him";
7. Is likely going to get sanctioned because this reply brief makes clear that this is so incredibly stupid it beggars belief;

and think he's "getting away" with it is pure nonsense. Apparently civil courts need to hogtie Jones to a spit and roast him over an open fire of briefs and Southwestern Reporter volumes before this thread thinks he's gotten his legal due.

By this time in the brief you can tell the lawyers drafting it were fully done with this poo poo.

The current amount of "finding out" as detailed there is that Alex paid like 130k in sanctions, everything else has not yet happened. It will happen eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. It is simultaneously true that Alex is facing a ton of poo poo that will in fact gently caress him up and also that Alex's life/work hasn't substantially been effected yet. He's still living his life normally, his show is still airing normally, but that won't last forever, and it is important to keep in mind both facts

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 29, 2023

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

He also, you know, instantly lost his case on liabilities. I want people to understand that even if he gets contempt, he sits in jail for a day, because that's not what a civil court does. Even if he gets a perjury charge, that's a criminal matter that must be referred to another court and surprise, that doesn't happen instantly either! I can even predict the thread's reaction:

"wtf is this indictment nonsense why isn't he in jail yet"
"he got out on his own recognizance pending trial???"
"it'll be months before he gets sentenced???"

He has a judgment against him, as a result of him loving around. These things proceed at its own pace. There's really nothing more productive to be said about it any more.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

kw0134 posted:

There's no such thing as instant karma in the legal system. I get it, but being mad that he didn't instantly turn into a pauper is not something that happens to anyone at all. It's not going to happen for a while yet, and he gets to live it up because a far as the court's concerned it's still his money for now. I'm sorry that the court system doesn't immediately gut people like fish and sell their filleted corpses to fulfill debts, but we don't do that for even the most indigent of filers.

kw0134 posted:

you need to learn that there are things other than extremes.
NO ONE. and i'm going to repeat this so i know you ignored it at least twice: NO ONE wants "instant justice" or for jones to be whatever jerk off fantasy you create up above. you god drat quote me a person saying ay of that. any of it. "geez this is slow" is not "instant". "jones is still vacationing i tropical destinations twice a month" is NOT "throw him in a woodchipper"
learn that there are things between "ALL" and "loving NONE" or your showers are going to suck.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No one's gross enough or strong enough on this planet to hogtie Alex Jones
Maybe Sweetums

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

kw0134 posted:

Alex Jones just returned from his tropical vacation and gave himself a 10k$ bonus.
You are saying the the only way his life could get worse is if he got publicly hogtied and burned to death.

While I have no reason to doubt that you have never met a person who falls in between those extremes, you really should pay more attention to the rest of the world. Most people actually exist between those two extremes.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

VictualSquid posted:

Alex Jones just returned from his tropical vacation and gave himself a 10k$ bonus.
You are saying the the only way his life could get worse is if he got publicly hogtied and burned to death.

While I have no reason to doubt that you have never met a person who falls in between those extremes, you really should pay more attention to the rest of the world. Most people actually exist between those two extremes.
Yes, that's because he's rich. I'm sorry he's rich. But you and I will never also owe a 10 figure sum to anyone and soon enough those 10k bonuses and the vacation will be distant memories. Bankruptcy doesn't mean you instantly turn your pockets inside out and get shaken for every penny the moment you make the filing; if I filed for bankruptcy right now, I would still return to my house and drive my new car and be able to live my life as normal for a relatively long time while the creditors and the Trustee fight it out in court. It would be faster because my assets are fewer, but my life would also be largely okay for a while until the petition is fully finalized. That's were Jones is right now; that weird interstitial area where everything is pending. He can stretch it out a bit because he doesn't have a hundred mill in a bank account, it's in various properties and non-liquid assets and whatever, and those take time to get a full accounting. That's...just how it is.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'm not angry about bankruptcy being a slow and laborious process.

I'm angry about a punishment being delayed through blatant chicanery.

I want that to be perfectly clear. I'm angry about him using the bankruptcy to delay his punishment. And the court just rolling with it.

You keep assuring us it will dig minutely into every infraction and resource while at the same time brushing off the judge literally dismissing an infraction. How can you reasonably expect people to have faith in a system so two faced?

We know he's rich. That's the concern. There's a history (all of it since the beginning of humanity) of rich people getting away with things they shouldn't have.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The court isn't ignoring his chicanery (largely because it's already slapped him a bunch of times before in other bankruptcy cases) because the more immediate reckoning is coming when the court says to him "is this the final, true, statement of all your assets" and that's the money shot, the answer that determines whether we do this the easy way or the hard way. Making a rich man a poor man takes a bit more effort than a single throwaway comment in a proceeding that will last quite a bit while everything gets sorted.

Edit: to be clear, what antics Jones is up to here isn't really delaying much because the process already moves at a relatively stately pace. The court's already set a deadline, that deadline got extended once for natural reasons because you or I don't have hundreds of millions that need to be tracked down, but this date is hard set now and it's already disinclined to allow any dilatory measures.

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 29, 2023

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think another angle where people are I think rightly getting upset is that it's not impossible that when everything is done, Alex's life and show still don't really change materially.

- Free Speech Systems essentially continues operating as-is in everything but name, possibly still overpaying uneducated people with sufficiently low ethics, like a lot of them were making 2x what I'm making now.
- He continues making sales on sketchy brain boner pills.
- Alex Jones has a takehome north of 6 figures or, frankly, anything approaching 6 figures from the other side.

Even if it's a step down from what he might have been previously used to, he could still be in the top 1% of earners in the US.

It's a bit like how Jim Bakker went from a 45-year prison sentence to out on parole in 5 years and is now doing exactly the same stuff that got him arrested in the first place. He's even sold things touted as Covid cures and only got a slap on the wrist for it. He's an open criminal with considerably higher current earnings than probably anyone reading this thread.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we circle back to this hog-tie and bbq idea? I think kw0134's onto something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Xiahou Dun posted:

"You, a person who knows this topic, say this is normal. But I, a person who doesn't, thinks this is too slow. Clearly you're just biased rather than I'm misinformed."

There’s a lot to it that but at the end of the day courts are poo poo so like dude isn’t wrong.