Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know if it was intentional, and I realize the writers all went to Harvard, but there’s a reason Lisa Simpson perfectly embodies this kind of person and was a great way to mock Liz Warren.

Is Lisa really smart or has she just learned how to do homework the right way and tick all of the correct boxes while making insipid presentations?

I haven't watched the show in a while, but the last I checked, she was genuinely smart, if a bit pretentious.

Making her less smart and more unlikeable does seem like a very post 2000 Hollywood thing to do, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

there are an average of 1,500 train derailments in the US every year. you're just hearing more about it now because of the Ohio incident last month. the media is capitalizing on the fact that the articles generate clicks, and absolute morons like you fall for it and think everything has started collapsing

that doesnt make it any better you imbecile nor does it help anyone anywhere that theres 1500 a year wow im sure the people in ohio sure are glad theres 1500 a year

you really are a dumb piece of poo poo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"This happens all the time," I reassure myself as vinyl chloride floods into my back yard.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

there are an average of 1,500 train derailments in the US every year. you're just hearing more about it now because of the Ohio incident last month. the media is capitalizing on the fact that the articles generate clicks, and absolute morons like you fall for it and think everything has started collapsing

well I mean, 1,500 train derailments a year sounds pretty bad, especially if some have the potential to, y'know, completely gently caress up a community, so perhaps the media focusing in on what is clearly a problem is a good thing, regardless of the clickbait they're going for.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i think everything is on the verge of collapse because we have neglected and torn apart any notion of doing things for the public good over the past half century

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

wow didnt you know theres 1500 of these a year this is totally normal and ok

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

if there's 1500 trains a year that's a ton of derailments. please use numbers responsibly.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
[in extreme scooby doo villain voice] and I would've gotten away with all the derailments too, if it weren't for the meddling media

Apr 7, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

wow didnt you know theres 1500 of these a year this is totally normal and ok

There were 1000-1100 in 2020 depending on what source you look at, if there were actually 1500+ in 2022 that's a massive increase in a very short time

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

imagine telling someone that just got their entire town poisoned hey good news theirs 1500 of these a year and thats totally normal and by the way the media is making a circus of this and thats totally wrong.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

"While recording 777 million train-kilometers in 2019 (train-kilometers are the measure of a train traveling the distance of one kilometer), 1,338 derailments took place in the country. The EU, by contrast, only saw seventy-three derailments that year despite, by one count, recording 4.5 billion train-kilometers. For Japan, the same year saw more than 2 billion train-kilometers, according to Knoema, and only nine derailments. (In fact, the number of derailments in Japan over the past twenty-one years alone is roughly one-eighth of the amount the United States sees on average in a single year)."

who's the absolute moron now? we've been collapsing for years

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

the media is just doing it for clicks from doomer brains. a great source of ad revenue.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

is this supposed to be a living wage? do minor league players get day jobs?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
You spent so much time wondering if 1,500 derailments a year was normal you forgot to wonder if 1,500 derailments a year was good.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

HallelujahLee posted:

your posts are a big wet fart imo

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i gotta hand it to these creeps from dnd they seem to one-up each other on being worthless garbage on nearly a daily basis

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

counterpoint: Everything is collapsing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIPx8ZBFQDo

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

One derailment is a tragedy, fifteen hundred is a statistic.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

From starving in extreme poverty to eating ramen in extreme poverty. :thumbsup:

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i think we need to define train derailments because there's a difference between like a mis-alignment of the wheels and the tracks at the depot, and a full-speed train doing its best impression of dropped link-sausages

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Mr Hootington posted:

You should watch Dr. Wolff

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

i think we need to define train derailments because there's a difference between like a mis-alignment of the wheels and the tracks at the depot, and a full-speed cargo/passenger train doing its best impression of dropped link-sausages

a mass train derailment is when 4 or more cars die

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

💯 this. Goons like to talk about how the media shapes the narrative and then fall for the media pushing stories hook, line, bait.

It's like mass shooting. Every once in a while there's a horrific mass shooting that goes viral and everyone is all anguish and woe while they have no idea that mass shootings are totally completely common and normal thing in America. It's silly to fret over something that happens all the time.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

💯 this. Goons like to talk about how the media shapes the narrative and then fall for the media pushing stories hook, line, bait.

It's like mass shooting. Every once in a while there's a horrific mass shooting that goes viral and everyone is all anguish and woe while they have no idea that mass shootings are totally completely common and normal thing in America. It's silly to fret over something that happens all the time.

what is this post

is this a syq

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
bretton woods took 12 years to start after it was signed. the dollar isn't going to collapse in a day, month, or year but the increasing amount of countries willing to settle in yuan demonstrates that china is rising and the US is falling

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

For sure, the things that make us uncomfortable in the media are just there because other people are stupid

Poco
Jul 17, 2005

....I am a Tariff Man

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is this supposed to be a living wage? do minor league players get day jobs?

Most do, yeah. When I was a teenager one of the players for the Arkansas Travellers delivered pizza at the domino's I worked at a few nights a week. If they had a day game during the summer he'd come to work right after.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HallelujahLee posted:

what is this post

is this a syq

it is a good joke post

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

the MEDIA likes to INFLATE the DERAILMENT numbers by classifying a DERAILMENT as TWO OR MORE CARS

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Apr 7, 2003

lecturing my wife about how the freight car fireball she's scared of is just a normal everyday thing. completely normal

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

it is a good joke post
lol

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

19 o'clock posted:

can’t buy a home because they’re too expensive. truck just hit 220k so better replace that soon instead….

…jfc :smith:

enjoy $800 a month for the next 6 years, slave :trumpsmug:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

heres something

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1641438679460872192?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HallelujahLee posted:

what is this post

is this a syq

goon baffled by joke

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin
in 2023, your average person is forfeiting food in order to drive a car

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
e: nvm

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Have you all thought about the jobs those derailments create?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
As was said yesterday Thorn is actually a far right poster who thinks he is a centrist liberal. We have neolib centrists like Bar Run Fun, shrike82, and Jaxyon, but there it is very clear Thorn is not like them.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

goon baffled by joke

were all dumbos in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I remember Donald rumsfeld claiming that the problem with the war in Iraq was all the media reporting on it.