Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's neat seeing the final steps of this transformation into a pure chat thread. Pretty soon I can unsubscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mycomancy posted:

gently caress off, god-botherer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:blastu:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's neat seeing the final steps of this transformation into a pure chat thread. Pretty soon I can unsubscribe.

we need number to go down

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
perhaps having thread enemies keeps us on topic, whos to say

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

well, that's certainly a fuckin mix of employers

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Benagain posted:

I like how this thread seesaws between "everything is just utterly hosed with no hope" "lol doing anything other than revolution is worthless" and "god why aren't people revolting in the objectively correct way"

Yeah why aren't more people revolting in the correct way, by wearing Axe Body Spray.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

anime was right posted:

we need number to go down

The markets are being propped up partially by the end-of-quarter flows. A lot of investment funds really want to keep tech stocks on their books to show Joe Customer that they captured the 2023 rally, so there's a ton of money going into keeping everything together through 3/31. If they fail at this, fund guidelines mean they have to sell their stocks, Joe Customer asks why his portfolio doesn't have TSLA or NVDA or NFLX and then gets upset and goes somewhere else with his money.

If we don't start selling in April then it's likely all-clear until the summer.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

The markets are being propped up partially by the end-of-quarter flows. A lot of investment funds really want to keep tech stocks on their books to show Joe Customer that they captured the 2023 rally, so there's a ton of money going into keeping everything together through 3/31. If they fail at this, fund guidelines mean they have to sell their stocks, Joe Customer asks why his portfolio doesn't have TSLA or NVDA or NFLX and then gets upset and goes somewhere else with his money.

If we don't start selling in April then it's likely all-clear until the summer.

I have a feeling every tech stock is going to miss and everyone is gonna get annihilated

not that tech earnings have ever really been meaningful (or real), but i figure everyone is skittish about svb and it's gonna roll down to earnings

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Also all these emergency bank loans the Fed is doing -- the not-QE stuff -- is going to be paid back and all the most irritating people you know will start gloating and claiming victory and immortal normalcy off the back of a totally historically unprecedented emergency action.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I have a feeling every tech stock is going to miss and everyone is gonna get annihilated

not that tech earnings have ever really been meaningful (or real), but i figure everyone is skittish about svb and it's gonna roll down to earnings

Earnings seasons is later in April, so that'd fit.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mirthless posted:

can you explain because that explanation sounded right based on what wikipedia said and I think most of us don't have academic experience with this term like you seem to

I am saying this from the perspective of someone who wants to hear your viewpoint and has no position in this broader argument fwiw

epigenetics is a non genetic change in how genes express themselves. this can be a lot of things, but it always happens at a specific scale: the cellular scale, as opposed to the individual scale or the ecological scale. it's orthogonal to behavior. it doesn't mean that behavior is epigenetic or has an epigenetic basis. behavior is ecological in the sense that it's acting on relations between animal and environment (e.g., if you want to cross the road in traffic, you'll want to keep your perception of an oncoming car's growth in size relative to your visual field small enough to make it across in time) and if we want to understand behavior, we need to study these relations, not individual differences like genes or gene expressions. there's nothing mystical about that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

" posted:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/most-americans-doubt-their-children-will-be-better-off-wsj-norc-poll-finds-35500ba8?st=lr1moraw79j5fs3"] 'No One's... Having Fun': Surveys Show Soaring US Economic Pessimism

"An overwhelming share of Americans aren't confident their children's lives will be better than their own."

lol things are fine tho fr fr

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Mar 30, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eXXon posted:

Yeah why aren't more people revolting in the correct way, by wearing Axe Body Spray.

Don't forget to wear your corporate focus group approved black hoodie with a vaguely rebellious but generally safe graphic design on it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Get ready to disrupt trees

https://twitter.com/yupthtexists/status/1641102217884098561?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey kids want to really "take it to the man" (or whatever it is you kids say these days) make sure to wear this pre distressed cool leather biker jacket to the rally with your new doc martens.

How about a 50 dollar bandana with a rock band logo on it?

Number thanks you for your contribution.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

lol things are fine tho fr fr

vibes are off

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

this is so loving dumb

big waste of metal, plastic, glass, 99999 gallons of gas to make it

also someone is gunna take a rebar and break it in a day anyways

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I started primary school in 1986. Even in a lovely bottom third rural school district I had wood shop, metal fabrication shop, and home economics. The equipment was from the 1960s but the classes were still there and were mandatory. I learned how to balance a checkbook and handle my finances and all that stuff.

Apparently even good schools don't get that stuff anymore, which is sort of depressing.

There's no standardized testing for wood shop & home ec.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Why does everyone always mention balancing a checkbook as an example of practical skills? I was born in 88 and that's not been a relevant skill in my entire lifetime. My mom taught me how to do it with my first checking account/debit card cause I did summer jobs as a tween and was employed part time as soon as legally able but even then it wasn't really a thing you needed to do.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

i heard about a place for discussing stuff. sometimes even to debate.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

the real doomsday is the postin pals we made along the way

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

we all hope you do

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium posted:

epigenetics is a non genetic change in how genes express themselves. this can be a lot of things, but it always happens at a specific scale: the cellular scale, as opposed to the individual scale or the ecological scale. it's orthogonal to behavior. it doesn't mean that behavior is epigenetic or has an epigenetic basis. behavior is ecological in the sense that it's acting on relations between animal and environment (e.g., if you want to cross the road in traffic, you'll want to keep your perception of an oncoming car's growth in size relative to your visual field small enough to make it across in time) and if we want to understand behavior, we need to study these relations, not individual differences like genes or gene expressions. there's nothing mystical about that.

We all know that health and stress have no effect on how individuals behave, and that individual behavior has no effect on greater societal trends.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Sad news from the Magic Kingdom: Bob Iger has axed Disney's Metaverse division.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

imagine the smell

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zodium: Studying links between pollution and health later in life has no basis in any serious study of human ecology! Its not like a chronically sick population behaves any differently in the great flowing wave of life.

E: Now consider a spherical human

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mycomancy posted:

The religion thing is baffling. It's been a force of reaction and of the status quo for thousands of years, but because there's like a thousand leftist Christians we have to accept a bunch of god-bothering nonsense that's incompatibility with solidarity and unity. How can a so-called Christian leftist hold solidarity with non-Christians if said Christian thinks their comrades will burn in hell literally for-loving-ever because they're of a different or no faith?

Like it or not, religion is an enemy of the people and has been since its inception. To deny otherwise is the libbiest of poo poo.

The Christianity Understander has logged on.

e: and been probed, just saw that, not trying to twist the knife.

Anyways, the SA fought a pretty relentless war against American capitalism, I might start with that. A good book on it is, Red-Hot and Righteous: The Urban Religion of The Salvation Army.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Mar 30, 2023

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is how you get the teenage mutant ninja turtles

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

PoundSand posted:

Why does everyone always mention balancing a checkbook as an example of practical skills? I was born in 88 and that's not been a relevant skill in my entire lifetime. My mom taught me how to do it with my first checking account/debit card cause I did summer jobs as a tween and was employed part time as soon as legally able but even then it wasn't really a thing you needed to do.

the literal sense of "balancing a checkbook" is outmoded but you'd be surprised how many people overdraw their checking accts. bc of not realizing that using their debit card for ubereats means they have to ensure that the funds are there or face cascading nsf fees.

look, we're talking about a country in which over half of its population thinks tax refunds are called "tax returns" bc you get your interest-free overwithholding returned to you.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

we all hope you do

rich coming from you, why do you bother posting here? im pretty sure you hate everyone.

ArmZ posted:

the real doomsday is the postin pals we made along the way

:yeah:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Al! posted:

i would say entire regions being considered the middle of nowhere and not worth the outreach even though they are basically untapped basins of unsatisfied workers just because they arent near a major city is a big obsticle for building communism in america

In the 1930s you had farmers sieging courthouses and attacking landlords and that poo poo was in Nebraska, not in NYC

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Really the New Deal stopped a proletarian revolution from happening, and the base of that was working class people connected through class and deep ties from being in the same location/way of life/etc

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
trees on sidewalks do gently caress up the sidewalks as well as the curb of the road (where the bicyclists ride), so i say get rid of 'em

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

This is dumb. The basis of materialism is that people are affected by their material circumstances. Thats literally all 'epigenetics' means: people are affected by material circumstances down to a cellular level. Environmental factors express themselves in your biology. Where do the environmental factors come from? What our society chooses to do. If you'd like to change epigenetic expressions of material circumstances, change the material circumstances. Its not complicated, theres no need to invoke mysticism

he doesn't know what epigenetics is, it's things that happen to DNA like methylation that can change gene expression, for some reason people started using it to try to refer to everything outside genetics for some odd reason, I blame libs

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

finally something to harness green algae blooms for.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fill them with brine shrimp. Pay $2 and get a refreshing snack for yourself or the new population of feral flamingos.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
10% of the american workforce is unionized and we're worried about epigenetics lmao

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Radirot posted:

rich coming from you, why do you bother posting here? im pretty sure you hate everyone.

nah, the people posting econ news and stats and poo poo are cool

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

econ thread is never ready for biosphere thread

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

This will tell you everything you need to know about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjvjgPU5mz4

quote:

CCTV is funded in whole or in part by the Chinese government.

reported for posting chinese propoganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

tristeham posted:

rename the thread to happyday economics

i changed it to non-doomsday economics for a while but hootington changed it back

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I started primary school in 1986. Even in a lovely bottom third rural school district I had wood shop, metal fabrication shop, and home economics. The equipment was from the 1960s but the classes were still there and were mandatory. I learned how to balance a checkbook and handle my finances and all that stuff.

Apparently even good schools don't get that stuff anymore, which is sort of depressing.

All of that stuff was killed completely by no child left behind