Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1641440477718388739

They got the whole drat cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World back for the anime adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bussamove posted:

The Lackadaisy pilot was promising but also a lot of “it’s fine”. The rough sketches being visible a lot felt weird, and there was also a weird lack of music so a lot of scenes felt unusually silent when you’re used to that sort of thing. The cajun siblings were just as much of a treat to hear as they were to read, solid choices there for casting.

But it has SungWon Cho in it so naturally I want more.

yeah, i feel like i should read it more. id probably get it more. it was fun though.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also

They got the whole drat cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World back for the anime adaptation.

nice. i wanted to like scott pilgrim but never read the comic and the movie was bad.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I've never read Lackadaisy, but this pilot (and Hazbin's too, for that matter) feel like you're already supposed to be familiar with and in love with these characters, so I was just really bored throughout. Also the pacing was so weird that none of the jokes landed for me.

That said, incredible artistry all over at every level. I love seeing animation done to actual VOICE actors. SungWon Cho was great as always, and I'm happy to see Malcolm Ray getting some work outside of Nostalgia Critic. That action sequence (while still having those weird pacing issues in it) was really well done.

This, Helluva Boss, and Hazbin make me hopeful for a positive direction for animation, except for the part where I'm 80% sure the artists are getting underpaid (because that's been the non-union industry for at least a decade now lol).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i feel like i should read it more. id probably get it more. it was fun though.

nice. i wanted to like scott pilgrim but never read the comic and the movie was bad.

The movie is something of a flawed masterpiece. Visually and stylistically phenomenal with a stellar cast and a great soundtrack... that tries to cram 6 entire books worth of content into 2 hours and kind of fails miserably at it, especially after front-loading the first 30 minutes with basically all of Book 1 and then sprinting like mad to get through the remaining five as fast as it can once the premise of the film is finally unveiled.

Hopefully with a full season-length anime they can take the time needed to devote to fully realizing each of the books in a little more depth this time.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

nine-gear crow posted:

Also

I am stoked for everything about this :allears: Science SARU did Keep Your Hands Off Of Eizouken, my favorite anime of 2020, and their stuff is legit

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I always thought the core concept of Scott Pilgrim was weird and kind of off putting since it's basically just "some dude murders a bunch of people so he can feel confident enough to date a girl", but it seemed to vibe with a lot of other people so I'm glad they're getting a fun new cartoon to enjoy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I always thought the core concept of Scott Pilgrim was weird and kind of off putting since it's basically just "some dude murders a bunch of people so he can feel confident enough to date a girl", but it seemed to vibe with a lot of other people so I'm glad they're getting a fun new cartoon to enjoy.

It's essentially about him dealing with his current gf having baggage, isn't it? But he's kind of toxic and the fighting ends up being part of that.

Going off the film, which is the only version I'm familiar with, the exes essentially start the whole thing too, so beyond the metaphor it's basically just ethical self-defence.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I mean...sure, but if you take that view point the first Mario is just "Plumber massacres woodland creatures to recover a kidnapping victim". So basically Taken.

The rules of the Scott Pilgrim universe are just old school video games. Enemies turn into coins or power ups. Though yes, everyone in that story is a terrible person and that's the point.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Going off the film, which is the only version I'm familiar with, the exes essentially start the whole thing too, so beyond the metaphor it's basically just ethical self-defence.

Kinda. Scott's a dead-end gently caress boy who needs to not be such a massive piece of poo poo. The exes are all also equally terrible people who were bad for Ramona in various ways and reasons. Gideon is a massive stalker and control freak who orchestrates the whole thing. Everyone in the story is lovely in one way or another and a big "point" of the story is to grow, be better, and learn to deal with your past in healthy ways.

The movie changes the ending for the better with Scott just kinda accepting things and moving forward to start again in a healthy way instead of simply "winning the girl".

Ultimately Scott Pilgrim vs The World's thesis is: "If you identify with, or recognize yourself in, any of these characters...change".

Crain fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 30, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the core message of the books is ultimately that scott's a dick

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

nine-gear crow posted:

Also

Hopefully they actually do all the interpersonal drama that makes it a good story, rather then just speed running the "fights" which are not nearly as important in the volumes. Also the whole arc of book 4

And a good reminder to get out your music source of choice and play some Metric.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not a tremendous fan of it (although the film has some fun scenes and great cast) but the original work is way more open about Scott being the cause of a lot of his own problems and the whole concept of a quest to beat up "evil exes" is just shrugging off having to confront how much of a piece of poo poo he was in his own past/present. He's a dude who is "questing" for a gal while also keeping open the option of hey, maybe this teenager??? without going too far into spoilers on where this adaptation might go if it's faithful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

For what it's worth, O'Malley has since come out and said that none of the Evil Exes actually died when they were defeated, just teleported back to wherever they came from originally no worse for wear aside from whatever damage they took in the fight and some bruised egos. Maybe the anime might incorporate that, who knows.

There was also at one point going to be a twist ending where Scott was literally just a stone cold serial killer and the books were his psychosis rationalizing his actions and yeah he was on the run for just murdering eight people in cold blood because he fell in love with Ramona and decided to slay everyone else who ever loved her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, that's definitely better off abandoned, because the Scott who appears in the books is clearly too self-absorbed to put in a huge amount of effort murdering people he's never even met.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

There was also at one point going to be a twist ending where Scott was literally just a stone cold serial killer and the books were his psychosis rationalizing his actions and yeah he was on the run for just murdering eight people in cold blood because he fell in love with Ramona and decided to slay everyone else who ever loved her.

Ooof. Dodged a bullet there.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I like hearing about those silly, dark alternate endings. A window to what could have been before a good second opinion. Like Clerks ending with Dante getting killed by a robber or the torture machine idea for Breaking Bad's first season.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

secretly best girl posted:

He's a dude who is "questing" for a gal while also keeping open the option of hey, maybe this teenager??? without going too far into spoilers on where this adaptation might go if it's faithful.

Chau was a 17 and still in high school while Scott was 23...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

.Z. posted:

Chau was a 17 and still in high school while Scott was 23...

Yeah that's the point I'm making is he was a dirtbag...? He's going for Ramona but also at points going "Oh, but you know, Knives is right here..."

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah that's the point I'm making is he was a dirtbag...? He's going for Ramona but also at points going "Oh, but you know, Knives is right here..."

I'm still Trigun brained over here and I swear to you I did a double take before it clicked.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sorry I was parsing the "teenager???" bit about being unclear on her age.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As notes on the staff: Wright is only an EP so he may not be involved at all creatively. O'Malley is writing it so I assume things will get updated and revised for tyool 2023 as 2004-2010 is basically eons ago culturally. The director is new. This is his biggest project since his Star Wars Visions piece (T0-B1). His background is animation though so I imagine O'Malley would also assist with storyboards and such while the director just translates it for animation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flopsy posted:

I'm still Trigun brained over here and I swear to you I did a double take before it clicked.

Now there's an interesting fanfic

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It is kind of interesting to think of a Japanese modern take on this given how laser-focused the comic was on the sensibility of a person who grew up in a very specific band of media.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Xelkelvos posted:

so I assume things will get updated and revised for tyool 2023 as 2004-2010 is basically eons ago culturally.
the approach best matches the 2020s zeitgeist is to give it the FF7 Remake treatment where the timeline is fractured and various Scotts and Gideons and what have you are battling it out amongst infinite Ramonas in the multiverse

not saying that's what's gonna happen but 🤔

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

the approach best matches the 2020s zeitgeist is to give it the FF7 Remake treatment where the timeline is fractured and various Scotts and Gideons and what have you are battling it out amongst infinite Ramonas in the multiverse

Make a Nega Gideon to go along with Nega Scott, just a dude who's really cool and chill and really fun to hang out with and just shows up to vibe with Scott and the gang while actual Gideon constantly plots their downfall elsewhere.

No wait, I basically just described Comeau. Comeau is Nega Gideon, poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

kidcoelacanth posted:

the core message of the books is ultimately that scott's a dick

Yeah spoilers for the last book but Scott ends up looking back at like all the big moments in his life and realizing that he is a jerk and a bully and really just the biggest goddamn rear end in a top hat around and has to come to terms with that and it would be really nice if the anime sticks closer to the comic *especially* the final volume.

Sivart13 posted:

Nothing should ever get the FF7 Remake treatment. :argh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The “anime” had better be a mid 2000s rear end sprite comic animation using the game characters or I riot. Get the Bob and George guy to go it.

Hell, where’s my Ruby Spears Presents: Bob and George show?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I really liked the voices from Scott Pilgrim vs The Animation, and I think it fit rear end in a top hat slacker Scott who thinks he's hot poo poo because he's in a band better, but I guess the movie cast is iconic for most people, also Michael Cera has shown he can play a real rear end in a top hat real well in Molly's Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqmimK80duA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6MMAM6mcEo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Assepoester posted:

I really liked the voices from Scott Pilgrim vs The Animation, and I think it fit rear end in a top hat slacker Scott who thinks he's hot poo poo because he's in a band better, but I guess the movie cast is iconic for most people

The cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation IS the movie cast though :confused: That's literally just Michael Cera, Mae Whitman, Allison Pill and Jason Schwartzman...

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

So Scott Pilgrim was, for better or for worse, my favourite thing back in highschool (yes I'm young).

I looooved the comics, and I was (am) a huge Edgar Wright fan. When the film came out I was at the cinema gawking at the screen, in a complete parallel to Knives' experience meeting the band in the first scene.
I proceeded to be obsessed with it for the next few years, listening to the music and rewatching the movie a dozen times.

I eventually cooled off on the movie for the reasons mentioned (second act is bad, just speedrunning through the books, much of the core message diluted).

I love Science Saru and I hope they can correct the issues with the movie and that O'Malley can update the sensibilities for 2023, and that Wright does have some influence.

In other words:

Hopefully they stick the landing!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Bussamove posted:

The Lackadaisy pilot was promising but also a lot of “it’s fine”. The rough sketches being visible a lot felt weird, and there was also a weird lack of music so a lot of scenes felt unusually silent when you’re used to that sort of thing. The cajun siblings were just as much of a treat to hear as they were to read, solid choices there for casting.

But it has SungWon Cho in it so naturally I want more.

I feel like the background art was really the standout, because the boarding ended up making some of the dialogue scenes feel like you're staring at the same shot for too long, and not being able to creatively break up some of the monologuing, or using some aspect-to-aspect transitions that don't even need a lot of animation so you're not having to spend huge amounts of labor on dialogue and lip-sync or character animation, when you can instead use some layouts or prop closeups to establish mood, etc. Anime and manga are quite good at this kind of thing, and it's honestly a great way to give both visual interest and be efficient as a production. The action scene was boarded well, but the music didn't kick in until way too late, and overall the sound didn't quite make it for me.

The stylized dialogue for this is very theatrical and stagey, which I think tripped up the actors because for a few of them it feels like they are saying the lines in a recital more than something organic or feeling in-the-scene, which undersells things because the actors don't feel like they're embodying the physicality of what the characters are doing. Yes, some are reciting poems, but it feels like that cadence never actually changes from that. In particular, Rocky's actor needs to express more range for the character so there's different levels of mania as opposed to the tempo he keeps throughout, like he needs to really key in on doing some variation in timing and delivery so it's not the same meter the whole way through. This might come down to the acting direction not having a sense of timing or getting the characters to work off of each other effectively. It makes some of the gags fall flat, like the one where he falls mid-vowel after the really long boring poem, it felt like it was recorded out of context so the fall doesn't really -land- or feel like an interruption, like it was a separate fall sound they added in after. There's a bunch of moments where these kinds of problems kill a few gags.

The animation is a bit hit or miss depending on who handled what shot. The problem with keeping the construction lines in the style is that not all the animators on the project appear to animate or clean up that way, with some of the characters having a very piecemeal kind of inbetweening where the animator is re-using body parts rather than drawing or even just doing a traceback after using the body parts for the pose.

It wasn't anywhere near bad, but it really really needed some tightening up and some sound work.

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 31, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

The cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation IS the movie cast though :confused: That's literally just Michael Cera, Mae Whitman, Allison Pill and Jason Schwartzman...
:thejoke:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Michael Cera was always the week point of Scott Pilgrim for me. He doesn’t look right, and his weedy nerd voice annoys me as Scott. Ironically, the Young Neil actor Johnny Simmons would have been a perfect Scott.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Michael Cera was always the week point of Scott Pilgrim for me. He doesn’t look right, and his weedy nerd voice annoys me as Scott. Ironically, the Young Neil actor Johnny Simmons would have been a perfect Scott.

Yeah, Scott always felt more to me like hyperactive moron which Cera didn't pull off as well as I would have liked. He does come off better in Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation, so maybe it'll work better here.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I didn't really think about Cera's performance as Scott as bad until I read the books, and yeah he's nothing like comic Scott. Just the average Cera character, really.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Let’s sub our Cera for Cena. Change nothing else.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Neeksy posted:

I feel like the background art was really the standout

It never gets enough praise but I am constantly in awe at how good a lot of modern cartoon backgrounds look. Lackadaisy backgrounds looked incredible, Helluva Boss has gorgeous background, Rick and Morty has extremely detailed backgrounds that look amazing, Steven Universe had these beautiful painterly backgrounds, etc. The people that do the backgrounds of animated shows do not get enough credit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lackadaisy getting praise from some pretty cool sources.

https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1641637817523613698

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Macaluso posted:

It never gets enough praise but I am constantly in awe at how good a lot of modern cartoon backgrounds look. Lackadaisy backgrounds looked incredible, Helluva Boss has gorgeous background, Rick and Morty has extremely detailed backgrounds that look amazing, Steven Universe had these beautiful painterly backgrounds, etc. The people that do the backgrounds of animated shows do not get enough credit

Bob's Burger's are some of my favorite BGs in animation.

Boarders are definitely treated as the rock stars of animation production, but I honestly do love layout. Because no one really gives a poo poo about it and it can get really complex, what I draw almost always ends up on screen and I can sneak all sorts of weird poo poo and jokes in there. The best/worst was that awful Wonder Park show where the support completely fell out halfway through and I just started jamming Communist propaganda into everything I did. No one cared or caught it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dawgstar posted:

Lackadaisy getting praise from some pretty cool sources.

https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi/status/1641637817523613698

Huh, I don't know why I thought he was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I've always been really impressed by animation backgrounds. Often times they're just gorgeous paintings or drawings that only stay on the screen for like two seconds at most and then disappear, which always seemed like a bit of a shame to me.