Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hey, you know what game didn't reuse a map? Zelda 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Hey, you know what game didn't reuse a map? Zelda 2.

It was just transposed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I mean, it's not surprising. Everyone in the game wants to gently caress Link and it's not subtle.

Robbie definitely wants to gently caress that oven

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

It was just transposed

Jk though I like Zelda 2

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Robbie definitely wants to gently caress that oven

can you blame him really

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Zelda 1 map was absolutely in Zelda 2.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I imagine you’d be able to find one on launch day if you head to your local Target/Best Buy/Walmart. I remember when BOTW came out and I wasn’t able to preorder the special edition with the case and stuff but I sent my wife to Target on launch day and they had a few.

Word, I'll have to try my luck that way!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lol what is this from?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lol what is this from?

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My favorite Zelda game is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Augus posted:

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Yeah I should have just searched before asking. I also just found the reddit post. I found another that points out the Zelda 1 map is in Link to the Past as well. Basically the Northwest quadrant. Well sort of.

I did just have something pulled up that looked like something more official from Nintendo saying that yes, that area was where Link had his first quest, but I lost it. But that's pretty neat and it gives a new perception of the scale and shows it's more than just an Easter egg.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Although I think the Link to the Past thing is off most obviously because the Lost Woods aren't in that section of the map at all. I think it's just a similarity and not the same as "the first quest was here which is a small part of this bigger world." But looks like that actually was supposed to be the case for Zelda 2 ? I never knew.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Cartoon Man posted:

The Barbarian armor is the only thing we have that tells us what the Zonai might have looked like.

this is also where the theory that the ancient hero 10,000 years ago was Zonai, because the red "hair" and tusks / horn on the helm here match the ancient hero on the tapestry

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does this mean there was a Zonai Link or is it only Link when Hylians get the Hero virus

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It could just mean the ancients who made that tapestry was Zonai and used Zonai iconography. If that's what that is.

I think that's actually Knuckles from Sonic.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm still betting it was the Zonai who dealt with Ganon 10,000 years previously, and then got betrayed by the Hylian Royal Family because they tend to be shitheads like that. Also that Ancient Sheikah tech is a lovely knockoff attempt at Zonai constructs made afterwards that were never actually used for real, which is why Ganon could take them over.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Icedude posted:

I'm still betting it was the Zonai who dealt with Ganon 10,000 years previously, and then got betrayed by the Hylian Royal Family because they tend to be shitheads like that. Also that Ancient Sheikah tech is a lovely knockoff attempt at Zonai constructs made afterwards that were never actually used for real, which is why Ganon could take them over.

"Nah, why would we need a firewall? Who's going to be connecting except authorised slate users?"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Knowing the curse of Ganon is eternal, the Zonai abandon the surface world. They then make spaceships and abandon the Skyworld too. You must find the Stargate to travel to their homeworld. Link gets a spacesuit.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Khanstant posted:

Is the special edition of the game with the book and everything sold out forever or something likely to restock?

:siren:

https://a.co/d/aBMtvC4

:siren:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Unavailable?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tokelau All Star posted:

Five gourmet meats cooked sells for 490 rupees. Run around the Tabantha Snowfield hunting wildlife a couple of times, and you'll be rich. Cooking five prime meats gives you a decent stack too.

There’s that guy at one of the stables who buys raw gourmet meat for 100 rupees each, and I think that gets you more money per ingredient. However he only buys a few at a time, so I have to consider that.

I was wondering more about there being a trick to making money with the various ingredients that I already have.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
When I need rupees I just do the bowling game. You net 280 rupees for a strike and it's snow easy to get most every time if you look up the right place to drop your rock.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I have two preorders for the CE: one online order from the initial rush, and one for a lucky in-store pickup slot. No one else I know wants it, so I plan on selling it for what I spent. I could, in theory, change the shipping address on it so it goes straight to someone else, but I can’t imagine most people would be comfortable with that. Likely gonna let it arrive so I can show proof.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Knowing the curse of Ganon is eternal, the Zonai abandon the surface world. They then make spaceships and abandon the Skyworld too. You must find the Stargate to travel to their homeworld. Link gets a spacesuit.

This would rule if done well though.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Maybe that's where the moon's tear in Majora's Mask comes from :tinfoil:

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

WarpDogs posted:

this is also where the theory that the ancient hero 10,000 years ago was Zonai, because the red "hair" and tusks / horn on the helm here match the ancient hero on the tapestry

I'd like to see an event where the reincarnation of Ganon refuses to accept his evil heritage so his demon "spirit" attempts to split from Ganon. In order to stop the split, Ganon gives himself over to the Zonai/Sheikah/etc to "seal" his form in order to prevent that from happening. Ganon is placed into stasis indefinitely and hidden under Hyrule Castle for thousands of years...

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just want to bomb some dodongos

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I also thought of the "Sheikah stole Zonai tech, rewrote history to make themselves the heroes and don't fully understand their own devices" but I can't think of a time where the Sheikah are ever inferred to be nefarious. BotW makes them out to be universally good. To suddenly retcon that seems a bit disingenuous.

Yet (!), I fully support that the Hero from the tapestry is a Zonai warrior. I think tapestry warrior having red hair has always been a bit of a tip off to something and wasn't just artistic flare. Hell, maybe it's the same tapestry Hero's hand that kept Ganon sealed away all these years (and ultimately Link's fate, too?)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WarpDogs posted:

this bothered me even when I was a kid

I think it's the coolest thing to revisit an area of a previous game in a new one, but it almost never happens. The rare times it does, the new area often looks nothing like the previous one, likely due to the problem of there being new engine or artists or designers or programmers

so in a lot of ways Tears of the Kingdom is already the coolest video game ever made

I remember downloading the Japanese ROM for Pokemon Gold/Silver (before the game actually came out in the west) and thinking it was the coolest thing ever how you return to the towns from Red/Blue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'd assume a calamity or their own hubris collapsed whatever empire and level of magic tech they had.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Icedude posted:

This is a cool theory and I kind of hope it's the case.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FooF posted:

I also thought of the "Sheikah stole Zonai tech, rewrote history to make themselves the heroes and don't fully understand their own devices" but I can't think of a time where the Sheikah are ever inferred to be nefarious. BotW makes them out to be universally good. To suddenly retcon that seems a bit disingenuous.

Yet (!), I fully support that the Hero from the tapestry is a Zonai warrior. I think tapestry warrior having red hair has always been a bit of a tip off to something and wasn't just artistic flare. Hell, maybe it's the same tapestry Hero's hand that kept Ganon sealed away all these years (and ultimately Link's fate, too?)

The Shadow Temple is kinda presented as "the place that Sheikah tortured and executed the enemies of the Royal Family" so it wouldn't be entirely out of place for them to have some bad elements.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WarpDogs posted:

this bothered me even when I was a kid

I think it's the coolest thing to revisit an area of a previous game in a new one, but it almost never happens. The rare times it does, the new area often looks nothing like the previous one, likely due to the problem of there being new engine or artists or designers or programmers

so in a lot of ways Tears of the Kingdom is already the coolest video game ever made

I'll go further.

Any time I see you tubers or the like talking about how this should be DLC? (Now again, it could come out, and they could, possibly be right. They won't be, but you know it, it's still a possibility.) I know they don't know what the hell they're talking about it. It's obvious that map asset stuff will used again, but we're talking about a sequel to the GOAT. It being similar but improving (and what they've shown is exactly that) is a good thing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I thought people were making a mountain out of a mole hill about the map until I looked up a comparison video. That is a bummer on one hand because botw's beauty was with the exploration and wonder. I'm sure there's tons of new stuff to see but I guess it makes sense if this is truly a sequel. It's weird for the franchise but it's still Zelda and I'm sure I'll like it no matter what anyway.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Also keep in mind that we really haven’t seen all that much of the ground close up, the trailers and gameplay footage so far have focused heavily on the sky islands.

Mario Galaxy 2 came to life the same way TotK did - DLC that eventually grew expansive enough to spin off into a full game - and I regard Galaxy 1&2 combined as one of the greatest games ever made (hell, THE greatest until BOTW came along) so even if TotK basically has the same “much more of the original” vibe as Galaxy 2 I’m still gonna love the hell out of it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Tik TotK

:rimshot:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still think it should have been Tears of the Queendom

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Remember when they cancelled the UK stream of the title reveal because the Queen kicked the bucket a few days prior? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Remember when they cancelled the UK stream of the tire reveal because the Queen kicked the bucket a few days prior? lmao

They delayed the global announcement because she died.