Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao I just remembered how Wright made “Scott and Knives get together” the original ending of the movie until bad test screening responses or something made him change it

like him dating a 17 year old is 100% a weird/creepy thing in the comics but the film really muddled that. and also turned Ramona into a damsel under Gideon’s thrall at the end compared to the books where it turns out she actually just hosed off to visit her parents and binge the x-files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is Castle Rock worth watching? I’ve read a few Stephan King books so that’s got me interested but I’ve read it was canceled? Does it work with just the two seasons?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They're not connected, each season is its own thing and I think they're both worth watching.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao I just remembered how Wright made “Scott and Knives get together” the original ending of the movie until bad test screening responses or something made him change it

like him dating a 17 year old is 100% a weird/creepy thing in the comics but the film really muddled that. and also turned Ramona into a damsel under Gideon’s thrall at the end compared to the books where it turns out she actually just hosed off to visit her parents and binge the x-files

:psyduck: Holy poo poo, was that unique to the movie? I remember being completely baffled, that plot point seemed incredibly rushed. "Why did you get back with Gideon?" "[points to mind control thingy on back of neck that is instantly never brought up again]". They wanted her to be bad-rear end and fight back with a hammer, except not TOO much, so better have her be kidnapped!

I assumed it was them trying to cram the entire comic book series into one movie, but :lmao: that it was a movie-only deus ex machina (or whatever the "bad thing happened" version of that is). That sucked rear end!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

Is Castle Rock worth watching? I’ve read a few Stephan King books so that’s got me interested but I’ve read it was canceled? Does it work with just the two seasons?

It’s not amazing but it’s super fun. If you’re interested I definitely recommend it.

Read After Burning posted:

:psyduck: Holy poo poo, was that unique to the movie? I remember being completely baffled, that plot point seemed incredibly rushed. "Why did you get back with Gideon?" "[points to mind control thingy on back of neck that is instantly never brought up again]". They wanted her to be bad-rear end and fight back with a hammer, except not TOO much, so better have her be kidnapped!

I assumed it was them trying to cram the entire comic book series into one movie, but :lmao: that it was a movie-only deus ex machina (or whatever the "bad thing happened" version of that is). That sucked rear end!

Hahaha yep, just a way of shortening things to fit into a two-hour movie. The way the graphic novels handle it is much, much better.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved Castle Rock a lot, but if you have any kind of hang-up over canon or continuity, you'll probably hate it.

That said, what it does with the world of Stephen King characters is really unique and I wish we got a third season out of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I preferred season 1 of Castle Rock by quite a long way but Lizzy Caplan’s performance in s2 is an all-timer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen Castle Rock and I only saw the first season. My memory is it’s not great but it’s a fun King fan thing filled with references, Skarsgård is super creepy and it made me form a theory that he IS the big bad in all King movies this generation, and there’s one Ana Lily Amirpour directed episode where Sissy Spacek is absolutely amazing and that one episode is worth watching the whole thing by itself. Like legitimately one of the best hours of tv I’ve ever seen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Escobarbarian posted:

Wright wrote the script before O'Malley had finished the series which imo accounts for some of the wonkiness of the ending. It has a lot of the same concepts: Nega-Scott, Gideon being defeated with a combo, Ramona being in Gideon's thrall etc, but puts them together in vastly different ways. And yeah it's what trips up the movie ultimately. Like would've been so hard to have Scott and Ramona do an X-Strike?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The comic takes place over the course of almost 2 years I think, so there's a lot slower pacing, some of the evil exes get more time, and Ramona is more of a relatable character.

The movie feels like it takes place over the course of the week and its just one fight after another.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Watching the last of us…I vaguely remember playing the games and to be honest, I liked the story more when I played the game.

I don’t remember a ton of the games and am only on episode 2, but it’s not really doing much for me yet.

Anyone else feel similar?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You can stop watching something you're not enjoying. I'm sure others felt the same, but most people enjoyed it quite a bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least watch episode 3 first. If that one doesn’t grab you, sure, feel free to drop it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm hesitating on playing the game because I already watched the show and don't think I'd enjoy the story more by seeing it again slower and having to blast people and scrounge around for shoots and ladders. The story is so directly adapted you're almost watching a well edited Let's Play of the game played by Pedro Pascal

edit: right, except episode 3 watch that before you dip, great standalone bit of television.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really liked Castle Rock. The first season ends on more of a thinker than a horror climax, which pissed a looooot of people off, but I've grown to really like that choice. The second season is more obviously crowd pleasing, and it's good but not quite as good IMO.

It's sad though, the series was clearly building to something more complicated over the course of their first two seasons but never got to pay it off. And it was such a wank, but I really like that they kept bringing in interesting character actors, like Peta Sergeant or Mamie Gummer, for thirty second cameos that were meant to set up potential plot lines in future seasons.

The two guys behind it also did Manhattan, which has my vote for one of the best shows no-one's ever heard of. They're smart guys, and write cool scripts.

ruddiger posted:

I loved Castle Rock a lot, but if you have any kind of hang-up over canon or continuity, you'll probably hate it.

That said, what it does with the world of Stephen King characters is really unique and I wish we got a third season out of it.

Fun fact, there was meant to be a third season of the show -- this one based on The Shining -- and the creators spent years after the show's cancellation trying to get it off the ground as a standalone thing. Sadly nothing happened.

STAC Goat posted:

there’s one Ana Lily Amirpour directed episode where Sissy Spacek is absolutely amazing and that one episode is worth watching the whole thing by itself. Like legitimately one of the best hours of tv I’ve ever seen.

*Greg Yaitanes. Amirpour directed the black comedy episode about the BnB owners.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Open Source Idiom posted:

*Greg Yaitanes. Amirpour directed the black comedy episode about the BnB owners.

Whoops. My bad. It’s been awhile.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Whoops. My bad. It’s been awhile.

Yeah nah man, also my bad. I've got a short(?)list of shows that I just get stupid excited to talk about. It was a pointless correction and pretty :derp: of me.

It is a really good episode of television (they both are IMO).

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Clark Gregg posted some episodes of what would have been Snowpiercer's 4th season.
I'm surprised that nobody picked it up since the last season is essentially done and ready to air from my understanding.
https://twitter.com/clarkgregg/status/1641514255722897408?s=20

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

poo poo, I must be behind on my news because I thought Snowpiercer's 4th season was merely announced as the final season, not that they were straight up gonna Zaslav the thing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I’m pretty annoyed by all this poo poo.

Same thing with the new season of Miracle Workers. God drat it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Same thing with the new season of Miracle Workers. God drat it.

Aw poo poo :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The accidental release of the first episode of Miracle Worker's fourth season probably puts the kibosh on it being written off for tax reasons. But gently caress knows what they're planning on doing with any of this stuff.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
After years of being off streaming, the newer (Maggie Q/Shane West) Nikita has resurfaced on Tubi with ads.

There's a loose case to be made that it was the forerunner of the arrowverse, and it really was punching (sotospeak) on the fight choreography

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm really enjoying Picard S3. I'm a bit surprised by that because I thought the first season was OK at best and the second season was pretty dire, but goddamn the nostalgia bait of seeing the TNG crew (mostly) back together really works for me

They kept the only interesting new character of the first two seasons and mostly ignored the silly storylines, which is great. Picard actually feels like he is written as the TNG Picard, you can tell everyone loves acting with each other again (Frakes and Dorn especially), Ed Speelers is doing a nice job in a role that should be easy to hate, and there have been some fun and unexpected cameos

I'm sure they're breaking all sorts of rules that huge Trek nerds would hate but I've found it really enjoyable so far. I did groan when Data showed up AGAIN but I have no problem in letting Brent Spiner cook so no big deal

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Paracaidas posted:

After years of being off streaming, the newer (Maggie Q/Shane West) Nikita has resurfaced on Tubi with ads.

There's a loose case to be made that it was the forerunner of the arrowverse, and it really was punching (sotospeak) on the fight choreography

It's Canadian so it's going to share like 90% of the same cast and crew like all the other Vancouver-fests.

https://www.imdb.com/search/name/?roles=tt1592154,tt2193021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's not really "Trek rules" so much as writing every character, line of dialogue, and plot point in the worst way they could muster.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Recent TV Roundup

Nathan for You s01 ruled. Just his endless willingness to escalate things, and the huge amounts of work that go into like 20 seconds of gag footage. I think maybe episode 7 counts as a clip show? But it was just schemes that failed to make an episode, and it was sandwiched between the robotic arm stunt. Top tier.

High School. Based off the Tegan & Sara autobio. Terrible name for searching online, but a really solid little show. Some excellent performances in there. Ah, man, I wanted more! Hasn't been renewed yet, which is really bumming me out.

Anyway, I'm finally getting around to The Knick.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The best Nathan for You episode is the ghost realtor!

Also I've seen "clip shows" mentioned so much the past couple of days...what in the world is that? Like I've looked up the definition and it makes sense, but I can't think of any examples, this is the first I've heard of the concept.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Also I've seen "clip shows" mentioned so much the past couple of days...what in the world is that? Like I've looked up the definition and it makes sense, but I can't think of any examples, this is the first I've heard of the concept.

They mostly died out around the late 90's/early 00's, and were more common in sci-fi than in any other genre (your favourite :P), though they were pretty common in sitcoms as well. Pretty much any version you see now is just an ironic pastiche of what's basically a dead genre, like those episodes of Community, Rick and Morty, or the Warehouse 13 series finale.

The most notable unironic example that springs to mind is the (loving terrible) series finale to the original run of The X-Files, but they were common in all sorts of show -- Star Trek did a few, Stargate turned them into a once-a-season event, All In The Family did one for both it's 100th and 200th episodes, apparently The Flash did one a few years back.

There's a decent list here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ClipShow/LiveActionTV

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Simpsons did like three of them which was my first exposure to the concept.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer
If anyone still has their Veridian Dynamics gang tag, they should check out Unstable on Netflix. It's Victor Fresco's new show, about a genius inventor and his R&D company that, among others, has a no-nonsense, hyperfocused female manager and a team of two brilliant scientists (a tall one and a shorter, socially inept one).

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Finally watching You Season 4. I don't know why I put it off, I stand by this show being legitimately great trash. It really is Dexter done right, it has a good sense of humour about itself and its characters and you feel like you are laughing with it rather than at it. I also love the way sexuality is handled in the show, lots of characters with open or queer relationships, unusual kinks etc. but none of it is played as being weird or the butt of any jokes, it makes it quite feel good despite being about a bunch of monsters and serial killers. I think the way Joe is handled can even help people look at their own behaviour and realise how things they do with good intentions are actually creepy and abusive and how you can trick yourself to believing you are the good guy.

I'm a bit over half way and looked up some casting to see who was playing the running for mayor guy, think I've accidentally spoiled myself. It says the guy plays himself and also plays Joe? I'm not sure what that means, maybe he just ghost imagines him after dying or something, but it sounds like it means there's gonna be some Fight Club style twists where it was Joe running for mayor all along, I can't imagine how thats gonna work but it should be fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^ lmao. enjoy the ride!

Jim DiGriz posted:

If anyone still has their Veridian Dynamics gang tag, they should check out Unstable on Netflix. It's Victor Fresco's new show, about a genius inventor and his R&D company that, among others, has a no-nonsense, hyperfocused female manager and a team of two brilliant scientists (a tall one and a shorter, socially inept one).

I only heard of this like 30 minutes ago. Is it good? It looked like it could be Rob Lowe tryna ape the Schitt’s Creek “do a show with your son” thing, but Fresco’s involvement piqued my interest.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jim DiGriz posted:

I wasn’t planning on watching it, but Better Off Ted is together with The Good Place my top American tv comedies, so I will give it a shot.

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^^^ lmao. enjoy the ride!

I only heard of this like 30 minutes ago. Is it good? It looked like it could be Rob Lowe tryna ape the Schitt’s Creek “do a show with your son” thing, but Fresco’s involvement piqued my interest.

It definitely has a Better off Ted vibe and very similar jokes. I like it enough 5 eps in to recommend (full disclaimer: I'm a sucker for sitcoms and I don't have anything against Rob Lowe).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nothing...?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Basically the show has run out of budget because another episode was too expensive. So they can do a bottle episode, where the whole episode takes place in one location, to save money, or to save more money, they do a clip show. The premise is always that something happens where characters need to remember things that have happened before to justify being able to show an entire scene from a previous episode. And a clip show has several of these moments. Which means they only need to film a few minutes of new content vs an entire episode.

The worst example is in Star Trek TNG where I think they did it in the second season, so there wasn't much to call back to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

The worst example is in Star Trek TNG where I think they did it in the second season, so there wasn't much to call back to.

Conversely the best example is the Clerks cartoon where they did it the second episode.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chairman Capone posted:

Conversely the best example is the Clerks cartoon where they did it the second episode.

I liked South Park's. "Now that's what I call a sticky situation!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Clip show

Huh! That definitely seems like an older concept. With today's social media focus, I actually would have assumed "Clip show" was a show designed to be consumed in short clips aimed to blow up on Tiktok and poo poo. :kiddo:

Oh god, I put that idea out into the universe now... :ohdear:

Open Source Idiom posted:

They mostly died out around the late 90's/early 00's, and were more common in sci-fi than in any other genre (your favourite :P)

:D