Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

mycomancy posted:

So, like, when you get that star, does just having it cause the brain damage, or is there some sort of ritual or potion involved?

you have to have already been brain damaged to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

spacemang_spliff posted:

you have to have already been brain damaged to get it

My posting hasn't changed

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Stuck on the fence
How does it feel
It don't make sense
Nothing is real

-MC Ride, presumed bodhisatvva

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't want to say this but your VIX is in contango

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sounds dumb, i'd be ripping that fucker up like 10 pages in

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

I still support our boys in gray even if they do a bad shoot now and again, you're alright hoot

It's a thin star between us and chaos you know

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Terminal autist posted:

Its the most pointless navel gazing. Sorry you're not the main character but life will continue on regardless of you or not. Lifes a lot more tolerable when you stop dwelling on pointless poo poo you have no control over

:wrong: i am the main character and i have to be because i experience life subjectively

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

sounds dumb, i'd be ripping that fucker up like 10 pages in

Sounds kinda like they did it this way so they could point to their process and say "see? We still have the originals"

Engineers wasted a lot of time on this non solution

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mirthless posted:

I still support our boys in gray even if they do a bad shoot now and again, you're alright hoot

It's a thin star between us and chaos you know

God drat you're not supposed to deep throat the boot son...

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Sounds kinda like they did it this way so they could point to their process and say "see? We still have the originals"

if it's like an old book that's one of a kind or handwritten or something ok but anything with a barcode on it? slash and scan dawg, there is no value being added in that process lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mirthless posted:

I'm curious about this because they have a lot of out of print reference books even the government of Canada doesn't have in the various libraries and archives I need to pull stuff from, certainly not in digital form. Some good works on microfiche though, but I digress.

Are books typically destroyed when digitized or are they rebound?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm curious about this because they have a lot of out of print reference books even the government of Canada doesn't have in the various libraries and archives I need to pull stuff from, certainly not in digital form. Some good works on microfiche though, but I digress.

Are books typically destroyed when digitized or are they rebound?

They're usually rebound if they're doing the chop-n-scan. The method all depends on the material. If it's a cheap and widely available book, it'll get the chop, but in my experience most library materials are digitized with non-destructive scanning.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

no it wasn't! what are you talking about THEY WERE SAYING YOU NEED TO ENGAGE WITH THE BELL CURVE!!!

wasn't he the same person who suggested that the american left should ally themselves with religious institutions and kick the DSA to the curve? Or am i thinking of someone else:v:?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

reminding people that the children in the world today will have to deal with a lower quality of life than we have and a lower life expectancy(at least in america) is a no no.

Its cool how you dweebs decided climate change wasn't enough so now you think microplastics are going to kill us ever quicker. But microplastics are even less interesting so there's negative care.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

wasn't he the same person who suggested that the american left should ally themselves with religious institutions and kick the DSA to the curve? Or am i thinking of someone else:v:?

I said that about the Salvation Army. Trust me, though this be madness, yet there is methodism in ‘t.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Its cool how you dweebs decided climate change wasn't enough so now you think microplastics are going to kill us ever quicker. But microplastics are even less interesting so there's negative care.

the election of joe biden makes all things possible

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

people enjoy reinventing miasma theory over and over. then once something is well-researched your wild rants start to get called out with inconvenient things like "evidence," so you have to move onto the next pseudoacademic fad

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

its funny because following the logical conclusion of all the doomer posting just means you should behave like a conservative and grab what you can before it all falls apart because there's no future, except you feel bad about it which makes you pathetic looking

if you truly believe it's all hopeless and there's no saving the future, then what else is there than to shore up the status quo that exists now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

people enjoy reinventing miasma theory over and over. then once something is well-researched your wild rants start to get called out with inconvenient things like "evidence," so you have to move onto the next pseudoacademic fad

Are you saying climate change isn't real or microplastics?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

gotta give it to liberals, using the term "doomer" was a real good move

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

things that are real: eugenics :twisted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lessail posted:

things that are real: eugenics :twisted:

Some people itt do seem to belive that. I am not one.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

how are microplastics real haha just poo poo them out just poop out the microplastics through your butthole

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
sorry to and condolences for all the people whose crappy kids won't survive the future. On the other hand, my exceptional children will thrive.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

skooma512 posted:

My current doomer pet project is to read r/teachers and other sources to gauge the collapse of the education system.

Someone said their kindergarteners are just straight up feral now and don’t know how to act around other kids so they just fight each other and try to use scissors as shanks. They don’t even group play or make friends at playtime, it’s all against all.

Also iPad kids barely even know how to play with actual toys and their idea of pretend is holding it up and saying “everyone subscribe!”

insane Earth Abides vibes lmao

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 20:48 on Mar 29, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

I was talking to someone the other day who told me his wife quit teaching after 30 years because of this. He said the kids are literally impossible to control and everything she had used throughout her career was no longer working so she just gave up.

One of my friends had to take mental-health medical leave bc of the out-of-control kids in her classroom & lack of support from administration. She was lucky enough to be offered a buyout at the end of the leave & retired early.

She taught first grade.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

My current doomer pet project is to read r/teachers and other sources to gauge the collapse of the education system.

Someone said their kindergarteners are just straight up feral now and don’t know how to act around other kids so they just fight each other and try to use scissors as shanks. They don’t even group play or make friends at playtime, it’s all against all.

Also iPad kids barely even know how to play with actual toys and their idea of pretend is holding it up and saying “everyone subscribe!”

*stabbing classmate* hit that notification bell

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm referring to microplastics but exaggerating. They are probably harmful to human health but probably not as important in the Big Picture as many posters claim. Like 4-5 years ago there were people were acting like Gut Flora research was on the verge of answering ever unknown disease etiology. Still a really cool and important research area worth funding, but not a magic bullet. Capitalism is less and less capable at producing a penicillin-like breakthrough every year

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
someone stabbed another kid in the ear when I was in school and we had pretty insane fights all over.

I dont really think that's a new phenomena, just the bad luck of being in some underfunded area where the choice is - kid stays with grandma alone during pre school years and doesn't get any structure or maybe if your lucky there might be some pre school program but the waitlist is so long the kid ages out beyond when it becomes available.

My childhood was the stay with grandma who falls asleep almost immediately and then going into kindergarten with only the feral neighborhood kid style. Some kid punched me in the back of the head hard enough to make me see stars in kindergarten and we had a knock down drag out fight over it on the bus. This would have been in 1993ish?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

is pepsi ok posted:

I was talking to someone the other day who told me his wife quit teaching after 30 years because of this. He said the kids are literally impossible to control and everything she had used throughout her career was no longer working so she just gave up.

i knew that at some point kids were going to figure out that "being in trouble" isn't real and detentions dont matter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i have at least three suspensions for violent behavior in grade school, toddlers have always been feral

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao teaching is so bad that r/teachers banned discussing quitting and finding non-terrible jobs in january

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

skooma512 posted:

teaching is absolutely dogshit these days, and people whove taught for decades have noticed there's been a pretty bad trajectory recently. but that in particular isn't that noteworthy because kids of all eras are mostly sociopaths and part of growing up and school is learning how to not be a sociopath.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
cell phones have completely rewritten our brains it rocks

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

silicone thrills posted:

someone stabbed another kid in the ear when I was in school and we had pretty insane fights all over.

lol yeah people in basically all my years of school beat the poo poo out of each other all the time. I don't specifically remember anyone being stabbed but it wouldn't shock me

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
humans literally perceive tools as extensions of ourselves now what if we put a dopamine slot machine slash half your brain on a little box you cant use for half the day

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Pretty good day for China.

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1640952888091615233?t=eV4kZRCS9nfjErAY3k3fDQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1641151382425305088?t=7JWmQlvNuFs0ItDxM15LNQ&s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

anime was right posted:

cell phones have completely rewritten our brains it rocks

i was thinking about when gpt takes off we're going to offload the part of our brains that knows facts because we will be able to ask the chatbot and get the answers at a B- correctness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Al! posted:

i was thinking about when gpt takes off we're going to offload the part of our brains that knows facts because we will be able to ask the chatbot and get the answers at a B- correctness

google probably already did this. why memorize benign information like who was in what movie when your brain knows it doesnt have to. its very likely you dont have to flex memory neurons as much and poo poo, which changes how your brain prioritizes poo poo