Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Love it when "supply chain inflation is mitigated" just means get used to the new normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol anybody who has kids needs to reconcile with the fact that they will die early due to the collapse of the biosphere and/or microplastics.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Where the gently caress is the place for this if not the doomsday economics thread you fuckin tool rear end moderators

Edit: I guess biosphere collapse is marginally more appropriate but lmao at eating a probe for being too doomy in the doom thread

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol anybody who has kids needs to reconcile with the fact that they will die early due to the collapse of the biosphere and/or microplastics.

so many computer touchers turned out to be expert ecologists but it seems like more of a curse than a blessing

oh yeah, and virologists

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mirthless posted:

Where the gently caress is the place for this if not the doomsday economics thread you fuckin tool rear end moderators

Outside

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

speaking of kids, my kid shot ahead in reading proficiency when i just let him play video games nonstop because there is So. Much. Dialogue in lego games and even mario. finally, they made video games educational by having everything be tedious and overexplained. gonna have to get him some real tedious and long winded rpgs next

but otherwise the concerns of socialization are pretty overblown now that schools are back in person. they still run around in packs and play tag, find sticks and smack each other, crawl around in bushes, all the classic stuff

i was a little loving nerdlet for history as a kid thanks to age of empires 1 and 2 so this tracks

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mirthless posted:

Edit: I guess biosphere collapse is marginally more appropriate but lmao at eating a probe for being too doomy in the doom thread

yeah wtf. that was a bad shoot. bad hoot

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ban all social media imo

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HallelujahLee posted:

ban all social media imo

and smartphones

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
fuckin weedless rear end end of the month I hate it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the kids are gonna be able to eat plastic like in crimes of the future

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Gorson posted:

and smartphones

im ok with this

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the kids are gonna be able to eat plastic like in crimes of the future

there is nothing stopping you from eating plastic right now if you want

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

FlapYoJacks posted:

lot of big misses from dumbass mods in cspam lately lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

so many computer touchers turned out to be expert ecologists but it seems like more of a curse than a blessing

oh yeah, and virologists

-noted economist, regarde aduck

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
take it to sad

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Al! posted:

there is nothing stopping you from eating plastic right now if you want

sorry, *digest* plastic

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
reminding people that the children in the world today will have to deal with a lower quality of life than we have and a lower life expectancy(at least in america) is a no no.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mirthless posted:

-noted economist, regarde aduck

lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Mirthless posted:

bad vibes!!! :mods:

Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

reminding people that the children in the world today will have to deal with a lower quality of life than we have and a lower life expectancy is a no no.

yeah, it's something of a blessing to think that when my wife and I are dead and gone, that's that. I've got no investment in the future so I can laugh as much as I want at the absurdity of all of these overlapping crises.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

imminent collapse is a great reason to have a kid cause nobody else is gonna help your lard rear end around.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

HallelujahLee posted:

ban all social media imo

are forums considered social media or just sad

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Louisgod posted:

i socialize more here than actual social media so ill go with sad.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

FlapYoJacks posted:

that's not very funny

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Jaxyon posted:

get them into FFT so they can learn spatial reasoning and also prep them for having to stay in jobs they hate for way too long to maybe have a chance at a good job

Not going to lie, I saw “FFT” and honestly thought you were talking about Final Fantasy Tactics, the best Final Fantasy. Because everything you said is applicable.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, it's something of a blessing to think that when my wife and I are dead and gone, that's that. I've got no investment in the future so I can laugh as much as I want at the absurdity of all of these overlapping crises.

I don't and won't have kids but this mindset sucks imo

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I guess I should be happy I have a nice enough job to have been able to spend the entirety of my wife’s paycheck on daycare for my two kids during the pandemic. That meant that they are reasonably socialized and the kindergarten my older daughter goes to appears to be filled with kids in the same situation.

My school system had 3 all day kindergarten classes this year, I guess they usually only have 1, maybe 2. Probably enough parents willing to pay the extra free over half day to gets the kids out of the house. My kid has been making good strides in leaning, and is doing well in math and is reading now. So I guess it all depends on the district. Could also be the high Illinois taxes are actually useful for something out in the suburbs.

I did get to hear some fun stories from my sister in law and brother in law that teach in Chicago. They both returned this year after teaching overseas in various countries for 7 years. They started the school year in a Chicago public school (each a different school), I think teaching grade schoolers. By mid year, both had jumped ship to a charter school. Just the lack of accountability or rules enforcement meant the kids were pretty hopeless. At least at the charter schools there is a process in place to follow for when kids start acting up. For both of them, it was a massive amount of stress relief to get out of the public schools. And they had taught in the public schools before they did their international stint.

Apr 7, 2003

net work error posted:

The game was predetermined a long time ago. I can't make anything better so I might as well get some lols and lmaos.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Not going to lie, I saw “FFT” and honestly thought you were talking about Final Fantasy Tactics, the best Final Fantasy. Because everything you said is applicable.

Wait, that wasn’t the intent of that post? What did FFT stand for in that post?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

net work error posted:

It's definitely not great. Its easy to go through phases like that though. Kind of like the different phases of grief.

Do your best to try to make the future better but try not to take it personally when you can't fix the world alone. I do want/hope future children to have a better world than I have and definitely better than how I grew up.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Mar 29, 2023

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SourKraut posted:

You can really learn a lot from delita about the power of sticking to your plans and leveraging your relationships with others

Also about who to blame when things go wrong: yourself or god

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

gently caress you, got mine. :smug:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Radirot posted:

gently caress you, got mine. :smug:

This is a weird way to frame the selfless choice of not reproducing

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Louisgod posted:

going with sad

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

anyways heres more of this happening

https://twitter.com/BrianMteleSUR/status/1641107356963487745

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

SourKraut posted:

Fast Fourier: Tactics

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

MLK Ultra posted:

Fast Fourier: Tactics

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mirthless posted:

In regards to DoomTrain I felt his response to what was a pretty good discussion about intelligence eugenics, the failing usa education system, and potential economic problems was inappropriate. We have talked about microplastics and climate change in the past and will in the future, but did not think derailing or ending a good conversation was needed today. Unfortunately I derailed the good conversation by probing him.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Mar 29, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

oh yeah, and virologists

and strategists, tacticians and historians of Eastern Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

please rename to [feelgood economics]