Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

SlimGoodbody posted:

So I had a fun thought that maybe someone who is not currently skullfucked with COVID, as I am, could verify. It is an open secret that the powers that be were not interested in presenting the full books on COVID deaths. As the pandemic wore on, more and more corners got cut, whether by regulatory bodies changing the definition of "COVID deaths" to exclude "people who died with both COVID and a fig leaf co-morbidity" or by red states who straight up stopped reporting them because it was politically inconvenient for them to exist. The numbers also didn't count the people who died for lack of emergency care due to filled up ICU beds as COVID related, despite COVID being the reason those needs were occupied.

So my suspicion is, if we take the average for annual deaths in this country from the years before the pandemic, and compare it to the annual deaths during the pandemic minus the number ascribed to COVID, we ought to see a notable jump that is yet otherwise unaccounted for, which would be especially interesting considering we probably saw significantly fewer things like car accident deaths because there were fewer people on the road during lockdown.

Yes, the excess mortality rate tells the full tale. It's been covered pretty extensively. Here is a link to get started:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9094106/#:~:text=Across%203%2C127%20counties%20in%20the,March%202021%20to%20February%202022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBCMakeIt/status/1641905723066949632?s=20

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

Bailouts weren't polled but I'm gonna guess yes.

I'm the "assistance to big cities" outlier

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

silentsnack posted:

empires collapse all the time, it's natural.

first as a tragedy then as a farce, it's a mathematically proven fact.

we already outlasted the polish-lithuanian commonwealth by 14 years so we are doing p good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

Bailouts weren't polled but I'm gonna guess yes.

"assistance to big cities" lmao like cities arent being robbed to the bone by suburbs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm the "assistance to big cities" outlier

Pretty sure the money actually flows in the opposite direction!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I found out that my salary right now is basically the same as it was when I started in late 2015 after adjusting for all the inflation.

good thing i'm starting a new job in may

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Louisgod posted:

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

covid just made people forget how dumb and violent people were pre covid

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

covid just made people forget how dumb and violent people were pre covid

the stats prove you wrong

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I hag noticed that drivers are slightly insane than last year due to a bit more enforcement but still a pathetic levels. Minivans are cool but most people that want to kill me on the road are in a minivan. One cut in front of me and slammed on their brakes on a heavy rainflall. My MO when a road rager engages is that they are always in a slower car an do have to literally engage rally mode to get away from them before I find out if they want to gun me down or not.

Celexi has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Apr 1, 2023

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i will join the personal story brigade and say I too feel like people have been driving like nuts lately

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

actionjackson posted:

I found out that my salary right now is basically the same as it was when I started in late 2015 after adjusting for all the inflation.

good thing i'm starting a new job in may

I hadn't thought about this because I didn't get a raise in income for over a decade, but plugging in my 09 income I was stuck at til this year, that was the high point in my earnings. And if inflation keeps up it likely will stay the high point. Incredible. No wonder I was able to pay off a shitload of loans back then, everything else was cheap

40k in 2010 is 55k now. Unbelievable

When I started high school in mid 90s people had family in UAW making 50k. That's 100k now. Just imagine.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Apr 1, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

pfft she could have came here instead for a couple bucks. comes with free mice since the cat is useless.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
2 years of your mortgage is paid by 500 grand

i dont think ill do that math no thank you

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Bakers Cousin posted:

2 years of your mortgage is paid by 500 grand

i dont think ill do that math no thank you

quote:

The 48-year-old cybersecurity expert bought the 6,400-square-foot, five-bedroom home in the affluent town of Paradise Valley for $7.3 million in 2022

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
So glad Rihanna helped out this poor wealthy tech bro

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
do you think she saw the place and immediately wanted to rent it or is there a mega rich airbnb app

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

do you think she saw the place and immediately wanted to rent it or is there a mega rich airbnb app

yeah theres a separate rich person market for everything basically

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

she could've stayed at a normal person's house and paid off their mortgage entirely, changing the outcome of not just their life but the lives of their children through inherited wealth

but whatever

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i mean shes a billionaire so lets not get too deep into what she could do because lol

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

:lol:tweet

https://twitter.com/uriahz/status/1636796008368869376?t=14Cizg1dsqKBExCec6AQlA&s=19

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

i mean shes a billionaire so lets not get too deep into what she could do because lol

billionaire? drat ok, that makes sense. i would think even $500,000 for a pop musician would be a lot but yeah.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

this is purely :tinfoil: but I wonder if endless COVID infections has affected people's driving. purely anecdotal but it seems like people as a whole have become worse drivers specific to reckless choices. speeding has gotten so bad where I live that the local pigs need to announce they're setting up speed traps on the highways, yet people still speed and do stupid poo poo.

Police got mad that people get angry when they murder someone, so they don't enforce poo poo anymore and people are learning they can drive psycho consequence free so they do. I can't remember the last time I saw a speedtrap or someone pulled over in the city.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You could always drive like a psychopath without consequences, and speed traps are themselves a kind of useless non-enforcement that can be outright dangerous when they cause traffic to suddenly slow from like 80mph down to 60mph.

The last time I had an in-person job like over a decade ago there were these idiots on dirt bikes and one quad that would go blazing down the road in front of the school I worked at two or three times per week, at almost the exact same time every time. They'd do wheelies by the school and nearly hit pedestrians several times. No one ever did poo poo, even though the main road a quarter of a mile away was a well-known speed trap where cops would issue tickets for like 5mph over the limit.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Radirot posted:

billionaire? drat ok, that makes sense. i would think even $500,000 for a pop musician would be a lot but yeah.

Yeah she has branched into a huge fashion and make-up brand and does a lot of cross product luxury stuff and so her wealth loving skyrocketed

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

"assistance to big cities" lmao like cities arent being robbed to the bone by suburbs

and america is the suburb of the world.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.
is the banking crisis over yet?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Oglethorpe posted:

is the banking crisis over yet?

In 90 days everything will either be fine or not so fine.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Why on earth does this thread seem to want more traffic enforcement? Traffic cops never do something nice like pulling over someone cruising in the passing lane, semis not keeping right, or someone jumping a solid white merge line early and cutting off 3 lanes of traffic they just nab someone going 7 over on a completely empty 70 freeway for seemingly no reason other than ticket revenue. World would be better off with 0 patrols on interstates cause they don't enforce anything other than speed limits in the dumbest manner possible.

e: like sure I agree people on the road are often idiots and in a perfect world it'd be great if the actually dangerous traffic infractions were punished but literally the only thing anyone gets a ticket for is benign speeding. I've not once in my life seen someone pulled over for changing lanes without signaling, or coming to a full stop in the middle of the road to make a turn there was a turn lane for (again without signaling), or any of the number of things that would actually cause a car wreck. It's just cruising at 5 mph over the limit and going past a bored cop or on a highway that routes through a podunk city that literally exists entirely off speed ticket revenue.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Apr 1, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PoundSand posted:

Why on earth does this thread seem to want more traffic enforcement? Traffic cops never do something nice like pulling over someone cruising in the passing lane, semis not keeping right, or someone jumping a solid white merge line early and cutting off 3 lanes of traffic they just nab someone going 7 over on a completely empty 70 freeway for seemingly no reason other than ticket revenue. World would be better off with 0 patrols on interstates cause they don't enforce anything other than speed limits in the dumbest manner possible.

I don't want more traffic enforcement, I want all cars to be mechanically or electronically limited to a maximum of 55 mph and the enemy of the state Sammy Hagar brought to justice

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Why on earth does this thread seem to want more traffic enforcement?
Because I'm sick and tired of nearly getting killed by people doing 50 in a 25 every loving time I drive

also every time I walk

also every time I ride my bike

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

World would be better off with 0 patrols on interstates
Do you not drive anywhere besides interstates

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Because I'm sick and tired of nearly getting killed by people doing 50 in a 25 every loving time I drive

also every time I walk

https://vimeo.com/105270735

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Why on earth does this thread seem to want more traffic enforcement?
I'm going to petition the city to put a speed bump outside my house.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
also a lot more red light runners. its crazy people act like those lights are suggestions

Apr 7, 2003

That guy teleports from his bedroom directly to interstates every day

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PoundSand posted:

people that want more traffic enforcement usually mean the platonic ideal of traffic enforcement where roads are made safer by patrolling authority that removes drunk drivers and unsafe conditions

the practical reality is that it's a nationwide gang of thugs primarily terrorizing, robbing and murdering people at gunpoint using traffic stops as an excuse

So I agree. US traffic enforcement needs to stop immediately.

also every time I walk

Perfect example. You think more police would fix that. I guess it's possible if they hit some sort of preset corruption limit where we tick over to 10% of the population being cops and enough good ones build up to actually accomplish something.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't want more traffic enforcement, I want all cars to be mechanically or electronically limited to a maximum of 55 mph and the enemy of the state Sammy Hagar brought to justice

That's still way too fast. 25 would be more like it

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Perfect example. You think more police would fix that. I guess it's possible if they hit some sort of preset corruption limit where we tick over to 10% of the population being cops and enough good ones build up to actually accomplish something.

The actual fix is police cars - empty and parked next to the interstate about one every thirty miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

people that want more traffic enforcement usually mean the platonic ideal of traffic enforcement where roads are made safer by patrolling authority that removes drunk drivers and unsafe conditions

the practical reality is that it's a nationwide gang of thugs primarily terrorizing, robbing and murdering people at gunpoint using traffic stops as an excuse

So I agree. US traffic enforcement needs to stop immediately.

I'm old enough to remember when cops actually stopped people who speed and ticketed them

afaict that stopped around 2008 around here

the solution is to not abolish the concept of traffic law enforcement entirely

e: I am probably misinterpreting your post