Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel like there’s a decky plugin for that

Oh, awesome. Looks like the decky store is down atm (just constantly loading for me) but it sounds like this will do the job. Thanks!

https://github.com/alphamercury/ControllerTools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I ended up getting the WD off Aliexpress after seeing a ton of reputable sources vouch for it:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804714924643.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

KDiskMark says it's somewhat substantially faster than the 512gb that came with my SD but I haven't noticed any actual practical difference.

Snagged a 1TB, will review when it gets here in 3 weeks 😫

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Party Boat posted:

Oh, awesome. Looks like the decky store is down atm (just constantly loading for me) but it sounds like this will do the job. Thanks!

Yeah, I think this is the one I use and it works reliably in my experience. Pops up a little notification when your battery is below a certain percentage, even if you're in a game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So I've installed controller tools but it doesn't seem to recognise my xbone controller (connected over bluetooth). Tried restarting the deck but it still says "no controllers detected"

The version in the decky store says it only supports Switch / DS4 / DualSense but the github page includes Xbox controllers. It looks to be the same version on both though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Party Boat posted:

So I've installed controller tools but it doesn't seem to recognise my xbone controller (connected over bluetooth). Tried restarting the deck but it still says "no controllers detected"

The version in the decky store says it only supports Switch / DS4 / DualSense but the github page includes Xbox controllers. It looks to be the same version on both though.

You probably know this, but the xbox logo on the controller starts blinking when the battery starts running low. You have an ~hour of battery life left then, and it will keep blinking intermittently.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1641863807038521344?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Which of these is the one to play?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pretty bold for them to just make up fake games for their april fools bundle

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Vic posted:

You probably know this, but the xbox logo on the controller starts blinking when the battery starts running low. You have an ~hour of battery life left then, and it will keep blinking intermittently.

I did not know this! Does it work even if you use cheapass no brand battery packs because I've never noticed it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The first two are really good and easily worth the $8.

Not sure about the others though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Really? Rogue Genesia is good now? I tried it like 6 months ago and it was a snoozefest.

Boneraiser Minions is better than Vampire Survivor though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Really? Rogue Genesia is good now? I tried it like 6 months ago and it was a snoozefest.

Yeah they have put a lot of work into RG and it’s significantly better now.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Party Boat posted:

I did not know this! Does it work even if you use cheapass no brand battery packs because I've never noticed it

I'd hope so, I use generic rechargable AAs and it works for me.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Scarlet Tower is fun but there are just too many different things to level up, and not in the fun way.

I still go back to it occasionally for the odd hour or two though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vampire Survivors. Accept no substitutes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Vampire Survivors. Accept no substitutes.

If there was a way to make Vampire Survivors better, they would've put in Vampire Survivors. Don't listen to Ondore's lies

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Chin Strap posted:

I do not agree. I didn't care for it and put in maybe 5 or 6 hours into it. One successful run and I was done.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

:wrong:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boneraiser minions looks like loving poo poo

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

:wrong:

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I like Rogue Genesia, Boneraiser Minions and Nomad Survival quite a bit. I had Scarlet Tower and Bounty of One already but didn't find them super memorable. I went through a phase a couple months back where I played like a dozen of them a bunch so I burned myself out a little, but I'm excited to try the others and they're p much all perfect Deck games.

If y'all want to give them a shot for yourselves:

Rogue Genesia: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=km6rMAKEdEchCpMv
Boneraiser Minions: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6am4TBfsCUcmdcTe
Nomad Survival: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Tsf8X3DWbUzhqtz6
Bounty of One: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=SRNUvkfz43FXCaeu
Scarlet Tower: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=uYhPnYYsw74fappK

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Well hey, I'll find out if Boneraiser Minions is ugly garbage that is worse than Vampire Survivors myself. Thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

woke kaczynski posted:

I like Rogue Genesia, Boneraiser Minions and Nomad Survival quite a bit. I had Scarlet Tower and Bounty of One already but didn't find them super memorable. I went through a phase a couple months back where I played like a dozen of them a bunch so I burned myself out a little, but I'm excited to try the others and they're p much all perfect Deck games.

If y'all want to give them a shot for yourselves:

Rogue Genesia: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=km6rMAKEdEchCpMv
Boneraiser Minions: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=6am4TBfsCUcmdcTe
Nomad Survival: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Tsf8X3DWbUzhqtz6
Bounty of One: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=SRNUvkfz43FXCaeu
Scarlet Tower: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=uYhPnYYsw74fappK

Thanks for rogue genesia.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

thank u for nomad survivor!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You have to turn on the options to outline everything in an alignment-specific bright colour or you can’t see poo poo when you’re trying to tell the difference between friendly and enemy shenanigans once it gets busy

It’s alright but it’s no vampire survivors

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Pretty bold for them to just make up fake games for their april fools bundle

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Thanks for scarlet tower

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Party Boat posted:

While we're on the subject, anyone know how to bring up the dots menu that allows access to Decky plugins if you're playing on an Xbox series controller? The ability to check my controller's battery while using my controller would be p nice, but if any of the buttons maps to that I haven't found it yet

It also kind of kills the point of the Bluetooth plugin if I can't access it without getting up from the couch

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

loquacius posted:

While we're on the subject, anyone know how to bring up the dots menu that allows access to Decky plugins if you're playing on an Xbox series controller? The ability to check my controller's battery while using my controller would be p nice, but if any of the buttons maps to that I haven't found it yet

It also kind of kills the point of the Bluetooth plugin if I can't access it without getting up from the couch

Home+A (or Nintendo B)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Xbox + x

Just holding Xbox for a few seconds pulls up a cheat sheet too

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

I ended up getting the WD off Aliexpress after seeing a ton of reputable sources vouch for it:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804714924643.html?gatewayAdapt=Pc2Msite

KDiskMark says it's somewhat substantially faster than the 512gb that came with my SD but I haven't noticed any actual practical difference.

I ordered the 2TB because go hard or go home

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

loquacius posted:

The thing to remember is that the "Steam" and "..." buttons are functionally interchangeable AFAIK and pushing one with the A button (B on Nintendo, X on PS) will bring up the other's menu.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
How do you guys play FPS on this thing. I cannot aim without a mouse. I used to play CoD like 10-15 years ago on console but the minimal skill I had back then seems to be totally gone.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Suran37 posted:

How do you guys play FPS on this thing. I cannot aim without a mouse. I used to play CoD like 10-15 years ago on console but the minimal skill I had back then seems to be totally gone.

It really takes a good amount of fine tuning for both the trackpads and the gyro. Grab a community layout and start adjusting.

Even still you're most likely playing pc game with a "controller" so you're not going to get auto aim.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suran37 posted:

Gyro

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Suran37 posted:

I am in the same boat (except for the CoD part) and honestly I just don't. Not on Deck, not on PS5. The experience is too frustrating for me. After 25+ years of mouse and keyboard I just can't adjust.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 1, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Suran37 posted:

How do you guys play FPS on this thing.
Use the right track pad for aiming, with the "Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad" Steam Input template and bind all the face buttons to back buttons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

gently caress aiming with the trackpad, holy poo poo. Glad y'all like it, but that, to me, is the absolute worst.

I much prefer having the gyro be enabled when I'm touching right stick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Set the right trackpad to mouse trackball with medium friction, and gyro enabled when touching the right trackpad.

Set the in-game mouse sensitivity right down then adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad in Steam itself, as this has the most accuracy.

Flick and tap the trackpad for quick 180 turns.

Swipe your thumb over the trackpad for large sweeping movements.

Use gyro for fine aiming.

The control scheme of champions; whenever I play something on PlayStation and it doesn't even allow gyro despite it being standard for three console generations it absolutely boggles the mind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On the topic of vampire survivors, did it break with an update? My deck currently refuses to load it, it just sits at the deck logo endlessly.

If I press the steam button to being up the menu, I can see and hear the game running behind the menu, but if I dismiss the menu it’s back to the silent loading screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Set the right trackpad to mouse trackball with medium friction, and gyro enabled when touching the right trackpad.

Set the in-game mouse sensitivity right down then adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad in Steam itself, as this has the most accuracy.

Flick and tap the trackpad for quick 180 turns.

Swipe your thumb over the trackpad for large sweeping movements.

Use gyro for fine aiming.

The control scheme of champions; whenever I play something on PlayStation and it doesn't even allow gyro despite it being standard for three console generations it absolutely boggles the mind.

This not becoming second nature after like fifteen minutes is so confounding to me. I took to it so immediately on the steam controller that I assumed it's just natural. I am sad to learn that it's not, because it is absolutely the key to enjoying FPSes that aren't console-focused in the first place.

Bigger moves with the trackpad (or stick! which I think is less accurate), and fine moves with the gyro. After a little bit you start continuously gyroing even as you're using the pad/stick and it combines into really smooth, quick aiming. I've been playing Mechwarrior 5 on deck and my PC, and the fact that I can't adjust my stick aim with gyro on the Xbox Elite 2 controller sucks rear end. I keep catching myself moving the controller minutely as I'm aiming to no effect.

The biggest problem the Deck has is the pad is lower and smaller than it is on the steam controller, where I have to bend my thumb less. I do also think the gyro controls themselves felt more natural with the steam controller because of the way you hold it kind ofangled down, rather than upright like the Deck. Accuracy though? Still tops.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 1, 2023