Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Going to miss being able to get dlc legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FireMrshlBill posted:

I assume devs still got their cut from the sales, so don't mind paying
that's a decent point

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

bowmore posted:

Why are ya'll buying games for a console who's shop is about to close on a console that is simple to hack? (honest question, may be a reason I haven't thought of)

Some of them were extremely cheap in the final fire sale (at least the Capcom stuff). But otherwise I kinda agree with your sentiment. By not allowing further purchases ever, they're essentially telling us to pirate games from now on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They make jokes about downloading RAM, but I just booted this Rusty game for the first time today and the first thing it did was download a whole new device I didn't even knew existed. You see, in 2014 Nontendo released the 4DS, the most innovative and immersive way of playing cheap baseball games. And you get it by downloading it! The future is loving wild!

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

They make jokes about downloading RAM, but I just booted this Rusty game for the first time today and the first thing it did was download a whole new device I didn't even knew existed. You see, in 2014 Nontendo released the 4DS, the most innovative and immersive way of playing cheap baseball games. And you get it by downloading it! The future is loving wild!

That one's good. Except it relies on haggling with Rusty on the eShop to get the real-world price of his games(DLC) down

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
any news on poketransporter working again since they broke it with the eshop closing? they made pokemon bank free like they said they would, except transporter still checks to see if you have a sub

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

flatluigi posted:

any news on poketransporter working again since they broke it with the eshop closing? they made pokemon bank free like they said they would, except transporter still checks to see if you have a sub

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
woop

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wooper

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

FireMrshlBill posted:

I assume devs still got their cut from the sales, so don't mind paying, esp since I don't plan to put CFW on my main N3DSXL, will save that for another 3DS/2DS. But ya, from now on it's obviously carts or cfw.

Same, I plan on keeping my n3dsxl as is, and I have an old orig 3ds Ill try hacking sometime. Maybe after I've exhausted everything to play on my main system then ill hack it but I probably wont care by then.

I did pick up some stuff last minute, some Art Academy dlc, Attack of the Friday Monsters, and a couple virtual console games, Super Mario Bros 2 and Demon's Crest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't download Transporter because I never had a paid Pokemon Bank sub :negative: But apparently it's only for moving 'mons from Black & White which I don't own so whatever?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

bowmore posted:

Why are ya'll buying games for a console who's shop is about to close on a console that is simple to hack? (honest question, may be a reason I haven't thought of)

Because pirating games like this is most likely illegal, and supplies money to those who’ve worked on the games, especially many of the indie developers.

By the way, 80’s OVERDRIVE is so far just a very mediocre experience, but that could get better, and it seems they’ve made a good effort. Early on, it’s easy to lose a race just by getting your car hit once. You’ll find that you’ll need to repeat races to save up money for new vehicles and upgrades. If you run out of money, you have to clean a car or two with the stylus, which is not fun at all. I think I’d rather join a free race if it existed, but that would also take longer. There are weird design choices, and a lack of any graphical particle system, but is otherwise passable. The pixel graphics are cool, and look good in 3D.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 28, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:wooper:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Good Sphere posted:

Because pirating games like this is most likely illegal, and supplies money to those who’ve worked on the games, especially many of the indie developers.
the money going to the developers is the only reason that makes sense to me (and easier access to DLC I guess)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's cool and good to support game developers. It's not like you were giving money to EA or Ubisoft by buying Pocket Card Jockey or Shantae or whatever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I had money in my eShop account that I wasn't going to get back out, might as well spend it and have fewer things that I "need" to pirate later? :shrug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

I had money in my eShop account that I wasn't going to get back out, might as well spend it and have fewer things that I "need" to pirate later? :shrug:
sensible!

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just fyi for everyone with a hacked system. The latest release of luma gives you the option to apply various color filters along with the option to boost the gamma for each screen. I punched mine up a bit and it did wonders on my 2DS xl. Really makes the colors pop.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CFox posted:

Just fyi for everyone with a hacked system. The latest release of luma gives you the option to apply various color filters along with the option to boost the gamma for each screen. I punched mine up a bit and it did wonders on my 2DS xl. Really makes the colors pop.

Oh hell yeah

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it time for a new thread title? Nintendo 3ds Chat: Piracy from here on out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

“Yo-ho-ho and a barrel of fun”

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Goons practicing piracy. DO A FILEZ TRANSFER!!!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
how is Ever Oasis btw? I enjoy and appreciate the Mana series a great deal but more in theory than in play

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

"You know, Shantae, we really are the Pirate's Curse"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
piracy owns

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

wizard2 posted:

how is Ever Oasis btw? I enjoy and appreciate the Mana series a great deal but more in theory than in play

I too am curious about this as I'm concerned it is going to be a forever game, and I just don't have time for one right now

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

I too am curious about this as I'm concerned it is going to be a forever game, and I just don't have time for one right now

I played it way back around 2018 and my recollection is that it's like a 20 to 30 hour game. Lots of charming stuff to do while building your town, but too limited to be an animal crossing or fantasy life style forever game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah Ever Oasis has a campaign and post-game, but it’s not a forever game. There’s a definitive ending and how often you play after that is up to you.

I rather enjoyed it. Wasn’t the best of games and had some annoyances, but it’s a pretty decent charming little title. Would definitely say it’s worth a play.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Good to know it's not. Still will be a long time before I get to it as I'm trying to behave and have no more than two games going at once, one long and one short, and it's been like two weeks before I've had a chance to pick up the short game again.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I played a couple hours of ever oasis and it was pretty pleasant. But I didn't get super far so I didn't see it become repetitive. The characters do the thing where they have a permanent XD on their faces and when they answer someone "yes", they bob their whole body forward

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Ever Oasis seems cute, does anyone have other recommendations for non-Nintendo games? Already got the usual Mario/Zelda/Kirby games loaded up on mine.

Also is Story of Seasons Trio of Towns the best farming sim? There’s a ton of these things to choose from.

CFox fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 29, 2023

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I loved Ever Oasis, I thought it was a good Mana stand-in before we knew it'd be having a big resurgence. It's got a goodly chunk of Protag Worship in its story though if that turns you off.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I am used to high levels of anime bullshit these days, it'd have to be something real bad to turn me off of the game. Protag worship is unsurprising and aren't the characters chibi proportions? I'd be suprised if there wasn't over emoting body language and a lot of XD face in it.

I've said it before but the only game that broke me with it's bad anime tropes was Lord of Magna. I spite finished it and wish I hadn't.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I shall hear no trash talking about the great Lord of Manga

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Saoshyant posted:

I shall hear no trash talking about the great Lord of Manga

Manga I'm all for, Magna not so much. Twas a lovely Sakura Wars clone, that one.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CFox posted:

Ever Oasis seems cute, does anyone have other recommendations for non-Nintendo games? Already got the usual Mario/Zelda/Kirby games loaded up on mine.

Also is Story of Seasons Trip of Towns the best farming sim? There’s a ton of these things to choose from.

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the clumsily named 7th Dragon III Code: VFD. I don't have a broad enough knowledge of JRPGs to give you a really apt comparison for it, but it shares some DNA with Etrian Odyssey if you're into that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

RichterIX posted:

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the clumsily named 7th Dragon III Code: VFD. I don't have a broad enough knowledge of JRPGs to give you a really apt comparison for it, but it shares some DNA with Etrian Odyssey if you're into that.

I played the demo of that on a lark and liked it, a little sad that I didn't pull the trigger on the full version (because I ran out of money, and also I have a hundred other games to play on this thing).

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah code dragon was really interesting.

Would also recommend:
Shin megami tensei 4 and apocalypse
Ace attorney trilogy, and 4/5/6 if you can't get enough
Bravely default and bravely second

And even though you said non-nintendo games I'm recommending these anyway:
Kid Icarus uprising
Pocket card Jockey
Boxboy.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Looper posted:

piracy owns

with the current cost of living rises piracy is a great option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I personally don't pirate for consoles that are currently in production or with active stores. But now the eshop is dead so I would be pirating the hell out of 3DS games if it weren't for the fact that I physically own most of the physical library and can actually say my digital backups were actually dumped from my own copies.