Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I like the part in one season 1 or 2 episode where they're looking at something weird and order Gerodi to go in to the briefing room to look at it directly with his visor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

At least that explains how everybody manages to have quarters with a window. Except for poor Data and Worf. Actually from that video maybe Geordi doesn't have windows?

Are windows that nice when 99% of the time it will functionally be the same as looking at a black piece of paper behind glasstransparent aluminum? I think I'd opt for a fake window to just make a holo impression of natural planetary landscapes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

But I want to sleep next to a structural weak point in the hull next to hard vacuum :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you gotta date someone who lives on the inner parts so whenever there's lazy phaser fire or whatever going on you can skeedaddle and wait it out in their quarters.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Brawnfire posted:

But I want to sleep next to a structural weak point in the hull next to hard vacuum :colbert:

utopia planitia has simply developed the concept of "ablative crew quarters"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

He gets promoted in the first TNG scene in Generations.

I always thought it was cruel of Geordi to lie to Data in that scene, because pushing Crusher off the side of the ship was funny as hell.

No wonder he has so much trouble with humor, poor guy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I always thought it was cruel of Geordi to lie to Data in that scene, because pushing Crusher off the side of the ship was funny as hell.

We have taught him jokes wrong, as a joke.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is why I like it in the TOS movies where you see a thousand Able Seaman falling out of their hammocks down in the ship's basement like their ship just blundered into a U-boat wolf pack

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It’s like in Starship Mine when Data’s learning small talk and everyone hates it so they pair him with the redshirt that also talks about nothing to get away from both of them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well we’re officially getting that Starfleet Academy series and it sounds like it’s set in the distant future where Disco currently takes place

https://twitter.com/startrekonpplus/status/1641485446038568961?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
For the first time in over a century? When the hell did Starfleet Academy shut down? This stinks of weird Discovery future time and I don’t like it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Arivia posted:

For the first time in over a century? When the hell did Starfleet Academy shut down? This stinks of weird Discovery future time and I don’t like it.

yeah it's a Discovery thing, the Academy on Earth shut down presumably when Earth withdrew from the Federation post-Burn, and at the beginning of S4 it's being reopened at the Federation Headquarters space station complex

Tilly leaves Discovery some time in S4 to go teach there so she's definitely going to be one of the leads

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

zoux posted:

Presumably there are dozens if not hundreds of officers that outrank them among the crew that we never see

Picard often refers to "bridge officers" or "senior staff". An archaeology commander de facto outranks a security chief lieutenant, but in all the ways that matter - pick of your quarters, prestige, who people turn to in an emergency - bridge officers/senior staff are on top of the hierarchy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Hollismason posted:

The Defiant has like 50 crew members and is like 1/4 the size of Voyager. Voyager having 140 crew doesn't make sense.
Was that their pre-Caretaker crew count? I could easily see Voyager being on a permanent skeleton crew even after the Marquis merger, and that maybe not being the normal crew load for an Intrepid-class.

Though Im guessing it's a safe bet we see more that 140 faces over the course of the show in the various background extras. They must replenish them from the shuttle dimension.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Chairman posted:

yeah it's a Discovery thing, the Academy on Earth shut down presumably when Earth withdrew from the Federation post-Burn, and at the beginning of S4 it's being reopened at the Federation Headquarters space station complex

Tilly leaves Discovery some time in S4 to go teach there so she's definitely going to be one of the leads

I am no longer interested in Star Trek Academy.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

let disco stay dead. we need the adventures of professor miles edward o'brien teaching engineering concepts with his magic school bus runabout

come on paramount return my calls you cowards

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have no general objections to the timeframe in general and it does give a hook as to why we would be interested in an Academy series at all, but if the first trailer has them solving some galactic threat or rooting out some starfleet corruption, I'm out.

There's potential for story telling to be mined from species that grew up being separated, coming together to work towards a common good. But I don't trust the show runners here.

Then again, Prodigy sounded bad on paper.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I still want to see Sisko's character arc finally resolved after 24 (?! gently caress sake, I'm getting old) years, even if Brooks isn't interested in revisiting the role.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
Give me a spinoff of Prodigy that features the gang going to Starfleet Academy with cameos from beloved TNG era characters.

I do not care to see how the folks currently helming live action Star Trek television interpret the lives of pretty, angst-filled young people that are always right.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ugh, just saw this in the ad copy.

“a new enemy that threatens both the Academy and the Federation itself.”

Goddamnit, I'm STAKES fatigued. Figure out a way to write a loving story that doesn't involve the collapse of everything.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Goddamnit, I'm STAKES fatigued. Figure out a way to write a loving story that doesn't involve the collapse of everything.

Lmao well at least I know now to keep my expectations Discolow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the showrunner's other credits (two CW shows i have not seen, nancy drew and tom swift) don't make me hopeful this will be handled well

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Say the line Bart

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

We have taught him jokes wrong, as a joke.

and by him we mean Geordi.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My bigger problem is that you are doing this show in the far future Disco era, which they just haven't made very interesting. The most interesting thing they did was having the Vulcans and Romulans sharing a homeworld. That's really it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The new enemy is the City of San Francisco and the threat is "we're tired of getting attacked, so we want to BRAC this place to Fort Ord."

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Timby posted:

The writers realized this due in part to--no joke--them getting fan mail from people writing about how horny they were for Dukat.

He faked it like Argyle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FlamingLiberal posted:

My bigger problem is that you are doing this show in the far future Disco era, which they just haven't made very interesting. The most interesting thing they did was having the Vulcans and Romulans sharing a homeworld. That's really it.

I mean, it's definitely an interesting concept to get the academy working again after 100 years and having all the new federation worlds send unique cultures to interact for the first time in a century. It's a better hook than setting it during a stable time period. I just don't have faith that they can actually explore this concept, especially since they seem to be quick to bring in an extra metaplot THAT THEY DON'T NEED.

You could easily do a 4 season show about the first academy graduates in 100 years and how they grew to integrate their own cultures into something greater. That could be the show. But no, we have to have an evil enemy bent on destroying everything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Klingons were pretty cool. I mean, complete invisibility and a vow of silence? Who saw that coming for them?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ok, maybe now?

https://twitter.com/TrondyNewman/status/1641514936210952192?s=20

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mentioned it in the other thread but tawny newsome doesn't appear to have any writing credits. anyone know if she's done anything before?

i mean she seems like a good person and all and i think she's a great voice actor, but i don't think that necessarily translates to being a good writer

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

She's a good improv actor. I know improv doesn't necessarily translate directly into good writing, but it doesn't hurt.

She's also a massive ST nerd.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

i mentioned it in the other thread but tawny newsome doesn't appear to have any writing credits. anyone know if she's done anything before?

She worked with Second City in Chicago for quite some time, and everyone at Second City is involved in the writing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I encourage everyone to go watch Bajillion Dollar Properties on PlutoTV, she's hilarious in it and I do not think that show had much of a script.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah she seems pretty good in anything i've seen her in. it's just that, also yeah, improv isn't really writing either. being good at one certainly can help the other, but that's not always the case obviously

i guess i'm not really worried about her having dumb ideas or anything though, look at the company she's going to have in that room (afaik they are mostly writers fresh off of discovery and picard). the part that kind of worries me is that they may be given some influence over LD via her lol, i think they have a pretty good opportunity to quarantine the bad writers here

...and again, it's not that tawny is a bad one anyway, i don't know. but ultimately she's just one out of an entire room

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

(afaik they are mostly writers fresh off of discovery and picard).

Discovery's writers were shifted to Starfleet Academy and Section 31 scripts when Discovery got canceled, yes. I mentioned that in this or the other thread.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Timby posted:

Discovery's writers were shifted to Starfleet Academy and Section 31 scripts when Discovery got canceled, yes. I mentioned that in this or the other thread.

yeah i thought so. admittedly i'm not sure about the picard part, i had thought i read it somewhere but i might be mistaken. i tried to look through what i'd read about this today (which is not much, the news is pretty recent) and can't find anything referencing it, so take that with a grain of salt

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i thought so. admittedly i'm not sure about the picard part, i had thought i read it somewhere but i might be mistaken. i tried to look through what i'd read about this today (which is not much, the news is pretty recent) and can't find anything referencing it, so take that with a grain of salt

This is what I said in the other thread on March 3.

Timby posted:

Nope. Story ideas for the sixth season had already been pitched. From what I've been told, Disco's writers have now been reassigned to stories and scripts for Starfleet Academy and Section 31, with Academy on the front burner because Michelle Yeoh is so busy they can't lock her down for six - eight months of shooting. Kurtzman himself is rewriting the final two episodes.

And, as we saw from today's announcement, Academy is indeed on the front burner. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it's definitely an interesting concept to get the academy working again after 100 years and having all the new federation worlds send unique cultures to interact for the first time in a century. It's a better hook than setting it during a stable time period. I just don't have faith that they can actually explore this concept, especially since they seem to be quick to bring in an extra metaplot THAT THEY DON'T NEED.

You could easily do a 4 season show about the first academy graduates in 100 years and how they grew to integrate their own cultures into something greater. That could be the show. But no, we have to have an evil enemy bent on destroying everything.

Yeah this is pretty much my take on it. Of all the ways to go with a Star Trek Academy, having it be when the Academy is just starting up again actually seems interesting. Biggest reason I've never been much of a fan of a Star Trek Academy is that it seems like it has such a high risk of just become some boring generic teen drama show, and having the Academy itself being a major point of interest seems like a good way of taking things in a more interesting direction away from that. The fact that it has a lot of the Picard/Discovery creatives and some big galaxy threatening threat is um, less good.

Way to early to completely write it off though. SNW got made and was good, so still a chance this could turn into to an interesting and good show. And as was mentioned, easy enough just to ignore it if it's not!