Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

also the unfolding narrative kchama posted is internally inconsistent. it says that the project was wiped in a malicious way that was not recoverable so they could no longer work on the project, but then they said they received a copy of the treacherous private server. which is it?

how was the server recovered? did an internal affairs agent herocially wrest a hammer away from the ironmace devil right before he was going to destroy the only copy they knew existed? or did ironmace just say yeah there was a server you permitted and knew about from the previous project you cancelled and here's the code from it for the current project cya.

According to Mr. A’s own account, when IA came for the files, he consulted his lawyer and on his lawyer’s advice wiped the server.

theres probably a billion clones being worked on right now so maybe someone can recreate the magic

i just wanted to point out even taking the snippets Kchama is posting at face value as what happened, it makes you roll your eyes. half the dev team quit so you had to cancel the project that you really genuinely wanted to work on? lol you still have half the dev team left and can backfill positions with the same budget. there's no severance they loving quit or were fired.

When the project leads who know everything about the project quit and your files disappear, it’s probably impossible to recreate it as had been greenlit. This is why P3 as it existed was cancelled and the remaining asked to work on another project.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

it says that the project was wiped in a malicious way that was not recoverable so they could no longer work on the project, but then they said they received a copy of the treacherous private server. which is it?

What Ironmace is saying is: we wiped it, didn't use it for Dark and Darker. What Nexon is saying is: but we have it, we see what you did. Each side is just posturing. Can't really go off this for anything. They say this, we say that, lawyers and the court will decide.

how was the server recovered? did an internal affairs agent herocially wrest a hammer away from the ironmace devil right before he was going to destroy the only copy they knew existed?

This is a lot of what the main stuff is: what was recovered. Nexon is arguing that Ironmace had a private server Nexon allowed for a partial part of development, but then disallowed. Then Nexon said, no, shut it down, which Ironmace did not.

Also, as an aside, that kind of embellishment isn't necessary and just distracts. Nexon and it's defenders could say they rushed in and heroically defended the last vestments of the remaining virtues of their blessed sovereignty and it would play as much as that poo poo you are putting out.

I'm impartial, almost leaning towards to Ironmace because I want to play Dark and Darker (gently caress, I made this thread) but that embellishment doesn't do any justice other than to try and sway one side against another.

did ironmace just say yeah there was a server you permitted and knew about from the previous project you cancelled and here's the code from it for the current project cya.

That's a chunk of this. Ironmace is saying that they stopped developing after told not to, Nexon is saying they didn't. Insider info from an anonymous source is being released that says Ironmace did not stop developing off that. Ironmace is even saying they continued to develop on the private server because the poo poo Nexon developed wasn't good enough (that's from their Discord Q&A). Nexon is arguing they said stop developing on private server and created an atmosphere that allowed home development while still letting that development exist on Nexon servers. Nexon is saying Ironmace didn't do that and just continued with private server development.

That's just what both sides are saying. Completely impartial, I don't give a gently caress other than I want to play Dark and Darker, get off my nuts if you don't like how it plays, either way.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Kchama posted:

A Korean site called 'Blind' that people use to anonymously air stuff. Another employee on the LF/P3 team talked about what happened.

I realize this isn't Debate and Discussion, but come on man, that's not a source, that's one step above something you heard a dude say while you were on the shitter at a bus station. Even if it wasn't anonymous it's from someone who is self reporting as an employee at the plaintiff company.

(As an aside it occurs to me that an employee leaking internal info about this case on an unsecured shitpost website is probably almost as bad as an employee using expired authorization to justify hosting an unsecured offsite work server, but weirdly, one of these is a sign of bad ethics and the other is a rock solid source? But I digress.)

But ok, you're going to take an anonymous shitpost at face value to defend this very specific large corporation that does not need your help for no real reason at all but your sense of... fairness? Duty to truth? A half dozen posts in this thread on the same theme, none prior to this incident? That's a lot of uncompensated labor, comrade.

As long as I live I will never understand the impulse of a free born human being in TYOOL 2023 to hop on the internet to defend the honor of any large corporation, billionaire, or government agency vs the little person. Further, I just can't imagine being a game enthusiast of any kind and seeing the world get one less cool fun game that hundreds of thousands of people are very excited about, at the behest of a giant corporation, and being anything other than extremely skeptical about the motives and/or angry.

Like if you lack any reflexive cynicism about this kind of poo poo after everything that happens in our world every single day, let alone the earliest history of computers and the internet, to the point where you feel compelled to do free PR for your laird Nexon Corporation, I guess you've got an extremely resilient sense of something or other that must have fled my brain long since.

Oh and let's get a link to this post too, Google Translate makes reading this poo poo pretty easy and I'd love to see the evidence laid out from this Nexon Deep Throat risking their career and maybe a fine or prison sentence or whatever for leaking inside info about an active police investigation and DMCA suit.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Franks Happy Place posted:

I realize this isn't Debate and Discussion, but come on man, that's not a source, that's one step above something you heard a dude say while you were on the shitter at a bus station. Even if it wasn't anonymous it's from someone who is self reporting as an employee at the plaintiff company.

(As an aside it occurs to me that an employee leaking internal info about this case on an unsecured shitpost website is probably almost as bad as an employee using expired authorization to justify hosting an unsecured offsite work server, but weirdly, one of these is a sign of bad ethics and the other is a rock solid source? But I digress.)

But ok, you're going to take an anonymous shitpost at face value to defend this very specific large corporation that does not need your help for no real reason at all but your sense of... fairness? Duty to truth? A half dozen posts in this thread on the same theme, none prior to this incident? That's a lot of uncompensated labor, comrade.

As long as I live I will never understand the impulse of a free born human being in TYOOL 2023 to hop on the internet to defend the honor of any large corporation, billionaire, or government agency vs the little person. Further, I just can't imagine being a game enthusiast of any kind and seeing the world get one less cool fun game that hundreds of thousands of people are very excited about, at the behest of a giant corporation, and being anything other than extremely skeptical about the motives and/or angry.

Like if you lack any reflexive cynicism about this kind of poo poo after everything that happens in our world every single day, let alone the earliest history of computers and the internet, to the point where you feel compelled to do free PR for your laird Nexon Corporation, I guess you've got an extremely resilient sense of something or other that must have fled my brain long since.

Oh and let's get a link to this post too, Google Translate makes reading this poo poo pretty easy and I'd love to see the evidence laid out from this Nexon Deep Throat risking their career and maybe a fine or prison sentence or whatever for leaking inside info about an active police investigation and DMCA suit.

As I said, I am not advocating one way or another about it, I am simply reporting what it said. It is Nexon's/Nexon's Employee Account of what's going on, which is good to lay out since we've basically heard nothing from their POV. People who have dug into it deeper (such as Kira) has confirmed that it jives with the reporting in Korea on the topic, so there's some merit to the anonymous sourcing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i appreciate relaying korean shitposts on the internet

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I really hate to say this because I want to play dark and darker but some blind site is also where this entire shitfest was first reported before it became real news, back before the last playtest iirc

so while you're otherwise right to be skeptical, this uh, has happened before

regardless: all you're gonna hear is rampant speculation until the case is over and/or we somehow get a playtest in spite of it, so like, don't stress over it or what the speculators are saying

expect that dark n darker is dead, hope that it isn't

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

i appreciate relaying korean shitposts on the internet

Quantifying it as a 'shitpost' seems pretty disingenuous, to be honest. Yeah sure it's anonymous, but stuff has come out to support it and Nexon's probably not giving the greenlight for its employees to speak openly about it with the court case going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24g-JV82Zok

Here's a video from a Dark & Darker fanboy who delves into things deeply.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I mean the biggest red flag for me is that they clearly still have some access to the game/code but just scrapped it until the last second when they saw the playtests were going to make the game profitable for Ironmace. They are just in it for the money. Sure they brought a lawsuit against the guy in 2021, but they didn't even attempt to salvage the project. Clearly they didn't have that much faith in it or they would have tried to continue developing it. For that reason alone I don't really support their case and hope Ironmace wins. They had faith in the idea they wanted to create, and seemingly they were the only people capable of making it anyway, so I consider it theirs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Akumos posted:

I mean the biggest red flag for me is that they clearly still have some access to the game/code but just scrapped it until the last second when they saw the playtests were going to make the game profitable for Ironmace. They are just in it for the money. Sure they brought a lawsuit against the guy in 2021, but they didn't even attempt to salvage the project. Clearly they didn't have that much faith in it or they would have tried to continue developing it. For that reason alone I don't really support their case and hope Ironmace wins. They had faith in the idea they wanted to create, and seemingly they were the only people capable of making it anyway, so I consider it theirs.

According to the blind post, it had been in early alpha and all the major devs on it left. How do you salvage something when the core team members are all gone? That's a sincere question. The main people left behind seemed to be animators and artists.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Absolutely everything we have is from anonymous sources, other than claims from the two companies involved, which are just claims. You can like this company, you can like that company and that's gonna affect your opinion. You shouldn't be getting upset at anyone who is just talking about the information we all have. All anyone here is talking about is what we are hearing from any source.

You all can dial back the getting upset about this person saying this or that that I don't agree with. This is all very interesting to watch and I'm curious how its gonna play out.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Both companies are lying to make themselves seem better. All of this is real sad because this could be an awesome game, and it will never see the light of day now. Regardless who is right or wrong, Nexon will bleed out Ironmace.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kchama posted:

According to the blind post, it had been in early alpha and all the major devs on it left. How do you salvage something when the core team members are all gone? That's a sincere question. The main people left behind seemed to be animators and artists.

I mean, what credibility does that post have? I'm unfamiliar with Blind, so should we be believing it or could anyone absolutely post anything there? They post seemed very in depth and acknowledged several points, which lends a bit of credibility. And why would someone go though that effort to mimic that, but at the same time, could it just be the Korean me or you posting that?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if they still have the assets and code and design documents, you...hire employees to continue the project

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Reporting information is not defending Nexxon Jesus Christ get a grip goons.

I want to play D&D too but it's all gonna be rumor and heresay until things play out. Feel free to remain skeptical of any and all information but don't transfer your feelings about the situation onto some poor dude and come out swining implying he's a nexxon scab or something.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Right, all that Kchama did was present a side that had not been talked about until now, and it's got some play. The information could be wrong or right, but until now, the main sentiment has been "Ironmace good, Nexon bad". Let's just be impartial until we shouldn't be. That subreddit is full of just poo poo posting about Nexon trying to trademark absolutely everything fantasy related, from swords to character sprites, and it turns out that it isn't any of their case.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

if they still have the assets and code and design documents, you...hire employees to continue the project

How much of that design did they have? We can't be sure of how much of it was in the private server of Mr. A or on the Nexon servers. What it seems is that the main designers of it worked on it via the private server, during COVID, and Mr. A did not transfer it to Nexon when Nexon made their servers available? Am I just misreading that? If some of it was, sure, but how much of it?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
If you want to post links to Korean legal documents or actual journalism or whatever confirmed information fill your boots, I'm just saying that an anonymous post from a Nexon employee on the topic is basically as credible as a mod post in the Ironmace forum, and that you should probably be less credulous when it comes to big corporations in general anyways because they are the thief of fun.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

even if hypothetically you don't have the design documents b/c the ironmace employees were total assholes, it really doesn't matter if you had a compilable game and the source for the decision to continue the project. as far as i understand game design, once you have a working prototype with any semblance of fun you should just throw the original design documents in the trash where they belong. halo was originally envisioned as...an rts game.

if nexon had the code and still decided not to continue the project, then they really were not invested in the idea it's as simple as that. yes corporate bureaucracies can make hiring or backfilling stupidly inflexible but that's not ironmace's problem.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

even if hypothetically you don't have the design documents b/c the ironmace employees were total assholes, it really doesn't matter if you had a compilable game and the source for the decision to continue the project. as far as i understand game design, once you have a working prototype with any semblance of fun you should just throw the original design documents in the trash where they belong. halo was originally envisioned as...an rts game.

if nexon had the code and still decided not to continue the project, then they really were not invested in the idea it's as simple as that. yes corporate bureaucracies can make hiring or backfilling stupidly inflexible but that's not ironmace's problem.

We don't know if they have the code at all is the problem, and it seems like the issue is that he kept the code on his private server at home, and when he made it clear he intended to quit to make his own game at his company, IA showed up asking about the fact that he still apparently still had a home server, and he deleted it at the instruction of his lawyer (this is something from the lead dev's own words that Ironmace put out).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Right, all that Kchama did was present a side that had not been talked about until now, and it's got some play. The information could be wrong or right, but until now, the main sentiment has been "Ironmace good, Nexon bad". Let's just be impartial until we shouldn't be. That subreddit is full of just poo poo posting about Nexon trying to trademark absolutely everything fantasy related, from swords to character sprites, and it turns out that it isn't any of their case.

no need to be impartial about loving nexon lmfao

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm curious what they are gonna try and trademark in court and what sticks. I was thinking about this as I was reading or listening to everything and if a game is this: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ and you put out ABCDEFFFGHIJKLMMMMNOPQRSTUVWWWXYZ, can you contest the original? Assuming all the info we know now. These guys previously worked for this company and this project. The original alphabet vs the new one, is that enough?

Even if ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ is known way before. Everyone knows a fantasy looter extractor is good and gonna sell. You do, I do, but do the guys that did ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ first have a claim?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's equivalent to saying your employees designing your next suv can't be poached to build a competitor's suv or you'll sue them under bullshit noncompete clauses.

medieval tarkov isn't exactly an outlandish idea that deserves monopoly rights and there's been a bunch of tarkov-likes made already. and tarkov's closed beta is 6 years old now.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
yea but if you put out a land rover and I put out a range rover? Whats really the difference?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

it's equivalent to saying your employees designing your next suv can't be poached to build a competitor's suv or you'll sue them under bullshit noncompete clauses.

medieval tarkov isn't exactly an outlandish idea that deserves monopoly rights and there's been a bunch of tarkov-likes made already. and tarkov's closed beta is 6 years old now.
Medieval Tarkov isn't an outlandish idea, but the issue in Korea is not that they made Medieval Tarkov, but it's that they made P3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Nexon should be shuttered permanently personally.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm curious who the secret people investing in Ironmace are, I heard it was some Nexon competitor. Maybe they can fund the legal issues, esp after seeing the likely success of the game? Surely they must have some good skin in the game now, like 15-25% at least of the company, I doubt Ironmace could afford to start a studio and do publishing and development without giving a portion of the company to investors.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Akumos posted:

I'm curious who the secret people investing in Ironmace are, I heard it was some Nexon competitor. Maybe they can fund the legal issues, esp after seeing the likely success of the game? Surely they must have some good skin in the game now, like 15-25% at least of the company, I doubt Ironmace could afford to start a studio and do publishing and development without giving a portion of the company to investors.

Hive IM seems to be the big one. There were apparently other, less secret investors like TenCent, but they all abandoned Ironmace to the wolves the moment it became clear that Nexon had a good case.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I think Nexon should be shuttered permanently personally.

I hate Nexon too, but trying to be worse than them isn't the way to go. (I'm referring to Ironmace here, not you.)

Kchama fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 31, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ironmace did nothing wrong

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
They just made this announcement on discord asking for legal funding, apparently without even consulting the other devs:

Kinda questionable to crowdfund massive legal fees that likely won't make a difference, and makes them seem desperate now, assuming this isn't just a scam.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 31, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Yikes!!!!!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

game dead, so what

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Post got deleted, I assume it wasn't PR friendly or may hurt their case.. whoops. With that said they raised 40k in like a half hour, they probably could crowdfund the legal fees.

Edit: Nm it's back, apparently rogue discord mods decided it might be a hack and deleted the devs post :laffo:

Akumos fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 31, 2023

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

lol. lmao, even

e: the hacked(???) message's 2nd post is still up, seemingly not getting deleted. wonder what's going on behind the scenes. what a loving mess

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 1, 2023

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The gofundme campaign is now down lmao

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Holy hell what a poo poo show. Lmao indeed.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dead and Deader

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh my god I just wanted to bonk heads and loot gold this is wrong it’s all wrong.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
What the hell

Looks like the go fund me was confirmed by other devs though

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 1, 2023

Frakas
Mar 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The dream is dead.

E: :wtc:

quote:

Hello @everyone!

This morning an announcement was posted regarding a GoFundMe link to support Ironmace.
The GoFundMe link is legitimate, however it was to be used later if necessary.
It was posted this morning without approval due to a passionate member of the team taking matters into his own hands.
We have currently paused the campaign for now as it was prematurely announced.
We appreciate the enormous amount of support shown in such a little amount of time!
We are very sorry for the confusion and will take the proper steps to resolve this within the next few hours.
We will make another announcement  on how the GoFundMe will be handled.
Thank you all very much!