Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1641032483931037696?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Regarde Aduck posted:

you can't just kick the legs out of huge sectors of the economy and have the rest be ok

you’re going to regret this!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

19 o'clock posted:

you’re going to regret this!

well there's varying levels of 'ok'

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Harik posted:

good morning, i can only assume you've recently woken up from a decades long nap. they don't need to sell us poo poo to make money anymore, we turned on the infinite money printer so number goes up forever. no pesky consumption required!

everyone's kind of right: you can't just kick the legs out of huge sectors of the economy and have the rest be ok, and the ruling class are going to maintain stability by making the empire less complex and populous.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

but thorn said everything was fine????????

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
it is

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1641040287312097280?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Harik posted:

good morning, i can only assume you've recently woken up from a decades long nap. they don't need to sell us poo poo to make money anymore, we turned on the infinite money printer so number goes up forever. no pesky consumption required!

This is what they think but it’s not actually true. Covid proves it - they killed over a million workers but now they can’t wrap their heads around the labour shortage and the economy is destabilizing.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

This is what they think but it’s not actually true. Covid proves it - they killed over a million workers but now they can’t wrap their heads around the labour shortage and the economy is destabilizing.

automation will fix it!

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
poo poo seems pretty bad lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

well yeah, duh. the yacht builders gotta eat so their luxury toys are gonna become quite scarce when they finish cratering the economy. but the luxury goods market will be the last one to go, so they'll have hosed the rest of it far beyond any ability to recover before it even registers as an issue to them.

until then, ATH.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I assure you nothing will change unless a certain market segment can no longer order next year's Ferrari, $50k watches, fine Italian woolens or alcohol by the crate.

Fortunately they can get all of those imported if necessary so the local economy doesn't really come into it.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thats some dumbass loser from the other forum you can pretty much ignore whatever that imbecile posts

i think the us is down to like 76-75 in average life expectancy its been dropping like almost a full year since covid and everything else

HallelujahLee has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Mar 29, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

even if there was a revolt it would not be a communist revolt so. idk. try to enjoy your day :)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's funny, I've been meaning to start on The Oxford Handbook of Luxury Business, but it does seem as if luxury branding in particular has an intoxicating effect on rich people. What I mean is, consuming luxury goods seems more important to them than I would have thought, and the book argues has grown more important since 2008.

Like I said, I haven't had the chance to start it, but I wouldn't have expected so much energy to go into things that won't make them happy, they know won't make them happy etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does anyone have a link to the "forever table" posts or know what page they were on i was trying to find them for a laugh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

For whatever reason the national newspaper for PMC and above has had multiple articles on tasting menus recently, including one on the cover this weekend about how they're a "luxury worth affording" or something along those lines.

In light of food prices shooting upwards here it seems particularly tone deaf, but the thing I want to zero in on, and this might be a misconception on my part, is the urgency in which they talk about consuming luxuries. It's not like indulging yourself or even the smol bean self care thing of a few years back, it feels kind of intense.

Although that reminds me of the worst characters on the worst lib fantasy show,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u094qvRYDA0

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how was parks and rec a liberal fantasy show. the whole point of the show was making fun of liberals. Ron Swanson was the hero !

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

the cum-cum scheme

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

do not cum do not cum

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

does anyone have a link to the "forever table" posts or know what page they were on i was trying to find them for a laugh

Hadlock posted:

Buy durable goods now at 0%, pay them off in a year save 10%

We bought our "forever" $8500 dining room table and chairs, some ridiculous Amish made solid cherry thing with a bench and six chairs, at 0% for 3 years, paying I forget but less than $150/mo (10% down payment). Our 0% dining room set is part of that consumer debt

Pretty sure that same table and chair set costs $11,000 now, by the time we pay it off in three years it would cost, guessing but probably well north of $12,500

Hadlock posted:

Here is what an $8500 table looks like, so you can poo poo on me more effectively :science: took me a while to find

https://www.havertys.com/furniture/dining-tables/clifton-dining-table

The photos are awful but we got it in a slightly darker stain (since they're made to order), I think that one is in a lighter cherry, or photoshopped all to hell to show the wood grain, and ordered two more matching regular chairs and one arm chair since we use it with both leaves in (making it 9 feet long). I think it was $8500 all in, including taxes

Havertys has a bunch of tsarist style white and gold stuff at the same price point but it's ugly as gently caress

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Frosted Flake posted:

For whatever reason the national newspaper for PMC and above has had multiple articles on tasting menus recently, including one on the cover this weekend about how they're a "luxury worth affording" or something along those lines.

In light of food prices shooting upwards here it seems particularly tone deaf, but the thing I want to zero in on, and this might be a misconception on my part, is the urgency in which they talk about consuming luxuries. It's not like indulging yourself or even the smol bean self care thing of a few years back, it feels kind of intense.

lolling that they're paying for "tasting menus" bro everybody with $$$ gets the same meal, lmao. good job paying extra for something that isn't even special. the cafeteria at the dock has a "tasting menu", because each day they make one thing and you eat that or you go somewhere else.

actual chefs tastings are one-off experimental dishes they make for just your party and they don't cost a fortune if you're not an entitled rear end in a top hat. i'm a filthy poor and i've done them before because if i'm gonna spend money eating out it's gonna be something really cool, not abblepees. it also helps to have social skills and be friendly with the service industry so you get invited to do something fun like that, which i guess excludes the kind of people who'd drop a couple grand on a mediocre dinner.

Harik has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Mar 29, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

You have to find the picture of his dinnerware being paper plates.

Bonus: search username Hadlock and find posts with "IQ" in them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NUMBER

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

You have to find the picture of his dinnerware being paper plates.

Bonus: search username Hadlock and find posts with "IQ" in them.

Hadlock posted:

Conversely check out the g factor or the bell curve, there's a lot written on the topic in both directions, consensus has not changed overall, and I'm not here to try and change anyone's opinion today, I think we've gone way off track, the point I was making was that different kids have different educational needs. If you want to pick a less taboo one than IQ I'm open to discussing it using that blessed term instead.

:kstare:

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I’d rather spend that much money on a Subzero fridge and Viking range if we’re still talking kitchen stuff but eh who cares

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
it got lost in multiple re-wordings but it's not something i spent a fortune on either. it's not on the menu, it's not advertised, and the chef's cooking for you or someone else anyway so they ring it up as price+ of what they used making it. ends up being about the same price as a meal in the kind of places that would do it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this guys iq seems low

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Lol selling leftover pieces of food prep and labeling it a tasting menu.

We’ve gone from fries piled high to your next course is a broken potato chip with a side of ennui.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

iq is for nerds, u should be shooting for a high pq (posting quotient)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Swiss Minister of Finance, who helped engineer the CS/UBS Bailout/Merger and defended the necessity of paying bonuses to outgoing CS employees is calling for cuts to Social Social security to help pay for budget shortfalls. Last year, Switzerland approved the raising of retirement age of women by one year to 65 (now same as men) and declined to do any COLA for SS benefits in the face of record inflation.

https://twitter.com/tagesanzeiger/status/1640789874998386694

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

dear china,

please come help us. we forgot how to be a country. thank you.

- the dumb dumbs

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China will soon earn a trip back in time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

poemdexter posted:

I always thought the US would end up like what Russia is in my very limited view: the entire country is just hosed up and buildings falling apart and obvious corruption in every level of society but people just live with it because what else are you gonna do?

the public housing projects that the USSR put up husbanded millions of people through the collapse of the Soviet Union that would've otherwise died of poverty

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hockenheim posted:

poo poo seems pretty bad lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

HallelujahLee posted:

this guys iq seems low

hes not wrong that students tend to stay within the same level of academic peformance throughout their career regardless of interventions, which suggests that some genetic basis of intelligence (that we have yet to understand) is a deciding factor in outcomes

what he glossed over* was that these discrepancies dont exist across race. so some kids tend to be naturally dumber/smarter compared to their peers (and we currently have no way to fix this), but no races tend to be dumber/smarter than others

you kind of have to compare the research to figure this out, hence occasionally looking at lovely stuff like the bell curve. theres nothing inherently wrong with engaging with it seriously.

and like, theres nothing inherently anti-left about natural talent deciding outcomes within cohorts. there are absolutely leftist ways to accommodate this conclusion and provide fair, just education systems for all students. we cant provide these systems unless we understand how the needs of these kids actually works, and that means confronting the reality of the situation, even if the science leads to uncomfortable places. you cant just throw out science, in fact good science should be the basis of a rational communist society. you can do the science better but you cant just ignore the conclusions you dont like.

if you refuse to even consider things like intelligence scores and academic testing then youre ignoring the actual needs of kids and frankly youre not really committed to acadmic justice

*I dont see why he wouldve needed to bring this up bc they were discussing gifted student programs, not whether Asians are better at math or whatever, so idk why people are acting like hes a race scientist or something

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

hes not wrong that students tend to stay within the same level of academic peformance throughout their career regardless of interventions, which suggests that some genetic basis of intelligence (that we have yet to understand) is a deciding factor in outcomes

what he glossed over* was that these discrepancies dont exist across race. so some kids tend to be naturally dumber/smarter compared to their peers (and we currently have no way to fix this), but no races tend to be dumber/smarter than others

you kind of have to compare the research to figure this out, hence occasionally looking at lovely stuff like the bell curve. theres nothing inherently wrong with engaging with it seriously.

and like, theres nothing inherently anti-left about natural talent deciding outcomes within cohorts. there are absolutely leftist ways to accommodate this conclusion and provide fair, just education systems for all students. we cant provide these systems unless we understand how the needs of these kids actually works, and that means confronting the reality of the situation, even if the science leads to uncomfortable places. you cant just throw out science, in fact good science should be the basis of a rational communist society. you can do the science better but you cant just ignore the conclusions you dont like.

if you refuse to even consider things like intelligence scores and academic testing then youre ignoring the actual needs of kids and frankly youre not really committed to acadmic justice

*I dont see why he wouldve needed to bring this up bc they were discussing gifted student programs, not whether Asians are better at math or whatever, so idk why people are acting like hes a race scientist or something

if we're talking about practicalities, a lot of what can be changed about a person's development is determined before they turn 6. we know what the right answer is: universal young mother/parent and infant/pre-k programs. but the people in charge simply won't spend the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
new anti-WFH propaganda just dropped:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1640935791353266178