Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I successfully solo'd using the fire Tauros strat and then did 3 public raids and won 2 lost 1.

The loss was because another person brought Zoroark lol

But yes, Anger Point fire Tauros is a v good strategy

252 atk/252 def shell bell using Raging Bull and Tail Whip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-xcrfeIdM

You WILL faint at least 3 times, but the damage you do makes up for it because of the recovery

Nice, my strategy was using Sunny Day first turn then spamming Raging Bull. It causes Samurott to spam Drill Run and not Aqua Cutter. I carried the berry neutralizing super effective against water but that does nothing if you get crit. A shell bell or metronome would have been a better choice if I were to do it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Has anyone seen the elemental Tauros in the wild in either game? I had to use a sandwich both times to get them to show up anywhere.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Edit: ^^^ I had to use a fire encounter sandwich to get mine

With the fire Tauros I think it's actually better to prioritize damage/recovery over defensive plays. Based on my attempts, if you don't get health back it's going to 2hko no matter what because of the crits. Once the shield is gone shell bell will get you back up to >75% hp each turn.

If anyone is looking for a foolproof strat, this is the one!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Has anyone seen the elemental Tauros in the wild in either game? I had to use a sandwich both times to get them to show up anywhere.

In the wild they are annoyingly rare as they seem to only spawn in packs. Using a shiny level 3 encounter Fire/Water at the field outside the Desert to Porto Lighthouse will have a ridiculous number of Taurus spawn. I got a shiny for the base and Fire one that way, both by accident hahaha

Fun fact, the solo elemental Taurus which are huge will always be Ditto. I took a video of it but am too lazy to upload it :v:

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Pigs are flying for April Fools. I think this is real though.

Edit: yes it's real. Code is free, and there's a Lechonk Gamestop exclusive card if you spend $15 on TCG cards.

https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/receive-a-flying-tera-type-lechonk-at-gamestop-and-eb-games

no broccoli please fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 31, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Corviknight is a great versatile pokemon to bring to the raid. can be full support with cheers or if everyone knows what they're doing you can still do DPS. flying tera, ATK/DEF EVs and a synergistic nature, shell bell, screech/drill peck/reflect/(roost or bulk up, I rarely use a fourth move but bulk up is good for attacking). ability doesn't matter

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

indigi posted:

Corviknight is a great versatile pokemon to bring to the raid. can be full support with cheers or if everyone knows what they're doing you can still do DPS. flying tera, ATK/DEF EVs and a synergistic nature, shell bell, screech/drill peck/reflect/(roost or bulk up, I rarely use a fourth move but bulk up is good for attacking). ability doesn't matter

Carry Taunt on Support Corviknight so Samaritan can’t do Swords Dance after the shield falls down

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

unless you know the exact turn the shield will go down you won't get the taunt off in time, I never saw it land before SD was used in 15-20 raids. if there's a way to land it I'd be interested but reflect helps (non crits) anyway

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just got my samurott using the Annihilape strategy. Didn't even need Defiant on it. Gave Smoky a shell bell, used screech twice at the start and then Rage Fist until win. Fainted twice but it doesn't matter, you outpace the timer.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

HopperUK posted:

only once in my sister’s game. like someone else said, they exclusively spawn in packs, and I believe generally as the leader (though I’m not 100% on this)

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Annihilate rules, racking in the rewards now.

This is the first time I wished Lucky Chant was still in the game though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Not having any luck so far with bringing in my Pelipper. She's got Chilling Water, Roost, Hurricane, and Stockpile. I mostly spam Chilling Water and it's been keeping her alive really well, but people keep bringing fire types to this fight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nessa posted:

Not having any luck so far with bringing in my Pelipper. She's got Chilling Water, Roost, Hurricane, and Stockpile. I mostly spam Chilling Water and it's been keeping her alive really well, but people keep bringing fire types to this fight.

Pelipper Crew :respek:

No luck here either, seems like fire types are preferred and the plan is to just try and out damage the death timer. The closest Ive come was when someone saw my Pelipper and swapped to Masquerain but we still couldnt beat the timer since the other two players brought the fire starter and just kept getting one shot over and over.

e: Well that unexpectedly worked. Scream Tail with Reflect/Howl/Wish/Fire Punch

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 31, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
So many people playing Kamikazi with Brave Bird...why?? :doh:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nessa posted:

about 5 or 6 out of every 10 raids I join has a Skeledirge with the committed check and the raid not abandoned. it's got me wondering if there's some OP meta strategy I haven't thought of, but I always quit out

Furnaceface posted:

we still couldnt beat the timer since the other two players brought the fire starter and just kept getting one shot over and over.

guess not!

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Despite the game being almost half a year old, it amazes me how people apparently STILL haven't figured out even the most basic rational when choosing raid Pokemon.

Folks: I don't care that it's currently a grass type, DON'T BRING A SKELEDIRGE AGAINST A VAPOREON.

Sincerely,

someone tired of your bullshit

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hello, I got Violet from the library and caught all the Pokemon before the Great Crater acted like Season 8 of Game of Thrones and retroactively disenchanted me from the game.

Whenever I last paid attention, there was some kind of well regarded fan Pokemon game people were talking about, I think. Does that still exist?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

Pelipper Crew :respek:

No luck here either, seems like fire types are preferred and the plan is to just try and out damage the death timer. The closest Ive come was when someone saw my Pelipper and swapped to Masquerain but we still couldnt beat the timer since the other two players brought the fire starter and just kept getting one shot over and over.

e: Well that unexpectedly worked. Scream Tail with Reflect/Howl/Wish/Fire Punch

Oh yeah, I make sure to lock in my Pelipper at the start so anyone coming in knows what's coming. People still bring Skeledirge or Ceruledge.

Managed to get past the barrier in a team with 2 Annihilapes and a Slither Wing, but still not enough. Pelipper can tank, but even Hurricanes do only the tiniest sliver of damage.

Of course I manage to catch him in my first fight after making this post. Corviknight, Azumaril, and Annihilape managed to do the job. Named him Yojimbo.

Nessa fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 1, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think Salamence would be really good for Samurott. Intimidate, immune to buldoze/drill run, resists 2 of the other moves

DDance, Duel Wingbeat, Roost?

Sometimes I can't get Screech off with Anihihiape cuz some schmuck gets murked first turn from Bulldoze. Stop bringing Belibolt!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's not overly hard to bring someone who resists 3 out of the 4 moves (Flying alone is immune to Ground and resists Bug, and similarly Fighting resists both Bug and Dark), the tricky part is more if you can handle the one move you don't resist.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
hmmmmmm.....:japan:

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
also

HopperUK posted:

Oh my god Pokemon Center UK has the Don plushies and they're *adorable*. And it's payday tomorrow. This is dangerous. I don't *need* a 27 inch-long robot dragon, but I *want* one.

They also have Lechonk keychains.

e: the spring Togepi plush is in a LITTLE BASKET with EGGS

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

Just got my samurott using the Annihilape strategy. Didn't even need Defiant on it. Gave Smoky a shell bell, used screech twice at the start and then Rage Fist until win. Fainted twice but it doesn't matter, you outpace the timer.

It’s definitely a close call but it worked for me too. Some investment in Def is useful to turn 2hkos into 3hkos, and post-swords dance ohkos into 2hkos

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Hello, I got Violet from the library and caught all the Pokemon before the Great Crater acted like Season 8 of Game of Thrones and retroactively disenchanted me from the game.

Whenever I last paid attention, there was some kind of well regarded fan Pokemon game people were talking about, I think. Does that still exist?

There's a bunch of decent to great fangames that people talk about in here from time to time. I've been playing Inclement Emerald which is a really good emerald mod that adds everything up through gen 7 and a ton of quality of life features.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Emerald Rogue and that Infinite Fusions game both look really fun.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Oh also Black and White 3, the GBC romhack

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

apparently (potential minor DLC spoilers about Pokémon forms via leaks/rumors) the 7-star raid Pokémon are likely going to have unique Tera forms—or at least unique Tera hats

which is cute! Charizard’s rear end getting special treatment again is meh but I’m interested in what they’ll look like and how different they’ll be.

I’ll say take this with a grain of salt because the ~leaker~ usually posts riddles and this was unusually straightforward for him, plus Chinese is his first language so stuff often gets lost in translation

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Lux Anima posted:

hmmmmmm.....:japan:

:hmmyes:

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

apparently (potential minor DLC spoilers about Pokémon forms via leaks/rumors) the 7-star raid Pokémon are likely going to have unique Tera forms—or at least unique Tera hats

which is cute! Charizard’s rear end getting special treatment again is meh but I’m interested in what they’ll look like and how different they’ll be.

I’ll say take this with a grain of salt because the ~leaker~ usually posts riddles and this was unusually straightforward for him, plus Chinese is his first language so stuff often gets lost in translation

I wouldn't trust anything you see today vis-a-vis DLC leaks.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Ah I see, interesting. Unrelated to anything, what day is it?

We should take these grains though since the entire Paldea dex was leaked via riddles and pictures months before the games came out, there's definitely an insider.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah, largely by this same guy. I don’t think April Fool’s Day has the same level of reach and participation in China, but fair point

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I might restart Violet sometime this month (which I haven't done since Gen V, but I like this gen well enough and I don't do Max Raids so nothing of value is being lost other than a shiny Garchomp). I'm picking Fuecoco again because it rocks but hit me with some suggestions this playthrough. Last time I used Gargancl, Gogoat, Mabostiff, Garchomp and a few rotations like Sawsbuck and Heracross. Might use Mabostiff again maybe, it might be my second favourite this gen (next to Fuecoco).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I might restart Violet sometime this month (which I haven't done since Gen V, but I like this gen well enough and I don't do Max Raids so nothing of value is being lost other than a shiny Garchomp). I'm picking Fuecoco again because it rocks but hit me with some suggestions this playthrough. Last time I used Gargancl, Gogoat, Mabostiff, Garchomp and a few rotations like Sawsbuck and Heracross. Might use Mabostiff again maybe, it might be my second favourite this gen (next to Fuecoco).

Maushold is a really good early game capture mon with Super Fang and Thunder Wave. Tinkaton is really fun to have around. Kilowattrel is a *great* electric type.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Pink Tina, my Tinkaton, was my mvp for sure.

The tea cup ghost has good spA and decent speed

Pawmi nuzzled Pokemon for me through the end of the game

Ninja bug is pretty cool. Lokix? Something like that.

Real talk I couldn't resist Spore Breloom and Talonflame. They're just so useful!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Thinking about it, I feel like Shroomish to Breloom is really a top tier “how’d we get from Point A to Point B” evo, like it’s such an out there choice for the grumpy mushroom to turn into a boxing kangaroo with hoove-claws and not a single feature from its old form like how Gyrados has the same fins as Magikarp.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Dachsbun is a very good doggie. Flamigo hits like a truck. Squawkabilly can hit pretty hard too with Hustle. Graffaiai is a fun little gremlin. Oinkologne gets a pretty wide move pool. Clodsire is just great. Having a ground type with Water Absorb is very useful. You’ll already have a ghost type, but Houndstone is another good doggie.

Also seconding Tinkaton and Killowattrel.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Pink Tina, my Tinkaton, was my mvp for sure.

The tea cup ghost has good spA and decent speed

Pawmi nuzzled Pokemon for me through the end of the game

Ninja bug is pretty cool. Lokix? Something like that.

Real talk I couldn't resist Spore Breloom and Talonflame. They're just so useful!

Spore Breloom absolutely carried me through my Violet playthrough. In Scarlet I'm determined not to repeat any main team members so I've been relying on False Swipe Thunder Wave Yawn Jolteon. Poor thing does struggle a bit but I'm not having *too* much trouble catching what I want to catch.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
It's a pain to raise but I really love Jumpluff for status shenanigans

I completely missed the paradox suicune/vizirion catches, has there been any word if they'll be run again?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Finally got Samurott with Pelipper. Had fire and water Tauros, plus a Koraidon as teammates. I think we all fainted at least once, but spamming chilling water made a difference. Then I used hurricane once it was down in the red. Pelipper is definitely a tank in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Looks like your last game was most physical attacks so why not go the opposite this time? Special attacking Technician Persian, Vespiquen, Oricorio, Kilowattrel, Oranguru, Dedenne, and Rabsca are all uncommon but fun choices. I used the Persian and Rabsca in my run through the story and they were quite fun to figure out how to make work.