Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Koirhor posted:

pretty sure actual wealthy people have a home gym and their trainer comes to their loving mansion so lol ok

yeah once again this isn’t for actual rich people, it’s for the people who think they’re rich and spend like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Kinda seems like a more extreme example of something that's been around for a while. Calling these places a gym is a stretch. Around here they're called "lifestyle fitness clubs" and while yeah, they have all the stuff you'd expect to see at a gym it's really just a place to network/cheat on your spouse. Most gyms don't have bars lol

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Is this pro athlete level training, or what's the deal here?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al! posted:

what is subject matter jurisdiction

literally an entire class in law school

but fed courts can only hear cases that some statue says they can hear. so if you complain about something that isn’t within the courts statutory scope, they can’t hear it . like literally will not hear it

this does not include the Supreme Court which is not a “federal court”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

euphronius posted:

but fed courts can only hear cases that some statue says they can hear. so if you complain about something that isn’t within the courts statutory scope, they can’t hear it . like literally will not hear it

cool thank you

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

subject matter jurisdiction is extremely complex !!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

anime was right posted:

oral tradition is honestly pretty sick. i dont think with computers or pencils our brains can do that anymore super well.

Socrates posted:

I heard, then, that at Naucratis, in Egypt, was one of the ancient gods of that country, the one whose sacred bird is called the ibis, and the name of the god himself was Theuth. He it was who invented numbers and arithmetic and geometry and astronomy, also draughts and dice, and, most important of all, letters.

Now the king of all Egypt at that time was the god Thamus, who lived in the great city of the upper region, which the Greeks call the Egyptian Thebes, and they call the god himself Ammon. To him came Theuth to show his inventions, saying that they ought to be imparted to the other Egyptians. But Thamus asked what use there was in each, and as Theuth enumerated their uses, expressed praise or blame, according as he approved or disapproved.

"The story goes that Thamus said many things to Theuth in praise or blame of the various arts, which it would take too long to repeat; but when they came to the letters, “This invention, O king,” said Theuth, “will make the Egyptians wiser and will improve their memories; for it is an elixir of memory and wisdom that I have discovered.” But Thamus replied, “Most ingenious Theuth, one man has the ability to beget arts, but the ability to judge of their usefulness or harmfulness to their users belongs to another; and now you, who are the father of letters, have been led by your affection to ascribe to them a power the opposite of that which they really possess.

"For this invention will produce forgetfulness in the minds of those who learn to use it, because they will not practice their memory. Their trust in writing, produced by external characters which are no part of themselves, will discourage the use of their own memory within them. You have invented an elixir not of memory, but of reminding; and you offer your pupils the appearance of wisdom, not true wisdom, for they will read many things without instruction and will therefore seem to know many things, when they are for the most part ignorant and hard to get along with, since they are not wise, but only appear wise."

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Al! posted:

thats the ruling over whether that guy can sue somethingawful for civil rights violations over a permaban fyi

is that the same dumbfuck that keeps buying new accounts every day?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Red Baron posted:

yeah once again this isn’t for actual rich people, it’s for the people who think they’re rich and spend like it

90% of the time this poo poo gets posted its literally just an ad because a rich person starting a bullshit gym knows someone at the times

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Dr. Furious posted:

L i t t l e m o n e y

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

subject matter jurisdiction is extremely complex !!!

so if im getting this correctly he either filed in the wrong court or the judge took a look at his case and said "i cannot issue a ruling on this"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

silentsnack posted:

is that the same dumbfuck that keeps buying new accounts every day?

yeah

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So not actually for seriously training in sports.

This makes sense, actually, and I'd be happy to not have those people at regular gyms in the same way that MMA gyms and CrossFit boxes thinned out the meathead crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWRxEXvvmGQ

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

euphronius posted:

federal courts in particular can't hear most matters other than for VERY specific things (disputes concerning actual federal laws or disputes between people in different states mostly) and will kick you out to your local state court

the Supreme Court is absolutely a federal court but it has its own even more archaic rules

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Al! posted:

thats the ruling over whether that guy can sue somethingawful for civil rights violations over a permaban fyi

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al! posted:

so if im getting this correctly he either filed in the wrong court or the judge took a look at his case and said "i cannot issue a ruling on this"

idk.

the popular law school text book on this one seemingly limited topic (federal jurisdiction) is literally over 1000 pages

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Xaris posted:

they sit in front of a screen all day but instead of posting, they lurk. there's nothing more demented than a lurker/passive vouyeristic social media consumer

gross

Yeah, what kind of freak lurks a forum lol. Who would do a hosed up thing like that. Definitely not me haha

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Al! posted:

if I had to guess he may have tried to file his case as a civil rights claim in federal court and the judge said "this is not a genuine civil rights claim under recognized federal law and therefore we can't hear this here" and kicked him out

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

idk.

the popular law school text book on this one seemingly limited topic (federal jurisdiction) is literally over 1000 pages

They just keep adding crap to the textbooks so students can't re-use them.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I said that about the Salvation Army. Trust me, though this be madness, yet there is methodism in ‘t.

Did you ever stop to consider why the DSA seems so ineffectual at times?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

So not actually for seriously training in sports.

This makes sense, actually, and I'd be happy to not have those people at regular gyms in the same way that MMA gyms and CrossFit boxes thinned out the meathead crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWRxEXvvmGQ

always lotsa of $$$$$$$$$$ to be made with inflating egos

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

birth control pharma stocks are the hot buy right now!

https://twitter.com/BloombergAsia/status/1641186540163399682

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I love reading the economy. You get these types of silver lining stories that give you hope.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Koirhor posted:

pretty sure actual wealthy people have a home gym and their trainer comes to their loving mansion so lol ok

This is probably more about conspicuous consumption.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

egbert was on to something

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

if I had to guess he may have tried to file his case as a civil rights claim in federal court and the judge said "this is not a genuine civil rights claim under recognized federal law and therefore we can't hear this here" and kicked him out

lol

we need forums free speech legislation NOW

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Did you ever stop to consider why the DSA seems so ineffectual at times?

Not enough bands, no collections at Christmas time, lack of zeal.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I thought that's why people went to the (insert ivy league school name here) club

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

yeah I agree but I think we already have the technology and productive capacity to the point where inherited neurological differences don't need to matter at all for Life Outcomes, and spending lots of time and resources studying and discussing them isn't terribly useful, and if anything it has a dangerous tendency to be appropriated by Nazis

my point would be that the inherited neurological differences are actual quite detrimental to functioning normally in society and very often the kids that have them very much need help most especially the minority ones.

they also very much do not fit into our systems designed to get kids help like IEPs, and often end up jammed into the emotional disturbance category.

also when they are mishandled and not given help the results can be spectacular. when educational systems are designed for a specific progression, deviations from the progression even ones considered positive are very much a problem and tremendous pain in the rear end.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Whatever help might be offered to kids with ADHD, nonverbal learning disability or whatever is not going to be forthcoming given the ideology of education in America specifically but all of the western nations steadily breaking the social contract under neoliberalism. Identifying those kids now, with the attitudes that exist and more importantly the basic incentive structure is just going to single them out as lost causes. That's without getting into the stuff about class and race - as others have said, the solution to "why are (poor) black students struggling?" has never and will never be "spend more money on their public schooling" let alone, "increase social spending generally to improve material conditions at home", so all you get is a new iteration skull measurements proving Irish criminality or whatever.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Our current education system isn't really set up to produce outcomes any more advanced than technically giving kids somewhere to be while their parents are at work. Some like 10% of the kids will end up getting a degree in something that lets them get a professional-class job and the rest will either end up in the service/retail death spiral or get a cushy job through personal connections. Expecting anything more advanced than daycare from US schooling is borderline utopian

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Eroding material circumstances are deffo loving the kids up and the teachers are the only ones positioned to even notice the behavioral shift

yeah, this

anecdotally, in the late 90s, the difference I personally experienced between a well-funded public school and the public school I had to move to in middle school meant things like:

-- no more metal or woodshop classes (did my first spot weld at age 11)
-- no more home ec classes that literally taught me how to cook
-- no more broad-topic mechanical classes (they called it "technology" but it was like, how different shapes affect structural integrity, how aerodynamics work for both air and ground vehicles, etc and all super hands on learning, like I'll never forget an assignment/class competition to make a cardboard packaging structure that could withstand the most PSI, and our projects were then put into a giant vice crusher thing that we used to see how many PSI we could apply before they crumpled)
-- no more budget for encouraging kids to get into academic competitions, nor any such competitions
-- no more focus on learning things like using word processors or spreadsheets or presentation software (which, while stupid, was one more thing that helped me remain employed during the late 00s and still further my career)

in return for those losses, I got a bunch of burnout teachers with 30+ student classrooms

since then, things have gotten so vastly worse between have and have-not school systems, especially with conservative shitlords making sure that only private christian schools/for-profit charter schools get funding at the expense of public schools, and shitlibs being the ineffectual whores-of-capital they were born and love to be

imo it's really hard to grasp just how hosed the vast majority of kids are in america if you haven't already seen the effects of wealth disparity on school systems firsthand, as a student or a teacher, in no small part thanks to rich media failkids who think they're journalists spitting out whatever capital shoves up their assholes

it's not the kids' fault, it's the fault of capital/this demon cracker nation and its awful, awful, awful capital-captured leadership

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think schools would benefit from competitors and profit motive.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

euphronius posted:

well I'm convinced

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

euphronius posted:

school bullies should be encouraged for the just world

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Not enough bands, no collections at Christmas time, lack of zeal.

oh i see you were just shitposting.

consider me owned, Dear Goon:thumbsup:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
he's right

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
he meant to say collectivization at christmas time

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

goth smoking cloves posted:

Sweet, now we can blame everything happening in France on Xi

Oui...
Xi Xi Xi!
Oui!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Casey Finnigan posted:

being a substitute teacher was by far the hardest thing I've ever tried to do so being an actual teacher just seems nuts

many feel this way

it's why I am pushing 40 and I am STILL the youngest loving person in the room at every staff meeting

where I see the biggest deficiencies is self-help skills

5 year olds being perplexed by a coat, not even the zipper or buttons, just the motherfucking sleeves and lord help them if one of the sleeves is inside out

not being able to flick a light switch

near pathological levels of speech impairment, like pointing and grunting, for "normal" kids

just hosed