Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tuckerd posted:

in 2023, your average person is forfeiting food in order to drive a car

i think at some point pfc said people were gonna start holding each other up at gas stations to fill up their trucks, and i respect that shot call. I can see that happening very easily in this country.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tuckerd posted:

in 2023, your average person is forfeiting food in order to drive a car

New York Times: "Calorie Restrictions May Be the Blessing We Didn't Know We Needed"

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Now replace their faces and voices with AI generated Bernies.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

what are the odds that these train derailments are just domestic terrorists finding out they can cause massive amounts of damage with like no exposure
just like with the power substations

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

what are the odds that these train derailments are just domestic terrorists finding out they can cause massive amounts of damage with like no exposure

i think its more that the railroad workers are extremely overworked alongside a myriad of other issues their having and prob leaving in masses

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

As was said yesterday Thorn is actually a far right poster who thinks he is a centrist liberal. We have neolib centrists like Bar Run Fun, shrike82, and Jaxyon, but there it is very clear Thorn is not like them.

yes, pushing back against the predominant "omg everything is collapsing :supaburn:" narrative of this thread makes me a far right poster, for sure! you're a genius, and the IK this thread deserves

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

my brother in christ, you busted the strike

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

0%, it's because freight companies own most of the tracks and spent all their money on stock buybacks instead of ya know fixing the tracks

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Spoondick posted:

i think one of the first industries to adopt ai to significantly reduce workforces will be call centers, in the near future when you talk to a help desk, answering service, telemarketer, etc you're going to be talking entirely to a computer

I worked in various call centers starting with supporting Comcast High Speed Internet in 2001 before burning out really hard in 2014. A current AI absolutely could have done my job. However, it might lead to the AI deciding that humanity cannot be allowed to live.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

yes, pushing back against the predominant "omg everything is collapsing :supaburn:" narrative of this thread makes me a far right poster, for sure! you're a genius, and the IK this thread deserves
You consistently post how nothing should change and everything is OK. You are a weirdo far right conservative.

Maed posted:

"While recording 777 million train-kilometers in 2019 (train-kilometers are the measure of a train traveling the distance of one kilometer), 1,338 derailments took place in the country. The EU, by contrast, only saw seventy-three derailments that year despite, by one count, recording 4.5 billion train-kilometers. For Japan, the same year saw more than 2 billion train-kilometers, according to Knoema, and only nine derailments. (In fact, the number of derailments in Japan over the past twenty-one years alone is roughly one-eighth of the amount the United States sees on average in a single year)."

who's the absolute moron now? we've been collapsing for years

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i like you how ignored all the pushback against your psycho post

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

“Didn’t you read Thorn’s post in the doomsday economics thread on cspam!? It’s NORMAL rep DOOMman”

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

i think its more that the railroad workers are extremely overworked alongside a myriad of other issues their having and prob leaving in masses

for sure, god knows our infrastructure doesn't need any help falling apart, but it also seems to be largely ignored by every apparatus meant to prevent it that there is a burgeoning domestic terror problem on our poo poo

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somewhere deep in my bowels is voice whispering "the unions are sabotaging the trains". I dare not listen!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

no i just think you'rea fuckin moron

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

when you say now do you mean just then or right now

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Could be workers who wanted to strike actually engaging in effective sabotage. People don't want you to have a day off? Would be a shame if a buncha chemicals spilled near you, we wouldn't want that now would we.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

no i just think you'rea fuckin moron

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

lmao people who work on trains loving love trains

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

for sure, god knows our infrastructure doesn't need any help falling apart, but it also seems to be largely ignored by every apparatus meant to prevent it that there is a burgeoning domestic terror problem on our poo poo

the feds wont' do anything about it because it's a bunch of white supremacists behind all the terrorism, and cops don't go after their own

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

He’s not saying we’re not collapsing

He’s saying it’s normal

And he’s right

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

i don't have a love like train lovers love their trains

Apr 7, 2003

~ I've been workin' on the derailroad
~ all the live long day

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i'd love to ascribe some sort of intent to them but it's almost certainly just workers being exhausted and quitting en masse

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In your opinion, what institutions or material conditions are stable or improving?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Egg Moron posted:

He’s saying it’s normal

And he’s right

We would all realize everything is fine if the media didn't exist. No material issues in this society, nosiree.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Egg Moron posted:

He’s saying it’s normal

And he’s right

normal collapse, from the standpoint of normal.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

theres legit no need for them to do any terrorism on the railroads their already falling apart entirely

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
It's FINE. The cops said they're like not even real trains so it doesn't even matter like AT ALL

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i'd love to ascribe some sort of intent to them but it's almost certainly just workers being exhausted and quitting en masse

I guess regardless of the cause it's starting to give me that January/February 2020 vibe where things are happening very fast but everyone's in kinda shocked denial that it could be what it looks like

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

elon musk is sabotaging the rail lines preparing to introduce his new company, DirigibleX, the transport everything dirigible

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HallelujahLee posted:

these are the same idiots that post the same version of this every-time something happens oh multiple train derailments ah thats completely normal towns poisoned ah thats completely normal

everything is always fine and the same consider them to be the other extreme if doomerism is one extreme

It is normal to poison towns though. It's also normal for nobody to care. Even gun-addicted Americans won't even do the American thing about it because people here only do that to respond to the existence of black people or women.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

skooma512 posted:

It is normal to poison towns though. It's also normal for nobody to care. Even gun-addicted Americans won't even do the American thing about it because people here only do that to respond to the existence of black people or women.

we live in a very normal society from the standpoint of water

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

TDepressionEarl posted:

lmao people who work on trains loving love trains

in this country having a job doing something you love means you pay a care tax where you do the work of 20 people for the pay of .5 people

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
when you ignore the growing and rampant food insecurity, crumbling healthcare industry, aging population, plummeting insect populations, slow corrosion of coral reefs, blatant rise of fascism in the face of economic change, growing lack of accessible clean water, migration of refugees away from conflicts and crumbling political institutions, and so on, everything really is fine

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

If the unions are in any way involved in the train details it's probably only publicizing them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

that cancer-screening stuff was always kind of a trap bc if "preventive" exams actually find anything they're then coded as "diagnostic" & subject to that $8,000 deductible.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

yeah but that doesn't mean that the united states is not in the process of collapsing. us being normalized to poo poo falling apart doesn't mean that at some point we're not gonna have to deal with the reality that nothing loving works anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

landscaping guy I know says that mulch, of all things, is in short supply and skyrocketing in price lately. fuckin mulch lol