Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Harold Fjord posted:

I got stuck on the very first part of 5. Haven't played one since. Eventually I'll get around to the first person games.

What? How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

The Resident Evil 4 VR remake is also really good. They put the mercenaries mode in like 6 months back. I had trouble with the original but had a blast with it in VR.

Oh the VR version is great, I wasn't even really thinking about VR versions as remakes but if they count I definitely need to qualify my previous statement lol. Dual wielding guns and firing blindly behind you while rapidly stabbing a dude on the ground ftw, and also in the game

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Grassy Knowles posted:

Secret of Mana but you also have to be in middle school and beat it with your best friend and your younger sibling playing along the whole way.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

5 was the racist one. 6 was the one that was way too long.

6 wasn't too long, imo. It was 4 (5?) weird and short games rushed out by a bunch of separate teams that barely communicated. So it felt excruciating as a whole.

Frank Frank posted:

That was the one with the Ada Wong scenario then that was just a string of endless action set pieces? God I owned Operation Raccoon City and played the gently caress out of it. What am I doing with my life?

The best part of the Ada scenario in 6 is that they had to make all the scenarios co-op like RE5, and instead of giving her a partner like everyone else has, if you co-op it's just some faceless guy in miltech armor who stands around like a golem

Feels Villeneuve posted:

re5 was considered "somewhat racist" back before it was a big press topic, I can't imagine how badly it comes off now

I've seen some blind playthroughs of RE5 in recent years and the trajectory is always "Oh this isn't as bad as I expected." Followed by them entering the village where everyone's "regressed" into grass skirts, tribal masks, and chucking spears around and going "Ohhhh noooo...."

It sucks because Sheva is a really cool. I don't know how they'd do a remake of 5 without drastically reworking the whole back half of the game though. The bits that aren't racist are completely dull shooting galleries. Maybe they'll clean up the first REmake? Or jump to Code Veronica and just redo that one in full first?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Salazar looks like a necromancer raised Margaret Thatcher from the dead in the RE4 remake.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
double post

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh the VR version is great, I wasn't even really thinking about VR versions as remakes but if they count I definitely need to qualify my previous statement lol. Dual wielding guns and firing blindly behind you while rapidly stabbing a dude on the ground ftw, and also in the game

Yep, the VR remake is what I played most recently and it owns hard.

My favorite memory of 5 is playing co-op with a friend. We hit the end-game and I was baked out of my gourd and could not process the final QTE with Wesker at the end forcing us to replay from the airplane over and over again and my friend going “JESUS gently caress DUDE”

Not sure where I was going with that

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 29, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

if you co-op it's just some faceless guy in miltech armor who stands around like a golem
This is also the protagonist in Chris's campaign

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I never played RE4. should I play the remake/update/whatever?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

6 wasn't too long, imo. It was 4 (5?) weird and short games rushed out by a bunch of separate teams that barely communicated. So it felt excruciating as a whole.
It was something like twice as long as 5 if you played all four campaigns. Maybe not too long in an object sense but too long for the kind of experience they were delivering.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wanted to play RE4VR so bad but I own a Rift S instead of a Quest so I'm just not allowed for some reason. gently caress you facebook!!! Why is it Quest exclusive instead of Oculus Store exclusive??

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

FF IX is so underrated it hurts

ff9 sucks

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

[Record scratch]

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

ulvir posted:

Play the original first because it’s funny af

“I did not enjoy FF9” is probably my most unpopular video game opinion up there with “Dark Souls 2 is my favorite DS game”

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

ulvir posted:

Yeah if you never played RE4 and don't like the idea of somewhat dated mechanics (shitloads of QTEs since it kinda invented those, have to stop to shoot mainly) then the remake is probably the way to go. The original was pretty near perfect as was and the remake doesn't really make it worse in any way outside of some minor things.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nuns with Guns posted:

my favorite is the big confrontation between Chris and Leon where Chris is like "do you have any idea what's going on!?" and Leon responds "yeah, I do, trust me," where if you're playing Chris' campaign first, you'll assume that, yeah, ok, Chris hasn't really been paying attention or asking questions, maybe Leon has some context that squares everything. Then you play Leon's story and he is somehow even less looped in than Chris lmao

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The fact that almost every RE character is a drooling moron and they still win somehow in every game unironically owns

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

in terms of RE5 being kind of yikes….

https://youtu.be/ydv8rdXnoGg

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

The fact that almost every RE character is a drooling moron and they still win somehow in every game unironically owns

HUNK is smart and evil, so he only appears in one game for 5 minutes

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

hunk in re4 mercenaries was badass. also he was in that weird 4 person coop racoon city game they put out where the only really cool thing was the last level became a pvp match if everybody didnt make the same dialogue choice

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

For me the big thing separating RE5 and 6 is 5 is an absolute slog and painful experience solo but solo RE6 is still fine. Co-op is obviously the way to go for both but after doing a solo run for the first time recently of both games it really stood out how dull RE5 is moment to moment when you aren't chatting it up with a friend. Having to give Sheva ammo and guns also really sucked rear end lol.

Yeah I played both solo and having to manage Sheva's inventory sucks rear end, RE6 getting rid of managing your AI partner's stuff was a really good change

Pigbuster posted:

remember the RE6 zombie that's just a bee swarm in the shape of a lady lmao

Like even for a setting as ridiculous as RE that made me go "okay cmon"

RE8 has 3 characters who are fly swarms in the shape of ladies

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Smart how? He was given a specific job and (canonically) got horribly murdered

copy posted:

hunk in re4 mercenaries was badass. also he was in that weird 4 person coop racoon city game they put out where the only really cool thing was the last level became a pvp match if everybody didnt make the same dialogue choice

The aforementioned Operation Raccoon City. I mained the cloaky knife lady.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Smart how? He was given a specific job and (canonically) got horribly murdered

The aforementioned Operation Raccoon City. I mained the cloaky knife lady.

oh lol sorry didnt notice you already brought taht up. me and a buddy played the gently caress out of that game like what 11 years ago or whenever it came out? fun at the time but busted lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
i wanted wesker to win when i read the early 00s resident evil novelizations. wesker was written to be so much cooler than everyone else in those books

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

copy posted:

I played ORC with 2 friends and we all voted to kill Leon but for some reason it put 2 of us on the kill side and the last person + bot on the protect Leon side and the bot was like an aimbot made of titanium and couldn't be killed and instantly murked us lol. Only memorable part of that game for me.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah I played both solo and having to manage Sheva's inventory sucks rear end, RE6 getting rid of managing your AI partner's stuff was a really good change

RE8 has 3 characters who are fly swarms in the shape of ladies

The ending to that game got the hardest eye roll ever from me. It was literally and then John was a zombie

Everybody geeked out over the big giant lady and she’s in the game for 1 act and that’s it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

HonorableTB posted:

i wanted wesker to win when i read the early 00s resident evil novelizations. wesker was written to be so much cooler than everyone else in those books

I still remember playing code Veronica where Wesker revealed himself to be…not entirely human and going “oh come the gently caress on”

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

The ending to that game got the hardest eye roll ever from me. It was literally and then John was a zombie

Everybody geeked out over the big giant lady and she’s in the game for 1 act and that’s it.

It wasn't even that it was just the ending to Prototype lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/androdamos/status/1637200626739302400?s=20

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is also the protagonist in Chris's campaign

Hey now, at least they attempted to give Chris' fanboy a very tragic and moving death at the end of their campaign. He was an object who was acknowledged to exist within the confines of the story.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It was something like twice as long as 5 if you played all four campaigns. Maybe not too long in an object sense but too long for the kind of experience they were delivering.

5 was pretty short compared to 4 though, to be fair. But yeah 4 and 5 both feel way better to play than most of 6. The only part of 6 that was remotely fun was the Sherry/Linkin Park chapter because Linkin Park had a decent and unique hand-to-hand combat style.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

my favorite is the big confrontation between Chris and Leon where Chris is like "do you have any idea what's going on!?" and Leon responds "yeah, I do, trust me," where if you're playing Chris' campaign first, you'll assume that, yeah, ok, Chris hasn't really been paying attention or asking questions, maybe Leon has some context that squares everything. Then you play Leon's story and he is somehow even less looped in than Chris lmao

Chris acting like Elmer Fudd desperate to kill Ada Wong's Bugs Bunny and shaking his fist every time she got away was great, even if it was an incredibly dumb way to drive a wedge between Leon and Chris.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wow... what a thread!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

"I'm boner... lol"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I lol everytime that one crazy guy has an alt perma'd and the mods have to write "Permabanned User Beyond ReTarTed" each time.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

all of chris alternate costumes from resident evil 5 on are deliberatly gay because chris is gay

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I lol everytime that one crazy guy has an alt perma'd and the mods have to write "Permabanned User Beyond ReTarTed" each time.

[wesker voice] i am permabanned user beyond retarted, chris uwhahaha

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what is with this psycho who keeps getting permabanned, what was his original account/reason for destruction?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wesker! [thinking very hard for a comeback] you've gone senile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I played ORC with 2 friends and we all voted to kill Leon but for some reason it put 2 of us on the kill side and the last person + bot on the protect Leon side and the bot was like an aimbot made of titanium and couldn't be killed and instantly murked us lol. Only memorable part of that game for me.

oh what that's lame. shoulda been a 3 on 1. Me and my buddy just each picked different sides and then got to 1v1 and it ruled so i just assumed it took the vote into account. wack