Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Mexico is probably the only country left that America can actually win a war against but that would require a draft and a willingness of the american people to sacrifice their lives. Frankly, I can't imagine any significant portion of the population willing to do that. The youth have 0 regard for the state. It may end like Vietnam all over again.

Vietnam in that there’s a disproportionate amount of officers dying to mysterious grenade explosions in the middle of the night while they are sleeping, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

yes.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kinda wanna bookmark this post and start using quotes of it the way people use the Dril No tweet.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
stop bringing dumbass poo poo here from the cspam war threads lol, it's honestly cringe and makes you look like an imbecile

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

stop bringing dumbass poo poo here from the cspam war threads lol, it's honestly cringe and makes you look like an imbecile

Turn on your Monitor

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

yeah... crazy! this type of thing never happens in other countries

Status quo retard repeatedly and consistently lowers his standards.

Total non sequitur from the status quo retard who's incapable of recognizing that the status quo is rapidly sinking below the lithosphere.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think dumping a thousand and a half tons of toxic chemicals into the river is a very normal thing to happen immediately after tens of thousands of tons were dumped into Ohio and then set on fire.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
who cares it's not like rivers pay taxes or hire employees. gently caress rivers.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

If the French nobles had armed guards with machineguns and tanks they might have kept their heads.

They had the equivalent of it.

People always get fixated on military technology, but it’s absurd. It’s the guards themselves that matter. As social legitimacy collapses, so does their motivation. Nearly always, some unit of the military defecting to the protesters/rebels/mob is what sets the whole thing in motion.

Police though, are accustomed to using violence against their own citizens every day. Usually it’s the military defeating the police, usually pretty easily, that starts the new government or social order part of the Cool Zone.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Status quo retard repeatedly and consistently lowers his standards.

Total non sequitur from the status quo retard who's incapable of recognizing that the status quo is rapidly sinking below the lithosphere.

the only status quo here is you constantly declaring doom and disaster without any real understanding of the poo poo you're commenting on, or any context or perspective

like i said: cringe AF

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

the only status quo here is you constantly declaring doom and disaster without any real understanding of the poo poo you're commenting on, or any context or perspective

Buy the dip

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

DancingShade posted:

If the French nobles had armed guards with machineguns and tanks they might have kept their heads.

Many did.

The revolution and the terror didn't wipe out French nobility or even their aristocracy. You can still see this today if you look at some of the families still rolling around Paris in power.

The political and social upheaval had to be quelled eventually though and I think the general contours of the Directory probably aren't too dissimilar from something we could see in the US soon, say within that decade timeframe.

We're running up against a federal government that can't do even the basic things it needs to in order to keep the state going. That's probably the most serious tension our state has faced in living memory.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

dsyp

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

They had the equivalent of it.

People always get fixated on military technology, but it’s absurd. It’s the guards themselves that matter. As social legitimacy collapses, so does their motivation. Nearly always, some unit of the military defecting to the protesters/rebels/mob is what sets the whole thing in motion.

Police though, are accustomed to using violence against their own citizens every day. Usually it’s the military defeating the police, usually pretty easily, that starts the new government or social order part of the Cool Zone.

America is such a large country with such a decentralized base of recruitment that a military coup in the method you're describing is if not effectively impossible, vanishingly unlikely. At best it'd be a strike against the command centers and then "Uh?? What do we do now??" that leads to a nationwide fragmentation.

I've repeatedly and consistently said the system will pull out all the stops to make sure it doesn't collapse. You're just small-brained. In a word, stupid.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've repeatedly and consistently said the system will pull out all the stops to make sure it doesn't collapse

lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doubling down on the stupidity? You're going to create a criticality event like this.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

SKULL.GIF posted:

Doubling down on the stupidity? You're going to create a criticality event like this.

Make sure to chalk your position in the thread for dosage calcs

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

yeah... crazy! this type of thing never happens in other countries

maybe your boy pete can go do something about it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
please dont say bad words about america. :911:

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Radirot posted:

he's doing great, much to the chagrin of leftist cosplayers

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think there won't be any revolution unless a sufficiently large number of people are going hungry and can't afford substance level food. Not rent, not funko pops, not anything other than food.

Note: personal debt won't be a motivator, it needs to be widespread starvation. People won't revolt because some people took out student loans. Nobody cares about them but other students and they live in a bubble.

Edit - there is a lot of blood in that stone yet.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Mar 29, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Mexico is probably the only country left that America can actually win a war against but that would require a draft and a willingness of the american people to sacrifice their lives. Frankly, I can't imagine any significant portion of the population willing to do that. The youth have 0 regard for the state. It may end like Vietnam all over again.

lol there is no way the US can fight Mexico in a war, there would be uprisings anywhere there's a Latino population. Chuds would also go full brownshirt and people are going to have to fight them and this will spiral into an insurgency.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Radirot posted:

he's asking select companies if they're OK with accepting some minor changes to a small set of regulations as we speak

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skooma512 posted:

lol there is no way the US can fight Mexico in a war, there would be uprisings anywhere there's a Latino population. Chuds would also go full brownshirt and people are going to have to fight them and this will spiral into an insurgency.

Last two times we invaded Mexico it went fine, I'm sure number three will go swimmingly.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

if you leave the country, spend all your money and return (don't stay).. work, save up, and repeat...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

Yes but have you considered the ruling class huff their own farts in a bubble while taking lots of drugs and don't care what the populace thinks? They'll just manufacture a thin veneer of popular consent like always then go tally ho.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

:confused:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

He thinks the position of secretary of transportation is to organize train derailments.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Which....isn't wrong.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thorn is a conservative who believes he's really left of center, so anyone claiming to be further left than him must be making it up. Basic liberalism at play.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The idea that there are important political positions with real power and responsibility is kind of impossible for a liberal to wrap their brain around. Everything is ceremonial to them, an entire government full of vice presidents.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

he's done precisely jack poo poo, which I guess is sort of the point

downplaying, bullshitting, buying time for his stakeholders (corporations and lobbyists), he's pretty good at all that

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nix Panicus posted:

Thorn is a conservative who believes he's really left of center, so anyone claiming to be further left than him must be making it up. Basic liberalism at play.

Wait, someone thinks Thorn isn't right-wing?

I thought it was pretty obvious he's further right than half of GOP.

That rapsheet should really make it very obvious.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

historical points at which americans have said "enough!":

-threatened to take their slaves away

twice even

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Mola Yam posted:

historical points at which americans have said "enough!":

-threatened to take their slaves away

you forgot "being told by the british to stop brutally murdering native americans west of the appalachians"

(not that the british were humanitarians, they just wanted the cheap trades from native americans, but still lol that we made a loving country over it)

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I have never gone from knowing nothing about a poster to having a bone deep recognition that they're wearing a diaper and a helmet as fast as I have with this goon on this one page alone, goddamn

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Wait, someone thinks Thorn isn't right-wing?

I thought it was pretty obvious he's further right than half of GOP.

That rapsheet should really make it very obvious.

Thorn isn't aware they're right wing

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

skooma512 posted:

also 20% of the armed forces were hispanic as of 2019

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs7xDde5g3I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Regarde Aduck posted:

Doesn't address his main point: We can't buy their trash if we're dead and capitalism is a giant machine, you can't just kick the legs out of huge sectors of the economy and have the rest be ok

good morning, i can only assume you've recently woken up from a decades long nap. they don't need to sell us poo poo to make money anymore, we turned on the infinite money printer so number goes up forever. no pesky consumption required!