Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

SourKraut posted:

We have a minivan and it’s honestly an amazing, comfortable, smooth ride.

One time I rented a minivan and drove it from Florida to Nevada and back. Came away honestly impressed by how smooth, roomy, and even fuel efficient it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

you expect parents to drive their brood around with a minivan?

No joke, minivans are really quite nice now. If I had to raise my stepkids again, I would not hesitate to get a used Honda Odyssey

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

is pepsi ok posted:

One time I rented a minivan and drove it from Florida to Nevada and back. Came away honestly impressed by how smooth, roomy, and even fuel efficient it was.

FlapYoJacks posted:

No joke, minivans are really quite nice now. If I had to raise my stepkids again, I would not hesitate to get a used Honda Odyssey

Yeah we have a Honda Odyssey and it’s really nice. And since it has a 10 speed automatic, the fuel efficiency is pretty good given the size and weight of it. It also feels safe/secure without being some lifted mega SUV/truck monstrosity.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
I think this has come up in the thread before but who the gently caress is going to buy all those lovely mcmansions. At some point you know the people living in them are gonna cash out and retire, are there enough millenials with lead brains to carry the torch?

https://twitter.com/texasrunnerDFW/status/1641796996372525056

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Besides increased atomization of society, many places cut down traffic enforcement to almost nothing and never recovered. A ton of cops refused to mask or vax and died and DMVs across the country were/are an absolute poo poo show with many months of backlog.

For a long time in Portland you didn't even need a license plate to drive legally because you essentially couldn't get one.

I wouldn't write off COVID as a partial influence though. Two of the primary symptoms of long COVID "brain fog" are poor memory and concentration. This makes it harder to work and it's probably not great for your driving skills either.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Beached Whale posted:

I think this has come up in the thread before but who the gently caress is going to buy all those lovely mcmansions. At some point you know the people living in them are gonna cash out and retire, are there enough millenials with lead brains to carry the torch?

21 mill mcmansions aren't really mcmansion, those are just mansions

mcmansions are like 400-600k suburban 1990s+ development with tacky pergo floors. ppl will buy them when they're rotting and becoming the new cheap blighted areas for a cool 150k

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beached Whale posted:

lol what percentage of boomers owned their homes between the ages of 27 and 42?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

you expect parents to drive their brood around with a minivan?

during freshman year of college, one of the kids on my dorm floor got his parents' minivan as a hand-me-down

everyone made fun of him at first. haha, a minivan? what are you, some kind of nerd?? then over time people came to seriously appreciate having someone who can fit eight people into their car, and is also nice enough to always be the designated driver

he was definitely the MVP, that guy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I wouldn't write off COVID as a partial influence though. Two of the primary symptoms of long COVID "brain fog" are poor memory and concentration. This makes it harder to work and it's probably not great for your driving skills either.
nah, poor memory and concentration would probably make you more confused, slower to respond, and akin to being on a phone/80 year dementia driver. it generally wouldnt enable the psychopathy displayed that social contracts are destroyed and learning it's all nothing matters, everyone is rube sheeple, fygm internalized.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

during freshman year of college, one of the kids on my dorm floor got his parents' minivan as a hand-me-down

everyone made fun of him at first. haha, a minivan? what are you, some kind of nerd?? then over time people came to seriously appreciate having someone who can fit eight people into their car, and is also nice enough to always be the designated driver

he was definitely the MVP, that guy

Literally, the same thing happened to me in High school with my parent's Dodge Caravan lmfao.
Friends made fun of me, then asked for rides. I was also the DD for parties most of the time.

The minivan could also hold many CRT monitors for LAN parties, including my Twenty four inch widescreen Sony Trinitron. :cool:

FlapYoJacks has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Mar 31, 2023

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

FlapYoJacks posted:

lol what percentage of boomers owned their homes between the ages of 27 and 42?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
boomers got married at like the age of 18

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Literally, the same thing happened to me in High school with my parent's Dodge Caravan lmfao.
Friends made fun of me, then asked for rides. I was also the DD for parties most of the time.

The minivan could also hold many CRT monitors for LAN parties, including my Twenty four inch widescreen Sony Trinitron. :cool:

king

man i miss LAN parties

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin
48% of millennials own homes, the other half don't

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

king

man i miss LAN parties

Playing Q3A, UT99, and HL DM all night long baby.

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

quote:

So again, I ask, who in this group is buying 20 million boomer McMansions in the next 10 yrs?

"buying" :roflolmao:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They'll bulldoze empty homes before they let them be too big of a drag on house prices.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

anime was right posted:

boomers got married at like the age of 18

They could afford to. What’s the average price for a wedding now, $30k? We must have spent… lol a bit more than that.

Also I noticed a lot of Boomer parents are sullen and resentful and or miserly and won’t even pay for the bride’s dress, let alone a significant cost of the wedding.

It sounds petty, but contrary to the stereotype of immigrant parents being too involved, a lot of my friends had their hearts broken by their WASP parents just not participating at all. I wonder if that’s alienation or overreaction to being smothered by their parents and remembering their weddings not really being “about them”.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I got married in a modest municipal office, with my wife.

e: to answer the question of who's buying them, boomer's kids are going to inherit them (fighting over them if necessary) and immigrants will buy the rest.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My wedding was at a hotel, and we spent $15k~ back in 2012.
We were also already married by that point, and it was just a ceremony. My daughter is doing the same thing. Get married at the courthouse, then plan a ceremony a few years later.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Xaris posted:

nah, poor memory and concentration would probably make you more confused, slower to respond, and akin to being on a phone/80 year dementia driver. it generally wouldnt enable the psychopathy displayed that social contracts are destroyed and learning it's all nothing matters, everyone is rube sheeple, fygm internalized.

nah behavior change including bursts of anger is in the mix too, sorry. covid sucks; i recommend not getting it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BBBY down another 26% today - Chapter 11 filing over the weekend? :thunk:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ignore the fud. Buy the fuckin DIP

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Horseshoe theory posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

For a long time in Portland you didn't even need a license plate to drive legally because you essentially couldn't get one.

lol "the government doesn't function well enough anymore to provide bare minimum services" is a check mark in the Collapse column

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

marx was wrong you can just keep raising the price

Just a mystery where the inflation is coming from.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Beached Whale posted:

I saw a thing recently about the housing market in Japan after years of population decline, apparently the countryside is littered with abandoned homes and it's usually considered economical to literally give the house away rather than pay taxes and maintain the property. If you dont live somewhere convenient your house may never be sellable.

Our real estate market was a big dumb pyramid scheme hinging on infinite growth and a balooning population continuing apace forever. Leveling out or declining populations is not great for people on 30 year mortgages

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

reminded me of this one

https://archive.ph/Sbvpx

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So you're saying housing prices might go down? They will not be going down

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

Horseshoe theory posted:

44 cents a share

Woke Mind Virus posted:

BUY THE loving DIPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 7, 2003

they're just completely ignoring that spike after 2021, huh

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm never going to own a home. Not unless someone else dies and leaves it to me.

Apr 7, 2003

net work error posted:

So you're saying housing prices might go down? They will not be going down

There's a housing development here that's quite literally built on a toxic slagheap that's shifting. Houses were built there 2010-2012, started at $350K or $395K or something around there.

There's been over a decade of litigation and bad news about the place, reports about peoples' houses sliding down the hillside, people getting sick, etc.

Anyway there are two houses in this slag development for sale right now and they're both over a million bucks.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that house that fell into the florida sea still was “worth” hundreds of thousands right up until impact

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a housing development here that's quite literally built on a toxic slagheap that's shifting. Houses were built there 2010-2012, started at $350K or $395K or something around there.

There's been over a decade of litigation and bad news about the place, reports about peoples' houses sliding down the hillside, people getting sick, etc.

Anyway there are two houses in this slag development for sale right now and they're both over a million bucks.

Why do you think they're called Superfun sites? Imagine your whole house being one giant slide for your kids.

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

Jel Shaker posted:

that house that fell into the florida sea still was “worth” hundreds of thousands right up until impact

Tuckerd
Mar 29, 2023

by vyelkin

eXXon posted:

Imagine your whole house being one giant slide for your kids.
:allears:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
houses arent real

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Xaris posted:

mcmansions are like 400-600k suburban 1990s+ development with tacky pergo floors. ppl will buy them when they're rotting and becoming the new cheap blighted areas for a cool 150k

reading comprehension test: is it [21M quantity of houses] or [houses priced at $21M]?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xaris posted:

I don't know how much people will fight the necessary changes in HOA rules, but I think what a lot of owners will do is try to rent out their McMansions to groups of young professionals or alter them in some way so that they can be split between two families or something like that.