Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

As a millennial I am very happy to be part of the last generation to have a normal and healthy relationship with media consumption

Now if you'll excuse me I have more drawings of myself opening an N64 on Christmas to make since that's the only time I can remember being happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

is pepsi ok posted:

Which, despite the popular narrative at the time, was profitable right until it went out of business.

They also played a role in killing off KB Toys.

Listen, buddy. If a business can't stay alive despite its management diverting all revenues to investor dividends, it's not a healthy business.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kazmeyer posted:

So another big trend in the subreddit is people buying poo poo at GameStop and posting their receipts, to show their support of the company. There's currently a civil war between the folks doing that and a group who calls them shills because any money spent on consoles should instead be spent buying up the stock to expose the naked short sellers. They're arguing that every dollar spent at GameStop is putting off the glorious fall of capitalism where a single share in the company will be worth a small European nation. Anyone who disagrees with anyone else about frankly any topic is a short-seller shill trying to ruin things. If someone states that they plan to sell off a single share once the stock price reaches ten million dollars they get called out for being a traitor to the revolution.

It's great.

that sub is nuts

they're composing portraits in honor of an economist and poo poo

Morbus
May 18, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

yeah I agree but I think we already have the technology and productive capacity to the point where inherited neurological differences don't need to matter at all for Life Outcomes, and spending lots of time and resources studying and discussing them isn't terribly useful, and if anything it has a dangerous tendency to be appropriated by Nazis

otoh if examined critically you can come to the very anti-nazi conclusion that, even if you take the most blatantly biased or racist research at face value, the "observed" inter-group differences in IQ do not statistically account for the quantitative magnitude of underrepresentation.

The almost inevitable conclusion is that there are more dumb white people in positions of prestige and power than their ought to be. Which I'm sure will come as a surprise to many of you.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

is pepsi ok posted:

Which, despite the popular narrative at the time, was profitable right until it went out of business.

They also played a role in killing off KB Toys.

drat. rip to a real one

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

hes mormon so that totally tracks

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My sister has two boys (12 and 6), and they are fairly "normal" when it comes to media consumption and relationship building because she has a masters in early childhood education and works in the field.

God help 99% of the kids out there though.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

spacemang_spliff posted:

they bought out guitar center years ago and killed all the mom and pop stores that sold anything but the cheapest gibsons and fenders (and gibson and fender quality went in the toilet at the same time for some reason)

I didn't realize this. I looked it up and Guitar Center had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Then Bain sold it to Ares Capital Management.

The show goes on!

Running one of those stores must be hard work. Every time I go there, it's an unpleasant experience with tons of people manhandling the most expensive instruments while most of the staff are definitely just trying to buy time while praying their dreams of artistic superstardom take off.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Mar 29, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

InfiniteAutism
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

goth smoking cloves posted:

As a millennial I am very happy to be part of the last generation to have a normal and healthy relationship with media consumption

and the first generation to go to the gulags! we've been there so long that we've become veterans .... :ohdear: those of us that are still alive :bioware:

InfiniteAutism
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

management diverting all revenues to investor dividends

genius!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Zodium posted:

why do goons love latent variable theories so much. loving hell

I can reproduce the observed behavior via this model which includes a goon parameter

InfiniteAutism
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

I didn't realize this. I looked it up and Guitar Center had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Then Bain sold it to Ares Capital Management.

The show goes on!

and who gets hosed? the customer. genius!

InfiniteAutism
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

Morbus posted:

I can reproduce the observed behavior via this model which includes a goon parameter

:downsowned:

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

I'll just stick to having a normal relationship with media but my social media followers having a profoundly unhealthy parasocial relationship with my online presence like a normal person tyvm

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

On the topic of extremely grim portents for the future of the educational system of the United States

https://twitter.com/Steinernomics/status/1640850693878693889?t=0igRAT7HoJlyYMC6rWluAA&s=19

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SlimGoodbody posted:

On the topic of extremely grim portents for the future of the educational system of the United States, this little thread feels pretty bad

https://twitter.com/Steinernomics/status/1640850693878693889?t=0igRAT7HoJlyYMC6rWluAA&s=19

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
sliver lining to the toxic dumps, you’ll die of thirst long before starvation

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

we've known about this for over 3 years already and the chickens haven't even come home to roost

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Casey Finnigan posted:

in America they're not even designed to do that. they're truly just places to park the kids.

my high school had very few teachers that even tried to teach anything. And they were all the AP teachers, so you had to prove yourself before you could even take their classes. And even then half of them retired during my time as a student there because of Chris Christie slashing benefits for teachers

if you go to US history class and your teacher just puts on an episode of south park and sits back you're not gonna put effort into learning

thankfully we're getting rid of advanced tracking due to equity concerns, which will in turn solve the problem of only a few teachers wanting to teach the super motivated (either internally or via their parents) kids

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

we've known about this for over 3 years already and the chickens haven't even come home to roost

Turns out, when you have a bajillion dollars, it takes a while to collapse!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
speaking of kids, my kid shot ahead in reading proficiency when i just let him play video games nonstop because there is So. Much. Dialogue in lego games and even mario. finally, they made video games educational by having everything be tedious and overexplained. gonna have to get him some real tedious and long winded rpgs next

but otherwise the concerns of socialization are pretty overblown now that schools are back in person. they still run around in packs and play tag, find sticks and smack each other, crawl around in bushes, all the classic stuff

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

don’t worry about your kids so much. they have their own karma to work through

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

mastershakeman posted:

speaking of kids, my kid shot ahead in reading proficiency when i just let him play video games nonstop because there is So. Much. Dialogue in lego games and even mario. finally, they made video games educational by having everything be tedious and overexplained. gonna have to get him some real tedious and long winded rpgs next

wow! disco elysium might be the most educational game of all time!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol anybody who has kids needs to reconcile with the fact that they will die early due to the collapse of the biosphere and/or microplastics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

perhaps their plasticized innards will prevent a tape worm infection and their will live longer . who knows it’s in the goddess’ hands

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
We will achieve synthesis by becoming 100% plastic, one bpp at a time

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

but otherwise the concerns of socialization are pretty overblown now that schools are back in person. they still run around in packs and play tag, find sticks and smack each other, crawl around in bushes, all the classic stuff

Planescape Torment stays winning

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FlapYoJacks posted:

My sister has two boys (12 and 6), and they are fairly "normal" when it comes to media consumption and relationship building because she has a masters in early childhood education and works in the field.

God help 99% of the kids out there though.

out of curiosity, what does your sister constitute as "normal" specific to media consumption here? My oldest is 11 and I've put my foot down on absolutely no social media account creation though let her watch kid friendly youtube videos and the occasional tiktok.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

ahahahahaha so GameStop's been hinting at something called "GMERICA" for a little bit and the speculation in the subreddit was everything from them forming their own bank to their own stock market to it being the code word for when they destroyed capitalism and GME stock would become the only currency.

It's a line of NFTs, of course.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would say no social media ever

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mastershakeman posted:

get them into FFT so they can learn spatial reasoning and also prep them for having to stay in jobs they hate for way too long to maybe have a chance at a good job

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

euphronius posted:

I would say no social media ever

even into adult hood

just look at us

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
FFTs are more geared toward spectral reasoning but they're also pretty commonly used for spatial frequency stuff sure

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Son of a bitch

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mycomancy posted:

Let's translate that tweet:
"I think it's kind of rich for folks who have never stolen value from labor in their life to grill someone who's stolen millions of dollars worth of labor from Americans and people around the world."

I mean if there's one Senator who knows about stealing the value of labor all their life, it's Mitt Romney

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

our tech overlords have reimagined taxis, juicers, blood tests, commercial real estate, and tunnels —— now they have come for roller skates

https://twitter.com/therundownai/status/1639691524471439362
The AI Wallet Inspector will tell you how to better spend your money. By tracking your every transaction it will adapt to you and maybe even make a few for you!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Powell had a closed door meeting and Republicans are leaking it lol
https://twitter.com/FerroTV/status/1641135073012350978?t=IvOW71DlODHB7j2x6lHh2w&s=19
https://twitter.com/PriapusIQ/status/1641135131049046016?t=oEF6qzci-Ntu3428SR66jw&s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol anybody who has kids needs to reconcile with the fact that they will die early due to the collapse of the biosphere and/or microplastics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anyone eho has kids needs to reconcile with the fact that they will ride with me into valhalla shiny and chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

get them into FFT so they can learn spatial reasoning and also prep them for having to stay in jobs they hate for way too long to maybe have a chance at a good job

and learn the zodiac so they can get laid