Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Blanket 30% boost to all categories seems ok.

I'm not a big fan of earth maps, as there's no magic of figuring out where you need to explore past the first 2-3 turns. I'd totally dig a 'not-earth' map tho?
Relatedly, the UI mod that I was using that gave outputs to policy tiles is outdated and buggy (CQUI or something). Any mod suggestions? I'm using 'skip intros', 'quick deals' (omg such a power boost), and 'detailed map tacs', but the linux client is in such a shitshow currently I'm not really sure what still works.

edit: Well I'm just full of questions tonight as I'm getting back into it. I've always felt that industrial stuff has a terrible return on investment, since most of my games where in Vanilla. I know GS changes a lot of this, but I still see things like Ruhr Valley being recommended despite the break-even point being six thousand cogs, that's just nuts. I know it lets you sandbag industry for space race stuff, but still man, that's an awful deal. Likewise nothing breaks my heart as settling an atomic era city and seeing a harbour cost 45 turns of production, that's just mean.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
We usually play Fractal or Splintered Fractal on low sea level in multiplayer.

Serephina posted:

Relatedly, the UI mod that I was using that gave outputs to policy tiles is outdated and buggy (CQUI or something). Any mod suggestions? I'm using 'skip intros', 'quick deals' (omg such a power boost), and 'detailed map tacs', but the linux client is in such a shitshow currently I'm not really sure what still works.

Better Report Screen + Extended Policy Cards have still worked fine for us and shows yields on policy cards. We've also used Real Strategy (AI) + Late Game AI to stop the AI from completely deflating towards the endgame, although they've both been updating recently so how exactly the AI performs and what it focuses on has varied a lot between each update. No clue about what works or doesn't on Linux though.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 29, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I always play on continents and islands—it’s never generated a map I haven’t enjoyed playing.

+2 trade routes for recruiting a great admiral seems pretty good? You can get one pretty early, there never seems to be any competition for them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I absolutely loathe the way continents to partition/shrink the game; you have a teensy scuffle or race to lead your continent against a couple of others, then absolute silence for ages until cartography until you can reveal the map and meet the majority of your opponents, who are now all very well entrenched and have settled religions etc. War is possible but pissing upwind, and peace results in just turbo goldfishing for 2/3rds of your game. Awful all around. Conversely Pangea just rules out the sea entirely and makes larger games too large to cross on foot - but it's ok for smaller games.

Gonna give fractal/low sea a go, hopefully that's a good mix of interactivity, thanks for the tip.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

big fan of seven seas. if you want a bit more chaos crank the number of players up by 2 or three to ensure civs run into each other sooner. new world or whatever has a similar vibe, but if you manage to outpace the ai there it makes the game pretty easy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Play new world as Maori. Fill the rest of the slots with the most aggressive warmongers. Savescum until you figure out the right direction to gently caress off to the new world. Make popcorn and enjoy.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Play New World as Eleanor. Max out the number of civs.

Lose from loyalty in the first 10 turns because Rome started next to you and has higher population output.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I... just always put it on Shuffle, and randomise everything that I can? The civs are also randomised but I select the "civs with no victories" option so I play as someone I haven't won the game as yet. Tech shuffle is always on as well so I can't use the same course of action every time. I also have a rule to settle in place and no rerolls.

I know it's not the norm but it keeps me entertained.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I tend to play on Pangea or Continents. Unless I am playing a dedicated Naval civ then I do Islands. Sometimes I'll do true start location.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

shuffle. keep it a mystery.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

ellspurs posted:

settle in place and no rerolls.

what the gently caress

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

ellspurs posted:

I also have a rule to settle in place and no rerolls.

:negative:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"Play the hand your given" is a fine approach, I commend it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I usually pick my opponent civs based on who has the best music.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Play new world as Maori. Fill the rest of the slots with the most aggressive warmongers. Savescum until you figure out the right direction to gently caress off to the new world. Make popcorn and enjoy.

Yeah, this one's fun.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

I usually pick my opponent civs based on who has the best music.

The one reason I hate having Australia in a game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I always put Gilgamesh in the game and send him a friend request the moment I meet him. Sometimes this makes me a lot of enemies but an enemy of Gilgamesh is no friend of mine.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yestermoment posted:

The one reason I hate having Australia in a game.

Waltzing Matilda, WALTZing Matilda...

I don't mind Australia's music, but for similar reasons, I can't stand England. Which especially sucks because their music in Civ 5, a piece of Holst's Jupiter, is so good.

Greece still has the best music, in my opinion. The Maori are close.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I remember looking it up at some point and apparently Shuffle just picks a Fractal, Island Plates or Continents?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

ellspurs posted:

I... just always put it on Shuffle, and randomise everything that I can? The civs are also randomised but I select the "civs with no victories" option so I play as someone I haven't won the game as yet. Tech shuffle is always on as well so I can't use the same course of action every time. I also have a rule to settle in place and no rerolls.

I know it's not the norm but it keeps me entertained.

Is this PC only, because I've never seen a "civs with no victories" option on the iPad. Anyone know more?

Thanks, found it, it's there on iPad as well. Good to know if I want to buy the leader pass.
vvvvvvv

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 30, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's under the leader pool selection, advanced settings.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My current game I wasn't paying too much attention to whose name was on all those great prophet points, so I mad dashed to claim what I thought was the last one. Nope! It's just the two guys who already have a religion looping back around with surplus points. Literally most of the opponents have decided that having precisely zero GPP well into the renaissance is perfectly ok! OK so maybe I didn't need to mad dash that prophet, but still, it showcases why the player needs to have a loving religion 100% of the time. If I'd just decided to roll with someone else's beliefs the game would have already been over due to a lopsided 1v1 scenario I wasn't part of.

Worst victory condition evarrrrr.

-----------

Kanfy posted:

We usually play Fractal or Splintered Fractal on low sea level in multiplayer.

Better Report Screen + Extended Policy Cards have still worked fine for us and shows yields on policy cards. We've also used Real Strategy (AI) + Late Game AI to stop the AI from completely deflating towards the endgame, although they've both been updating recently so how exactly the AI performs and what it focuses on has varied a lot between each update. No clue about what works or doesn't on Linux though.

Cheers again for this. Policy Cards seems to be working, Better Reports is broken, and I'm not 100% sure if the AI mods are doing their job as it's kinda hard to tell? The AIs certainly had a lot less military units this game to their own detriment, I saw some barbarians running around on Emperor sacking everything which was an eye opener.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
They finally dropped the last 6 updates on mac, so now i have 18 new leaders to try. It has been very annoying having to wait.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

This camp does not stop making poo poo

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are you trying to woo them or something? Just feed it to the vampires.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
farming XP maybe?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Time for my semi-annual Civ binge.
You know what'd be a great design feature? Have the ai leaders react to the things you do! That way, the giddy rush of city-planning when you hit that Found City button gets replaced with a scene of Aminatore telling you your cities are filthy!! Wow great!!!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite is that Chandragupta's agenda is clearly based on whether he can declare a war of expansion on you, which requires him having two cities close to two of yours. He spent the entire game phoning me up to tell me my people stink and it's bothering him, while his cities kept rebelling and joining me, but when he had only one city left, completely surrounded by all his former cities that were now mine, he then contacted me to let me know he appreciated me backing off.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I paused my Civ6 Victoria game to quickly bang out an Endless Legend game. Got a Cultist domination victory in a single sitting, compared to still grinding one out as Victoria 3 sessions in. This game is long, and sometimes in a bad way. The city planning is good, tho, I'll give it that.

Tree Bucket posted:

Time for my semi-annual Civ binge.
You know what'd be a great design feature? Have the ai leaders react to the things you do! That way, the giddy rush of city-planning when you hit that Found City button gets replaced with a scene of Aminatore telling you your cities are filthy!! Wow great!!!!
Honestly, the big takeaway I have from the previous two generation of 4X games is that having AI opponents natter to you is great, I unironically love it. Gives them so much more flair than just a colour blob on the map, and all those assets and voice acting need to see use.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Oh, for sure. I just wish it didn't pop up right after I found a city! Like, of course this city has no districts, it was three guys and a mule thirty seconds ago.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You have a puny little navy and I want to pillage your coasts!
*builds a single galley*
Wow your fleet is truly great and I now love you!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Poil posted:

You have a puny little navy and I want to pillage your coasts!
*builds a single galley*

weren't people complaining before (wayyyyy before) that they didn't like that you didn't instantly know the AI's agenda? I seem to remember the change to this explicit and often nonsensical AI posturing. Or maybe that was Civ V? Anyway, once upon a time, it wasn't like this. You had to spy on them or talk to them or watch what they did to figure out their agendas.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Serephina posted:

Honestly, the big takeaway I have from the previous two generation of 4X games is that having AI opponents natter to you is great, I unironically love it. Gives them so much more flair than just a colour blob on the map, and all those assets and voice acting need to see use.

I expect someone will make a 4x where ChatGPT writes the equivalent of dynamic voice barks "in the civ leaders style".

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Poil posted:

I read this in Dug from Up’s voice and honestly it’s perfect for the Civ 6 AI

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

homullus posted:

weren't people complaining before (wayyyyy before) that they didn't like that you didn't instantly know the AI's agenda? I seem to remember the change to this explicit and often nonsensical AI posturing. Or maybe that was Civ V? Anyway, once upon a time, it wasn't like this. You had to spy on them or talk to them or watch what they did to figure out their agendas.
Yep it was Civ6. Every leader has a random hidden agenda and a unique one that is always the same.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The city state governor with her -2 loyalty skill/talent is actually super fun early on to hinder enemy expansion continents away. Not sure if she's really worth it but I really enjoy her, especially on the duel and tiny maps I play on iPad. I often add extra civs and watch the thunder dome.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Civ 6 has its flaws, but I'm willing to forgive a lot for the simple joys of other civs dropping cities on your doorstep which immediately rebel.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Civ has a score. I think the best thing that Civ could do on a diplomatic macro level is to have two winners. One person can be allied with 1 place score and also wins when 1 place wins(by whatever means, even if not score). 2 place score cannot ally with 1 place score. 1 place score and 2 place score can only have one ally.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

Civ has a score. I think the best thing that Civ could do on a diplomatic macro level is to have two winners. One person can be allied with 1 place score and also wins when 1 place wins(by whatever means, even if not score). 2 place score cannot ally with 1 place score. 1 place score and 2 place score can only have one ally.

I like this a lot, except I guess for a game with a total of three players, obviously. The computer could tell who was in which place; AIs playing to win don't need to be great players, just ok players and good at sweetening deals with human players who are in 1st or 2nd. Might even provide a use for those carpets of units they make.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
:rip: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/xcom-and-civilization-studio-firaxis-games-suffers-a-round-of-layoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Now I feel bad for not buying their last game, even though it is exactly my jam. 😬