Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

21 mill mcmansions aren't really mcmansion, those are just mansions

mcmansions are like 400-600k suburban 1990s+ development with tacky pergo floors. ppl will buy them when they're rotting and becoming the new cheap blighted areas for a cool 150k

I think it's more likely they get bulldozed than ever be permitted to sell for that little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There's a housing development here that's quite literally built on a toxic slagheap that's shifting. Houses were built there 2010-2012, started at $350K or $395K or something around there.

There's been over a decade of litigation and bad news about the place, reports about peoples' houses sliding down the hillside, people getting sick, etc.

Anyway there are two houses in this slag development for sale right now and they're both over a million bucks.

Are they in a good public school district?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

bedpan posted:

I'm never going to own a home. Not unless someone else dies and leaves it to me.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I mean, unless you posted here, maybe in D&D you would be treated like a maniac for noticing the media blackout around Bernie Sanders in 2020. Maybe it wasn’t formal censorship, and unlike 2016 there aren’t emails so it’s mostly conjecture I suppose, but to see something like that and not thing formal tools would not be used against the left?

lol for gently caress’s sake look at Corbyn! Gosh do you really want to platform a known anti-semite? All of the censorship tools that apply to Nazis would surely apply to him.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

they moved into the forest with the only access a single lane dirt track to “get some peace and quiet” , nearest town (pop 1000) is an hour away, internet is still dial up

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

My wedding was at a hotel, and we spent $15k~ back in 2012.
We were also already married by that point, and it was just a ceremony. My daughter is doing the same thing. Get married at the courthouse, then plan a ceremony a few years later.

My boomer friends' (most of who were married at age 30, not 18) kids' are all getting married now bc they themselves are in their 30s, and bc of the pandemic both delaying celebrations & living together thru it.

And most of it is nuts compared to the small hippie weddings of their parents! Destination bachelor & bachelorette parties! ( :wtc: you can get drunk anywhere) Destination weddings! Wedding planners! Makeup & hair trials for the big day! Multiple showers! Presents up to $500 listed on the gift registries!

They're even doing this with their own money, bc they're PMC & can afford it, altho it's nice when the 'rents kick something toward it, as they usually do.

(Aunt Crabby Boomer Note: Please send written thank-you notes to the people gifting you cash & goods. I know you're a busy professional but it sticks in my craw when I give you $100 out of my social security income & you can't be arsed to acknowledge it. :argh: )

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

man, what the gently caress

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

checks out

alcohol, suicide, drug deaths have blasted into the atmosphere the past couple of years. my younger brother was even one of these fun stats.

the whole ft page is fun https://www.ft.com/content/653bbb26-8a22-4db3-b43d-c34a0b774303

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Mar 31, 2023

WhatsAnAutism
Mar 31, 2023

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Not a "good" (white) one, no

I'm assuming anyone spending that is sending their kids to Winchester Thurston

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Goodtweet

https://twitter.com/amaldorai/status/1635168985829490688?t=ImM-dCTW0j_QZ-ZjvMWgvA&s=19

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think it's more likely they get bulldozed than ever be permitted to sell for that little

yeah i fully expect boomers to trick the country and the feds to buy out all their old houses and bulldoze them. cash for clunkers but for houses

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

medicare will buy them for full price in lieu of long term care costs

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

just stated as a plain fact. a natural inevitability

https://twitter.com/bloombergasia/status/1641924836824940547

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

I’m law firms I’m pretty sure partners get paid quarterly

maybe that has changed

That assumes they're equity partners. Increasingly they're just salaried employees with the arbitrary title of "partner."

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a drat shame we can no longer summon a spellcaster to magic up some cash

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

that hed on the bloomberg piece hints at it being another "don't be a poor who has to take the lowest amount at age 62 to survive & instead work your rear end to age 70 & beyond"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a drat shame we can no longer summon a spellcaster to magic up some cash

oh we can still do that, but only the wealthy are allowed to benefit

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Haven’t there been headlines to this effect for like 30-40 years at this point? My parents spent their entire working careers assuming that Social Security had a real chance of not being around when they retired (5 years ago now). Somehow it has magically remained able to pay out its full amount the entire time.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yeah, we modelled our country on the concept of the universal Thunderdome. Problem?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i read this and thought it was alright. thnx

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
very long truncated tweets should have some indicator that there is more article behind the embed. BTW. elong ill take my finders fee. thnx

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This guy is possibly the least deranged venture capitalist I've seen, which I assume is why his genuinely thoughtful tweet has such poor engagement. His peers don't want to think about all this annoying junk that could get in the way of their hockey stick gainz.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

this is a thinly veiled rallying cry for the LessWrong / Effective Altruisim crowd, articulating ways Silicon Valley could Do Better, and remain wildly rich and powerful

anyone who wants to elevate Sam Altman to the front of a movement is either hopelessly naive or very cynical

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is public opinion on social security more popular than the banks?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

webcams for christ posted:

this is a thinly veiled rallying cry for the LessWrong / Effective Altruisim crowd, articulating ways Silicon Valley could Do Better, and remain wildly rich and powerful

anyone who wants to elevate Sam Altman to the front of a movement is either hopelessly naive or very cynical

Sam, Alt-man here...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

kojima rear end name

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1641884966815449088?cxt=HHwWgIC2kbTrksktAAAA

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1641934022958895106?t=2dJDUxXLEaguAlVN7zAsvg&s=19

That's why he's KING James

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1641926945188225028?s=20

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

webcams for christ posted:

yeah, altman is a sociopath

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
What is this bullshit. Covid was supposed to make social security viable

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This reminds me of something I heard the other day. I have a friend of a friend who works at SpaceX and let it slip that they're dealing with ENORMOUS fraud with their Starlink devices. Apparently they somehow were shipping out thousands of Starlink access points in 2021 and 2022 to fake buyers and are only just starting to address the problem, but some are still going out without payment. Basically, their internal controls had to be totally hosed for this to happen. Very funny stuff.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bloomberg has abandoned their guiding light: Number. Go. Up.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Lebron buy tiktok

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Vox Nihili posted:

This reminds me of something I heard the other day. I have a friend of a friend who works at SpaceX and let it slip that they're dealing with ENORMOUS fraud with their Starlink devices. Apparently they somehow were shipping out thousands of Starlink access points in 2021 and 2022 to fake buyers and are only just starting to address the problem, but some are still going out without payment. Basically, their internal controls had to be totally hosed for this to happen. Very funny stuff.

this combined with the reuters report about the spike in illegal brazillian mining and deforestation due to starlinks = lmao

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Willa Rogers posted:

My boomer friends' (most of who were married at age 30, not 18) kids' are all getting married now bc they themselves are in their 30s, and bc of the pandemic both delaying celebrations & living together thru it.

And most of it is nuts compared to the small hippie weddings of their parents! Destination bachelor & bachelorette parties! ( :wtc: you can get drunk anywhere) Destination weddings! Wedding planners! Makeup & hair trials for the big day! Multiple showers! Presents up to $500 listed on the gift registries!

They're even doing this with their own money, bc they're PMC & can afford it, altho it's nice when the 'rents kick something toward it, as they usually do.

(Aunt Crabby Boomer Note: Please send written thank-you notes to the people gifting you cash & goods. I know you're a busy professional but it sticks in my craw when I give you $100 out of my social security income & you can't be arsed to acknowledge it. :argh: )

This reminds me that I sent a check to a relative as a wedding gift by regular first class mail with a card and now I'm a little stressed about whether he got it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yeah, I made sure to hand-deliver the checks to them or their parents.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

So I had a fun thought that maybe someone who is not currently skullfucked with COVID, as I am, could verify. It is an open secret that the powers that be were not interested in presenting the full books on COVID deaths. As the pandemic wore on, more and more corners got cut, whether by regulatory bodies changing the definition of "COVID deaths" to exclude "people who died with both COVID and a fig leaf co-morbidity" or by red states who straight up stopped reporting them because it was politically inconvenient for them to exist. The numbers also didn't count the people who died for lack of emergency care due to filled up ICU beds as COVID related, despite COVID being the reason those needs were occupied.

So my suspicion is, if we take the average for annual deaths in this country from the years before the pandemic, and compare it to the annual deaths during the pandemic minus the number ascribed to COVID, we ought to see a notable jump that is yet otherwise unaccounted for, which would be especially interesting considering we probably saw significantly fewer things like car accident deaths because there were fewer people on the road during lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

a.lo posted:

is public opinion on social security more popular than the banks?

Bailouts weren't polled but I'm gonna guess yes.