Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I still don't get why DISCO went with that "we built this ship in a soviet scrapyard" look.

That brown-grey with overlapping paneling is simply off-putting, especially against the clean panel lines and white+pinstripes of TOS/TNG ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT also it goes without saying that TOS movie aesthetic anything is automatically the GOAT

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Beeftweeter posted:

i was watching "the mark of gideon" and god i hate ambassador hodin lol

interestingly the episode was co-written by stanley adams (cyrano jones), who had some rather strong opinions about overpopulation

Such a weird episode, obviously hobbled by budget concerns which left them with the completely non-sequitur "Kirk trapped on an empty Enterprise" thing. (How did they even build that if their planet is so overpopulated that they're literally pressing up against the windows?! Great creepy visual but it makes no sense.) According to MemAlpha, the writer did indeed get the idea while acting in the tribble episode. The original draft (which unsurprisingly has no empty Enterprise) also includes some really weird stuff about Nurse Chapel being strapped to a bed and force-fed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

I would dispute them playing it safe though, if anything I like season 1 because they're trying so many different things.

Well, in the sense that there seemed to be a conscious decision, especially very early on, to emulate TOS. "The Naked Now" is especially egregious for the reaction shots and orchestral hits that were very TOS and very not TNG. You're right, though, that something like killing off Yar was a pretty ballsy decision for a series in its first season. It's one of few examples I can think of where a main character was killed off for (pretty much) good.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don’t think that was a conscious decision, I think that was basically just “poo poo, we’re up against the deadline, let’s just do what we already know how to do”

Doing The Naked Now was a desperation move because they were already behind schedule and needed something to shoot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Well, in the sense that there seemed to be a conscious decision, especially very early on, to emulate TOS. "The Naked Now" is especially egregious for the reaction shots and orchestral hits that were very TOS and very not TNG. You're right, though, that something like killing off Yar was a pretty ballsy decision for a series in its first season. It's one of few examples I can think of where a main character was killed off for (pretty much) good.

I mean, it wasn't planned, Denise Crosby wanted off the show

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

... was a desperation move because they were already behind schedule and needed something to shoot.

That pretty much sums 85% of the way they ended up doing the S2 and S3. According to 50YM several episodes from those season went through only cursory editing and rewriting work, because they were the only ones in the pipeline that week anywhere near the condition where they could be filmed.

And the planned ones didn't get much better treatment due to production having constant issues with the Screen Writers Guild, Gene going crazy and firing & hiring writers left and right etc. etc.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 29, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sir Lemming posted:

Such a weird episode, obviously hobbled by budget concerns which left them with the completely non-sequitur "Kirk trapped on an empty Enterprise" thing. (How did they even build that if their planet is so overpopulated that they're literally pressing up against the windows?! Great creepy visual but it makes no sense.) According to MemAlpha, the writer did indeed get the idea while acting in the tribble episode. The original draft (which unsurprisingly has no empty Enterprise) also includes some really weird stuff about Nurse Chapel being strapped to a bed and force-fed.

lol, i didn't know about chapel in the draft (or the lack of the empty enterprise clone)

it is pretty weird. the whole thing doesn't really make sense: if the goal is simply to introduce sickness into their society, then why kidnap kirk? they already stole his blood, they don't need more of it, and they certainly don't need to trap him somewhere (which as you said wouldn't make sense anyway if they have literally no space left on their planet)

the only redeeming part imo is when odona says at the end something to the effect of "wtf is wrong with you" when kirk starts hitting on her. just a mess of an episode

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Also, Gideonites have little contact with Earth but they're able to recreate the Enterprise so perfectly that Kirk doesn't notice it's a non-working model. So either the captain is a complete idiot or they have extremely good intel.

Yeah, Mark of Gideon is a mess. The concept of Kirk alone aboard the Enterprise is interesting, and I like how passive-aggressive the Gideon ambassador is, but it's not a great episode.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh cool I just ran into a neat little reference that I wouldn't have noticed had I not been watching TNG right now. In Wrath of Khan, McCoy brings Kirk a bottle of Romulan Ale and they comment that it's actually illegal and McCoy had smuggled it in or something like that.

As it happens I'd just recently watched an early season 3 episode of TNG where a Romulan defector asks if the Enterprise can synthesize some Romulan Ale and they tell him it can't because it has to have a sample to work off of. So I guess McCoy's Romulan Ale was really a pretty rare special treat due to humans and Romulans having such little contact after the war.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a running gag really since it was also pulled out again for ST:VI.

Brigadier Kerla : Captain Kirk, I thought Romulan ale was illegal.

Captain James T. Kirk : One of the advantages of being a thousand light-years from Federation Headquarters.

It's basically a Cuban cigar allegory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea sorry for bringing up this stuff that for hardcore fans is probably old hat, I'm delving into Star Trek in a real way for the first time so a lot of it is new to me. Of course I'd seen a lot of the iconic scenes and I'd seen a handful of episodes from probably every Trek series but that's not the same as methodically going through it all and experiencing the entire context.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Der Kyhe posted:

I still don't get why DISCO went with that "we built this ship in a soviet scrapyard" look.

That brown-grey with overlapping paneling is simply off-putting, especially against the clean panel lines and white+pinstripes of TOS/TNG ships.

Because that’s how the McQuarrie Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans looked.

A better question is why they felt like this design was appropriate to cannibalize for the centerpiece of their show, since Discovery has nothing to do with Planet of the Titans, and the whole reason why McQuarrie’s design looks like this was to facilitate TNG-style saucer-separation action, which the Disco doesn’t do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea sorry for bringing up this stuff that for hardcore fans is probably old hat, I'm delving into Star Trek in a real way for the first time so a lot of it is new to me. Of course I'd seen a lot of the iconic scenes and I'd seen a handful of episodes from probably every Trek series but that's not the same as methodically going through it all and experiencing the entire context.

it's fun to talk about this stuff. as someone who knew a lot about star trek but hadn't watched a lot of it in years, it's been great watching tng and going OH THAT'S WHERE THAT FIRST SHOWED UP etc. don't apologize it's cool

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Basebf555 posted:

How dare you make me engage with memorable moments from the franchise I have loved since childhood :argh:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey I heard some NOOB was asking questions about Star Trek in here :toughguy:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Yea sorry for bringing up this stuff that for hardcore fans is probably old hat, I'm delving into Star Trek in a real way for the first time so a lot of it is new to me.

Bud, we love this stuff. :glomp:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright well be careful what you wish for because I'm knocking out like 2-3 episodes of TNG a night right now.

My most recent observation was that I just reached the point where Riker gets a bit.....thick I guess would be the best word for it. His uniform is working extremely hard to keep him contained.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of Riker, I'm behind on my podcasts and just now getting to the new PodDirective and I know it has been said before, but drat if Frakes just doesn't seem like the nicest guy ever. He's so humble and the way he just remembers every single person's name he interacts with on the job.

He also, apparently, played Captain America for Marvel at cons in the 70s.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Basebf555 posted:

My most recent observation was that I just reached the point where Riker gets a bit.....thick I guess would be the best word for it. His uniform is working extremely hard to keep him contained.

That’s just the overload of charm and positive-masculinity radiating out of him. Hard to keep it all in one place.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Basebf555 posted:

Alright well be careful what you wish for because I'm knocking out like 2-3 episodes of TNG a night right now.

I saw an interview sometime in the primordial past where Spiner was talking about the season 1-2 uniforms and said, "If you eat a donut the morning of the shoot, the camera's going to pick it up." Frakes was having serious issues with his uniform by the beginning of season 2. (Not that I have room to talk. My BMI is probably around a 30 right now, and if you put me in one of those unis I'd look like Augustus Gloop. I'll take a skant, please. At least my legs would look good in one of those.)

An especially unpleasant note about those uniforms that I think I read here or the other thread was in addition to being unflattering to anyone with an extra gram of body fat, they also retained odor like a bear trap. Imagine being one of the poor season 3 extras, they don't have enough of the new unis yet so you have to take one of the leftovers, and you're trapped for a whole shooting day in Patrick Stewart's BO and the ghost of all his farts.

nthing the "Go ahead and share." It brings happiness to see someone discover the joys of Trek. And occasionally fresh eyes bring up interesting points.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I actually found some obsessive costumer (I think his internet handle was "obsessive costume guy" or something like that) who was able to examine a bunch of Star Trek uniforms and generate sewing patterns out of them, including skants. And he had enough knowledge of TNG uniforms that he was able to adapt the pattern to use the S3-S7 collar instead of the S1-S2 collar. So I (a dude) went all out and just made myself a loving S3-S7 style skant. Great for cons and Halloween parties. It really does show off the legs, though I did find some black tights (women's tights, lol) that make it a little easier to wear in cold weather and in general give you a little more coverage because... there is not a lot of coverage. There's just something fascinating to me about Gene's vision of equality of the sexes in the TNG era. It wasn't "we'll stop putting women in revealing clothing to objectify them" but "we will allow men and women alike to wear revealing clothing to objectify them".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Skants are unisex

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

All I want is a skant version of the TOS movie maroon jacket uniforms. Is that so much to ask?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

All I want is a skant version of the TOS movie maroon jacket uniforms. Is that so much to ask?

Wouldn’t that basically just be a shorter version of the original TNG dress uniforms? Just a paneled jacket that opens all the way down?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I might be misremembering but I seem to recall Uhura wearing a skirted variant of the uniform in TUC

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

I might be misremembering but I seem to recall Uhura wearing a skirted variant of the uniform in TUC

I think it’s the same style of top, just with a black skirt worn underneath that has the same mustard pinstripe down the side as the regular pants.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

Because that’s how the McQuarrie Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans looked.

A better question is why they felt like this design was appropriate to cannibalize for the centerpiece of their show, since Discovery has nothing to do with Planet of the Titans, and the whole reason why McQuarrie’s design looks like this was to facilitate TNG-style saucer-separation action, which the Disco doesn’t do.

Despite disliking it at first, I came to like the original gold Discovery. From some angles it looks really sleek and fast. Would I have preferred something a little more TOS? Sure, but in the end I liked it.

Hard pass on the refit color scheme however.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like that image retconning the light leak on the shuttlebay door to be part of the glow of the forcefield emitters

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do we ever see shuttles launched out of the big one on the saucer? Inside or outside, I assume some of the interiors were SB1 but I never really paid attention

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I think the only time we saw that shuttlebay at all was at the end of Cause & Effect when they vent it to dodge the collision. Even at the end of Generations I'm pretty sure the doors were still closed

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

zoux posted:

Do we ever see shuttles launched out of the big one on the saucer? Inside or outside, I assume some of the interiors were SB1 but I never really paid attention

Nope, the closest we got was in "Cause and Effect."

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

I like that image retconning the light leak on the shuttlebay door to be part of the glow of the forcefield emitters

I honestly thought that was intentional all these years, not like the leak on the left hand side of the saucer near the impulse engine

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

I think the only time we saw that shuttlebay at all was at the end of Cause & Effect when they vent it to dodge the collision. Even at the end of Generations I'm pretty sure the doors were still closed

They also launch out of it in Best of Both Worlds 2, we see that happen from inside the shuttle.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Watching the season 2 finale of Picard and that one cameo really took me by surprise, lmao

Having finished the final episode, I gotta say, I really like the way they wrapped up Q. It feels very much in character that his final act before passing is to trick jean Luc into therapy to fix his life. That's probably the only part I really liked though. The late twist that there was some sort of galactic supernova-laser that apparently went undetected until the last second felt contrived, and I still didn't care for Rios or Raffi or Agnes or even space elf. But that bit with Q was so good it almost made the rest of the season worth it.

McCloud fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 30, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They at no point ever bothered to explain what Q’s deal was

Also I think the writers forgot that he has a son

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

But enough about Worf! :buddy:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Der Kyhe posted:

That pretty much sums 85% of the way they ended up doing the S2 and S3. According to 50YM several episodes from those season went through only cursory editing and rewriting work, because they were the only ones in the pipeline that week anywhere near the condition where they could be filmed.

And the planned ones didn't get much better treatment due to production having constant issues with the Screen Writers Guild, Gene going crazy and firing & hiring writers left and right etc. etc.

Was that the case with S3? I'm watching it now and it just feels like I'm bouncing from hit to hit in a way I didn't feel with S1 or S2. So many classic moments here. "Commander, what are your intentions with my daughter?" "I will have some of your burnt replicated bird meat". Then again, they did just go to the first city of the "Klingon Imperial Empire" (as if there's any kind of of empire that isn't imperial). But these episodes all feel great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

They at no point ever bothered to explain what Q’s deal was

You mean why he was dying? I just assumed he caught some rare form of Q-cancer or something